[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So GSW started the trend that will become modern basketball;
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: slashSPslashLASH.jpg (167 KB, 1000x600) Image search: [Google]
slashSPslashLASH.jpg
167 KB, 1000x600
So GSW started the trend that will become modern basketball; Play small and hit 3s.

As someone who has only followed the sport for 2-3 years, I'm surprised it's took this long for this evolution to occur.

Also why are so many Yanks mad about it? Do you want to see 7ft monsters play back to the basket all game?
>>
they should just let big players play physical again. whats the point of being shaq size if you cant muscle people around
>>
Smallball was popularized by the Heat though
>>
>>67958179
Yanks are obsessed with numbers. How tall? How heavy? How many reps? Bench press?

Then a talent comes along without the size and speed but pure skill and they implode.
>>
>>67958139
>As someone who has only followed the sport for 2-3 years
this is all you need to take away from OP's post
>>
File: 1455645533823s.jpg (12 KB, 250x241) Image search: [Google]
1455645533823s.jpg
12 KB, 250x241
>This many butthurt fans
>Jelly of curry

It's just embarrassing
>>
When will they add the four point line? It's inevitable.
>>
>>67958139
Maybe it's because American Sports are closed off from the rest of the world mostly.

They've been so used to big men like Wilt, Kareem and Shaq dominating and a lack of real outside influence (name a game changing player from outside North America) has left the sport, and others, slow to progress.
>>
>>67958359
i'd like to see an "insurmountable lead" shot added somewhere around half court where a make is 5 points but a miss is -1 point to discourage chucking.

i think a 4 point shot would just force small ball chucking to occur so nah
>>
>>67958285
>curry
>talent
>>
>>67958139
>this flag
>this topic
>>
>>67959715
>implying you're capable of even playing sports, let alone do a single thing curry does
>>
>>67959715

>doing the same thing over and over on a consistent basis and nobody can stop you
>luck

Kys faggot
>>
>>67959715
>ballhandling, court vision and shooting are luck-based
>you
>>
>>67958139
>So GSW started the trend that will become modern basketball; Play small and hit 3s.
But they didn't, the 7 seconds or less Suns did
>As someone who has only followed the sport for 2-3 years
There you go. If you've only followed a sport for a few years, you have no idea what you're talking about. Basketball has evolved because of these little things called "rules".
>>
>implying 4chan represents the rest of the american fanbase

Id say other than old-timer "purists", the GSW are america's team. Most people wouldn't have even watched much of the regular season if not for the Warrior's run for 73 and Curry putting up numbers than rival videogame versions of him.

Most people here are just shit posting as usual.
>>
I just want to see above the rim playing again. I hate this style and I hate traditional formal play too. I want Phi Slamma Jamma II
>>
We want to see 7' monsters doing two handed gorilla dunks and big giant goons drawing blood while trying to stop them

We want motherfuckers going hard in da paint and leaving niggas stankin
>>
>>67966000
The entire reason that this style of play has become en vogue is because of number-crunching nerds realizing that it leads to more points per possession than other styles

From a statistical standpoint, leaning heavily on 3s makes sense. Hence, you build a team around that ideology
>>
>>67958139
/sp/ isn't indicative of the whole country. Everyone here hates change AND popularity. With that said, some people will always be upset with change.
>>
>>67958139
>So GSW started the trend that will become modern basketball; Play small and hit 3s.
Weren't the Spurs doing that already?
>>
>>67966373
So were the Heat

And the Suns.
>>
>>67966269

That and the lack of dominant bigs in the league.
>>
It just seems incredibly suspicious how they came back from a 3-1 deficit.

Very good story is all. Lots of "crazy, unbelievable" stories since Silver took over. Like, every fucking record there is has been broken since he took office.

Almost like a new director trying to shake things up

[spoiler]basketball is fucking rigged[/spoiler]
>>
>>67966400
True. Hence why Okafor was such a big deal. It's been arguably since Tim Duncan that there's been a big who could constantly score down low
>>
>>67966113
How old are we talking? You're gonna have to go back to Pistol Pete to find perimeter scoring like that
>>
>>67966437
>the NBA rigged durcant and westcuck turning the ball over

Kek
>>
>>67959715
This post just screams: "I'm fat, useless and angry".

kys
>>
>>67966437
>Like, every fucking record there is has been broken since he took office.

