[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Realistically what would happen to the NFL if more people start
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: nfl.jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
nfl.jpg
24 KB, 400x400
Realistically what would happen to the NFL if more people start pulling their kids out of football because of concussions?

Would soccer become more popular (or baseball/basketball/hockey/etc.)? Would the league die?
>>
>>66714213
obviously it would die if nobody is playing it. basketball and hockey would still dominate fall/winter. soccer and baseball would be summer
>>
>>66714245
Could u imagine what baseball players payroll would be if the NFL went away and all that money went to baseball. Player payroll would be fucking insane
>>
Currently 1 out of 1000000 make the NFL.
Then: 1 out of 100000 make the NFL.

Not much world change. Players from 120 colleges enter the league every year, they have plenty to spare.
>>
Poor people won't care
It's not like it's any worse for you than mining coal
>>
>>66714261
theres not really a huge crossover with football and baseball
>>
>>66714213
Not to get all /pol/ on you, but it's only white people who can afford to do this.

You really think a poor black family, who made $18k last year, is gonna be like, "My son could make millions, but we're gonna transfer him to the theater department because he might bump his head?"

Naw. As long as someone gettin' rich, this sport will go on.
>>
>>66714213
>Realistically what would happen to the NFL if more people start pulling their kids out of football because of concussions?
The quality of play might drop but for every person that drops out of football there are probably 10 more that would happily take their spot, especially in the south where school football is completely dominant, or on a professional roster where people will gladly sacrifice their livelihood for a chance to play

the stranglehold the NFL has on american culture is pretty ridiculous
>>
>>66714213
> Would soccer become more popular

Ass Foot will never take off in America. the country has two B-Balls, Puck stick and Redneck Cars to fall back on... honestly all better options.
>>
The NFL would rename their sport to American Rugby, which is what it should be called.

Also, they'd ditch the padding
>>
>>66714791

Also, they'd learn to tackle like pussies, and not embrace the gladiator mentality of destroying their bodies for blood sport. Then they'd start whining about all the purely cosmetic injuries that Rugby is only capable of producing.
>>
File: 1395716597462.jpg (4 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
1395716597462.jpg
4 KB, 201x251
>>66714362
Malcolm Gladwell made this point pretty much, too, and furthered it by saying it's like the armed forces: poor people and uneducated people will still go into it, but those who don't have to, won't. Kind of a dick thing to say, I thought, but not totally untrue.
>>
>>66714213
Poor blacks, white trash, etc. would still let their kids play on the off chance they could reach the NFL, make it big for a few years, and get out.

In other words maybe not much different from how it is now. Though there would likely be less upper middle class and above kids who wouldn't get into football as a sport or job but would filter into other sports.

However, youth programs could cease if not due to lack of enrollment then due to legislation. Though plenty of places would fight it, someday I can see you needing to be 15, at least, to start football.

Alternatively, youth athletic associations would begin to enforce more tackle rules and encourage proper technique if not worse (a change to glorified flag football). For this you need to get everyone aboard and change football culture.

Naturally, the talent level in the NFL would be be hurt with all the above. But I can't see football or the NFL simply dying. It would just change maybe greatly.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.