[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
EUROPEAN SUPER-LEAGUE
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 12
File: europe-countries-map-blank.png (553 KB, 2500x1957) Image search: [Google]
europe-countries-map-blank.png
553 KB, 2500x1957
Alright fuckers, I just got done reading Money and Soccer, the follow-up to Soccernomics, and the author is a big proponent of a more permanent European Super-League in Europe.

I decided to allot myself 48 teams and give it a go.

NOTES:
-basically I figured that I'd try to give widespread representation to Europe. This means including a Baltic team at the expense of a 5th Bundesliga team, and giving Ireland a team over something like Feyenoord.
-I factored rivalries in where I could. This explains Greece, Ukraine, Russia and some others
KNOWN ERRORS/ISSUES:
-Yes I know I accidentally put Zagreb in Bosnia
-Yes I know I accidentally put Malmo in the center of Sweden
-Scotland doesn't deserve two teams. It's also impossible to pick simply Celtic or Ranger, you'll piss too many people off.

----

Rate, hate, discriminate, just fuck my shit up. I challenge you faggots to make a better league
>>
File: Capture.png (41 KB, 639x434) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
41 KB, 639x434
Divisions/Conferences:
>>
>no Celtic
>no Rangers
>Shamrock Rovers
kek

>club Brugges over Anderlecht
yeah, Anderlecht is by far the biggest club in Belgium plus it's in Brussels
>>
nobody cars yank. Your post is shit
>>
>>67189031
Nigga I explained Celtic/Rangers in the post text
>>
>>67189032

don't you have a paddy to harvest Linh?
>>
>>67189123
Don't you have another war against a small country to lose Chad
>>
>Baltic team instead of HJK Helsinki
>>
>>67188924
Replace Liverpool with Celtics, and Lazio with Rangers. Solved.
>>
>>67188924
Why would you want this

The CL owns, the reward for doing well in the owns, and even the EL is an excuse to visit areas off the beaten path.

Why should we strive for potential matches between mid table teams just because they have history? Why not Blackburn or Leeds?
>>
>americans
>>
>No Lester
:^(
>>
I don't see a single team from the extremely european countries of Azerbaijan and Kazakhstan,
>>
>48 teams
why? the point of a Super League would be to have numerous marquee match ups generating tons of interest every single week, what you created is just a longer CL group stage. No one will give a shit about a Astra Giurgiu - Red Star game.

It should have 20-25 teams, 30 would already be a stretch
>>
>the super league autist is posting again
>>
>European super-league
fuck off with this shit
>>
>>67188924
>spain 4 teams
>englel and italel 5 teams
>>
>>67188924
>Hertha
stopped reading right the fuck there
>>
>>67189123
>>67189310
R O A S T E D
>>
>>67190516
blasphemy
>>
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 990x1016) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 990x1016
>>67188932
>2 Dortmunds
>2 Marseilles
>No Atletico
>No Bilbao

What?
>>
>>67188924

Tottenham and Leicester are better than half the teams on this map, and I bet they have more fans too. Excluding them in favor of clubs like Hertha Berlin and Shaktar Warzone makes no sense.
>>
>>67189123
>trying to banter with the only nationality that ever beat us

>>67188924
So you include 3 teams that aren't even in Europe.....but you leave out Napoli, Tottenham, and Valencia?
>>
I wouldnt have two teams from the same city. Also you need to make sure all the teams come from large markets, to keep things equal. And wealthy markets, so no eastern yuros. You dont need to stick to clubs that are big now. You can choose a big market team that is only small now due to a small league. Brussells, Copenhagen, Stockholm fit this. Avoid teams like Bilbao that wont be able to keep up.
>>
>>67188924
Molde?
There is one club in Norway with an international tradition, its not molde.
>>
Literally
>tf
>to
: the thread
>>
>including small clubs like Man City
>>
>>67188924
>placing Legia in Poznan
In Warsaw you'd get hanged for this
>>
Oh look its that idea everyone hates again.

And why the fuck would a European Super league have conferences? No one understands them or even knows what the fuck they are, let alone likes them.

>Shamrock Rovers
>>
>>67191484
>I wouldnt have two teams from the same city.

That's a bad way to look at this, because some of the best teams in a country are often in the same city.

