[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>tfw Cricket Does any other sport even come close as a spectator
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7
File: asdasda.jpg (30 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
asdasda.jpg
30 KB, 460x276
>tfw Cricket

Does any other sport even come close as a spectator experience?

>comfy as fuck
>get to take a picnic and have a nice pint in the sun
>absolutely based Blowers and Aggers on Test Match Special
>gorgeous little village/town ovals
>even in urban areas it's a nice big piece of greenery
>England/Australia top banter every couple of years
>various meme formats for a laugh
>>
File: windies.png (2 MB, 904x1088) Image search: [Google]
windies.png
2 MB, 904x1088
>>
So the best thing about cricket is everything except what's happening on the pitch? Got ya
>>
>>66594167
>Does any other sport even come close as a spectator experience?
No.
>>
>>66594167
On my island, we have a two day public holiday in the summer devoted to cricket. It's always on a Thursday and Friday so everybody gets a 4 day weekend.

The east side of the island (St. George's) plays the west side (Somerset). Always a huge piss up. Giant tents for Crown and Anchor so you can go lose your money but they give you free beers. There are also a ton of food vendors around serving up fresh fried fish, barbecue, chicken, whatever else.

Incredible time. It's just hot as fuck here for it because its in July/August.
>>
>>66596718
Sounds like fucking Paradise
>>
>>66596718
Hey, I'm gonna be in the proximity of a few Bermudians next month.
It's a long shot, but you don't know anything about Pilot Gig Rowing, by any chance?
>>
I like cricket bit it honestly seems absolutely terrible to go to.

>no matter where you sit you are very far from the action
>if you want to watch the whole thing you have to set aside an entire day or even multiple days, except for t20
>can't even keep any balls you might catch, and they very rarely reach the stands anyway especially in not t20
>a lot of inaction time between every ball that could be spent doing something else if you were just watching from home
>>
>>66596991
Only know that we have some people on island who do it. I think they train out in St. George's actually. Are they going to a competition out in the UK?
>>
>>66594167
>beautiful green field
>comfy
>pints and good and comfy food
>enjoy game in the sun
>tfw baseball is back

Honestly can understand why you like cricket even though I don't understand it
>>
I don't care to mince sports, but I will argue that baseball provides the best spectator experience.

>can go to your home ballpark up to 81 times a year, and that's just the regular season
>not expensive
>can catch a home run and take it home
>can see/meet players before game
>ballpark food
>day drinking
>>
>>66597004
Don't think you really understand it desu. It's the best to go to, by far.

>no matter where you sit you are very far from the action
Not true, especially on grass-banked fields when you just sit by the rope. It looks far on TV but it's not in reality, you can see everything. You also get to chat with the guys on the boundary at certain games.

>if you want to watch the whole thing you have to set aside an entire day or even multiple days, except for t20
No one actually watches whole test matches. I don't think I've ever watched a whole 5-dayer in my life. It's not a game that you're supposed to watch the whole time, often people just buy a day ticket or show up when they feel like it. The cool thing about test cricket is that you can watch it for an hour or so, do other shit, come back and it's the same game. It's a bit difficult to fully grasp the appeal if you haven't grown up with it but I think it's awesome, I love watching like the first hour of the english games from 10-11pm and then waking up to see what happened the rest of the day.

>a lot of inaction time between every ball that could be spent doing something else if you were just watching from home
I often have it on in the background whilst doing other things like study. If it gets particularly riveting I'll pay more attention but often it's just great background noise. As for actual games, I often take a couple of books or some notes to study, especially to the ones that are free entry.
>>
>>66594167
Cricket seems cool, but i prefer baseball.
>>
>>66597289
I've been to baseball games and no matter where you sit you can see well, but it's not the same as being up close to the action in a seat behind the plate or dugouts, or in a sideline seat in any other sport.

Doubt I'll ever be able to get into test cricket desu
>>
>>66597276
Our local cricket games are all free or are donation entry. Though at those games generally there aren't many stands open except coffee and basic food so you can't drink. Test cricket is the best because generally a city only has one test a year and pretty much every cricket fan attempts to go to it for a day, so it's packed out and has awesome atmosphere. If they played 81 games I don't think anyone would show up and it wouldn't be the same. It has literally everything you listed except the keeping balls bit.

