[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does MLS ruin your National Team prospects?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7
So the the MVP, Golden Boot winner, and marquee player Giovinco hasn't been selected for Italy's Euro 2016 preliminary squad. Nor has fellow Italian Pirlo, who's at NYCFC.

Gio Dos Santos, LA Galaxy's Mexican DP was also left out of his country's Copa America squad for this years competition.

Jermaine Defoe, whilst playing at Toronto, was left out of England's 2014 WC squad, much to his chagrin.

Is the message now loud and clear that going to MLS means kissing your International career goodbye, or are there other factors behind all these players' respective omissions?
>>
>>67800812
Dos Santos made the Copa America squad but he declined it.
>>
>>67800812
Giovinco is objectively not talented enough to make the Italian team. He looks good when he plays vs shit players in the mls of course. Also hes a midget. No one wants a midget on their team except France.

Pirlo is a grandpa and a meme player.

Defoe is objectively a cancer.

Gio dos Santos is a talented player but he cares more about pussy and parties than fĂștbol.
>>
>>67800812
gio and pirlo have talked to conte about it. nobody will say anything until the actual squad is named
>>
File: gignac_dabura.jpg (40 KB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
gignac_dabura.jpg
40 KB, 720x404
>>67800812
LIGA MX > MLelS
>>
>>67800812
Giovinco has a case
But Pirlo has been horrible
And Dos Santos declined a call-up but he hasn't been in MLS
Defoe had a good start but is cancerous so I'd avoid him too
>>
>2014 Defoe
>relevant
>>
>>67800896
dat precision burn
>>
>>67800812
It depends. A lot of Jamaican players who play in MLS got picked for the Copa squad even though they're shit. We just don't have a lot of good players though tbf
>>
obviously, yes
if you don't play in a top league you normally can't be called up for a major NT
>>
>>67800988
So, what you're saying is that any achievements or accolades acquired whilst playing in MLS level leagues are deemed to be entirely worthless?
>>
>>67801155
yes
>>
>>67801155
To be fair Pirlo's play shouldn't warrant any kind of call up
>>
>>67801155
Pretty much, yeah
>>
>>67801155
Yes
>>
File: 894684545.png (129 KB, 268x261) Image search: [Google]
894684545.png
129 KB, 268x261
>>67800896
>>
>>67800812
Defoe wouldn't have been guaranteed for the '14 WC team, but yeah he killed whatever chance he had by going there.

Giovinco must be a bit embarrassing for MLS though. Not gonna help them convince any european internationals under the age of 30 to go there.
>>
The fact of the matter is he couldn't cut it in Serie A, he didn't even think of joining some easier european league like EPL or Ligue 1 and totally fucking ran away, not even to the MLS, but up north.

It's not just a problem of competition but of physical challenge, what kind of fucking challenge can you have over there? Considering he's set on outscoring his entire italian career over just two seasons, I'd say not much. He's definitely not ready. But then again who knows, maybe they'll call him anyway, the attacking line up is beyond shit, it's like shit taking a shit.
>>
>>67801155
I seriously doubt NT coaches just look to see what awards players get when deciding if they should be called up.

They probably watch tape of that player, and account for the league they're in when viewing it.
>>
euro's sniffing their own farts as usual, reason why the sport is dead here.
>>
>>67800896
Honestly it's a little a sad that France has resorted to a liga mx literallywho for their backup. Normally Benzema would have been in there
>>
>>67800812
Christ knows why any American worth a shit thows their weight behind MLS anyway. The only way to grow the sport over there is to support their local lower league movements, not some weird pyramid scheme format that bends over for semi-retired euro-plebs.
>>
>>67802391
You obviously don't know how American sports work
>>
>>67800812
you're welcome
>>
If you're a European player, going to the MLS means

a) you've retired
b) you've given up and are settling for a /comfy/ career over
>>
It's more likely that his former coach didn't want him or the fact he's a turbomanlet.
>>
>>67802391
Our soccer federation actually has minimum ownership net worth requirements for all our professional soccer leagues. The whole league system in the US is designed as a hobby for billionaires.
>>
>>67802646
That's some shameful shit. Hopefully it pushes more proper US football fans towards the grass-roots element.
>>
MLS Is dog shit.
t. liga mx fan.
>>
>>67802933
It is, but as soon as a lower-division team sees any success, it attracts the attention of the bigger leagues. That means the grassroots-type team needs to be bought out by aforementioned high-net-worth individuals to bring it up to the top three divisions, or one of those divisions will simply airdrop a new franchise next to the existing team and let the original starve.

