[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ESPN's new website says Math is racist to African Americans
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 15
File: riversfedex.jpg (171 KB, 1677x862) Image search: [Google]
riversfedex.jpg
171 KB, 1677x862
ESPN's new website "The Undefeated" says that numbers and analysis is biased against African Americans. Michael Wilbon says math should was created by "white people" therefore it cannot be trusted to analyze African Americans.
>>
>>67836046
> 2016
> referring to African-Americans as "blacks"
> ISHYGDDT
>>
The Undefeated is ESPN's new website for the black community to call our racism.
>>
>>67836046
maybe they are idiots
>>
>>67836046
quotes, with proper context, or I'm going to assume you are twisting his words around to start a bait thread and get 100s of replies just so you can get a little relief from your shitty life with no friends

Wilson is usually pretty on point
>>
>>67836092
sup nigger
>>
>>67836092
Except when he was.defending fellow dindu Drayboon Screen for nutshotting a man because apparently he's been rubbing elbows with the """"""people""""" unashamedly niggerish The Uneducated

Fuck Wilbon. Dude has zero integrity.
>>
>>67836092
Who the fuck is Wilson?
>>
>>67836046
Wow the stupidity of this assertion is unbelievable. Math is just math. I get it if you argue that SAT testing was biased towards white people but math. Hahahhaa the levels of stupidity. The Chinese and Persians invented math anyways.
>>
>>67836145

>The Chinese and Persians invented math anyways.

Absolutely not, math predates any known civilization, try reading a book sometime
>>
>>67836046
But are the best at math. They created exact specifications to build the pyramids, while white people were cavemen. Tldr;

>WE WUZ KANGS N SHIEEEET
>>
For anyone wanting to read the link.

https://theundefeated.com/features/mission-impossible-african-americans-analytics/

OP is right. Apparently analytics is a way for college educated professionals (see: whites/asians/jews) to encroach on ape hoop.
>>
Just read the article. Literally not what it says at all OP.

In fact, the article "says" pretty much nothing.
>>
>>67836062
black is the correct term, you can only be an african-american if you personally immigrated from africa.
>>
okay u dumbfucks i just read it and it basically says numbers are used by whites to hold down blacks without actually saying it
>>
Fuck Wilbon. Guy's a racebaiter and ignorant fuck.

Also,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtpkDG4wCV8
>>
This part is particularly hilarious:
>If the larger sports world is moving in the direction of analytics and we aren’t, isn’t that dangerous? Are we then talking about a dearth of black professionals in the talent pool being scoured by the white, analytics-driven executives who run teams, leagues and networks?
Why don't black people study mathematics more then? Are NBA teams supposed to curtail any analytical innovation because it might exclude a group of different-minded individuals?
>>
File: 1464077555586.gif (704 KB, 399x299) Image search: [Google]
1464077555586.gif
704 KB, 399x299
He refers to WHIP as an advanced analytic
>>
>>67836391
>different-minded
Riiiiiiiiiiight
>>
I'm not particularly into analytics myself but Wilbon is so vehemently against them that I can't take anything he says seriously.
>>
>>67836215
>implying I'm going to give clickbucks to ESPN
the faster they die a painful death the better
>>
>>67836252
man I like amin but come the fuck on. if you blame the whites for this then blame your own culture for laughing at people for liking education.

its so retarded to say that
>>
>>67836410
How is that racist at all? The article states that black people don't observe NBA analytics. If I'm an NBA team owner and looking to win using analytics, why would I hire anybody who isn't on-board with my plan?
>>
>>67836437
It's not """different minded"""

It's literally just ignorant nigger shit. You're enabling these coons
>>
File: hD28BA312.png (336 KB, 708x357) Image search: [Google]
hD28BA312.png
336 KB, 708x357
math is for everyman, be they white, be they colored, be they oriental
>>
>>67836391
>Are NBA teams supposed to curtail any analytical innovation because it might exclude a group of different-minded individuals?
You answered your own question. Also, blacks are not that large a percentage of the American population and definitely not that large in math and science degrees. It's not like there are a million unemployed black statisticians being held back by racism, there just aren't that many to begin with
>>
File: horsesex.png (115 KB, 271x282) Image search: [Google]
horsesex.png
115 KB, 271x282
>>67836046
I'm pretty sure all he's saying is analytics-driven arguments make sports banter with your bros less fun.
>>
>>67836448
Based paul george on the right
>>
but blacks invented math back when they wuz kangs.
>>
>>67836485
They weren't actually kangz. They were slaves...

