[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does anyone have a favorite sport that isn't American
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10
File: 1445202225114.jpg (99 KB, 600x804) Image search: [Google]
1445202225114.jpg
99 KB, 600x804
How does anyone have a favorite sport that isn't American football? I've tried getting into other sports, and I can enjoy them (except cricket), but I can't imagine how someone's favorite sport could be basketball, baseball, hockey or soccer.

What is your favorite sport and what makes it your favorite?
>>
Try a combat sport
Boxing, MMA, Kickboxing, etc
>>
>>66828060
Well, I prefer baseball, basketball and soccer to those kinds of sports, but I just don't understand how someone could enjoy them more than football.
>>
>>66827949
Hockey is pretty God tier and the fans are much less casual. Not to mention games every other day and longer better playoffs
>>
The main sport- football
The side sport- basketball
The novelty sport- baseball
The obscure sport- lacrosse

It helps if you played
>>
File: image.jpg (62 KB, 497x399) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
62 KB, 497x399
Baseball

It's a sport where anybody skilled enough has a shot to compete even if you're not a freak of nature athletic specimen, which some people mock it for, but I love that. Also late inning playoff is baseball is the best drama in sports
>>
>>66828202
Hockey is the one sport that no matter how hard I try, I just can't get into it. What makes it so great for you?
>>
Basketball

As a kid, I was never into it, in fact, I didn't care about sports in general. Then in high school, me and my friends played a TON of League of Legends. Way to fucking much actually (who else /season1/ here?).
I grew out of it eventually, but for a log time I couldn't find anything else that grabbed my interest as much as that shitty game.
Over summer a couple years ago, one of my friends (a die hard laker fan) loaded up a YouTube video of the "best basketball plays" or something like that.
The way he explained it, 5 people working together to win, using a variety of strategies and techniques like the screen, pick-n-roll, alley-oop, all that shit.
I know that basic formula applies to literally every team sport, but I think it works with basketball best.
I've been hooked ever since
HAWKS HAWKS HAWKS HAWKS HAWKS
>>
>>66828243
Yeah I gotta second this, my area has a baller team and I'd like to get into it, but I just don't see the appeal
>>
>>66828265
Do you possibly still have that video?
>>
>>66828243
Well I grew up playing it and am Minnesotan so it's different.

Idk, why not watch the playoffs? They are on now.

>>66828296
Which team? Watch the playoffs it's pretty fun. Best playoff in sports as far as I'm concerned
>>
>>66828242
This

Baseball is just beautiful
>>
Watching handegg is literally like watching someone else play football manager
>>
>>66828389
Watching cricket is dildos and your only sport worth a shit is AFL
>>
>>66828335
I love baseball. It's the most comfy sport by far. The only problem I have with it is that luck seems to play in a lot more than in any other sport. The worst team in the league could beat the best team in the league three times in a row and nobody would bat an eyelash, but if the Lions beat the Patriots, all Hell would break loose.
>>
>>66828318
I can't remember the specific one man, sorry.
I'm sure if you just throw up dat YouTube and look at like 100 best NBA plays all time you'll find some cool stuff (be ready for low res tho)
>>
>>66828331
What makes the playoffs so great?
>>
>>66828331
I'm from LA so I could hop on the Kings wagon (are they actually good or did the local media brainwash me)
>>
>>66828410
The fact that you think AFL is good shows how shit your opinion is
>>
>>66828504
Because it's the Cup :^)
Also effort is 100%
It's very emotional it's hard to describe. It's a big fucking deal, every series.

>>66828505
Kings are going to win the Cup AGAIN this year bro. Plus the banter will be godtier because you play San Jose first and if you win you'll likely play Anaheim next. Good California banter.
>>
I think football is the best but I love basketball, baseball and will watch any sport in the playoffs

I'm gonna watch hockey all night and I barely watched any hockey in the regular season
>>
File: 1451368506923.png (150 KB, 583x501) Image search: [Google]
1451368506923.png
150 KB, 583x501
>>66828505
Kings play at 7:30 tonight, I'd make an effort to watch the game. Hockey is super addictive and 10/10 entertainment
>>
Any MLS fans here?
>>
baseball

it's a nightmare to try to watch every game unless you have no life, but it's a great game to listen to while doing other things.
>>
>>66828603
Well I do love me some top tier bants >>66828689
Thanks to both of you, Ima check it out!
>>
>>66828689
my problem has always been attachment

>Oklahoma has no teams
>hate all Dallas teams
>i tend to root for Kansas City teams but KC has no team
>tried to follow the Leafs but holy shit they are infuriating

if OKC or Tulsa got a team I could get behind it though
>>
>>66828933
>tfw live in Las Vegas and have to wait another year before I can really start watching hockey
>>
>>66828933
Me too

Milwaukee needs a team. Give us one and I'll watch 82 games a season
>>
Soccer.

