[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is he overrated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2
File: 1280px-Wilt_Chamberlain3.jpg (376 KB, 1280x1619) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Wilt_Chamberlain3.jpg
376 KB, 1280x1619
Is he overrated?
>>
>>67856177
definitely, his whole gimmick was being taller than everyone else. Everyone knows it and thats why he's not considered the best player in history, even though his numbers are great.

He did change the sport though, turned into the heightfest its become today.
>>
Hes still one of the top 3 athletes to ever play in the NBA, very arguably #1. And he had an underrated skill based game where he had things like an unstoppable fadeaway jumpshot, not just dunks over 6'5" white guys. His mentality/insecureness was his achilles heel but hes still elite as fuck.

Top 10 easily and probably top 5.
>>
>>67856201
>heightfest
Centers are the most overrated players today. If you are above 6'9 and cant shoot 70+ from the freethrow line and 40+ from mid-range to 3's you arent getting played that often

And yes, he was in a time of no offensive goal tending and other rules
>>
Imagine all the hairy white pantycaves he demolished
>>
>>67856177

Not really, most people don't have him in their top 10 lists anymore
>>
In the same way Pele is. He was the GOAT if you compare him to his own competition, but for most of his career that was Bill Russel and a bunch of 6'6" white boys
>>
>>67856248
>yfw his only known kid is a biracial gay Englishman
>>
>all these faggots who have never seen him play think he wasn't an athletic freak and only benefitted from this idea that he played exclusively against bill Russell and 6'4" unathletic center

First I'd like to point out that the league back then allowed much dirtier defense and what pretty much a constant fast break so the players would sprint up and down the court.

Further he had a vert close to (if not over) 40". For a man his size this isn't astonishing.

Finally he was a legit track star before devoting his time exclusively to ball. All in all he was probably the most athletic player his size in the league ever.

It wasn't just his size, his skill was impeccable. He had an unstoppable fade away and he actually also had a world class hook shot.

In addition to offense he was a defensive presence as well. To illustrate, he actually blocked kareems "unblockable" sky hook multiple times.

Regardless of this changes the league has undergone this guy would be the best player in the league today hands down
>>
>>67856800
>impeccable skill
>literally Andre Drummond tier free throw shooter
pick one
>>
>>67856270
I feel like he's in everyone's top 5
>>
>>67856829

Most lists I see on here (which to be honest is the only place I only ever see such lists) he isn't mentioned, which is pretty ridiculous desu, especially ridiculous when those same lists have Bill Russell on them, I feel Wilt is rather underrated by today's masses
>>
>>67856863
I deliberately do not rate them as I've never seen even video of them.

Someone posted Bob Petit highlights and he was dope.
>>
>>67856817
His coaches said this was due to his strength; he was so strong that shooting from so close was difficult because the form he was always taught put too much power behind it. In fact, he was so strong Arnold Schwarzenegger said that wilt pushed more weight than he ever could with ease.

If I remember correctly one of his coaches said that he had him shoot free throws from the three point line in practice once and he made nearly all of them
>>
>>67856863
Do you rank him above Kareem?
>>
>>67856881
This sounds like the biggest load of bullshit I've heard all week.
>>
>>67856881

id believe this

his hairy shoulders give him that bonus strength
>>
>>67856926

The source.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fn1IaTMQM

Believe it or not I frankly don't give a shit because a British "person's" opinion on anything, especially basketball, is less than worthless to me
>>
>>67856902

No, of course not
>>
>>67856926

The source.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V8fn1IaTMQM

Believe it or not I frankly don't give a shit because a British "person's" opinion on anything, especially basketball, is less than worthless to me
>>
>>67856926
naw it's all true, wilt was something else
>>
>>67856945
Yeah, because coaches never give players bullshit excuses and people definitely never exaggerate unverifiable stories from the past.

Fuck off, he was an atrocious shooter.
>>
>>67856945
>couldn't hit a FT to save his life
>b-but he made a billion out of a billion from half court, I swear on me mum
lmao
>>
>>67856948

Don't you have a picture of tony romo to jack off too or something?
>>
He's probably the only big man from that era who would be close to as good today. The 100 point game however is the single most overrated accomplishment in the history of sport.
>>
File: IfSNFsH.jpg (100 KB, 640x595) Image search: [Google]
IfSNFsH.jpg
100 KB, 640x595
idk but arnold schawrznigga said he was the strongest man he ever met
>>
>>67856975
proof that you're a shithead
https://youtu.be/h0IC8Nwkd1w
>>
>>67856248
>Imagine all the hairy white pantycaves he demolished

The weird thing is that before that book he was rumored to be gay and his teammates say they never saw him with women.
>>
>>67856863
>especially ridiculous when those same lists have Bill Russell on them, I feel Wilt is rather underrated by today's masses

that's because people on the internet listen to Bill Simmons, someone who literally doesn't know anything about Basketball.

He is one of the top 5 big men of all time and would have dominated today.
>>
>>67857669
I apologise, this clip of him fluking 4 shots totally proves that he was missing FTs because he was actually too good to make them.
>>
>>67856881
It wasn't the three point line, but half court, and I think he said he made all of them.
>>
>>67856177
I dunno to be honest, it looks like he has potentially excellent passing and decent enough speed in old tapes. The fact he was tall as shit is a big drawback and he could be considered overated due to that, but honestly at this point the NBA/ABA was the only basketball league in the world, only the best/athletic still got in. You also have to consider that back then players could play 48 minutes if they wanted to, and as a result it's much easier to get 50 points in 48 minutes compared to 34. I know there was a YT channel who focussed on this, but he actually re-adjusted the statistics of some players, and Wilt would have put up pretty decent numbers, maybe not top 10 and it's the same with Bill/Robertson. It still would have been good to see Wilt chuck insane points, because it does get tiring after a while, and I assume most modern day center would not be able to shoot near the same level. That isn't to say people like Shaq and Kareem couldn't, on the contrary, if Kareem played from 58-78 he'd have exceeded 42k points easily. I dunno, it's tough. Whatever, good player with inflated stats.
>>
>>67856201
he played against BILL RUSSEL
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.