[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The NBA and NHL """playoffs"""
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (57 KB, 458x302) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
57 KB, 458x302
The NBA and NHL """playoffs""" are an embarrassment to sports. Teams who are under .500 have made the playoffs, meaning teams worse than the average record can make the playoffs

The NBA and NFL playoffs should be like the NFL playoffs with 12 teams making it instead of 16. The top 6 teams in each conference make the playoffs with the top 2 seeds in each conference getting a bye in the first round. The 3rd seed would play the 6th seed and the 4th seed would play the 5th seed

Over half of the teams making the playoffs doesn't make any sense. 12 teams (6 from each conference) would be perfect
>>
NFL is fine, NHL and NBA should be 8 teams total, MLB should be 2 teams total
>>
>>66944179
Now you're taking it too far. 12 is good because everybody has a chance to make it but they can't half ass their way in. The MLB should go back to the old wild card system with the best record from a non division winner making the playoffs
>>
I like NBA playoffs, NHL playoffs, and MLB playoffs way more than NFL playoffs because the team that wins the most usually gets to the next round deservedly in a 'best of' series instead of it being a single-game knockout where meme teams can get to the Super Bowl simply by going on a streak in the playoffs thus making the regular season somewhat irrelevant.

Also they do 8 teams in NHL/NBA because if they didn't the teams that were in the top seed would be somewhat at a disadvantage since they wouldn't be nearly as mentally prepared as a team that just came from winning their own playoff series.
>>
>>66944224
*16 teams
>>
>>66944224
well, the nhl and nfl playoffs are usually the ones where a low seed can actually win out. nba tends to be a huge talent monarchy with high seeds almost always getting there and winning it.
>>
>>66944114
*The NBA and NHL playoffs should be like the NFL playoffs with 12 teams
>>
>>66944214
The MLB season is so fucking long and then becomes entirely meaningless once the playoffs begin, It's retarded. 4 teams should make the playoffs at most.

NBA playoff length is just pointless because the top regular season teams almost always win

NHL is alright I guess. Both the regular season and playoffs can be kind of a crapshoot.
>>
>>66944114
NHL playoffs is tens time more exciting to watch than the apehoop playoffs

I don't even watch the regular season for neither sport because they can both be boring as fuck and for apehoop I just don't find big numbers exciting unlike these suburban kids do
>>
NHL should not be more than 8. Their playoffs are great and would be even better with just the really top teams.

NBA playoffs are awful. Since they put the 4 out of 7 for the first round there is zero chance of major upsets.

MLB is fine. I get the bitching about a 90+ win team having to play the wild card game, but then just get rid of the divisions.

No playoff season should go for two months either.

NFL works because its just one game and that's it.
>>
>>66944325
People hated the original Wild Card because it was a perpetual Yankee/Red Sox monopoly and gave the division winners zero advantage of winning the division.

Also the all star game determining home field is ridiculous. If you want to do that gimmick, have the league that wins the most interleague games get it.
>>
>>66944114
NFL has the best playoff system because it is one game , no series.

MLB is another great system that fits perfectly for them

NBA is retarded , you get a participation award and a free pass to the playoffs

NHL does the same shit but at least the teams that go in aren't entirely bad and sometimes can be fun to watch

until both the NHL and NBA get an additional 2 teams nothing can change
>>
NHL has the best playoffs of any sport desu
>>
>>66945798
Yeah but over half of the teams making the playoffs is retarded. You don't even need to be good to get into the playoffs you just need to be average or not Canadian
>>
>>66944224
>he actually likes it when the (insert dominant team of the era) wins 3 years in a row
the fact of the matter is that it's boring and predictable as hell. playoffs where the underdog stands a decent chance at winning are much more exciting.
>>
Any league where you can play round robin should have its playoff length cut. Fuck the NBA and NHL having so many (and fuck the Blue Jackets for still rarely making it). MLB could just be the regular season AL champ vs NL champ, but the divisions have rivalry meaning now so having divisional + 1 wildcard in each league works

NFL is fine, except I don't like the reseeding. Just have a bracket
>>
Baseball has the playoffs because there's actually a sense that the teams that make it are the best of the best

Having over half of the NBA make the postseason is fucking retarded, cut it down to 8 teams
>>
>he wants to watch the same few teams win every year

Fuck that
>>
File: 1452049474653.jpg (29 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
1452049474653.jpg
29 KB, 480x360
>>66944114

I don't understand why some have a problem with sub .500 or more than half of teams getting into the playoffs. Just because a team goes to the playoffs doesn't mean they're going to win a game. Do those who criticize this model want shorter postseasons? The "good" teams should sweep the sub par teams every year right?
>>
>>66944114
Low seed teams in hockey can cause quite a stir though. Just a few years ago the 8th seed won the Cup.