>Spain
Atletico Madrid and Real Madrid

>England
Manchester City and Manchester United
Chelsea, Arsenal, and Tottenham (London)

>Italy
Inter Milan and AC Milan (not so much nowadays, but they're the only Italian clubs to win the CL in the past decade)
>>
the European Super League is a shit idea and i hope it never happens, but if it did it wouldn't include all those tiny clubs like Maribor or Rovers, since it would only be about money

it would basically be the top 5 from Germany, Italy, England and Spain and maybe additions like PSG and Benfica if they're marketable enough
>>
>>67188924
Add >Schalke so I can have muh derby
>>
fuck off and die

also
>american
>includes israel
of course
>>
>Some of the absolute mickey mouse teams there
>doesn't have celtic and rangers

I should have stopped reading at the yank flag
>>
>>67191851
>top 5

Do you mean the best 5 (Leicester, Tottenham, Man City, Arsenal, Man United)? Or the most popular 5 (Man United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea, Tottenham)?
>>
>>67191931
most popoular, sporting merit has nothing to do with this horrible idea
>>
The idea of a European Super League is shit for several reasons. Fans will not travel through half of Europe to away games. Teams will lose local support. I know Americans can't really grasp the concept of traditions, but many of the teams in local leagues have been fighting against each other for a century. Those rivalries are what fuels football and made it the huge sport that it currently is. Fans are already revolting against clubs like RB Leipzig and what you are proposing will cause a huge rift in football. Not every culture is as big on consumerism as yours is.

It's so typically American to try to make shit like this, for no good reason. Europe isn't a place of university sports. You're a monkey trying to model European football to what you know and see at home. If I look at these conferences, the level of play wouldn't be much different to what happens in local leagues. How do you manage struggling teams? If you hand pick teams to stuff into a league, what happens if one of them collapses? Happens all the time. What is the point of all this?
>>
Why do burgers want to replace champion league with an inferior product? Is it because the so called "big" clubs in eplel failed to qualify for next season CL?
>>
>>67192216
>I know Americans can't really grasp the concept of traditions, but many of the teams in local leagues have been fighting against each other for a century.

Get off your high horse, we have plenty of old rivalries:

>Pittsburgh-Philadelphia since the 1880s (MLB)
>Chicago-St. Louis since 1890s (MLB)
>New York-Boston since the early 1900s (MLB)
>Chicago-Green Bay since the 1920s (NFL)
>Boston-LA since the 1950s (NBA)
>>
>>67192270
>Why do burgers want to replace champion league with an inferior product?

We don't, the executives of the big European clubs (who are overwhelmingly British/Spanish/Italian/Arab) do. It's really weird how the narrative is that this is some idea that the big bad Americans are pushing on the Europeans just because one moron whose job it is to organize friendlies here said it might be a good idea. The idea of a European Super League started in the 1990s, back when none of the big clubs had American owners. And it was brought up again a few years back by Florentino Perez, who I'm pretty sure is a Spaniard.
>>
>>67192275
>1920s
>1950s
>baseball
>>
>>67192270
well just look at owners of the "big" clubs, Arsenal, Liverpoop and United are all owned by burgeroos
>>
Hey OP, at least you got Portugal right! Good job on that
>>
>>67192320
Those are just 3 clubs out of the 15-20 "big" ones:

Real Madrid: Spaniards
Barcelona: Spaniards
Chelsea: Russian
Bayern: Germans
PSG: Arab
Manchester City: Arab
Milan: Italian
Inter: Indonesian
Juventus: Italians
Atletico: Spaniards
Dortmund: Germans
Tottenham: English

The only other "big" club owned by an American is Roma, and I'm not even sure if they count.
>>
>>67192319
>1920s

Green Bay vs Chicago (1921) is older than the Roma-Lazio rivalry (1929) and El Clasico (1939)

>1950s

That's more than 60 years ago, seems like a pretty old rivalry to me.

>baseball

What about it?
>>
>>67192401
*El Clasico (1929)
>>
>>67192275
>let me comb through 3 fucking sports to show there are rivalries, one of which is dead at this point
I'm not arguing that there aren't any rivalries in American sports, by the way. But these are in a different system and applying it to how things are in Europe is a stupid idea.

>>67192296
It started in the 90's, when the American way of handling businesses made its way to Europe. This way of thinking about sports as a cash cow is an American model and the nationalities of those club owners is irrelevant.
>>
>>67192275
So why would you want to stop those teams from playing each other as they have done for a century, just so they can play some foreign team that no one in the country cares about?
>>
would kill off all the other leagues in england
thats why it will never happen
>>
>>67192417

I don't want to. The European Super League is a horrible idea. Why do people keep assuming that Americans want to see this happen? It's literally one stupid businessman and OP, there have been far more high-profile Europeans who have spoken in favor of the idea (including the president of Real Madrid)

>>67192412
>let me comb through 3 fucking sports to show there are rivalries

I was trying to show examples from all three major sports.
>>
>>67192441
We just assumed you were OP, that's all.
>>
I don't care if you build a "Super League" as long as there are relagations/promotions from national level leagues.