I've liked sports ever since I was in school but I didn't get into soccer until WC 2006 when the USA was hyped to hell and back. Of course they proceeded to suck ass but I was hooked. I started watching everything I could find, EPL, MLS, etc. I started following Manchester City because the USA's captain played for them. I still watch it as much as possible and play with some of my m8s when possible. I love most sports but soccer is just great
>>
>>66828984
I'm finding myself enjoying soccer more and more. Looking to start following a team, but don't know which one to follow. (Live in Utah, but hate Real Salt Lake)
>>
File: euphoric.jpg (7 KB, 272x185) Image search: [Google]
euphoric.jpg
7 KB, 272x185
>>66827949
>"My favorite sport isn't American Football. Why you may ask? Why would I want to watch a bunch of roided out chads fight over an egg? I prefer sports with more intelligence and skill like REAL football, or as you plebeians call it, 'soccer'."
>>
Baseball because reasons
>>
File: 1454553579350.gif (3 MB, 375x297) Image search: [Google]
1454553579350.gif
3 MB, 375x297
Baseball desu
>>
Football is show and boring and the players are complete pussies that can only take 18 games a year (or 22 for super bowl i guess)

Watch hockey
More skill
More violent
More games (82 season, up to 28 post)
And to be honest, more good sportsman behavior
>>
https://youtu.be/UBOTqihbMgs
>>
>>66827949
Baseball because I'm from New York, United States.
>>
Fencing, tbhh
>>
>>66830942
Murica

But seriously, baseball IS the best
>>
pretty easily

the amount of advertising is so frequent its nauseating
>>
>>66831433
wow!

finally an american saying this
i waited so much for this

it was always mind-boggling to me how americans just accept their favorite sport being interrupted every fucking 5 minutes by some idiotic commercials
but americans just didn't seem to care

you're finally waking up
good
>>
>>66831516
Your team's jersey is an ad
>>
>>66831567
so what?

it doesn't interrupt the game

much better commercial solution
>>
>>66827949
Watch thread Liverpool/Dortmund match and tell me soccer isn't the GOAT.
>>
>>66831433
this is why I watch Redzone channel- no commercials. When the Packers are playing I'll watch them and flip over to Redzone during commercials

The commercials make it possible for something like Redzone to exist, and Redzone channel is the greatest sportswatching experience in sports
>>
>>66828433
hence 162 games. Baseball needs a huge sample size for the actual best teams to make the playoffs
>>
rugby because no ads + born and played it + no pussy fagarmor
>>
>>66829070
Just start watching primetime games and find a team you like based on play style, storylines, specific players, the fucking color of their jersey, anything really. I generally stay away from MLS but they do have some hype primetime games despite the drop in quality from Europe.

I tuned into a Dortmund game in 2011 and, besides the team I was raised to support, they hooked me in. They're my 2nd favorite team to watch.
>>
>>66831433
This is why I can really only watch mid-major college football anymore.

Freestyle wresting is my favorite sport, though it's unfortunately almost never on TV. I love watching baseball and hockey too
>>
File: 1295495033496.jpg (39 KB, 658x681) Image search: [Google]
1295495033496.jpg
39 KB, 658x681
>>66831589
>that flag
>that comment
>>
>>66831670
have a (you)
>>
>>66831516
>ameridumbs luv dere advertisements
lurk moar you fucking brainwashed retard
>>
>>66827949
Cricket, because it's so funny when amerilards with their ADD can't comprehend its cerebral beauty
>>
1. NBA - Grew up in Chicago watching Jordan and the Bulls. 'Nuff said
2. Golf - Play it and love the culture of it. It's the gentleman's game.
3. NFL - The most followed sport by almost everyone--and I completely understand why. No other fantasy sport comes close, either.

POWER GAP

4. Boreball
5. Icestick

POWER GAP

9999. Divegrass
>>
>>66827949
I've got more respect and admiration for baseball. But I love the sheer bloodsport vibe football has.
>>
>>66828296
Hockey offers the same extreme athleticism and drama that you'll find in most other pro leagues. Why do you even enjoy watching sports if not for these characteristics?
>>
>>66828711

It's getting better every year. Support is growing for my local team at a very noticeable rate, and the team is doing good. Vancouver Whitecaps.

I still invest more time in la liga and CL though
>>
Football for me.

I could NEVER get into soccer because the damn clock never stops and the refs just pull out of their ass when the game is over. And the diving, my god, the diving. It's too damn slow.

Baseball is for autists.

Basketball is only good in the playoffs, and college just wipes the floor with the NBA.