And honestly, grass banks are better than stands. Pretty much always. Don't think any american grounds do grass, you'll never know the comfy
>>
>>66597369
>Doubt I'll ever be able to get into test cricket desu
Honestly, it depends how much of a nerd you are.

Things like swing bowling and leg spin and cover drives and 7-2 fields and day 5 pitches are seriously fascinating to nerds and seriously boring to normies. T20 is faster but you don't get any of that shit, it's all big smashing and lame full tosses. Very little of the subtlety and art I love in cricket, so I don't really like it.
>>
>>66597063
Starting on the 29th of April, they'll be over here at the world championships on the Isles of Scilly. It's a pretty niche sport, so I think people are pretty excited seeing it expand to people like you guys. I mean, for hundreds of years the only competition came from within Cornwall, and since the 90s the sport has spread across the south-west of England. But these days it seems like international clubs are springing up all over, and in the unlikeliest of places. This year I'm pretty sure there are crews coming over from Holland, Ireland, Wales, the USA, France, and now Barbados. I know this is important to no one here, but hey, it's the sports board and I'm talking sports. This kind of shit just interests me, I guess.
>>
>>66597398
Most spring training parks, in Arizona at least, have some grass banks in the outfield
Often filled with little brats running around though
Also spring training is just a month long

>>66597423
All my nerdness just goes into baseball
>>
>>66597463
Ah, I'd bet quite a few minor league ballparks have similar grass banks. Can't say I've watched much minor league ball
>>
>>66597289
>No one actually watches whole test matches. I don't think I've ever watched a whole 5-dayer in my life.
Daniel please
>>
Baseball/cricket master race topic.
Faggot millennials can't appreciate a cerebral game not filled with non-stop amazing frantic bullshit.
>>
>>66597424
>and now Barbados

*Bermuda

KEK, sorry mate.
>>
>>66594167
I not a complete fanatic of either, but for some reason I find cricket more relaxing and enjoyable to watch/listen to than baseball. paradoxically it feels like there's more action in cricket too, or at least more constant action (minus teatimes). more balls pitched as well? anyway cricket is definitely a chill sport, would love to attend a game and picnic with the parents some day.
>>
File: 1458080544268.jpg (329 KB, 798x588) Image search: [Google]
1458080544268.jpg
329 KB, 798x588
>cricket is so boring spectators will do anything but watch it
>>
>>66594167
>smelly as fuck
>get to poo in the sun while fielding
>based slum boys and lepers test match special
>gorgeous slums
>india and pakistan banter every year
>forced to adopt meme formats and dilute the game to pander to people that dont care about cricket
>>
>>66596718

Isn't Bermuda really small? Like a couple of miles across and all the way out in the Atlantic?
>>
Everytime someone tries to make baseball or cricket sound fun, they talk about everything except the actual game.
>muh comfy
>>
>>66598185

I too find cricket more interesting than baseball. Arguably, cricket and baseball are equally complex in the bowling/pitching department. However, what gives cricket more depth than baseball is the batting and fielding aspects of the sport. The flat bat and circular field provides a batter with so many options as to where drive the ball and fielding positions may vary depending on who's batting, who's bowling, etc.

T20 has 20 overs. It's shorter and a faster game. But like >>66597423 says, it's devoid of the most interesting part of cricket. ODI (50 overs) and test matches are much longer and moderately paced where you can fully appreciate the sport and provides a chill atmosphere for most part. An ODI can last 6 hours or more.
>>
>>66597004
>>can't even keep any balls you might catch

dumb American

the condition of the ball is actually relevant to the game
>>
>>66597289
>I love watching like the first hour of the english games from 10-11pm

>I'm not Daniel I swear
>>
>>66598185
Average baseball game has about 300 pitches. T20, which takes about the same time, has about 240. Also in cricket ball is dead between deliveries always, in baseball it's not if there's baserunners
I guess it could feel like cricket has more action because most balls are hit somewhere, whereas in baseball most end up in the catcher's mitt. Also obviously a lot more scoring in cricket

Both sports are great though desu
>>
>>66598185
>would love to attend a game and picnic with the parents some day.

Please watch our sport.

