[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question /sp/ I'm 21 years old. I'm just now getting
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: index-1.jpg (6 KB, 274x184) Image search: [Google]
index-1.jpg
6 KB, 274x184
Question /sp/

I'm 21 years old. I'm just now getting into soccer. Is it too late for me to learn to play?

I'm pretty athletic and very competitive.
>>
No. You just won't be very good for a long time.
>>
You're late to football and any other sport, not like it matters.
>>
Just understanding the basic rules should take you 5-9 years depending on how fast of a learner you are. After that maybe you can qualify for a football playing exam but the passing rate is very low.
>>
well you'll never be good at it even at local amateur level. but you can still play with friends.
>>
>>66592890

Definitely not, I'm 24 and I played 7-a-side the other day with mates. First time I've played football in about 10 years. And it was fucking awesome

Also I don't know about America but over here, football is one of the biggest sports for casual / amateur participation. So yeah, find a local football centre or pub league or whatever, and get involved.

Half of football is fitness and strength anyway, so if you've got that down, it won't take long to pick up technical skill.
>>
The rules are simple, whether you have the motor skills is an individual thing we can't judge. If you do and practice hard there's no reason you couldn't get into a local Sunday league side (if such a thing exists in your area).
>>
>>66592890

Nah, just pull a Vardy la
>>
>>66592890
Good luck finding a pick-up game that isn't Mexicans
>>
Vardy only started playing football at 21 so you've got every chance if you work hard and keep focused.
>>
>>66592890
Nah you can play. Youll never be any good but you can play
>>
>>66593390
not completely sure if bait but there's a huge fuken difference between getting your first professional contract at 21 and start to play the sport at 21.
>>
>>66593607
Its not bait. I'm not talking about becoming pro. Just good enough to hold my own in local leagues and stuff.
>>
>>66592890
You will never be good, but it doens't hurt to try
>>
>>66593001
The second time a Swede has ever made me laugh

The first was when I was in a lift with Sven-Goran Eriksson. Funny guy. I showed him naked pics of my ex. He loved it
>>
You can play. How good, that depends on your talent.

No chance however you will get nearly as good as anyone who's played since a young age. Technical abilities, for instance, should be "mastered" at 14: Passing, Crossing, Shooting, dribbling, receiving etc.

No reason you can't try and have lots of fun tho. If you have talent and good ball control, i.e. from playing other sports, you might become quite good.
>>
depends
how's your coordination, vision, body control etc.? have you played team sports before? do you have 8-10 hours a week to train?

if yes, maybe in a couple of years you could be decent

>>66593019
don't forget we're talking about AMerican local amateur level, not Brazilian or European
he could handle it fine
>>
>>66592890
No its really easy. All you have to do is kick a ball.
>>
>>66592890
I'd say playing FIFA will be your best chance of learning the game quickly. You'll learn the basics quick and then some. You're not too old though, I'd think with soccer being a growing sport in America that there will be people just like you who are starting out. Look for some amateur leagues or try futsal.
>>
>>66592890
if your question isn't if you can still become a pro the answer is no.
if you want to play casually sure
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.