No idea where that meme started
>>
>why dont we just use per 48 minutes lol
what is pace

Michael Wilbon, certified nigger.
>>
there was a time, kids, when ESPN was a very good cable channel. Then Disney bought them.

Believe it or not, you could even turn on the Weather Channel and get the weather. Now it's the weather from somewhere else ten years ago.

ESPN has sucked for 20 years, although you can still get scores and live updates on their site.
>>
>math
>>
>>67836623

Very few things as sad as those who revel in ignorance
>>
>>67836623
>maths
>>
>>67836046
>call themselves african americans
>doesn't realize africans and mudslimes invented math
>>
>>67836653
worse yet those that pity them out of a sense of superiority
>>
>>67836448

These niggas posing, holding a book that has themselves posing, holding a book on the damn covers. Ain't that some shit?
>>
>>67836391
>black professionals
>black
>professionals
>>
>these mathematics be keepin a brother down

what a stupid nigger. And double fuck him for enabling coons to keep being retarded fuckheads
>>
>>67836490
Because there were 1 or 2 Egyptian kings resembling something close to black skin. Imagine blacks looking back at Obamas term in 500 years and saying "WE WUZ PRESIDENTS N SHIT" as if that somehow implies that in 2016 all blacks dominated the world
>>
>>67836679

Not at all, revelling in ignorance is far worse, go read a book already
>>
>>67836816

I miss you Gief I miss P.Manning
>>
What's wrong with simple mathematics?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m5vw4ajnWGA
>>
>>67836899

I miss you too bro

https://youtu.be/5n6gbpCqA5g
>>
Michael Wilbon speaks the truth and the racists of spee can't handle it hahahah
>>
>>67836046
>The Undefeated
>every article is about how defeated black people are
Who's undefeated then? Whites?
>>
If anything, it just says that white people are unathletic nerds while black people are magical and just go by feeling
>>
If you read the article it actually makes sense, especially the part with Elhassan.

Also I also belong to the >muh analytics camp when it comes to apehoop.
>>
>>67836046

>math was created by "white people" therefore it cannot be trusted

Do black people in america actually believe there is some sort of massive global spanning white people conspiracy against them?

99.9% of us genuinely don't give a fuck one way or the other about them.
>>
>>67838578
“So many front offices are staffed by guys like me, who didn’t play the game, who didn’t come in through the coaching ranks … Don’t tell me that there are no black people who are good at math. There are black people who expert at qualitative analysis,” Elhassan said. “I worry that it becomes a way to exclude. Don’t tell me there aren’t any black people on Wall Street who are passionate about basketball. These people exist. Wall Streeters, people with qualitative analysis backgrounds. I know them. I went to school with them. I just don’t believe that one ethnicity is more predisposed to this than another. You realize, of course, that this is the new gateway into the game … into sports?”
>>
The irony of this article of course is that by asking everyone to dumb down their hiring expectations because he wants to hold black people to a lower standard, he's effectively calling black people stupid.

It's a patronizing racism of low expectations.
>>
>>67838607
If I'm a black analytics expert on wall street, why the fuck would I take way less money to do analytics for some sports team.
>>
>>67836046
This porch monkey yard slave ass nigga is embarrassing... true definition of an uncle tom is this nigga right here... trying to make sure dumb dark ass niggas stay dumb, and hate "whitey magic." I'm going for a phd in math (complex dynamics), and yea, I'm black. I'm not the only one either. This fucking dumb ass brute wants us to stay brutes. Fuck him.
>>
>>67840099
There's big money in professional sports, and usually you can get away with being more shit at what you're doing since there's less people who're into specific sports modeling to call you out.
>>
>>67840099
Chasing a dream by wanting to help the home team? Got fired for being uninspired?
>>
I'm dumb as a rock but sports analytics are easy as fuck to understand.
>>
Honestly, I have to agree with Wilbon here. Although I think singling it out to blacks is shortsighted.