Surely this has nothing to do with the best shooter of all time coming into his own during the reign of a guy who will probably be top 3 all time by the end of his career.
>>
>>67966437
Why can't soccer fags fuck off with their literally proven to be rigged sport?
Just because soccer was rigged, doesn't mean our sports are, stop being butthurt and move on
>>
>>67958445
Dirk was a game changer of sorts in his prime
>>
>>67958359
wouldnt the warriors just dominate even more since they already make the most deep 3s in the league?
>>
>I'm surprised it's took this long for this evolution to occur.
A ton of other teams/coaches have tried it, they just weren't allowed to get away with 1 million moving screens per game so it was never feasible outside of using for a few stretches during games at a time.
>>
>>67966464
Emeka Okafor?
>>
>Basketball
>Physical contact game like Football.

Pick one.
The game is literally "Shoot or Dunk the ball in the hoop". Dunking requires skill in that you need to weave and dodge to get close. Shooting requires kill in that you need to weave, dodge, and calculate how much power you need and which angle to shoot at to get the ball to land in the hoop.

KYS if you seriously believe in this luck meme.
>>
nigga the better teams were always doing this
GSW just relies on it more than the others
>>
File: nofixing.jpg (7 KB, 304x166) Image search: [Google]
nofixing.jpg
7 KB, 304x166
>>67967643
Yes, please move on.
>>
>>67958139
>So GSW started the trend that will become modern basketball
70s Lakers and Celtics
80s Bucks and Nuggets
90s Warriors
00s Mavericks, Supersonics, Suns
10s Heat
>>
>>67958359
Only place I would consider the 4PT line is half court.
>>
I also forgot the Kings who were so successful in memeball that the Lakers needed the refs to bail them out in order to win.
>>
>>67968878

The 70s don't count as the three point line did not exist. Every other team, except the Mavs and Heat, were irrelevant in their decades.
>>
This Warriors stuff has kinda dampened my enthusiasm for basketball. A sport that a lightskin twink can dominate isn't one I can really be a fan of. No problem though, football is much much better.
>>
I've never really watched NBA, but let me get this straight: people are angry because a team consistently scores long-distance efforts instead of running up close, taking at least ten steps with the ball in-hand but not be called for "travelling", and then falling over for the free shot?
>>
>>67969184
Sounds like you prefer a sport were huge black men gang rape your wife
>>
>>67969336

I knew someone would call me a cuck.
>>
>>67969382
Sounds like you were hoping someone would
>>
>>67969407

I dunno what it is but I indeed do prefer sports with very large macho black men. Football has way more of that. Seeing someone like Curry dominate in basketball just hastens my process of becoming an NFL fan.
>>
>>67969295
It's literally buttmads angry because some team brought skill back to the game.

Until this season, the 2014/2015 Houston Rockets held the record for most 3s in a season by a team. GSW is not the first team to chuck it. They're the first team to chuck it and make them at a ridiculously successful rate.

People are mad because frauds and stat padders like Harden can't drive and slam into defenders, flail, toss up a shot for free throws, and still win basketball games. That style killed basketball for a lot of people.
>>
>>67958243
>this
it's like suddenly GSW are the inventors of everything
>>
>>67966323
>popularity
>bandwaggoners
pick both
>>
>>67958139

I'm getting so tired of 3 point hate and Warriors hate threads. I'm not a Warriors fan, but let me set some shit straight for the international crowd

1) 3's have been a part of the game for decades. Every championship team of the last 10 years has used 3's as part of their game. The Warriors are just the first team to employ almost nothing but small ball, and do it really well.

2) The saying is still true, "live by the 3, die by the 3" which means, if you base your game around 3 pointers and you have an off shooting night, you are gonna lose that game. The Warriors are lucky enough to have 2 of the greatest 3 point shooters in history on one team. So it's rare when both guys are off on the same night. Hence their success.

