[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've inherited £197,000, how do I go about starting a football
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2
File: scores.jpg (27 KB, 476x205) Image search: [Google]
scores.jpg
27 KB, 476x205
I've inherited £197,000, how do I go about starting a football club? Will /sp/ help me? Where do I start? Do I buy a field and build a stand?
>>
>>67612593
That would rinse your windfall, so you'd have a field and a shed, that's about it.
>>
Seriously, knowing some of the guys at a team in a Northern Counties East League Division One side, which at tier 10 is five promotions off the Conference, you'd be surprised at the expense.

Put it in a nice savings account and use the interest to treat yourself.
>>
>>67612593
buy us a pint
>>
>>67612766
Can you give more insights in running a small time football club? Where does the money come in?
>>
Here in the states, it's a couple million at least to start a club in the 3rd tier USL. Just a bit less for the NPSL. Tony Glavin of Scotland started up a professional development league side though with some investors though and recently affiliated with Celtic. He started out with a small amount. Find some other rich folks.
>>
>>67612809
Groundsman fees, council rates, general building maintainance, insurance, security to name a few I imagine
>>
Kickstarter it, if you get no interest you've lost nothing.
>>
buy your own flat and live never have to pay rent again

imagine how much shit you could afford if you didn't have to pay that fucking rent
>>
>>67612800
The one true answer
>>
>>67613014
Do you know where I could find investors to start a team in Anchorage? :^)
>>
>>67612593
from your rich uncle who molested you as a kid?

also I do not think 197 k is enough, rather use your money to get sport experiences like visiting el clasico, euro cup final etc
>>
>>67612809

The weird thing is, the club I'm talking about, Hull United, are actually a big fish in a small pond. They were in the Humber Premier League, tier 11, but very often teams that win the league choose to stay there, as they can't afford the travel expenses over a season in a bigger League. They're the first in a while to go for it, and had an alright ground before they got kicked out and had to play their last dozen games as a "wandering" team, at their opponents grounds. So the whole project of maybe getting them into a bigger non-league division like the Northern Premier League has stalled a bit.

Anyway, big incomes are sponsorship, even if it's just £1000 from the local car dealer. Attendance too, even £5 from 50 people is £250 and enough to cover expenses like equipment, travel and referee fees. A lot of "staff" just volunteer on the day, even the club secretary will have another job.

Even lower down, there are 24 tiers in total, players actually pay a small amount like you might have paid as a kid keep it afloat.
>>
Spee could support a club with donations if it could be arsed.
>>
In many places you'd struggle to buy a house for that amount.
>>
>>67612593

>Go back in time and buy Mahrez.
>Recruit some fulltime plumbers
>Laugh your way all the way up the leagues to the EPL title
>>
Sign Ibra for half a day
>>
>>67613849

>Me and gf been looking at moving up north to buy a house and settle down
>2 bed houses in Leeds and Hull are like £70k

Would have to secure a decent job before moving there though, don't want to move up there then get stuck no being able to get a job and not having enough money to move back down south.
>>
>>67613183
How hard is to share a pitch of a university or something? What kind of grounds would you be looking to rent?

Also, I always heard that volunteering is crucial for the tiny clubs, since someone gotta run the food stall and cut tickets, and what not.

Also, could fan ownership or what not ease the struggle?
>>
>>67614196
yeah, but then you have to live in Leeds or Hull
>>
>>67615296

I was born not far from Hull m8...
>>
>>67615438
my condolences
>>
>>67615438
Same, am from Beverly
>>
>>67614196
Finding a job up north is like finding a white Brit in London
>>
>>67614196
Yeah I am in Essex now but from Yorkshire originally. Houses here are ridiculous so I was looking at Leeds. Would struggle to find my kind of work there though so it'd have to be buy to let, which is not really an option. I'd have thought there'd be jobs going in Leeds though. Great place overall but the areas where they are going for 70k will not be pretty. At all.
>>
start investing in the stock

by the time you are a 65 yo english overlord oldman buy a small english team
>>
>>67612593
can i play?
>>
>>67615563
from Beverley but cannae even spell it? I lived there once. It was boring. Hull is probably better now since I was last there but I wouldn't move back
>>
>>67624025
His phone autocorrected it I'd bet, the US one doesn't have the e
>>
>>67612766
You've confused your numbers.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.