Only international cricket I would travel oversees for is the Ashes. The only pro cricket in the USA that I'm aware of is that the CPL are playing some games in Florida. But I wouldn't travel interstate to watch some BBC's play slog.
>>
>>66598185
For me baseball is just a bit uptight, I can't get over how seriously the players take it. And the fucking around between pitches is ridiculous. In cricket it's generally for the bowler to walk back to the top of his run and the captain to maybe change his field, in baseball they literally have multiple practice swings and fuck around for so much every single pitch.
>>
It is pretty comfy 2bh. Would be better if white people played more than curries though
>>
Cricket
>>
>tfw sitting in the sun with a crate of beer watching the cricket with m8s
Perfect tbqh
>>
>>66594392

The Lord's pavilion is literally and unironically the most based stand in all sports.
>>
>>66596718

I was there for it in 2011. It was fucking based.
>>
>>66605409
How much does a seat cost?
>>
>>66596718
Sounds fucking awesome.
>>
>>66594392
>his sport's home isn't a listed building
why even live other sports
>>
>>66603382
I don't mind the actual indians but the expats are the reason why cricket won't ever pick up in places like the US. They're all cunts who won't let any white people play and generally make cricket seem really unappealing
>>
>>66597289
DANIELPOSTING
A
N
I
E
L
P
O
S
T
I
N
G
>>
>>66605647
Daniel's gone m8, he's too busy playing cricket with his normie friends
>>
>>66605652
>making excel documents to score
>unironically counting balls faced while scoring
not sure he's any kind of normie family
>>
>>66598223
the appeal is that the game lasts so long and requires unbelievable concentration and watertight technique, but one small passage of play can affect 5 days worth of sport. no other sport can come close to recreating a bowler ripping through a batting card, it's awesome to watch
>>
>>66605659
Didn't say he was a normie m8

Let's not forget

>recording maidens
>having maidens at all in fun cricket
>actually bowling counted overs
>batting partners & partnerships
>>
I agree with OP. Not just it is comfy as fuck, you get to shit on the streets on the way to the field!

Are the other sports even trying?
>>
Not trying to meme here lads, but luckswing is a better spectator sport than T20. I just don't like how T20 is about craming in as much as possible, as fast as possible

ODI > Test >Boreball >T20.
>>
>>66605931
>ODI >

I was taking you seriously right up until here
>>
Test>t20=Baseball>ODI
>>
>>66606021
I'm not making a reflection on the format of the game or taking into account watching from home but actually at the game. Its long enough to spend a great day with m8's, and self contained with a result

A day at an ODI is better than watching the windies or poo peeland struggle to bat for 80 overs.
>>
>>66606044

Okay I see where you are coming from

But would you not prefer t20 just because there is a far higher probability of a "close" game?

I agree that a great ODI is far better than any T20. But only two games in the entire World Cup fit that criteria, whereas there were lots of good games in the World T20.
>>
File: straya cunt.jpg (50 KB, 477x477) Image search: [Google]
straya cunt.jpg
50 KB, 477x477
>all these STRAYANS talking about the best way to shit on streets
>>
>>66605931
Test>>>>>ODI>>>T20=Rounders
>>
International Test Cricket is literally and unironically the single greatest measure of a man's sporting ability and character on the face of the Earth.
>>
>>66606180
Lions Tour>Ashes>World's Strongest Man
GOAT sporting events
>>
>>66606026
I somewhat agree with this lad.
>>
>>66606199
>Lions Tour>Ashes

Loins tour is good but its the other way around
>>
>>66596718
>you'll never be this comfy

Why live?
>>
>>66596718
Dude this sounds like paradise
>>
>>66606199
The fuck is lions tour
>>
Would love to go watch more cricket but have no friends who are into it and half the fun is chatting to your mates while you're there.
>>
>>66597289
FUCK
OFF
DANIEL
>>
>>66606445
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_and_Irish_Lions
>>
File: asdas.png (372 KB, 715x455) Image search: [Google]
asdas.png
372 KB, 715x455
>>66596718

As a British citizen, what are the rules on moving Overseas Territories/Crown Dependencies?

I've heard anecdotes that it's actually easier to move to other EU nations than it is to move to the Falklands/St Helena/Turks & Caicos etc
>>
>>66606558

>British citizen
>cant live in British territories

Do you lads JUST cuck yourselves for the laffs these days?
>>
>>66606449
that's why I shitpost in /cric/ while watching, I watch footie with the lads but nobody wants to watch cricket so i'm stuck with bogans and daniel
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.