Hockey is the only sport I could see myself getting into, but I have a few major issues. They try way too hard to make it relivant with the fights and the points. Why in the fuck is "fighting" allowed. Pathetic. Points for making it to overtime? Just win the damn game and have a better record. How are points necessary?
>>
My favourite sports are rugby, cricket, boxing and strongman
I quite like gridiron but I prefer continuous sports
>>66830942
>baseball
>unique
it's literally rounders
>>
>>66834303
Back to plebbit Daniel
>>
>>66834775
I mean I'm also this guy >>66828265
so I can totally get the athleticism and the drama
>>
>>66827949
I saw the light after middle school of watching football

Baseball , once understood, is the much better sport overall

and thankfully the seasons are so far apart you don't have to worry about missing a game for either until post season baseball but even then the schedules are aligned perfectly because NFL and MLB are gay butt buddies and have been for decades
>>
>>66831670
I played and yes they wear shoulder padding under their rugby shirts along with head gear
>>
File: 64vberyha3e5.jpg (87 KB, 580x764) Image search: [Google]
64vberyha3e5.jpg
87 KB, 580x764
>>66831588
>it doesn't interrupt the game

What game? Everytime I try to watch it's people lightly jogging/borderline walking after a ball. Also the lack of aggression is fucking disgusting. I was watching USA v Guatemala a few weeks ago and literally (no exaggeration) anytime someone got tapped they'd start break dancing trying to draw a penalty and play would stop. This would happen almost every other god damn minute.

Top that with I only want to watch USA, who's terrible at footie and MLS talent is such shit that you could pull faggots from the mob of hipsters and I wouldn't be able to tell the difference. To top it off, MLS is just trying to copy European football (fan culture and sport alike) that it all comes across as lame.

Which is a shame because I really enjoyed that Belgium v USA match a few years ago, and if I wouldn't mind supplementing my sports viewing experience with another sport. (boreball and apehoop are unfiltered shit)

t. a burger who tried watching soccer
>>
>>66828933
>not rooting for the oilers
get out of my state
>>
>>66840323
shoulder padding is illegal. you're just shit because you're yank.

also scrumcaps don't protect you from anything besides cauliflower ear.
>>
>>66827949
>I can't imagine other peoples points of view

Isn't this the main sign of autism?
>>
>>66827949
football sucks dick. games take 4 hours to finish and every play is a penalty. it seems like every fan of the sport is some lazy fat fuck that likes sitting on his ass every sunday from 1 to 12 and obsessed with his fantasy team
>>
File: Thats_just_your_opinion[1].jpg (29 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Thats_just_your_opinion[1].jpg
29 KB, 300x300
>I can't imagine how someone's favorite sport could be hockey
>>
File: 1256524959113.jpg (63 KB, 600x423) Image search: [Google]
1256524959113.jpg
63 KB, 600x423
>>66828952
>tfw live in Wisconsin, one of the biggest hockey states besides Minnesota
>they decide to give Vegas a team instead of Milwaukee
>>
>>66827949
>can't get into Cricket

opinion disregarded.
>>
>>66827949
>Not understanding and enjoying the beautiful sport of cricket

OP is an absolute tard
>>
>>66828410
Kek, AFL
What an absolute shit show
>>
I find it a very slow game, my favorite "sport" is [spoiler] sumo [/spoiler]
>>
>>66846911
>britbongistans incharge of comprehending the English language
>>
>>66827949
Hockey because of the skill, speed, and atmosphere at games.

I've been playing and watching hockey for 24 years now.

Nothing else piques my interest.
>>
>>66828242

>anybody skilled enough has a shot to compete even if you're not a freak of nature athletic specimen

Really? Show me an MLB player that isn't a freak.
>>
Boxing. It is as brutal as it is beautiful. Fast pace. 36 minutes aren't stretched over 2 -4 hours with commercials.
>>
>>66827949
I love NFL because of its short schedule creates this sort of tension because every play is vastly important. It does a great job of that.

With that said I watch MLB, NBA, NHL, I watch Golf sometimes, I will watch Soccer if its on TV.
There are some times where you will be able to watch some sporting event pretty much every day of the week.

I cant fucking wait for the olympics either.
>>
>>66827949
If you have ever been to a hockey game, then you should already know why.
>>
>>66840532
Honestly the PL is a better league for what you're looking for. Not too much diving outside of teams like Chelsea and City and the tempo is way more accelerated and so is the aggression as a result. Watch these highlights of the liverpool-dortmund game from this week even though it's not EPL you can see the huge gap from American soccer which sounds like what you're basing your opinion on
https://youtu.be/R3YFPflXDIU
>>
>>66828546
Found the wog
>>
Friendly reminder
>>
>>66840323
Some people wear little foam shoulder pads but the vast majority don't. Same with scrum caps
>>
>>66836533

>why are points necessary

???
>>
Why don't football players wear superior motorcycle helmets?
>>
>>66852580
not him but most second basemen, catchers and some pitchers
>>
>>66852705
>I like my league because they never actually play

The mental gymnastics on these types of posts are impressive.
>>
>>66845633
This
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.