[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Should pro boxing have a super heavyweight division? These
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3
File: shutup.jpg (168 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
shutup.jpg
168 KB, 1500x1500
Should pro boxing have a super heavyweight division?

These 6'7 260lb giants shouldn't be in the same weight class as a 5'10 199lb guy, especially when a difference of 3 lbs is a new weight class in lower divisions. There is super heavyweight in amateur/olympic boxing why not pro?
>>
The last thing boxing needs is more divisions
>>
Diminishing returns, 3 lbs makes a huge difference in lower divisions but it's nothing at the heavyweight division, being lighter can even be advantageous at heavyweight because you take longer to gas out.
>>
>>>/asp/
>>
>>67355571
There's a huge difference between 50 pounds and 5 pounds
>>
>>67355626
Yeah you gas out quicker being 50 pounds heavier and only hit slightly harder, thanks for playing.
>>
The 90's heavyweight division was underrated as fuck.
>>
>>67355674
Take two men, 6' tall. They have roughly the same size skeletons and organs. If neither man is fat, that 50lbs is primarily lean muscle mass.
A 100lb woman may have something on the order of 50 - 60lbs of muscle in her entire body. A man having 50 lbs of muscle on you is probably significantly stronger in some if not all ways, and is capable of hitting much harder than you while expending only marginally more energy
>>
>>67355607
Boxing is a sport; you fucking faggot.
>>
nobody cares about Cruiserweight anyway.
>>
>>67355209
You'd be making a division for literally 3 decent fighters. There are hundreds of manlets who box at a high level, with far fewer big lads on that one end of the bell curve.

The crazy different physical makeup of each fight is part of the appeal. I think of Tua at 238 and Lennox Lewis at ~245, fights like that which were highly entertaining. Watching that Tua crab with overhand punches and hooks was fucking cool, while lewis jabbed like a motherfucker.
>>
A 6'2 guy like Povetkin is about to take a 6'7 """"KO artist"""" to boxing school this month. It's not uncommon that smaller guys beat bigger ones. Bigger guys tend to be way less skilled. There's a reason you'll very very rarely see Heavyweights appearing in P4P rankings
>>
>>67355209
maybe just merge anything less than 215 into cruiser weight
>>
File: haye-midget-pa_1518795i.jpg (59 KB, 620x464) Image search: [Google]
haye-midget-pa_1518795i.jpg
59 KB, 620x464
>>67360636
Yeah, David Haye is basically a blown up cruiserweight, and he managed to school Valuev, whose about twice the size of him.
>>
>>67360739
actually a really good idea. it would bring life to the dead CW division and keep out the height babbys. you could even expand it to 220 lbs.
>>
>>67360603
This

The cruiserweight division is never talked about. Maybe if kovalev moved up and started knocking guys out they would talk about it more.
>>
>>67355434
this honestly.
since 200lbs is all thats needed to beat any heavyweight.
not always the biggest heavyweights that win anyways, the divisions are just thin since they have fewer talent
>>
>>67360905
dont forget guys like tyson and tua, short guys that really can level the towers.
short guys have the edge on the inside while opposite for tall dudes.
>>
>>67361089
anything cruiserweight and above is absolute shite anyway. Casual-bait and nothing less, don't make a mistake thinking otherwise. Those are guys who are too heavy to move quickly, to display good combos, good movement in general, they are clumsy, they are just size/reach babies who mainly rely either on a boring clinching fest or throwing 10-20 punches per round trying to land that one KO hit. Look at Fury vs Klitschko, heck even those acclaimed fights like Ali vs Foreman or Ali vs Frazier or anything involving Holyfield or Lennox aren't actually good displays of boxing skills, they don't even compare to those RJJ-Toney, Pacman-JMM, Diaz-JMM, etc matches.

Random 50th vs 51st placeholder in LHW and below match compared to the same for Cruiserweight or Heavyweight is much better in terms of skill and entertainment. Just look at what boxing skills the top 5 in Heavyweight or Cruiser display compared to Kovalev, Ward, Stevenson, Pascal, Hopkins, Fonfara, Gonzalev, Shabranskyy, etc.
>>
Cruiserweight is NOT a dead division, in fact it's one of the best.Very competitive division and they're all willing to fight each other.There are just so few American cruisers, they're almost all Eastern Europeans and Africans, not the most marketable division to America.Watch one of the stacked Russian cards, trust me it's worth getting into.
>>
>>67361325
Nigga i hope u you trolling. I never knew the cruiserweight division existed till this year and i been following boxing since last year.
>>
>>67355806
Seriously.

Bowe could have been GOAT, except fried chicken & weed.

Lennox was all time.

Holyfield was all time.

Rough & ready Tyson. Foreman!!! McCall, Moore, Morrison & the crew. The Polish Ambassador Golota.

Donovan "Razor" Ruddock being THe greatest Canadian Heavyweight the world has ever seen.

