[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
baseball physics?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image (1).jpg (36 KB, 657x527) Image search: [Google]
image (1).jpg
36 KB, 657x527
hey so I was thinking about some pitching strategies and I wondered if would ever be a good idea to pitch super slow occasionally.

my reasoning is that if you pitch at 25 mph the ball would have 1/16th the energy of a ball at 100mph and so it would be impossible to hit for a homerun becuase the batters bat speed would be need to be incredibly fast, like 75 mph faster than regular if I remember correctly.

thoughts? it seems like this would work good in like the bottom of the ninth when a power hitter is up, they would definitely make contact but it would probably just be a harmless line out.
>>
>>67469230
>throwing fagspeed ball the distance from the mound to the plate
>requires fucking artillery trajectory
>easily placed for base hit
Do you even not retarded anon?
>>
>>67469230
25 mph is unreasonably slow. Probably impossible to hit a homer, but not to get a base hit. a 25 mph pitch is back yard catch tier and it would just be far to easy to get the bat on it. But there is a pitch call the "Eephus" that is a very slow pitch. Clayton Kerhsaw recently threw it. I think it was measured at around 45mph though the gun didn't pick it up because it was too slow.
>>
Wouldn't probably reach the plate unless you threw it with a high vertical angle
>>
>lob it up like a jackass
>they crush the ball and you look like a fool
>you throw a ball way off of the strike zone

And they wouldn't be confused, they could tell you were going to be throwing it just with the arm motion
>>
Impossible to hit a home run, would probably get sprayed all over the field for singles and doubles, however.
>>
>>67469230
It's hard to control the location of your pitch when throwing that slow. It would be hard to throw it for a strike
>>
anything less than 40 MPH would mean practically lobbing it

some pitchers throw an occasional eephus but if the batter recognizes it he is going to blast the shit out of it
>>
Here is some more physics for you.

At 25 mph, it will be traveling roughly 35 feet per second. It would take about 1.8 seconds for the ball to reach the mound. So it needs at least a hang time of 1.8 seconds for it to make it to home plate assuming 60ft 6 inches which doesn't include the distance added by the arch. With arc added I don't know if you could even have it reach the mound at 25 mph.
>>
>>67469371
So, basically what this bro said
>>
>>67469892
Like so
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWdO5mYF8T0
>>
File: 1462842507086.jpg (155 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
1462842507086.jpg
155 KB, 500x492
>>67469230
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.