[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me out yuropoors. Just getting into soccer. Is it fair
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5
File: hologram.gif (282 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
hologram.gif
282 KB, 499x499
Help me out yuropoors. Just getting into soccer.

Is it fair to say that winning your countries league is the equivalent to winning the division in one of our 4 sports? Like it's nice to have the trophy, but that title is just a ticket to the real deal, Champions League?
>>
It's more comparable to winning the American/National League when those two conferences actually were seperate leagues.
>>
>>67126062
>Is it fair to say that winning your countries league is the equivalent to winning the division in one of our 4 sports? Like it's nice to have the trophy, but that title is just a ticket to the real deal, Champions League?

No, the Champions League is a bonus.
>>
>>67126062
No, it's everything. CL is a meme compensation cup
>>
>>67126062
As others have already said, winning the league and becoming champions of your nation is the main priority for clubs. The Champions League is extremely prestigious and only a handful of clubs have ever won it from each of the major European countries, so while it's club football's biggest prize, it's only seen as a bonus to be part of it because of how difficult it is to win.
>>
>>67126062
It's definitely more prestigious than winning a division.

But CL >> League title
>>
No, that's not fair to say at all.
>>
League title is better. You can win the Champions League by beating a bunch of third world teams in the group stage, then getting an easy run through the knock outs.
>>
(national) league title -> regular NBA season champion, best seed
champions league -> winner of the ring
>>
Winning the Premier League is like winning the Superbowl 10 times in a row
>>
CL is more important to countries with leagues dominated by a superteam or two.

PL is so memeworthy and open nowadays that English clubs tend to place an emphasis on that over Europe. It was the other way round of course when our top 4 was set in stone every year.
>>
I think most European clubs prefer the champions league, but if you asked most English fans they'd probably prefer the national league. Maybe because we're shit.

It's a weird one though because qualifying for the champions league in the first place is in some ways more important than winning anything just because of the money being there brings.
>>
>>67126062

It really is not comparable. Pears and apples.

For clubs playing in lower leagues, I guess winning their league is the main goal because they don't stand a chance in the CL. For the big leagues, and the big clubs in particular, both titles are targets.

I think it's more accurate to say that obtaining a CL spot is the target is the main target for clubs that acknowledge they can't win their league. Wenger's Arsenal is a prime example of this.
>>
>>67126659
Lol, the CL is much more prestigious than the BPL
>>
>>67126062
winning the league is like winning the superb owl. winning the champions league is like winning 2 superb owls at once
>>
>>67128618
>Pears and apples
You mean apples and oranges.
Is there a pears and apples idiom in Spanish?
>>
>>67127847
This.

Europe is more important to Spain, Germany and PSG

League is more important to England at the moment
>>
>>67135896
>League is more important to England at the moment
Only because English teams are too shit to win the CL. Once a club becomes a real CL contender CL becomes the #1 target
>>
>English delusion
>>
File: 1444056555483.png (376 KB, 10000x6312) Image search: [Google]
1444056555483.png
376 KB, 10000x6312
>>67126659
t. Man United fan
>>
>>67126659
Didn't United the most prestigious club in England lose to a second division team from Norway or something. I recall euros shitposting about plumbers
>>
>>67139299

no they won
>>
>>67139299
they lost in the first of two games, and in the second went behind before coming back.
>>
>>67126062
No. The Champions League is Europe's Super Bowl, but winning the Domestic League is just as important for most teams.
>>
no because they're separate competitons
also to win a division you have to have a better record than three teams (or is it five?), to win a league you need to have more points than 19 other teams, while facing them all home and away

the league is the ultimate measure of a league quality
that said the CL is still more prestigious, simply because the competition is a lot tougher
>>
It's more like there are two separate competitions, one isn't really a stepping stone to the other.

It's debatable which is the more prestigious prize, and honestly I think it depends more on where the club is. It's almost obligatory for an 'elite' club to have at least one CL, so clubs without it (city, formely chelsea) can be obsessed about getting it, but most fans would probably rather win the league.
>>
>>67140922

Oh and also, some teams have a better history in either of the competitions...So you'll often get Liverpool fans talk up the CL, whereas Man United fans will say it's basically a matter of luck.

Some teams have a history of underperforming/overperforming in the CL vs the league as well.

Honestly I think it's a good system - people usually say the league is a better judge of team quality but imo there's certainly an aspect of peak performance, mental strength under pressure, 'rising to the occasion and on which are totally valid aspects of team quality, and which the CL measures better than the league.

Idk part of me feels, that the US maybe doesn't have a two-tier system because given the nature of their sports (high scoring basically) the 'best' team wins far more often than in soccer
>>
>>67126062
i don't think so, the domestic league is one of the two major trophies a club can win, winning the league makes the season a success no matter what happens in the CL

it's also a very rewarding trophy as it confirms you as the most consistent team that year so you can basically go to anywhere in the country and take the piss out of everyone knowing that your club is better than theirs
>>
>>67141106
This

Winning the league means you're better than your domestic rivals (which is what most football fans care about).