For the older folk sports were for jocks and blue collar fans, for the most part. The nerds did their nerd shit.

Now you have these autistic statisticians moving in trying to take over the way sports are talked about, all while demeaning anyone who doesn't like doing math to follow sport.

This includes most black sports fans, most blue collar white sports fans, most jocks... but not most sports writers, many of whom are now millennial nerds. Which is a twopart issue since yea, they're pretentious faggots shoving math down our throat, but the millennial in them makes them pussies that throw hissy fits whenever anyone speaks out against them, and they rally all their other faggy writers in the echo chamber to drown out whatever point dared to run counter to theirs.
>>
>>67838606
Yes, some do, thanks to the reinforcement by talking heads in media, especially sports
>>
File: 1445450070301.jpg (165 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1445450070301.jpg
165 KB, 640x480
I mean how do the statistician metric losers explain the Houston Rockets? On paper they should have been the BEST team in the NBA. They only shot 3s, freethrows and layups/dunks. They assembled the best team math could find.

It's almost like you don't win games in a calculator or something.
>>
>>67840741
There's literally a huge difference betweeen alanytics and Morey's dumb "dont take any midrange jumpers, they're poison!" shit

Pay attention to basketball just a little bit, okay?
>>
>>67840758

Spotted a nerd.
>>
Fire Stephen A. and Skip or isolate their articles to this site and i won't give a shit.
>>
>>67836046

That's not really what that article says at all. The article IS anti-intellectual with some side-eyed race-baiting, but your reading comprehension skills are shit.

There are two parts to the article.

1) Black people and old school journalists don't give a shit about analytics. Fine.

2) Analytical skill is "potentially" (and he vacillated on it just enough to give himself plausible deniablity if it blows up in his face) a means for white owners to exclude black GMs and black coaches who "know the game" but don't have advanced degrees. Which is where the race-bait comes in.
>>
>>67836046
I love how he uses the word analytics, not knowing it's translation from greek is logic. he's basically shouting I HATE LOGIC throughout the article. also why do you americans have a website designed for black people playing apehoop? we don't have cricket websites for indians in england or football websites for niggers what's the point, a sport is a sport universally there's no 'black basketball' and 'white basketball'
>>
>>67840713

Yikes, post screamed of retardation. Using math in sports is an excellent way to validate the value of a player and many other things. Instead of sitting there writing, "He dun playd real gud today scoring 300 points". You can use mathematics to explore how the player did what he did, how he exposed the other teams weaknesses, etc... There are a lot of things wrong with millennials but claiming their problem is math is not fucking one of them

Crack open a fucking math textbook gramps
>>
>>67841256
>why do you americans have a website designed for black people playing apehoop
because some jew somewhere deemed it would be profitable
>>
>>67841406

>profitable

lolno not even fucking close. Grantland was operating a humongous loss and so will The Undefeated. No amount of ad revenue can pay for the salaries of big name writers, altho ESPN is saving a little by having some of their already employed ppl write. It is nothing more than them catering to the sjw culture.
>>
>>67841395
I don't really think analytics is very useful in apehoop For luckswing yes but for a team oriented game it's applicable only to certain situations, more than what these advanced stat guys purport it to be.
>>
File: 1440633603407.jpg (20 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
1440633603407.jpg
20 KB, 350x350
>>67836046
is there anything niggers wont complain about?
>>
>>67836046
>rad/s
>>
do black people read? if not, how can this website get off the ground successfully?
>>
File: 1463631278794.jpg (63 KB, 532x242) Image search: [Google]
1463631278794.jpg
63 KB, 532x242
maf is rayciss
>>
>>67836062
half of the people you call African American have ties to the Caribbean and not Africa at all. Blacks is the correct term and nobody is gonna nigmug you if you say it
>>
>Be billy bean
>Use analytics
>Win over 100 games
>Still lose to the Yankees
>>
ESPN is dead in the water so they are going into maximum overdrive with clickbait and controversial bullshit

They are going to throw out a lot of bullshit over the next 2-3 years as they die kicking and screaming.
>>
>>67842342

The funny part is that it's biggest demographic will be 20ish to mid 30s white males.