I agree about basketball tho, that shit is just "lol higher seed wins" until the conference finals
>>
in the nba i can see where you are coming from but the nhl lower seed are capable of upsetting a top team. The fact that a team must win 16 games to get the stanley cup just makes it that much more respectable and coveted (even more so in a physical sport like hockey)
>>
>>66951220
why do canadians worship this cuckold sport so much?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-30-45.png (154 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-30-45.png
154 KB, 1920x1080
>>66944114
>Teams who are under .500 have made the playoffs, meaning teams worse than the average record can make the playoffs
Was 2015 your first NFL season
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-35-29.png (216 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-20-01-35-29.png
216 KB, 1920x1080
>>66951317
2010 NFC West
>>
>>66951404
>>66951317
No fuckhead, it wasn't. I was 9ers and it was ridiculous, I knew all about it. That shit happens way less often in football and would happen all the time if 16 fucking teams made it instead of 12. In the NBA and NHL teams barely above or barely below .500 make the playoffs. Why should a team get into the playoffs just for being average? At least when it happens in the NFL they get in because they won their division
>>
>>66951626
*a 9ers fan
>>
>>66951626
Because NFL owners are greedy as fuck and don't give a shit about quality of play as long as they make their mountains of money and expanded playoffs is just MORE MONEY for them. Who cares is 6-10 teams get in they're getting more rich!

NFL's gonna die within our lifetimes desu
>>
>>66951749
You completely missed the point of my post

Most teams who make the playoffs in the NFL are at least 10-6 (.625 winning percentage) with maybe one or two 9-7 and maybe in a shit year an 8-8 team making it. While in the NBA .500 teams and lots of teams barely above .500 make it every year
>>
File: 1460827685690.png (51 KB, 600x402) Image search: [Google]
1460827685690.png
51 KB, 600x402
Are we not gonna mention the fact that 12 teams is mathematically impossible
>>
>>66952110
no sub .500 nhl team make the playoffs.
the rockets are exactly .500 and are the worse team to make the nba playoffs this year.
>>
>>66952484
Are you not reading what I posted or what?
>>66952317
Do you not understand what a first round bye for the top 2 seeds in each conference means?
>>
>>66944114
Celtics are getting blown out by 20 points yet this team is somehow "playoff material" with a bunch of unknown nigs with dreads.
>>
I agree, NBA and NHL should be 8 teams total. NBA especially since there's virtually 0 chance of an upset anymore with the best of 7 first round.

MLB should go back to 8 or 4 teams

NFL is perfect
>>
>>66955806
Have you ever watched hockey?
Some of the most exciting upsets are in this sport.
Just look at 2006. Most exciting playoff run by an 8th seed ever. Watching the top teams do it over and over is boring as shit. Just look at basketbore.
>>
>>66956123
Why don't those teams just do better next season. 12 teams isn't drastically different from 16. That's still means 40% of teams would make the playoffs
>>
>>66956205
>>66956123
Sorry, I didn't see that that guy said 8 teams. I think 12 is the right number
>>
>>66956123
Yes, I've actually watched every playoffs since 2002. I just think the regular season should mean more. Though one could argue that hockey already does that pretty well with the Presidents Trophy at stake.
>>
The best is the CFL, where 6 out of 9 teams make the playoffs lmao
>>
>>66956678
Lmao
>>
>>66950877
>it's bad to have shitters meme it up through a good run because reasons
okay lad
>>
>>66956719
Rofl
>>
File: NBA Finals.png (12 KB, 289x239) Image search: [Google]
NBA Finals.png
12 KB, 289x239
NBA only needs 4 teams per conference. Pic related, it's almost always one of the top 2 records in each conference that makes the Finals and never one of the bottom 4.

Baseball should abolish divisions and go almost yurosoccer style; best record in each league makes it directly to the Series. Baseball is too flukey to use such a small sample size as 5 games to eliminate teams. They have 162 games to differentiate themselves already. The current playoffs are just a crapshoot. The current setup is as if you need to work hard to win your division only to get a ticket to the lotto.
>>
>>66944114
this season in the nba playoffs, all teams were above .500 for the regular season
>>
>>66962785
Rockets were 41-41. That is not above .500
>>
>>66944114
giving teams a first round bye in a best-of-seven playoff series is retarded. there would literally be a 2week+ break for the top teams between the end of their season and the start of their playoffs.
>>
>>66962823
Yes leaf, I understand this. But no system can be perfect
>>
>>66945832
When playoffs start anyone can win it, it's a clean slate, much more exciting than the top team always winning it
>>
>>66962863
How is what you said made any different with 12 teams making it instead of 16? There would be the same number of rounds and a lot of teams would still make it, the only difference is you have to be above average to make the playoffs and not just average. Also the top two seeds from each conference would get to skip to one round but would still have to make it through three rounds including the playoffs which isn't easy
>>
>>66962916
*skip one round
>>
when you only let in 12 teams like the nfl does, you get situations where "wildcard" teams have better records than division leaders, but they get cucked out of the playoffs. (see jets/texans this past season) at least in the nba/nhl teams with better records dont get totally cucked.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.