[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
well /sp/? is he right? are americans instinctively bad at defending?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: americans.png (23 KB, 690x131) Image search: [Google]
americans.png
23 KB, 690x131
well /sp/? is he right? are americans instinctively bad at defending?
>>
>>67679962
I believe it. I was a high level defender when I played and I anchored the field.

But I got interested in other sports so all that's left are bad people.

I didn't even start out as a defender. Everyone just sucked at it so I dominated always thinking 3 seconds ahead.
>>
>>67680182
>I was really good so I quit
Yeah okay retard
>>
>>67679962
No, he's wrong, because many high-level, or prolific, European defenders also mark the wrong space or are found out of position. David Luiz is constantly criticized for these things all the time.

Using Yedlin as an example of "bad Americans" is idiotic, when you look at Miazaga's debut match for Chelsea, or Geoff for Stoke.
>>
>>67679962
Makes sense. American players have great fitness but poor technical ability.
>>
>>67679962

I'd blame the American coaches for not educating the little shitters then. Tactics and mentality are often taught.
>>
>>67680417
I'm also really good at basketball.
>>
>>67679962
Literally the only thing America exports to Yurop is Defenders and Goalkeepers.
>>
>>67679962
It's not instinctive, it's just that they're never taught how to defend properly.
>>
Fucking stupid. Honestly defenders from all countries are pretty shit the last decade
>>
>>67680417
Most American athletes are good at several sports. Soccer is the least popular so they often choose something else to focus on when they get older. Spic.
>>
Instinctively no, its just we have shit youth coaching so American players like Yedlin have to get by on talent alone, which isn't enough to play in the top European leagues.
>>
>>67679962
Yedlin was bad by MLS standards so this isn't the best measuring stick
>>
>>67679962
I mean yeah yeslins a pace baby but we knew that already
Thing is with American defenders they get mesmerized by useless fancy tricks
>>
In his early 20's Yedlin locked down a Premier League starting spot and is only gotting better. He'll be fine.
>>
>>67680901
>Who is... Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Jozy Altidore, Johannson, etc. Fabian, to an extent.
>>
I've been following the MLS this year and I can agree.
I don't think it's because they're Americans, I just think that most Americans can't understand how hard it actually is to play football on a high level and how it takes more than a decade of learning how to move around the field in the right way for each tactic.
I don't think the average fan (let alone an American who didn't watch the sport since he was a kid) fully understands how fucking hard it is to properly defend spaces, players, attacking or not the ball, put other players on offside, when suffering a counter to move the right way to gain the maximum time he can to allow team mates to move to defensive positions etc etc.
The average fan only want to watch Messi drible 6 players or Ronaldo tap ins and almost forgets the defenders because, well, their job is to stop goals. It's not just parking the bus even tho sometimes it looks that way.

Also, calcio is the patrician football.
>>
>>67685477
Good post
>>
>>67685596
No one asked for your worthless fucking opinion, homo
>>
>soccer

Who cares? The best defenseman in football, baseball, basketball, and even hickey are American
>>
>>67679962
Yes. Americans are retarded and even entry level players to sports can notice decision making mistakes pros make
>>
>>67685608
Bad post
>>
>>67680951
This is 100% correct. You can't blame an American player for not being defensively aware when they haven't had the same coaching as their peers in Europe. Its the same as importing good rugby players from New Zealand and saying that they don't have the tactical awareness to understand all the plays.
>>
>>67685786
*in handegg
>>
>>67679962
American youth football is nowhere near the quality of what you find in other countries, and has an unhealthy fixation on athleticism. Of course defenders never learn proper decision-making in such an environment.

It also doesn't help that MLS teams constantly undervalue the importance of their defensive setup. Has there ever been a DP that played in the back 4?
>>
File: lilboy.jpg (54 KB, 519x410) Image search: [Google]
lilboy.jpg
54 KB, 519x410
the best defense is a good offense, that's the American way.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.