[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there an american that can tell me how the MLS post season
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: mls.gif (31 KB, 650x572) Image search: [Google]
mls.gif
31 KB, 650x572
is there an american that can tell me how the MLS post season works and from when to when it's happening?

Is it somewhat like baseball where they make a KO tournament based on the league position of the participating teams?

I want more soccer to watch and this unusual spin to it might be my thing.
>>
>>66761800
google it
>>
>>66761892
I want to be spoonfed
>>
KO. Late October until early December. It's usually a shitshow, with mediocre teams going to the final.
>>
>>66762055
Also 60% of teams make the playoffs, kek.
>>
>>66762065

Just because they want to have the playoff system established as they continue to expand.
>>
>>66762065
A necessary sacrifice for the best possible format
>>
They take the worst team and sacrifice them to George Washington. This offering involves Hulk Hogan dropkicking the shit out of the entire team, until they all die.

Then their ashes are mixed with fireworks, ready to be shot into the sky on the 4th of July in honor of the proud vets who lay down their life for this beautiful nation.

Semper fi
>>
>>66762084
finally someone giving me all the answers I wanted
>>
>>66761918
MLS is broken up into 2 conferences of 10 teams, Eastern and Western
The playoffs consist of the 6 teams in each conference who finish the highest within their own conference (and not overall)

The teams with the 3rd and 4th best finishes host the teams with the 6th and 5th best finishes, respectively and within their own conference, in a single game where the winner advances and the loser is eliminated.
It was here where https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqL7LIu7qEI occured

Then come the conference semifinals, where the teams who finished 1st and 2nd play the lower and higher of the seeds who advanced from the previous round, respectively and again within their own conference. Now they play a 2-game series, home and home, similar to the CL and EL knockout stages complete with away goals, but the higher seed hosts last.

Then come the conference finals, which includes the the winners from the semis. They play once again within their own conference in a two game series where the higher seed hosts last

And then comes the MLS Cup final, which takes the conference final winners and have them play in a one game playoff for the championship, hosted by the team with the better overall finish
>>
>>66761800

NASL

>The NASL began playing a split-season format in 2013. Similar to Liga MX, Central, and South American leagues, the schedule consisted of two competitions, Spring and Fall, with the winner of the Spring season earning the right to host the Fall champion in a one-game playoff, the Soccer Bowl. In 2014 the postseason was altered again with the introduction of The Championship: The NASL Spring Season and Fall Season champions are joined in the semi-finals of The Championship by the two clubs with the next best overall records from both seasons combined. The semi-final winners will compete in The Championship final. The NASL Spring Season and Fall Season champions will each host a semi-final. The number one seed will be awarded to whichever of the Spring or Fall champions posts the better combined regular season record. The number three and number four seeds will be awarded to the next two clubs with the best overall records from both seasons combined. Clubs will retain their seeding throughout the postseason. The top-seeded semi-final winner will host The Championship final. If the same club wins both seasons, the clubs with the second, third and fourth best overall records from both seasons combined will qualify for The Championship.
>>
>>66762168
thanks pal, sounds a lot like the world series
>>
>>66761800
>worst team does not get relegated
>gets awarded with a higher draft pick

I am ashamed to be an American.
>>
>>66769246
literally every sports league in the United States, you should be ashamed of much more important things than our sports
>>
>>66761800
Does anyone actually watch MLS?
>>
>>66771995
see
>>66742515

>MLS was the 8th highest attended soccer league in the world in 2015
>>
>>66761800
It's really not that hard to understand Joachim. The season is like a regular league season in a yuro league minus 4-5 games from the usual 38 and the winner gets the Supporters Shield but not crowned league champion. The "post season" is basically a Cup tournament knockout where you have 16 teams (iirc) face each other in 2 legs home and away like the Champions league. The winner of the post season or playoffs is the league champion.

It's just a little different from yurocuck leagues in that we use the cup tournament format at the end the playoffs to determine the winner and the regular season as a supplementary trophy while for you it's vice versa
>>
>>66762084
But the 4th of July is midseason
>>
as an American, MLS is a joke. Don't encourage hipsters.
>>
>>66762175
>implying anyone cares for NASL

>>66776399
>MLS average attendance 21,574
>NHL average attendance 17,455
>NBA average attendance 17,407
>>
>>66776766
>34 games vs 82 games
>arenas vs stadiums
Shocking
>>
post season is shit, the Supporters Shield should be the real goal
>>
>>66777451
No and no
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.