[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the greatest referee fuckups of all time? All sport
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11
What are the greatest referee fuckups of all time? All sports allowed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/15454490/nba-lists-five-incorrect-non-calls-final-seconds-oklahoma-city-thunder-san-antonio-spurs-game-2

>13 seconds
>five missed calls

That's got to be a record.
>>
Obviously, the near-perfect game in MLB would deserve a mention.
>>
What pissed me off about this officiating was they did nothing.

I am a 210 born and raised spurs fan, but if they gave the tech to manu and the game ended there - fine I can shitpost about refball but at the end of the day that was what really happened.

But to go on and not make a single call when the game was going to be literally decided on that play... I've lost sleep thinking about how these refs haven't gotten fired
>>
>>67326744
Just be sure, I am talking about the Galarraga game,
>>
>>67326744
that was the straw that broke the "no replay should be in baseball"'s back.
>>
>>67326744
>>
>>67326851
>Just be sure, I am talking about the Galarraga game,

>Joyce later issued a direct apology to Galarraga, saying that the call was incorrect.[11][12][13] Galarraga accepted the mistake gracefully, saying later, "Nobody's perfect."[14] Observers pointed to the handling of the situation as an example of good sportsmanship on both sides.[14] He was presented with a "Medal of Reasonableness" for his reasoned response to Joyce's call at the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.[15] (hosted by Jon Stewart)

lel
>>
>>67326845

Despite all the blown calls, Sperms still got a good look at the basket.
>>
Maradona's "hand of god"
>>
>>67326947
this

if patty mills hits that 3 all this uproar about calls goes under the radar
>>
>>67326981

Also, why the fuck did Mills attempt that shitty 3? He should have pump faked and gotten an easy two.
>>
>>67326947
I really agree - the loss is definitely the fault of patty (putting up a three under a 7ft child rapist) or manu (passing when he could have scored)

officiating has always triggered me
>>
>>67326971
>Maradona later said, "I was waiting for my teammates to embrace me, and no one came... I told them, 'Come hug me, or the referee isn't going to allow it.'"
kek even soccer's GOAT is a cheating little bitch
>>
>>67327006
agreed

the spurs lost this game, thunder didnt win it, and they lost it by having a shitty as fuck offence, it was like watching the grizzlies with the ball going into the post every single fucking time
>>
>>67327051
what a legend
>>
File: 1445286716917.jpg (31 KB, 319x237) Image search: [Google]
1445286716917.jpg
31 KB, 319x237
>Mike bibby's face got in the way
>>
>>67326851
If I were Gallaraga, I'd be actually glad this happened. He got more recognition, and he can always brag he threw a 28 out perfect game, and nobody will argue that. He also got a Medal for his reasonableness, which is cool I guess lol.
>>
>>67327555

> i'd be glad i didn't throw a perfect game

sure you would, a fucking leaf
>>
>>67326682
check the Munich Olympics basketball final

pretty much every Olympics boxing matchs, but it's more corruption rather than fuckups

1995 rugby world cup semi-final, but then again it's also massive and blatant corruption for general geopolitical reason rather than fuckups
>>
>>67326981
if you go this way, you can as well say "if Green didn't fuck up twice with a terrible choice of pass (he had Ginobili open with a better position) and his pass being technically terrible (that prevented a good receive from Mills)"...
>>
>>67327766
But he still did you idiot. Everybody knows that. That he got 28 outs with his perfect game makes it even better
>>
>>67328278

ah, good point. that must be why baseball doesn't recognize his as a perfect game!

i should have known better than to question your unending canadian wisdom
>>
File: 1426951335829.jpg (12 KB, 300x342) Image search: [Google]
1426951335829.jpg
12 KB, 300x342
>>67327555
>mfw a canadian would be happy about getting cucked out of something that was rightfully his
>>
We may have memed too close to the sun.......
>>
>>67328405
They may not recognize it due to technical reasons, but the MLB and everybody else (including Joyce) knows it was perfect. It was the most perfect game in history, actually.