See Detroit City, Nashville FC, the Atlanta Silverbacks, and Minnesota United.
>>
>>67802933
Why?
>>
>>67803009
CHI
>>
>>67803009
>>67803035
CAN
>>
>>67801155
If you play in the MLS I wouldn't even have you in any form of consideration. Play in a European league or don't expect shit tbqh.
>>
>>67802467
Or you have an autistic daughter and the best treatment available is in Canada.
>>
>>67803103
who?
>>
File: laurent_ciman_efg[1].jpg (797 KB, 2668x1490) Image search: [Google]
laurent_ciman_efg[1].jpg
797 KB, 2668x1490
>>67803127
>>
>>67800812
I honestly don't get how can people be upset at Giovinco and Pirlo not being called up.
Pirlo is ancient and had already announced his retire from the national team, and Giovinco is just fucking shit, he barely ever play for Italy when he was young (he will improoove) and played for Juve (convocatio ab notorietas), now that he's like 28 and plays against Yogi and Booboo, what's his excuse?
>>
File: MORGAN.jpg (53 KB, 620x372) Image search: [Google]
MORGAN.jpg
53 KB, 620x372
>>67800965
WES MORGAN
>>
>>67803432
>yogi and booboo

kek
>>
They'll be okay as this kind of stuff won't bother the 33y/o eurogimps that've retired from the international scene anyway..
>>
File: IMG_20160523_162916.jpg (77 KB, 1080x458) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160523_162916.jpg
77 KB, 1080x458
>>
>>67800812
Depends on the nation, for most of Western Europe the quality of opposition in MLS is too low to be a good indicator of how the player will perform. For other countries that don't have the numbers in the more difficult leagues MLS is fine to draw from. It isn't necessarily that someone who performs well in mls couldn't for their national team it's just that it's not a reliable example to use in a situation where the opposition can change so dramatically
>>
>>67803893
Who is Taylor Twelman and what's he referencing?
>>
>>67803893
who?
>>
>>67802646
Did the death of the original NASL teach you shills NOTHING???
>>
>>67802933
>NASL
>grassroots

HAHAHAHAHA You can't be fucking serious, right?
>>
>>67804204
It taught us not to overspend on marketing and big name foreign players, not to play in NFL stadiums, and not to hang the success of the league on the sustained interest of billionaires with little knowledge of soccer.

>>67804225
These last two posts are the only ones bringing up NASL, so you're the only one making that connection. You know there are other leagues, right?
>>
>>67800812
the fact these players go to the MLS to play shows you what the problem is moran
>>
as an american, I hate mls. I hate that our player come back here if they can't make it in Europe. Michael Bradley is not that good, but he should've stayed and fought for a spot. Tim Howard is old so it is his time. Clint Dempsey is old, and proved that he was good in Europe. Landon Donovan was good, and it pisses me off that he did not go to Europe for more than a loan. Jozy Altidore has always sucked ass, he can't even score in MLS. MLS just over pays people to come back and it is annoying. I wish David Beckham never came here.
>>
>>67804319
As an American, I hate yuroboos. I hate the yuroboo mentality. The game is going to grow being played somewhere else.
>>
>>67800896
>Tigays lost to Montegay kek
>>
>>67801969
There's so much wrong with this post I don't know where to begin.
>>
>>67804319
As a Mexican I too fucking hate the MLS, just visiting the states btw.
>>
>>67804319
I think I'm the only British guy alive that thinks Bradley is actually a pretty decent player. Given the ball in the final third he seems to regularly find the pass to play someone into a good position.

I'm surprised he went back to the US. He could play in England or Germany's top flight. Not at a big club, not even a team fighting for a top half finish, but somewhere. I've seen worse players in both leagues. I don't blame him for taking the $$$ though.
>>
>>67804513
I thought he was going to make it at Villa but he only played like 2 games
>>
>>67804240
The grassroots NASL thing was more directed at the British anon who's been posting the same cookie-cutter comments in related threads for at least the past week. Last thread I saw him in he mentioned the NASL specifically.

I'm not the biggest fan of the league structure right now myself but I think that until we start seeing some changes in perceptions and the general American sports landscape the MLS is the best we're going to get for the next several years unless we take some potentially catastrophic gambles.
>>
>>67800857
>No one wants a midget on their team except France

Are you talking about valbuena?
>>
>>67800896
fat gypsie who can thank payet and bielsa for hiding his flaws and can thank valbuena for Benzema
>>
>>67804558
Wasn't that when McLeish was their manager? That guys brand of football was worse than fucking LVG's.
>>
>>67804638
Oh, fair enough.