The only thing that bothers me is creating a league based on how much money or history a club (owner) has, where failure is not punished, instead of actual sporting merit.
>>
File: jags guy.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
jags guy.gif
2 MB, 236x224
>shamrock rovers

not even the best fucking team in ireland right now
>>
>>67192418
> in england
Everywhere m8.
>>
>>67192496

>I don't care if you build a "Super League" as long as there are relagations/promotions from national level leagues.

This. If you are going to start a SuperLeague, start it with the teams that classified for the Champions League the previous year to its start. And then, promotion and relegation. Just as if always has been. None of this cherrypicking shit.
>>
>>67188932
>Europe West West
>rovers

Poor little white guy. Jpg
>>
What a fucking useless post.

M8, this is not america.
>>
>>67192549
bohs would be a better choice tbqh
>>
>>67190556
Agreed. As a Serb, I can certify that no Serbian team should be in consideration for any kind of super-league. Right now, Red Star is about as good as a 4th division English team, and they're 30 points ahead.
So, include Leicester, Zenit and Napoli instead of Red Star, Astra and Skonto.
>>
>>67192418
I believe this was exactly what people thought when creating the European Champions Cup. Or when it was expanded to non-champions. Or when the Premier League was created.

Lower league teams will always be smaller and depend on local loyal fans to survive.

As I said, it doesn't bother me to have a Super League as long as it has relegation and promotion.
>>
>>67188924
European Superleague is just a tool to consolidate the """big club"""s powers.
For example what the fuck have AC Milan done in the last 10 years yet they deserve to be in the SuperLeague.
These is a completely americanised system and I'm shocked so many people are entertaining this thought
>>
>>67192689
This, the same clubs are pushing for "wild cards" in the CL because they're too shit to get there by merit.
>>
>>67192745
The Champions League already has wild cards, though
>>
>>67192296
>We don't, the executives of the big European clubs (who are overwhelmingly British/Spanish/Italian/Arab) do.
No, it is purely americans who want it. top clubs here come out against it
>>
>>67192790
What kind of crazy shit you talking about?
>>
>no israeli teams

literally another shoah

but seriously now, they lobbied HARD to worm their way into UEFA, you can be absolutely sure they'd worm their way into a euro superleague too
>>
>>67188932

this is utter gibberish

from just a glance: multiple teams there twice, manchester utd in EWW, with manchester city (3 miles away.. ) in EWN .. americans, stay outta football
>>
Derry City is the best team in Ireland m8
>>
>>67188924
>choosing to omit Celtic and Rangers when Celtic have won the European cup, been to UEFA final where they were cheated out of victory. Rangers also reached UEFA Cup final.
>Shamrock Rovers gaining entry.
>>
>>67192790
No, it doesn't, who the fuck told you that?
>>
>>67192946
they have bretty gud away fans
>>
>>67192960
I guess he's talking about the qualifying rounds
>>
File: Walter%20laughing.jpg (21 KB, 460x288) Image search: [Google]
Walter%20laughing.jpg
21 KB, 460x288
>>67192958
>67192958

>cheated out of victory
>>
>>67188924
>paok
>sporting
>bilbao
>whatever the fuck that skonto is
>hertha
>4rsenal
>>
>>67193024
lmao at least Celtic fans didn't literally wreck a whole city for no reason when they lost their cup final.
>>
>>67192650
They were additional competitions though rather than extracting a team out of a league system. Apart from the premier league which has damaged smaller clubs, but this was essentially just a change of governance. The same teams played in the same format.
>>
>>67192358
WOOOOOOO INDOOONN NNNNN
>>
>>67188932
>>67188924
Well this is just shit in so many ways
>>
Iit should be bayern, bvb, schalke and leverkusen for >us
>>
>>67192689
Nobody is entertaining this thought. Every few years, some corporate suit at a club will go, "Hey, we could get more money this way", and they immediately get shot down, every time, by every other club.