While it is obviously a site for black people, it'll mostly just be read by guilty white people. Black people get their news and all that shit elsewhere. They're not gonna change to read some longform by Wilbon or whatev.
>>
>>67836046
kek the absolute madman
>>
>>67842430
Black people get their "news" from World Star because it's all memes and slang lingo and ass.

Why the hell would they want to read black and white text by some black-apologist-white guy
>>
File: blaze pup.png (350 KB, 260x468) Image search: [Google]
blaze pup.png
350 KB, 260x468
>tfw I tutor at a community college
>tfw I make bank prepping 35 year old nigs for algebra 1 level tests
>>
>>67837921
UNDEFEATED CHAMPS OF CIVILIZATION

WHO /white/ HERE
>>
File: 1461787584431.webm (547 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1461787584431.webm
547 KB, 640x640
>>67842539
>>
>He later went on to say "Basketball was invented by "white people" therefore it cannot be trusted to analyze African American's skill at Basketball"
>>
File: 1436441494902.jpg (202 KB, 640x637) Image search: [Google]
1436441494902.jpg
202 KB, 640x637
>math was creative
Hilarious

Its not racist at all. Walk into any engineering class and tell me why its predominantly white.
Hint: IQ is exclusively higher the lighter your skin tone
>>
>>67842578
kek what the fuck
>>
File: 1462010812558.gif (1 MB, 156x183) Image search: [Google]
1462010812558.gif
1 MB, 156x183
>>67842687
>>
>>67842660
I'm in eng, its predominently Arab desu
>>
>>67842578
>>67842698
>not posting the one with the top tier qt recording her
>>
All the race shit aside, schools here really should prioritize statistics more, especially for students who aren't going into any technical/STEM field.

You hate calculus, fine, but you shouldn't be allowed to graduate without a good foundation of statistical literacy.
>>
File: adriana lima no make up.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
adriana lima no make up.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>67842660
>engineering
>predominantly white

unless you count asian as white
>>
>>67842741
Schools want people to be useless retards. All part of the plan.

If you send your child to public school you are a piece of shit parent.
>>
>>67842698
>>67842578
But what's the original from?
>>
>>67836046
>Sports Metrics Movement

Wut?
>>
The numeric system we, and everybody else, uses was created by arabs
>>
>>67843144
indians were the first actually
>>
>>67843322
and cuneiform predates both
>>
MATH IS A HATE CRIME
>>
>>67843144
You mean the numerals. Arabs didn't invent Base 10
>>
>>67842578
Why is she literally chimping out
>>
>>67848956

She disagreed with the speaker and was trying to shout him down so he couldn't talk
>>
No one "invented" math. Math exists with or without humans.
>>
>>67853171
Who behaves like this?

Why is it just now in our history we're seeing this shit?
>>
>hurr math was created
no faggot, math was discovered
>>
>>67843090
search trigglypuff on youtube
>>
>>67842802
>If you send your child to private or home school you are a piece of shit parent.

Fixed.
>>
WE WUZ BAD AT MATH
>>
>>67854517

>Who behaves like this?

People who don't want their ideas challenged

>Why is it just now in our history we're seeing this shit?