>28 outs
>>
>>67328428
You're not a cůck if everybody tearfully apologizes and sucks your dick afterwards.
>>
>>67328580
No Canada, you will always be a cuck
>>
>>67328580

yes, yes you absolutely are.
>>
>>67328616
Okay, now apologize and suck my creamy Canadian cock
>>
>>67326845
>only need 1
>airball a 3
>cant make a layup

they fucked themselves in typical spurs fashion.
>>
File: Tom-Selleck.jpg (399 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
Tom-Selleck.jpg
399 KB, 1600x1200
>>67327014
>I really agree - the loss is definitely the fault of patty (putting up a three under a 7ft child rapist) or manu (passing when he could have scored)
adams' mustache is the manliest shit of all time
>child rapist

adams' mustache is fucking GODLY get the FUCK OUT

>he doesn't know who Tom Selleck is, the guy who inspired Adams' 'stache

http://www.gq.com/story/okc-steven-adams-nba-hair-interview
>>
>>67328073
that illustratrates Pop's point on how they lost the game

he literally said it wasnt the officiating, it was offensive execution, the offence looked fucking shit all night
>>
File: pray for korea.jpg (41 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
pray for korea.jpg
41 KB, 620x349
German bitch and her jew judge fucking with the clock to make sure South Korea didn't make the gold medal match
>>
>>67329877
>those 10 consecutive fuckups on fucking layups in the first 5 minutes
>>
File: 1442885780182.jpg (40 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
1442885780182.jpg
40 KB, 320x320
>>67329833
>Le ebic beards xDDDD

fuck off. Adams is the ugliest motherfucker on the court since cassell
>>
Hourly reminder that the Spurs are the Patriots of the NBA

GOAT team constantly screwed over by the officials on orders from asshurt commissioner
>>
Griffin should play in the NFL, he's an elite run blocker
>>
>>67330656
http://official.nba.com/wp-content/uploads/sites/4/2016/05/L2M-OKC-SAS-5-2-16.pdf

NBA admitted they missed three calls against the Spurs in the last two minutes before that inbound sequence, and that they missed Manu stepping on the line which should have made everything else after that moot.
>>
No-call for offensive holding on the helmet catch
>>
>>67328831
No thanks, I'm not canadian
>>
File: 0003.gif (438 KB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
0003.gif
438 KB, 200x200
>>67331000
>>
>>67331010
Canadians are the most desirable men in the world. I've turned many Americans gay just by presenting my BCC.

Give it a try, you might like it ;^)
>>
>listening to the ump's interview after the game
>can hear he's holding back tears as he admits he didn't get the call correct
>>
I'm a lions fan and I'm still bitter about the seahawks bat out of bounds and the Packers blatant Hail Mary holding not being called. Which makes you wonder why only penalties can be overturned by replay and not called on a replay. Those two penalties get called and the Lions make the playoffs while the Packers miss them for once.
>>
File: 01.png (3 KB, 213x250) Image search: [Google]
01.png
3 KB, 213x250
>>67332571

> I'm a lions fan and I'm still bitter

i'm shocked
>>
Fun Fact, the greatest ref fuckups of all time happened in the first half of the 20th century, by far.

If you're gonna use the "all time" qualifier, nothing after 1950 is gonna be even close.

A century or so ago, pro baseball and football games were judged by one or two umps or refs. Even the World Series was usually umpired by maybe two or three men tops. You had a guy behind the plate and a guy on either baseline by 1st and 3rd base and that was it.

That was the way things were in MLB until well into the 1920s. The NFL had a ref on each sideline until the late '30s and early '40s.

nothing today comes remotely close to the daily fuckups that happened back then..
>>
Anyone have a gif of that Greenbay Seattle replacement refs game?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTGYcCLVMuY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iL_W9MucEk

You can't name bigger fuck ups than these 2.
>>
>Ctrl+F
>no 2001 AFC Divisional Game
>>
>>67332571
>wanting people to call holding on a hail mary

Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?
>>
>>67330641
>beards...
>located above the upper lip and below the nose...