Agreed regarding MLS - the whole league is structured specifically to minimize risk to the owners, and after getting through the rocky 1996-2002 startup period it seems to have succeeded. It's boring as all hell, in part because of that lack of risk, but it'll stick around until something else comes up that can compete for people's attention - if something ever does.
>>
If playing in Europe mattered, you'd think Portugal would be able to beat USA.

Or Italy could beat Costa Rica.
>>
>>67804319
jozy had two monster seasons in the dutch league and he's one of the most prolific scorers for the US national team all time, and many of those goals came against teams that have qualified for WCs in recent years.

He's never been great by any means, but he absolutely has not "always sucked ass"
>>
>>67804717
Italy's performance at the group stages is traditionally unrelated to the players' quality. Just like the result of official matches between Italy and Germany. It's just how it is.
>>
>>67804674
Hating on based Gignac
>>
Why would giving need to be called for the preliminary squad when he's already in form?
>>
>>67801155

Absolutely. It is such a shit tier league. Like comically bad. The average MLS player can't even consistently bring a ball down.
>>
>>67804824
USA has performed better than Italy the last two World Cups and tied them in the group stages of their championship run in 2006.

What do you say to that?
>>
>>67801969
>easier european league like EPL

kek
>>
>>67804849
easy, learn the tactics.
>>
>>67804884
Exactly the same thing I've already said. Italy performs badly at the group stages regardless of who they field. No point in evaluating the team's performance before they hit the knock off stage.
>>
>all those butthurt articles from MlelcuckS angry that Shitvinco didnt make the Italy Euro squad

Kek
>>
>>67805262
Just out of interest, are MLS staff known to shill the fuck out of reddit?

I've got a friend who worked on an IT project for them a little while ago and he reckons that half their junior staff just sit around posting positve things about MLS on social media.
>>
>>67800896
Common knowledge, m8.
>>
If Verratti and Marchisio were healthy, Conte may have played the 3-4-3 he was testing in March. In a front three, Giovinco has a shot because he can play wide and go 1 v 1 with a fullback (see his good seasons at Parma and with the U21).

With their injuries, Conte is going 3-5-2 to shore up the midfield, and Giovinco can't do shit as a striker (see his time at Juve).
>>
>>67804885

EPL has been literally parroting Serie A for twenty years (ever since Vialli and Cashiraghi and Chelsea), Lester won by mimicking Italian catenaccio through and through, except the current absolute top tier of your football is so pathetic they could actually do it. Ranieri tried to pull the exact same shit with Roma and it didn't work.
>>
>>67806107

>*joined Chelsea
>>
>>67806107
>parroting Serie A for twenty years

Haha, what nonsense you post!

The EPL hasn't looked towards Serie A since the mid 90s. If anything over the past decade it has attempted to implement more Spanish ideals than any other cultural reference point. Leicester's win was a wonderful fluke, but Ranieri couldn't get close to the title with a stronger Chelsea side 10 years previous.

If the EPL had been parroting Serie A principles, then the following would be in place;

>empty stadiums with poor attendance
>underwhelming television contracts
>inability to purchase players without lengthy repayment plans
>minimal interest in its league outside its own country
>low match-day revenues
>playing in outdated stadiums, which they do not own
>inability to attract lucrative commercial partners

Wake up, Giuseppe. No top league looks towards any Italian model. Least of all the English.
>>
>>67806107
>and it didnt work

Roma were 2 points from winning the league that season. They just choked altogether in the final stretch and ultimately were cucked by Mou's historic treble winning Inter
>>
>>67806107
>EPL has been literally parroting Serie A for twenty years
You don't really believe this.
>>
the truth is, MLS is the league of retirees, former stars, people looking for the last high paycheck

why would anyone call up a retiree?

Giovinco is an exception, but an uber performance in a league of elders is meaningless
>>
>>67804884
If you think USA in anywhere near Italy's level you are beyond delusional
Kek
>>
>Does going to a weak league damage your national team prospects?

How is this even a question, yes by playing in the 3rd Serbian division you are less likely to be called up for the national team
>>
>>67806604
>tournament performances should not be used as indicators of national team success

Kys
>>
>>67806583
To be fair with how awful your front line, might as well call up the in form guy who is raping the MLS. Sure its a shit league but he is still dominating it.

I mean, France called up Gignac from Mexico and Germany called up Gomez from Turkey. Worth the risk.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.