QQUUAALLIITTYY
>>
>>67361692
well that's because you're retarded
>>
>>67356530
ok but what about when two men have completely different sized skeletons/build genius
>>
>>67365145
>>67365145
Why are so many sports just shit now?

boxing, basketball, even football

Like they just arent entertaining like they used to be. they feel too corporate and hollow
>>
>>67365611
I do know Boxing lost American talent to others.

Basketball: Rules

Handegg: It's too brutal
>>
>>67365680
FUCK DOES THAT BRUTAL GET ME HARD ON SUNDAYS

EUROPE, GET ON THIS SO IT DOESN'T GO DODO.
>>
>>67365700
Football will be gone in our lifetimes
>>
>>67365713
Kill me before that happens desu.
>>
>>67361186
>short guys have the advantage on the inside
I want this meme to die.
t. Manlet
>>
>>67365752
>not banging to the body
>>
>>67365752
My little brother is a manlet and he would fold 99% of untrained dudes bigger than him with hooks to the liver
>>
>>67365611

Looks like someone grew up and stopped being a child.
>>
>>67365886
Nah hes right about basketball at least.
Its straight up shit now. No other sport encapsulates 'refball' as much as basketball does these days.
Might as well be fucking scripted like mandrama
>>
>>67365921

Okay sure, but a lot of sports are "less entertaining" when you grow up and realize it's no longer a game for fun and just a job for these athletes. At least in football. The Champions League used to be the greatest thing ever and the world cup was magical, not it's Spainwinslol and Germanywinslol
>>
>>67365921
nah, he just grew up

i was still under football euphoria all the way up to 2012
nowadays not even finals excite me
all the new young players annoy me to death

i bet the kids of today feel just like I used to only a couple of years ago when players I grew up with still played
>>
>>67360636

Povetkin is going to get knocked out. Thing is there are no 'heavyweights' that can touch Povetkin but he is just so mismatched against the Superheavyweights. AJ, Klitschko, Fury and Wilder will beat him. Cruiserweight should be repacked as heavyweight and Superheavyweight should have no limit
>>
>>67355209
It's not really that so much as they should simply set a heavyweight limit, probably somewhere around ~245 (~17.5 stone). It'd force the heaviest fighters to cut a little weight and still gives plenty of leeway for fighters over 200 pounds to bulk up a bit if they need to before the fight. If a fighter is under 200 pounds, they're technically a cruiserweight any way and are taking their lives into their own hands when they face someone in the higher division.
>>
>>67370224
>>67355434

Also this.
>>
The weight classes should be:

226+ - Super Heavyweight
225 - Heavyweight
195 - Cruiserweight
175 - Light Heavyweight
160 - Middleweight
145 - Welterweight
135 - Lightweight
125 - Featherweight
120 - Bantamweight
115 - Flyweight

And boxers shouldn't be able to rehydrate to a weight higher than the upper limit of the above class (so, for example, a welterweight can't weigh more than 159.9 lbs on fight night.)
>>
>>67370469
You left out Caneloweight.
>>
>>67360905
>school

He fought like a pussy and barely scraped a points win when it was obvious that he could have taken Valuev out at any time if only he took a risk. Not to mention that Valuev was one of the worst HW "champions" in history.

Haye is the most overrated cunt ever. Joshua, Fury and Wilder would smash him up, but I hope they don't give him the payday unless he beats a solid contender like Luis Ortiz or Joseph Parker first (which will obviously never happen).
>>
>>67370815
>Haye is the most overrated cunt ever. Joshua, Fury and Wilder would smash him up

>AJ beating Haye up

Don't be stupid, cuz. AJ still needs to face someone who's gonna rock his jaw a bit so he can learn from that. Haye would knock A?J out at his current stage.
>>
>>67370469

That's perfect, make it happen WBA
>>
File: marciano.jpg (81 KB, 850x400) Image search: [Google]
marciano.jpg
81 KB, 850x400
>>67370469
pic related weighed 185 pounds when he turned pro.
>>
>>67371857

In all fairness AJ will beat Haye. He won't walk through him but he will win.
>>
No. A 220 lb Heavyweight can make CW. They don't because it's more work for less money. Heavyweight pays much better than Cruiserweight which is why you see the good Cruisers cross over.
>>
>>67370469
>this solving anything

Deontay Wilder could literally drain 3 lbs and you'd still have heavyweight being dominated by a 6'7" fighter.

Wlad could make 225 dehydrating..
>>
>>67374116

Wlad fights at 240+ lean, He couldn't make 225. I doubt Wilder could either. That said 225 is 100kg or so while heavyweight at amateur level is 90kg which is 200lbsih and super heavy is 91+ with no limit. I think if that was the same at pro level things would be more entertaining.
>>
>>67374635
Are you joking? Wilder weighed in 228.5 in his fight for Szpilka.

Draining 20 lbs at Wlads size isn't that much considering Welters have been known to do just that.

Amateurs really has no bearing on pro. In the Ams you have to weigh in the limit a couple hours before the fight and you have multiple fights in a day and week. They can't rehydrate.
>>
>>67365145
Bruno and Hyde as well
>>
What is this? Tyson is 5'10 and decimating other taller heavyweights.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.