[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question for soccer/futbol fans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
Would you rather a sudden death overtime for big/championship games? As opposed to penalty kicks?

I just can't fathom having important games come down to some penalty shots. Like the Stanley Cup winner coming down to a shootout would be pathetic. Or the NBA Finals being decided by a free throw or 3 point competition.
>>
>>67955533
They tried it before with golden goal. Both sides just ended up parking the bus and waited until it ended.
>>
They tried that once, it sucked. Teams were more afraid of giving up the goal than they wanted to score, so the game devolved into a defensive bore.

Also
>That Leaf
>This Topic
>>
>>67955533
they already tried with golden goal, you idiot. just stick with furpuck, you stupid leaf
>>
Both the current format and your suggestion both suck
>>
They already play 30 mins extra time before a penalty shootout.

Penalty shootouts are exciting as fuck anyway.
>>
>>67955533
It's only after 30min overtime.
We had Golden Goal and Silver Goal rules in OT and all agreed they're shit so we went back to play 2x 15min no matter what.
Endless Sudden Death overtime is only attractive in sports where you can change and rest players at your will.

After 90 mins the typical football players is exhausted and after 30min extra time most of them can't even walk anymore and are just cramp ridden wrecks.

PK's are the only way out.
>>
the fact is people love penalty shootouts.
>>
>>67956817

Only when their teams are not in them
>>
>>67955533
>Or the NBA Finals being decided by a free throw or 3 point competition.

But it is a 3 point competition anon.
>>
>>67955533
>Euro 2004 ball
Fuck yes
>>
>>67955752
it's literally a coinflip
>>
>>67956817
England doesn't.

>>67958037
Proxy off Nigel.
>>
>>67958037
If you can't win the game in two hours you deserve it to be decided on a coin flip.
>>
>>67958037
>>67960966
It's not really a coinflip though

How many pens do you see during shootouts that are easily saved or skied over the bar? That's directly down to the taker not holding his nerve/being too tired. It's influenced by the players, not luck
>>
>>67958037
not really, there's a lot of technique and mind games involved in shooting and blocking penalties, and there's strategy involved in deciding which order to shoot in

there's obviously a lot of luck involved but that's true of regular soccer and literally every sport
>>
>>67955533

sudden death until when? the match could theoretically go forever, dumbfuck. 5 hours of scoreless soccer is a plausible scenario.
>>
>>67955533
wouldn't mind replays, even though your average football watcher likes the drama of shootouts

indefinite overtime is stupid. top level athletes can barely run after 120 minutes, where is the sportsmanship in making them continue?
>>
Golden Goal used to be a thing.

/thread
>>
>>67955533
>>67955533
I don't find it pathetic
The only criticism I ever seem to hear about penalties usually revolves around ''it's random, how can you let something so random decide a final'. It's not random though, winners of penalty shoot outs are the team that are mentally stronger at the end of the game. To walk up and smash the ball into the net takes confidence, if you walked up unsure of whether you were going to beat the keeper then you are immediately at a disadvantage. You have to make the walk knowing that you are going to score.

Knowing the prospect of a game going to penalties also affects the last part of the game. Yesterday we saw Atleti frantically searching for a goal in extra time, this is because deep down they all know that going to penalties means Real have an advantage. Real have Penaldo, Bale, Ramos etc all left on the pitch. Confident players with level heads that you back to put it in the net nearly every time. Atleti can't compete with that confidence so they lost.

Really it comes down to belief of the players, if they believe that they'll win it then they will, Real had belief.

Having said all that I was supporting Atletico and when it came to penalties I wanted them to miss them all because I knew Penaldo would go last, smug bastard
>>
File: 1461185583260.jpg (15 KB, 202x229) Image search: [Google]
1461185583260.jpg
15 KB, 202x229
>murricans will never know the tension of a penalty shootout
>>
File: 1426520694116.jpg (44 KB, 569x506) Image search: [Google]
1426520694116.jpg
44 KB, 569x506
>>67955752
>>67960966
>>67961062
>>67961442
>>67961560
>>67962194

brits defending penalies

im surprised
>>
>>67962418
i think they're great as long as i have no vested interest in either of the teams
>>
As everyone else said, golden goal doesn't work. On the other hand, I do think that sudden death penalties after the penalty shootout is too luck-based, and should be replaced by another shootout, either ad infinitum or maybe two more and then sudden death if need be.
>>
>>67955669

Cringe.
>>
>>67956975

You mean the games are already basically 3 point competitions?

Not really.

Last night the game was extremely close, yet the Warriors outscored the Thunder 63 to 9 in total 3 point points. (21 3 pointers to 3)
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.