Here's a (you) for your stupidity.
>>
what would calling that foul have changed? Spurs would have had the ball on an out of bounds play sure, but they could have also...you know..... Called a time out
>>
>>67326887
I'm looking forward to something similar happening in soccer
>>
>>67326682
You should have watch the in bounds plays during the heat game.......
>>
>>67334072

honestly, you lads seem progressive as fuck when it comes to conduct and policy, i can't imagine why you don't have a dedicated video official. you already have the headsets on every ref, it couldn't be that hard to implement
>>
>>67326682
>they said the West was Best
whew lad
>>
>>67334229
It took ages to get goal line technology
It took a major blunder that everyone was watching to change it
So really until something major is affected by lack of replays then we'll have no reason to change.

For what it's worth I don't think soccer is progressive at all compared to American sports
>>
>>67332571
>obscure rule nobody knows about (including the back judge)
>would have given the ball back to detroit to try and get into the end zone
>was right under 2 minutes so even if you did score the seahawks would have had the final chance to march and win the game

Its no sure chance you would have won that game anyways, especially with how the lions love to collapse like in your next complaint

>crying about holding on a hail mary during the biggest collapse of any team in the last several seasons.

You are delusional that you got screwed in the first place, and second off thinking that you would have made the playoffs and the packers wouldnt have.
Its just crazy talk
>>
>>67326682
>watching memeball
>>
>>67334502
Come on lad he's a lions fan. Let him have it
>>
>>67334438

nah, i wish we had a discipline system half as sensible as cards. you're right that the game is largely rooted in tradition, baseball had the same symptom. that's why it took galarraga's nearly perfect game to implement an NFL-style replay system--they still don't have it worked out correctly yet
>>
>>67333292
Fuck off, cuck
>>
NO
ERA
PENAL
>>
>>67326682
You should have watched the Blazer game tonight anon. Literally last few minutes of the 4rd quarter and refs lose whistles when it comes to making calls against GS.

NBA where Refs decide who wins the game.
>>
>>67336596
came here to post this
>>
>>67336596
GS was getting horrible calls against them all game.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=caYdeTLSW-o
>>
>>67331282
DELETE THIS
>>
>>67336596

just hopped on /sp/ and it didnt take me long to find somebody whining about the refs because the bad guys won the game
>>
>>67336596
This makes absolutely no sense. If the NBA wanted the Warriors to win the game they wouldn't have had all those close calls go against them back when they were down by 17. Remember that clear as day ball of Lillard that they ruled out off of GS? Yeah, this is just poor officiating in general.
>>
https://youtu.be/K-teMkx2vgA

This was pretty bad
>>
>>67336750
That's the fucking problem. Refs are shit and are swayed by players all the fucking time. I remember players like Kobe bitching at refs until they stopped calling fouls against them. At some point you have to realize that Stars that are profitable will always get calls their way in the NBA. They have replay, but they don't fucking use it.
>>
>>67326938
>Nobody's perfect
After Joyce costs him a perfect game
>>
>>67333367
Brady fumbled, anyone with any sense of rationality knows it was because the League wanted to fuck over the Raiders.

Never 4get that when the replacement refs were used, the Raiders were the least penalized team in the league. The moment the normal refs came back, they shot up to the 2nd most.
>>
>>67336769
Give the Browns fans credits, they got fucked and this was one time they collectively went 'fuck you' to the refs and chased them out of the stadium.

And the best part was the GM and Owner refused to condemn the fan's behavior originally.
>>
>>67330748

Of course the NBA came out with all that shit to cover their own ass. Fuckin pleb.
>>
>>67330641
Just off the top of my head, Draymond Green and Julius Randle make Adams look like an Adonis. Zaza still exists, too
>>
>>67326682
Not really a fuck up, but the 2002 WCF is the single worst case of refs winning a game for a team that I've seen in my lifetime. That was just vile.
>>
>>67326682
If you go back and watch the replay, you can clearly see that Manu Ginobili's foot was on the boundary line, so clearly Ginobili committed a delay of game violation, which should have been called. The play should have been stopped right there, and Dion Waiters should've been given a new chance to inbound the ball.
>>
>>67336905
I agree. Game 6 of the 2002 WCF between the Kings and Lakers was a major case of refballing. The Kings should've won that game and the series.
>>
>>67326899
Yeah, no, the 1st base umpire (Jim Joyce) totally screwed up here. Jason Donald of the Cleveland Indians is clearly out. Armando Galarraga of the Detroit Tigers clearly has the ball in his glove and is clearly stepping on the bag. The ump cost Galarraga a perfect game.
>>
>>67327160
That's clearly a foul on Kobe Bryant, not Mike Bibby. Common sense says the Sacramento Kings got screwed over big time.
>>
>NFL/NBA, all use instant replay to decide calls
>still don't use them

