[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why don't NA sports embrace relegation?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7
Started watching Premier League this season. Still can't decide which club to root for.

Why don't North American sports embrace the relegation system?

Maybe it would solve the problem with bottom feeder teams purposely tanking just to get top picks in the draft next season.
>>
>>67236969
Jewish owners want to still make big league money with their shit teams.
>>
Because that would be further dividing the top sports revenue. Owners would never go for it.
>>
will donald trump introduce the relegation system in american sports?
>>
>>67236969

Because it gives more power and money to niggers.
>>
>>67237119
No.

>>67236969
Insufficent teams. Creating more teams will dilute the fuck out of the game leading to shit product on the field. That and it means you get shit teams in shit cities replacing shit teams in GOOD cities.

Baseball has the numbers but they've built the entire farm system which is a giant sprawling network of 100+ Teams.
>>
>>67236969

Ted, plz.
>>
>>67237119
No. He's not even going to do half of what he promises, he's an American politician.
>>
>>67237645
Are you implying he won't fix the economy and immigration like he promises?
>>
>>67236969
>problem with bottom feeder teams purposely tanking just to get top picks in the draft next season.
It has yet to be proven as an actual problem
>>
>>67237674
You're a quick one.
>>
>>67236969
It isn't even a problem. The 76ers failed. They fixed it by having the lotto instead of just having the worst team get the #1 pick. Every other sport is too much of a crapshoot to tank for a prospect.
>>
Requires a lot of lower leagues that no one wants to watch.
>>
>>67237749
Hi Hillary.
>>
>>67236969
because na sports leagues are a franchise systemes
the owners pay for their starting spots
theoreticaly some amateur "soccer" club can win european silver ware
>>
>>67236969
West Ham seem like a good team to get behind at the moment.
>>
>>67236969

because owners dont want to risk losing money
>>
>>67237645
>he's an American politician

no, he's not

that's the whole point of his campaign and the reason you americans love him so much
>>
>>67236969
>A
>>
>>67238052
No. I love him because he wants to build a wall, deport mexicans, and block muslims from entry.
>>
>>67238243
OK you're retarded but the point is hes not a politician.
>>
>>67236969
You say relegation, we say not making the playoffs.

Only in the NFL are games during the regular season rare enough to be of great importance. All the other sports are engaging in frequent enough games that it's more of a statistical sampling of play than a struggle for supremacy on the field.

Also the prospect of a team being demoted from professional status is too horrifying for the owners to tolerate here. The Browns may never make the post season, but they're still a pro team goddammit. One question, suppose there were relegation. How would a team that can no longer draft or attract top talent get back into the top tier? Relegation could turn into a slow death sentence.
>>
If anything, Europe needs to ditch relegation and introduce a system like Major League Baseball.

Minor league teams are affiliated with a major league team. The minor league team is used by the major league team for development and roster support, who control the rosters and personnel of all affiliated minor league teams.
>>
So the Phillies should be playing in the minors while the Columbus Clippers play at the MLB level?
>>
In the US, players get relegated instead of teams
>>
>>67238330
I'm not sure that minor league teams would even be created if things weren't in place since time immemorial. The NFL benefits greatly from NCAA football providing them a feeding program free of cost. I suspect that MLB took control of minor league baseball to prevent another repeat of the American League challenging the National League's monopoly back in 1901.
>>
>>67238367
It's so much easier to just move the players.
>>
>>67238052
I don't love him because he is some business man who is full of himself.

I love him because he will tell the illegals to go home.
>>
>>67238243
>falling for buzzwords
WEW
>>
>>67238093
>FUCKING
>>
Only baseball has the numbers and organization needed to support pro/rel.
>>
File: 0.jpg (8 KB, 480x358) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
8 KB, 480x358
>>67238330
Except you're wrong. Part of the Cinderella story that is Leicester City is the fact that a few years ago Leicester were two leagues below the Premiership.
>>
>>67238243
How are you going to deport Mexicans if there's a wall there? Make them climb back over?
>>
>>67236969
Fans are not gonna drop their allegiance to their current teams to be a fan of the local team

Those teams aren't gonna get the fan revenue to survive.