3) It's not just "chucking 3's" and they happen to go in. Hitting 3's takes decades of practice and dedications. People act like the shit is easy, and this is some "trick" to basketball. Hitting an NBA line 3 with no one guarding you is hard, let alone during a pro game with a pro in your face. What Steph and Klay can do represents a high level of talent. It would be like you are playing billiards and no matter the shot you make it almost every single time you shoot.

4) Nothing wrong with Steph or Klay. They both seem like decent people who just want to win. They are way better icons of this great sport than, Lebron "Let me cry to the refs every other play" James, Lebron "I'm going to win 5 to 6 championships now that I teamed up with other Hall of Famers" James.

Hope this makes sense Angland.
>>
File: 1385865687140.gif (2 MB, 245x276) Image search: [Google]
1385865687140.gif
2 MB, 245x276
>>67958359
>4 point shots
>we Harlem Globetrotters now
>mfw that's the day the sport will become a meme forever
>>
>>67967643

Dude. It's fixed.

Look up NBA fixing on Google. There's tons of evidence of ref fixing, lottery fixing, trade fixing, and coaching call fixing over the years.

You are talking to an NBA superfan, and yes it sucks but the game is definitely modified. It's modified with respect to bigger markets, star treatment, and better storylines.
>>
File: 1385922429634.jpg (149 KB, 491x659) Image search: [Google]
1385922429634.jpg
149 KB, 491x659
>>67969754
>The Warriors are lucky enough
>lucky
>meme confirmed
>>
>>67969759

>the NBA isn't already a 3 chucking memeshow
>>
>>67969884
>implying lebron isn't gonna save us from meme hell
america plz
>>
OP hasn't followed the game much, so I will inform him ... small ball was the norm until the '60s. Players would not dunk the ball because it was properly called offensive goaltending. Players would pass and dribble before shooting or a layup because otherwise it was properly called travelling. Players would not ram into each other because it was properly called a foul.

Then Wilt and Russell came along and the fans got excited so the NBA and ABA changed all the rules.

But it wasn't always like that. It's not evolution. It's a return to the basics.
>>
>>67970206

Agreed.
>>
>>67969976
did you miss the lelbron era of /sp/?
>>
>>67969754

I wouldn't say that I'm mad about the 3-point play GSW does. It's the fan base that has made me hate GSW and how they play more than anything. As someone who lives in the Bay Area, I'll just say GSW is the biggest fucking bandwagon in sports history. People couldn't give a shit two years ago, and, this year, when Steve Kerr was out, people had no fucking idea he was gone. I've never been around a more disgusting fan base. However, I believe it's just the Bay Area in general. I,e when Harbaugh was at the 49ers, you couldn't get a seat to save your life. Then, last year, Jed York couldn't even give away seats.

It's so fucking funny playing a pickup game and the amount of people shooting so far outside while screaming 'CURRY!'. Anyone can pull up and shoot a 3-pointer. But how many people can drive the lane with skill?
>>
>>67958139

short answer is they're too good and nobody likes seeing the same team win year after year

nobody really cares about them shooting threes and playing small ball - if lebron had won the past 5 championships everyone would be fine with the warriors doing that to dethrone him
>>
GS can play that way because Draymond can guard bigger players. Also there isn't a dominant post player like Shaq nowadays.

Shaq in his prime would've gotten 60 points and 70 rebounds per game against Green.
>>
>>67958243
Small ball was created by Red Auerbach and implemented by Don Nelson who played on his Celtics teams in the 60s
>>
>>67971378
also from the bay. not a big basketball fan, my teams are A's then Raiders.

bay area is just full of bandwagoners. tons of people wearing niners jerseys who didn't know any niners of the previous eras past montana, rice, young, maybe lott.

as for the pickup game shit about idiots shooting 5% 3pointers, that's not a bay thing. my friends in LA & San Diego are seeing the same thing in their own games.

warriors are pretty entertaining. they tried small ball under don nelson a lot but those teams didn't play defense and got murdered in the paint. this warriors team plays pretty good defense, which makes both sides of the ball entertaining. plus against most teams not OKC they seem to put up a lot of paint points. def not "chuckers", at least not regularly. houston feels more like a chucking team to me.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.