Also

Japan World Cup, Barca vs Chelsea obviously have all been "fuckups"
>>
>>67336769
>and the officials are PUMMELED as they run into the locker room!
hahaha based Browns fans, I'm so proud
>>
>>67336926
Manu's foot was on the line. In a perfect world, it should have been called and Dion should have gotten another go.

However, his foot was BARELY on the line, making it really unlikely for the ref to spot it.

It's not the sort of thing refs would generally be too strict about in the waning seconds of a big game, it's too trivial. Shoving a man in the chest is definitely not trivial and needs to be called at all times.

The ref was standing too close to really see Manu's foot, while Dion's arms were in plain view.

The only call that really should have been made was the shove on Manu, followed by Kawhi's jersey tug (but it's a big gap). Spurs managed to lose the game anyway despite having a pretty good final shot so it doesn't matter, but things could have turned out differently if it was spurs ball out of an inbounds instead of off a steal

Biggest sin was Danny Green not calling a time out though, Spurs with 10 seconds left off an inbounds down one against a shitty defensive team? You know that's money
>>
1985 World Series
>>
File: fakemask.webm (968 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
fakemask.webm
968 KB, 480x480
>>
>>67339555
Trips confirm, a brush isn't a 'grab', you can post the still of the brush all you want, that was trash refball. Same team that got fucked in the playoffs last season and the Seattle game, both admitted reffing failures by the NFL.

Pat's, Seahawks and Packer fans would be planning to murder Goodell if they had to endure what Lions fans have in the last 2 years.
>>
https://youtu.be/QXvFDg5lQS0
>Rubentus
>>
>>67326938
>Medal of Reasonableness
>this is an Amerifat achievement
K E K
>>
>>67339576
>implying we aren't doing that either way.

Whoever bags him should be given a full presidential pardon for saving football.
>>
Im still mad over the Lakers-Kings shit.
>>
>>67331282
LOL even the runner takes his hand to his head like saying "WTF are you doing senile man...."

Question for Murricans more familiar with boreball, apehoops and handegg... why are referees so fucking old in comparisson to say soccer referees? they are old hags with bad vision and slow reflexes.
>>
>>67339747
>not chimping out and not having anger management troubles get you a medal
>>
>>67326682
https://youtu.be/cJYBV9BXQNY
>>
>>67342147
More of a corrupt system than a fuckup. Similar to the USA-USSR basketball game.
>>
No one said Chelsea-Barca UCL semi final. Disgusting refballing by Ovredo. It was fucking disgrace.
>>
>>67336596
But that's literally every single GS game
>>
>>67336769
Cleveland fans literally did nothing wrong though, that was beyond refball and pure game fixing
>>
>>67342814
To be clear I'm talking about the moron announcer saying the fans have to "control themselves"
>>
>>67326682
bogut lifting players off the ground while moving, green literally tackling players
>>
>>67342877
Reminder that this is the team that """""won""""" the best """""""record""""" and """"""""""""""won"""""""""""""" a """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""championship""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
>>
>>67339747
>He was presented with a "Medal of Reasonableness" for his reasoned response to Joyce's call at the Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear.[15] (hosted by Jon Stewart)
>an award given to by a comedian during a comedic yet serious rally about politics
>aussfailia
>>
>>67326845
top keke
>>
>>67336769
The wild thing is that "incomplete pass" is the correct call here, but the Browns still got fucked out of a game.
Thread replies: 105
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.