As awesome as the concept of relegation and promotion is, it will never succeed in North America
>>
Because it's not American. If European countries had the same geography and economic history as America, there wouldn't be promotion and relegation there either
>>
>>67238699
Not true
College football is popular as fuck despite being a second-class league
>>67238716
History is correct
However, wrong history
It's the fact pro/rel wasn't implemented at the beginning an it's too late now
>>
OUR COUNTRY IS TOO DAMN BIG

WHY DON'T YOU FUCKS UNDERSTAND THAT

It is cute when nigeltooth town fc gets to drive 30 mins to kebab united, but imagine some 4th tier team in NY having to go to a 4th tier team in California.
>>
>>67238828
Yeah because those schools and teams have been there forever. Look at the UFL. They tried to create a league of castoffs and no one fucking cared. League is gone after a few years
>>
>>67238898
My second point
It's too late now
We couldn't create 32 NFL2 teams tomorrow and be naive enough to believe it would work
>>
>>67238944
Which I was getting at when I said that fanbases aren't just go drop their life long allegiances to be a fan of an NFL division 2 team
>>
>>67238692
There's a door in it that is blocked by a really, really fat hockey goalie.
>>
File: brasileirão serie d 2015.png (114 KB, 640x671) Image search: [Google]
brasileirão serie d 2015.png
114 KB, 640x671
>>67238856
>>67238716
>>
>>67238856
>>67239069

BTFO even Hues can do it
>>
>>67239069
And Brazil didn't have the first pro soccer leagues. Europe did. America determined the standard structure for professional baseball, basketball and American football
>>
>>67238828
>College football is popular as fuck despite being a second-class league

That's not a fair characterization of College football. While it isn't NFL, Div 1-A college football is pretty much where the future stars of the NFL make their debut and is a quality league.
>>
>>67239188
This is true. College basketball is mostly shit however.
>>
>>67239188
No one gives a fuck about that
If you stuck "U-23 league" in it no one would give a fuck about it
>>
>>67239069
Brazil is fucking tiny though
>>
>>67239224
Brazil is larger than USA minus Alaska (where AFAIK sports teams don't exist).
>>
>>67239289
So the fuck what? Brazil's population doesn't stray far from the coast for the most part. Manaus and Brasilia are the exceptions.
>>
Speaking of leagues that are too big, the KHL is adding teams in like China. How is Minsk or the team in Zagreb going to handle that, literally insane
>>
File: Hispanicrace.jpg (89 KB, 970x909) Image search: [Google]
Hispanicrace.jpg
89 KB, 970x909
Why don't white americans breed?
>>
>>67239737
>foreign
>furpuck
Who the fuck cares?
>>
>>67236969

Because small markets with teams would never be okay with it. A team like the Yankees or Bulls might never need to worry about relegation but a team in Oklahoma or Kansas City? All it takes is one bad year and you might not ever have a first division team ever again.

In reality, there should be relegation and no salary cap. That's in the best interest of players, and in the interest of proportional fairness.
>>
File: 426.png (33 KB, 469x724) Image search: [Google]
426.png
33 KB, 469x724
>>67239760
MAKE AMERICA WHITE AGAIN
>>
>>67239844
Well st.louis did get it's team taken by Los angeles
>>
>>67239844
Who the fuck cares about fairness?
>>
>>67239760
Most whites don't breed anymore. The more diverse a country gets, the less people see a reason to invest in their future.
>>
>>67239917
So they decide to stop breeding and just accept it and die?
>>
Euro countries are so small you can have 20 local clubs all within 50 miles of each other.

Pro reg would lead to Anchorage FC facing off against Key West united and would suck ass for TV rights
>>
>>67239760
>>67239917
>>67239960
all the white women I see tweet about how they are on long term birth control shots while mexicans and muzzies all have 6 kids each
>>
>>67236969
>Why don't North American sports embrace the relegation system?

There are not enough teams or players for one. In Europe soccer is the only sport most people care about. When soccer is the only sport people focus their attention on, obviously you have more people playing it which creates a bigger pool of viable players and more available for more teams.

In North America football, baseball and basketball all have about equal footing and hockey is also prominent. Athletes disperse into other sports

Both the North American system of a closed top flight league where the best players are drafted by teams out of universities and elsewhere and the Euro promotion and relegation system both developed organically and in response to the specific environment. Both are fine and the notion of forcing one system on the other is silly.

For 95% of teams, promotion and relegation means little at any rate. Teams generally stay within their current tier almost continuously.