And if clubs sell out their stadiums already, how would bigger opposition get them more money? People couldn't go to these matches if they wanted to; the matches will be just as sold out. You could get more money if the TV companies pay more, but they could do that without creating a new league system.
>>
>>67194141
I might be the only one thinking that TV money would go down (for Premier league clubs). While the super league might get tv deals to match what the premier league has now, a super league will kill off the CL so they'd then be missing out on that extra money
>>
File: 1459787367244.jpg (270 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
1459787367244.jpg
270 KB, 1024x768
Fuck off desu OP
>>
>>67194166
Also, it would mean much less money for 16 clubs, so the money on the whole would go down. This is why Celtic and Rangers aren't allowed to join the English league system, which is a similar proposition that comes up every few years. Celtic would get richer, but Aberdeen and St Johnstone would probably go broke.
>>
>>67194141
pay-per-view?
>>
>Americans
>>
>>67194230
You already have to pay, multiple times, to watch Premier League football on TV in England.
>>
>>67193483
he wants to sell soon
Inter is seriously risking going bankrupt
>>
>>67194332
Not on cable?
It's not like box or whatever yet, right? That's what I am implying here.
Some sort of shitty 3,5 hour Mach of a Day crap that's completely out of whatever you're paying for TV licence and cable and available for any and all willing to pay that Ł10 (Ł18 for nonsubscribers) a pop - can stream directly to your shitty ass smartphone for if your wife doesn't allow you to use the big screen TV for more than 1 game a week. Or something.
>>
>>67188924
When will americans understand that their close league system is never gonna happen in Europe?
Promotion/relegation or death.

Make it 20 teams like all top leagues, every year all national league champions have playoffs for promotion to continental level.
>>
>>67194386
>box
Boxing, Jesus fuck.
>>
>>67188924
European super league is a really stupid idea, many Anons have already outlined the reasons for it.

However, I'd be really interested to see what would happen, if several smaller leagues merged. Something like Czech Republic - Austria - Hungary - Slovakia - Slovenia - Croatia could be really interesting. I'd definitely be more interested in Sparta Prague vs. Rapid Vienna than fucking Altach vs. Ried.
>>
>>67194437
>However, I'd be really interested to see what would happen, if several smaller leagues merged
While it would be interesting, yes, it will never happen. Neither it should happen, nor would any clubs want it to happen.
>>
File: based thatch.jpg (118 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
based thatch.jpg
118 KB, 615x409
>>67188924
>tfw all Europes cancer clubs break away
>>
>>67194437
Trying to reunite the empire again Wolfgang? Nevermind, I'd be interested in seeing this kind of league but only because the Croatian premier division became boring about ten years ago when Dinamo Zg started winning every time. Also because they are way richer (UEFA prize money, capital city = buying refs) no other clubs can even come close.

Austrian hockey league is multi national I think and so is Russian.
>>
File: Habsburg Premier League.png (656 KB, 800x986) Image search: [Google]
Habsburg Premier League.png
656 KB, 800x986
>>67194437
>Something like Czech Republic - Austria - Hungary - Slovakia - Slovenia - Croatia could be really interesting.
>>
>>67192960
The 4th-placed teams in the Premier League and La Liga have to play qualifying rounds to get into the Champions League. That's how wild card games work in MLB and the NFL.
>>
>>67194805
>you in charge of understanding the concept of wild cards
>>
File: 1430054054467.png (1 MB, 989x1022) Image search: [Google]
1430054054467.png
1 MB, 989x1022
>>
File: kingchoke.jpg (99 KB, 799x1280) Image search: [Google]
kingchoke.jpg
99 KB, 799x1280
>>67188932
>no lester
stopped reading there
>>
>>67194437
Great idea.

You forgot Bosnia, though. Zeljeznicar VS Rapid Vienna would make the championship start off with a bang.
>>
File: woman-in-pain.jpg (2 MB, 3485x2323) Image search: [Google]
woman-in-pain.jpg
2 MB, 3485x2323
>Americans
>>
Yeah, there's no way PAOK would participate in that league over Panathinaikos or even AEK, no matter how shit they may be.
>>
>>67188924

There already is a European SuperLeague, nigga.

It's called La Liga.
>>
>OP ABSOLUTELY ASS RAVAGING SMELLY EUROS
TOP BANTER 2BH
>>
>>67192296

Whenever the idea of the Superliga is brought up, it's not around the american model but starting off as a CL league format without the occasional Skonto Riga, but with relegation and promotion.

It's still a shitty idea.
>>
>>67195214
you won't save face on this one, OP
>>
>>67194437
My experience doesn't mean that much, but when I was in Europe I saw two Czech league matches (Zizkov v Slovan Liberec and Dukla v Zizkov) and one Austrian league match (Rapid v Austria).