Winning the CL means you're elite, the top dog, the final boss, etc.
>>
ITT: Yuropoors attempting mental gymnastics to convince you that a domestic title is more important than a CL title because they're not fans of one of the 5 or so clubs that can actually spend enough money to win the CL

Soccer is broken, sorry you don't see it yet.
>>
>>67144502
Burgertard please go and stay go.
>>
>>67144502
>Soccer is broken, sorry you don't see it yet.
>Premier league literally on the verge of one of the greatest sporting stories of all time
>>
>>67144538
>Using the exception as the rule

It doesn't work that way faggot.
>>
>>67144538
Lestchestershireford is going to get BTFO in the CL next season. It's gonna be hilarious.
>>
>>67144560
I think it does. Seasons like this are why I watch the game. They don't come often but you always hope they do.
>>
>>67144502

they just salty every1 laught about their "BEST LEAGUE IN THE WOOORLDDDDD!" could lose their 4. CL spot to Italy and teams like Manchester United are just cannonfodder in CL anymore

too bad Italy shit their bed (again) this Season

La Liga is clearly better as the Top3 are all would be EPL champions with 10points+ clear by now.

but atleast they will win the Euro...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA this hillarious Delusion over Friendlys like when Swiss btfo Germany 5:2 be4 WC 2014
>>
>>67144709
lmao
>>
EPL is more important hurr durr
t. Englishmen that will never see a team of theirs win anything in Europe
because they are SHIT
a league that can be won by fucking Leicester is a joke.
>>
>>67144812
Why would I care if teams I don't support win the CL?

It's a million miles away from 90% of fans in England because we aren't all Real or Barcacucks and our football system actually has depth beyond a team or two stacked with world class talent.

I care way more about who's getting relegated from the PL than your MSN vs TSUUUU autism.
>>
>>67135828
not him, but yes.
"Estás comparando peras y manzanas"
>>
>>67144880
>our football system actually has depth beyond a team or two stacked with world class talent.
Every team in the Liga BBVA would be a top 10 in the EPL, and you know it's true. Fucking Athletic Bilbao that are only allowed to sign players from a place the size of Wales rekt United a few years back.
>>
>>67126062
American """""""sports""""""" have no CL equivalent
>>
>>67144948
knew that would clock you
I've no problem admitting that La Liga is the strongest in Europe, but I mean depth in terms of things which are interesting.

Eibar? Las Palmas? These clubs are literal whos on the international stage.

Aston Villa will be playing in the Championship next season. Aston fucking Villa.

The problem with Spanish football is the focus rarely drifts beyond Barca and Real. To me, that's tiresome. Maybe it's different actually being from Spain, but it's the view we get from over here.
>>
>>67144812
kill yourself
>>
>>67145020
You overrate Aston fucking Villa m8. Literally the most famous person I can relate to them is UTV.
Of course the ELP is more interesting for an english lad than La Liga and for me a Eibar - Las Palmas would be more interesting than an Everton - Tottenham.
>>
>>67145076
I'll say that again:
A league that can be won by fucking Leicester is a joke.
>>
>>67144502
>implying the league is even on the mind of shitters like Bournemouth either
>>
>>67126062
For teams that aren't Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern, PSG and Juventus the Champions League is a reward for an extraordinary season and they see it as a reward and are happy to play in it. Those teams won their league so much they don't care about it much anymore and focus on the Champions League, but a team that doesn't always win the league value the league over the champions league, since that is not their primary focus.
>>
>>67144812

> hating on based leicester
> a league where teams aren't BTFO 7-0 by TSSUUUUUUUU is so bad
>>
File: 1415929759937.png (244 KB, 521x539) Image search: [Google]
1415929759937.png
244 KB, 521x539
>>67126250
>>67126270
>>67126374
>>67126635
>>67126659
>>67127847

>English teams trying to discount the importance of the Champions League

How shocking
>>
>>67126062
Cl isn't mickey mouse, but it was invented by Jfs because they didn't have anything as prestigious as the English first division.

Basically it goes

Epl >> Cl >>> continental domestic league
>>
>>67145020
Bournemouth? Wolverhamtom? These clubs are literal whos on the international stage.

Real Zaragoza and Alaves will be playing in the Championship this season. A Recopa winner and a UEFA Cup finalist some years ago.
>>
>>67144709
Abe: The Post

Op m8 you have to appreciate the depth of the bitterness and jealousy our Eu brothers feel for us.

I remember the days of the mid naughties when English teams dominated. The turbo mad was off the charts.
>>
>>67147544
>a UEFA Cup finalist some years ago
You mean like Wolves.

There will be as many ex ec winners in the championship next season as you have in your country.
>>
File: datleg.jpg (31 KB, 630x420) Image search: [Google]
datleg.jpg
31 KB, 630x420
>>67126062
IM HERE FOR YOU BRUZZIO.

Before i explain what is the other sport you would like me to compare this too?
>>
the british denial itt is thru the fucking roof lol
>>
its a bit weird that all big euro leagues have a top 1 (germany, france, italy), top 2 (spain, netherlands), or top 3 (memegal)

england is the only country with some kind of parity, so for england i'd say the league is more important. one team leagues, winning the league is basically taken for granted so the CL.

a league like spain, they prefer CL but if they cant get that, they'd rather win the league so their rivals dont. so madrid could not care less about the league if they won CL
>>
File: La-Liga-Premier-League-logo.jpg (57 KB, 620x309) Image search: [Google]
La-Liga-Premier-League-logo.jpg
57 KB, 620x309
tangentially, as another american getting into football, what should I look into to better understand it?
I've been watching the EPL and La Liga to gain an understanding and appreciation for the game, what can I do to hurry/improve that? (reading up on rosters, watching historic games, ?)

sorry for the digression
>>
>>67149742
Watch Istanbul 2005 la
>>
>>67126062
dumb frogposter
>>
>>67147915
American football (not OP)
>>
>>67149742
Have a bash at "Inverting the pyramid" by Jonathan Wilson
>>
>>67126062
Dumb frogposting amerilard
>>
>>67144581
>>67144812
>>67145116
>chat shit
Watch as CL becomes a "joke" next year.
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.