Teams newly promoted to the Premier League are generally relegated again within 1 or 2 seasons.
>>
>>67238983
>american goalies
>>
>>67239760
Affluence, pursuit of higher education, The western (particularly) American ethos of pursuing self interest and self determination, Lack of religious belief (Hispanics are generally Catholic, which culturally supports many children and the family... etc.
>>
>>67240221

You can still structure each league to be separated by division, especially the smaller leagues. For example:

League 1: 30 teams. Top league. Includes teams from all over the country. 3 teams relegated a year.
League 2: 40 teams. Separated into two general geographic divisions. Whoever wins each 20 team league gets promoted. The two second places have a play-in game to decide the last team to be promoted.

You would just need to draw up new divisions each year. Kind of a hassle for teams close to the border (teams in the Midwest might be East one year, West the next), but not a huge deal in actuality.
>>
File: u sure.jpg (172 KB, 1080x720) Image search: [Google]
u sure.jpg
172 KB, 1080x720
>>67238856

>takes a look at the map of the geographical locations of the Russian First Division teams

>Thinks 'Murrica is too big to have promotion and relegation.
>>
>>67239760
>>67239862

You guys know that most Hispanics are about as dark as your typical Italian-American, right? In about 20 years we're just going to start calling Hispanics "white", keeping whites as the majority indefinitely. It happened with the Italians, the Irish, the Germans, the Swedes, and it's going to happen with the Hispanics.
>>
>>67241309
The government already calls them white, but that isn't fooling anyone. And Italians very greatly from northern to southern so that is a bad analogy.
>>
>>67237737
Toronto and Buffalo last season in the NHL, as well as Edmonton just being a sack of shit
>>
>>67241451
My family is mexican and theres people in it that go from about as dark as a black person to ones that are pale, or ginger, or ones with colored eyes
>>
>>67239069

You can't compare, since the financial risk for team owners in North America is way higher.

"I just bought this franchise for a billion dollars. Uh oh. We've been relegated."

And the next season, franchise value drops to 500 million and then to 200 million if the franchise fails to promote.

The New York Yankees are probably worth more than the entire Hue Soccer League combined.
>>
>>67242159
That happens with Mestizos. Mexicans are heavily mixed with Spaniards.
>>
>>67238856

This.

And what Yuropoors and 3rd worlders also fail to realize is that soccer's global talent pool is infinitely larger than every sport in existence.

There's enough players where you can conceivably have a professional league(s) with multiple "tiers."

Furthermore, soccer is the only sport they watch, so the population will always watch, no matter the level of competition. No one is going to want to watch the Lakers play the Butte, Montana Bigfoots in the 2nd tier league.

I know I'll get greentexted on that point, but it's easily provable. I think our domestic pro Lacrosse (a totally irrelevant sport) league draws more people that the UK's top Rugby League, and Rugby is supposed to be one of the UK's top 3 sports.

(note: I'm discounting motorsport).

Also worth mentioning is that these underdog franchises wouldn't be able to keep talent. If a 2nd tier team became good enough to get promoted or near-promoted, they would have their talent raided the very next season.

>But that's what contracts are for.

No young player with potential would lock himself into a mulityear contract with the Butte Montana Bigfoots.
>>
>>67240318
>Both the North American system of a closed top flight league where the best players are drafted by teams out of universities and elsewhere and the Euro promotion and relegation system both developed organically and in response to the specific environment. Both are fine and the notion of forcing one system on the other is silly.

Exactly.
>>
>>67241050

As I said to Hue who tried to make that point, you can't compare. The financial risk for a Russian club owner is comparably nothing to that of American franchise owner.

Without looking, I would guess the Minnesota TImberwolves are worth more than all the teams in the Russian soccer league combined.
>>
>>67236969
>relegation system
>System based of a wins in what amounts to a regular season.
Fuck that, playoffs where teams are eliminated until one is left, or nothing.
>>
First, we use artificial scarcity so each team has a higher number of total fans.
Second, we socialize the way the sports are operated via gallery caps, and draft spots based on how you did the previous season. This creates potential for teams to make quick turn around.
>>
>>67242586
You can do relegation playoffs though

>bottom 4 teams play in relegation playoff
>two losing teams get relegated
>two winning teams play against each other
>winner stays up and loser gets relegated
>>
>>67238243
This is it really. The whole idea behind trumps success. The reason he has hundreds of thousands of supporters online let alone irl

You people sicken me
>>
>>67244484
Fuck off Labour
>>
>>67238664
Unfortunately, Leicester is the extreme exception not the rule.
>>
I would absolutely love if they introduced relegation systems but one problem is the draft. How are you going to determine draft picks between divisions?
Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.