They were all pretty dreadful. Might have just been the games I picked, because Zizkov finished last in the league that year and the Rapid fans boycotted the derby, so that had a weird atmosphere. But, anything that raised the quality and got more people interested would be helpful, in my opinion, and creating a Habsburg league or something might do that.
>>
>>67190556
This desu

Super league needs to be much smaller, and needs to discriminate against lower tier teams that clearly wouldnt make it in such a league.
>liverpool
>>
The type of people who support a Super League are the same type of people who support a unified European state.
>>
>>67195826
German?
>>
>>67194437
In b4 Grödig vs Popovice
>>
>>67196015
Germans don't want a superstate. They want Europe as a colony.
>>
>>67192401
>Roma-Lazio rivalry (1929) and El Clasico (1939)

>JFs
>>
>>67188932
you put dortmund, o. marseille and basel twice and forgot to add atletico m, bilbao and sparta. get your shit together dumbass...if you're trying to prove the superleague would be a good idea (which it's not) at least do it right.
>>
Itt: op was a faggot
>>
File: Euro-Super-League.png (572 KB, 2500x1957) Image search: [Google]
Euro-Super-League.png
572 KB, 2500x1957
Well holy shit I thought the thread died and I didn't check back til this morning.

I fucking put Celtic/Rangers on an updated map you motherfuckers, you guys are so buttblasted about that

The best argument I saw was the guy who said that there was too many teams in the league, and I definitely agree, but hey whatcha gonna do
>>
>>67198739
Alright op m8, see
>>67198689
>>
>>67192923
Maccabi Tel Aviv is in the bottom right bruh
>>
>>67198739
>but hey whatcha gonna do

Maybe could try regional divisions, say based on football associations, of 18-20 teams with the top 1-4 each year going through to a kind of eurowide "champions cup" that runs simultaneously alongside the regional competition? Might work.
>>
>>67198739
>Includes Red Bull and 3 non-European teams
>Doesn't include Valencia, Napoli, or Tottenham

If the goal is "marketability", then you're doing it wrong
>>
>>67198774
that's fair.

I don't even think this is that great an idea, I just think that with how volatile a business enterprise is and how shitty UEFA's Financial Fair Play regulation is PLUS how quickly soccer is exploding as a market there's bound to be an attempt to let the best clubs play each other more often for those sweet TV bucks.

Like I said, I realize that the actual Super League would likely have only 20-32 teams, but I had a vision of like Europe having representation across population centers, which sorta explains my inclusion of Skonto, but the anon who said I should have put Helsinki instead was probably right.

I have a feeling that the wealthier owners (ie. Abramovic and Mansour) will try to band together and get an idea like this off the ground in the next 5-10 years. It will probably meet a lot of backlash from mid-table team's supporters across Europe, and I'd say rightfully so. the future is definitely foggy for European soccer, especially when your guys' owners can look across the atlantic and see how profitable our teams are.
>>
>>67198832
How about make only champions of said associations qualify for CHAMPIONS cup you fucking fuck
>>
>>67199302
You might prefer to watch Partizan play to either Madrid or Roma/Dortmund/Arsenal, but I sure as shit don't. Nor do most european football fans.
>>
>>67199553
enjoy your burger sport model then
>>
>>67198907
>look across the atlantic and see how profitable our teams are
Actually only NFL teams are more profitable than the top 30 euro teams, and this considering how massively fractured european football fanbases are. It's not as much the system that makes them richer, it's the monopoly situation and frankly much better financial management.

>>67199697
>burger sport model
There's nothing burgerish about allowing more teams to the better leagues. It's not like I want to do away with the qualifiers.
Give me one good reason why Partizan should be in the UCL but Atleti not.
>>
>>67199751
whoever wins championship is a champion and goes to champions league

europe is made of many nations

every nation has its champion

champion goes to competition for champions

if one nation has one champion and three 'champions' that all go to champions competition then you have burger sports model where everyone wins except those to don't
>>
>>67199807
Settle down, wannabe Croatia.
>>
>>67199827
okay, champ.
>>
>>67199856
There you go. Breeeathe.
>>
>>67188924
What countries are there in Europe that have nothing of footballing tradition?

European countries where football is not at all popular
>>
>>67203204
>European countries where football is not at all popular
>not at all
None whatsoever. There are countries like the baltics where football is not first place, but there's no country where football isn't popular at all.
>>
>>67203643
No wonder all of Europe is doomed.
>>
>>67191931
Spurs aren't the fifth most popular club in England. They're not even top three most popular in London.
>>
Put Napoli in instead of Lazio, Napoli has more fans and south Italy needs a club
Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.