This behavior is as old as civilization
>>
>>67836145
>he doesn't know that even most animals can do basic forms of math like count to make sure everyone is in their pack
>>
>>67836653
I wish I could SPD Michael Wilbon
>>
>>67855774
This seems worse than your typical historic pleb behavior senpai
>>
>>67836203
No because reading is racist towards blacks
>>
File: 97 fta.gif (2 MB, 337x308) Image search: [Google]
97 fta.gif
2 MB, 337x308
>>67836145
as if the chinese can invent something.
they just copy, that's all.
chinks just announce they invented something backed by "ancient chinese writings discovered and decoded by chinese scholars".
>>
>>67855543
>>67855543
For your own retarded offsprings sake I really hope you dont believe this.
>>
>>67836046
Of course it was written by wilbon
>>
>>67840741
>On paper they should have been the BEST team in the NBA
No
>>
>>67836524
>although you can still get scores and live updates on their site.
yeah but isn't google starting to replace that now? it's quicker and less painful, although it doesn't have as many details yet.
>>
Just scrolled through the article; he slighty alludes to an "old boys network" of ivy leaguers hiring each other on the basis of their predilection for analytics, but he also spends a decent amount of time saying black people are excluding themselves if they don't accept that this is the way sports are going and refuse to get with the times.
>>
>>67861867
So basically stats analysis is racist, and that means black people should do it too? Makes perfect sense.
>>
Post examples of "black stats" that niggers would like to track instead

>most kicks worn per season
>child support payments dodged
>beatdown efficiency: injuries caused against other players divided by games missed due to suspension
>>
>>67836092
>Wilbon is usually pretty on point
Kys, Wilbon is a stupid homer who refuses to learn about anything other than basketball but that doesnt stop him from saying stupid shit. You fell for le PTI meme

Stephen A is a retard too but at least he doesnt pretend to do anything other than say inflammatory shit
>>
>>67836046
Source or gtfo faggot
>>
>>67836046
>math should was created

English should was created by crackas too u dumdum whiteboi
>>
Stephen a. Smith went on a rant yesterday talking about this article
He went on and on about how black coaches knew who had heart and who played with intensity
And people who use analytics are racist
>>
>>67862023
># of kids from different mothers
>>
>>67836046
Jesus christ its real. Surely this is a satirical post. Nope, its fucking real
>>
>>67842381
>half of the people you call African American have ties to the Caribbean
>and not Africa at all

>Africans weren't brought to the Caribbeans during the slave trade
>>
>>67861964
No. He says that currently the preference for analytics is white-dominated and that creates the /possibility/ of exclusion, but that black people can't complain if they're refusing to get with the time.
>>
>>67862930
I guess that makes sense from a purely generalization kind of way, but the way black-driven media agendas usually go, I have to wonder if the hidden message there is still just egging on blacks to get mad at all of it. black culture has set themselves up to be so vehemently opposed to anything that could be deemed as white, that they'll willingly choose to be stupid if being smart means you're acting white.

I mean, this is an exaggeration, but if some highly visible black persion in the media unironically pushed forward a movement that using toilet paper was too white, there'd be some of those types of black people that would stop using it, be proud of not using it, and shame other black people for using it.
>>
The fuck? Wasn't Algebra invented by Arabs and geometry invented by kangz? Fucking niggers are so god damn stupid. Fuck it. They don't have to learn math. Let them all be god damn retards throwing balls around for the rest of their lives.
>>
>>67836524
>you can still get scores from their website

And yet they still do a shitty job at that, since their website has to load the three videos it wants to play you and all 5 of the articles it wants you to read, not to mention showing the scores of the games you don't give a shit about
>>
>>67863344
I remember when back in middle school I downloaded a software thing from their website that was the exact same thing as the ESPN ticker, but ran independently of anything else and was JUST that. It updated itself in real-time with news and scores, and you could just have it scrolling along while you were playing runescape or whatever. I wonder why they stopped doing that. Damn shame, really.
>>
i dont know why but so many people who cant do math get incredibly insecure whenever they get pointed out. im not horrible in math, i can solve questions as long as i have the equations and everything in front of me but it takes me a long time to understand mathematic fundamentals and its reasonings. never did well in math classes and my friends made poked fun at me for much of my school life but i never threw a fit. everyone has limitations why not embrace it
>>
>>67863491
because being good at math and science is seen as equivalent to being smart, and being good at things like english or humanities is seen as equivalent to being creative. left-brain right-brain idea but extremely distorted, misunderstood, and then blown out of proportion.
Thread replies: 133
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.