[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do professional basketball players shoot free throws overhanded
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: chinanu-4[1].jpg (306 KB, 636x636) Image search: [Google]
chinanu-4[1].jpg
306 KB, 636x636
Why do professional basketball players shoot free throws overhanded when it's proven to me more effective to use an underhanded shot?
>>
Because this isn't the wnba you bitch
>>
'cause they are not little girls
>>
>>66783897
>>66783901
So you're arguing that players should purposely handicap their ability to win games in order to be perceived as masculine?
>>
>>66783939
yes you sissy faggot
>>
>>66783976
But why?
>>
>>66784068
Because it's a men world
>>
high school coaches teach you how to shoot overhanded. regardless of whether or not underhand is more effective they would have to re-learn their habits that they've developed since they were kids.
>>
>>66784127
It depends on your position, though: if you're a tall athletic freak, they'll rather say "lol free throws? who gives a fuck about technical skills? just go lift some weight in the gym"

then you have guys pic related, and NBA commentators who keep being astonished about how Serbian 7 footers can shoot 70% at FTs as if it were something never seen in history
>>
>OP confirmed for never shooting a ft in his life
>>
File: 1458783031573.jpg (42 KB, 306x344) Image search: [Google]
1458783031573.jpg
42 KB, 306x344
>average player has a 90% free throw percentage when shooting underhand
>average player has a 75% free throw percentage when shooting overhand
>overhand is the only method that's taught in high school and college and if you're caught shooting underhand you automatically lose your scholarship
Why is this allowed?
>>
Because it looks lame, all those big men with shitty FT% would increase it if they shot so underhand but they don't want to because they would look stupid. Also it's proven to be more effective shooting underhand, even one of the best shooters ever Reggie Miller knows this and has said a lot of times big men need to do it.
>>
Basketball is a very much "we've always done it this way sport". They played for about 20 years without cutting a hole in the basket ffs. And why there are Curry haters.
>>
>shoot 10-20 balls a game, all over hand
>shoot 1-5 free throws a game
BETTER DO THESE IN A DIFFERENT MANNER THAN I'M REQUIRED TO SHOOT THE BALL AT ANY OTHER POINT OF THE GAME AND FUCK OFF MY MUSCLE MEMORY.
>>
>>66784068
Because the only thing more important than winning is looking good while doing it. Do you even have testosterone?
>>
I've shot some underhanded free throws (not in a game or anything) and I was surprised by how often I made them, but I don't know if I made them as often as shooting them overhand. Underhand just feels unnatural and weird and also makes you look like a faggot
>>
>>66784817
Everyone should be a Curry hater
>>
Nogs are vain.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.