[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's stopping soccer from becoming popular in the US?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3
File: randle.jpg (533 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
randle.jpg
533 KB, 1280x720
How many years does it take until it joins the NFL, NBA, NHL and MLB as a premier sport?
>>
>>66558503
It's about as Niche as the NHL tbqh. It'll be more popular if a report comes out about brain damage and "Muh kids" makes parents put their kids through soccer and totally soccer-parent their way through it.
>>
>>66558503
Because american football and basketball are more interesting than football.
>>
>>66558503
American kids play too many sports

>MUH 3 Sport athlete.

We don;t focus on one, we should.
>>
baseball
>>
With no relegation or promotion, with a draft and salary cap.

MLS will never be more relevant than say, the Bolivian Division 1
>>
FIGHT AND WIN
>>
Because "11" minutes of action is "11" times better than "11" soccer games combined
>>
>>66558503
It never will
>>
>>66558503
when they get good.

>americans favouring a sport they cant win
>>
MLS already has higher attendance numbers than NHL and NBA. It's the low TV ratings that holds it back. As the U.S. becomes less white....which it already is becomming, MLS ratings will go up as a result. MLB is already becoming a regional sport as TV coverage has gone to the regional model. The NHL has never been more than a regional sport. The NFL will remain king of the American market, likely forever. But it is not unreasonable to see MLS as the third major sport in the U.S. after the NFL and NBA when considering attendance and TV by 2030.

Hating on MLS is a tired meme. It's here to stay and will only get more pervasive with time.
>>
>>66572974
>Ratings will go up as more immigrants show up

Except the foreigners already in the USA don't watch MLS. They stick with Lel Liga for their Messi/Ronaldo shit or they watch the leagues of their home countries.
>>
>>66572974
>by 2030

the delusion here is absolutely insane. maybe by 2130
>>
File: 1436898567605.jpg (57 KB, 550x608) Image search: [Google]
1436898567605.jpg
57 KB, 550x608
>>66558503
soccer will never be popular in the states. get over it.

if we didn't make it, we ain't gonna support it. at least not like turn left, nfl, ape hoop, and boreball. soccer will never top these. hockey is niche, but people still prefer it over soccer
>>
MLS, an awful product.
>>
>>66558503
Way too many other sports to compete with that are just far more interesting to watch. I'm sorry but when 1-1 is one of the most common scores no one gives a shit...

The only way id watch it is if there were no other sports but turn left
>>
>>66566032
but even if we focused on one, it sure as hell wouldn't be soccer and it would still be irrelevant.
>>
>>66572974
>MLS already has higher attendance numbers than NHL and NBA.

MLSers spout this meme constantly and it's so blatantly false both in a literal and figurative sense (participation is more important than attendance and the other two sports smash MLS twentyfold in viewership)
>>
>>66575299
You're an idiot. In 20 years soccer will be the number one american sport like it is worldwide. The gen of 90s kids raised in that shit will have birthed another gen of kids raised in it. Also nfl will be outlawed (not saying that's fair though)
>>
>>66578374
MLS delusion really knows no bounds. It won't even be the #1 American sport in 120 years.
>>
>>66564370
Because american football and basketball are more interesting than MLS
>>
>>66578374
>this delusion
>>
no culture for it

kids play pickup games for other sports, not soccer

its the same thing here
>>
File: 1457145632460.jpg (37 KB, 400x516) Image search: [Google]
1457145632460.jpg
37 KB, 400x516
>>66578374
nice b8.
>>
>>66578864
Aussie knows.
>>
>>66578585

can you prove me wrong?
>>
>>66572974
>2030
You had a shit post before you said that. But now that you said that, the whole thing deserves to go in the trash.
>>
>>66579817
the onus isn't on him to prove you wrong, he's not the one making the claim.
>>
>>66578374
>>66579817
>can you prove me wrong
No because I can't fucking see the future. However, based on the fact I am not a fucking retard I can tell you that more than likely you are wrong. The fact of the matter is that soccer is a fucking bandwagon sport with no real fans. Ever gone to a bar for a Team USA game? It is full of people who are only pretending they know anything about soccer. 80% of """""""""fans"""""""""" couldn't tell you the positions of the players on the field besides the goalie. Just like how 66% of hockey """"""fans""""""" couldn't tell you what offsides is.
>>
>>66558503
>what's stopping the MLS from becoming popular

Not trying to make this /pol/, but in the 1970s/80s it was actually Donald Trump. He ran the NASL into the ground.

In 2016, nothing is stopping it. The TV deals continue to grow (while the NHL's stagnate), and it will keep growing until no one's even mad.
>>
>>66579817
>har har i am superior
You can't prove a negative.

Soccer is growing in popularity and the NFL is currently under investigation for hiding know brain damage to players. If you think the America of 2036 will be identical to 2016, you're a goddamn Republican.
>>
ITT: people who have never played soccer
>>
a lot of it comes down to the fact that the US isn't good at it
>>
>>66580213
That is because most people like being popular and well liked. Being a soccer player gets you zero pussy in high school.
>>
>>66580165
and thanks to liberals there won't even be a America in 2036.
>>
Why does the meme persist that the US isn't a "soccer nation?"

Soccer is greatly popular here, among women and children, as it should be in any first world country.
>>
>>66580213
don't be ridiculous we were all 7 years old at one point, which is the only age people unironically play it here.
>>
>>66580213

I've played soccer more than anyone in this thread and I can guarantee you soccer will be big in the US in the next 5 years

NFL is dead
>>
>NHL
probably in 10 years
>MLB
probably in 20
>NFL
whenever the concussion issue sinks the league
>NBA
never
>>
>>66572974
MLS also play in larger stadiums than basketball and football. It's not really fair to compare raw attendance numbers like that
>>
>>66580125
trump had nothing to do with the NASL you retard. go fellate bernie or something.

you're thinking of the USFL where he owned one team
>>
>>66580943
MLS will not pass baseball. I don't care how many boomers die off.

Hockey probably and that's it.
>>
MLS has a higher average attendance than NHL and NBA already.

I think they play in much larger stadiums though? And tickets are probably cheaper...but anyway it shows that people are watching soccer.

However, the NBA, NFL, NHL, are all the top level of sports for their game. The MLS isn't, and it never will unless Bernie gets elected and uses Wall Streets tax money to pay to bring soccer players here.
>>
>>66581042
>MLS has a higher average attendance than NHL and NBA already.

stop parroting this dead and patently untrue meme as though anyone else will believe it. Even if it was true, and lets say the average attendance per game was ~500 better than an NBA game, there are literally TENS of millions more NBA viewers at home than MLS. And that is what drives money.

Notice how all this big cap increases in the MLB and NBA are tied to TV deals? No one gives a shit if the Timbers have 30 more people show up than a Blazers game when the actual viewership is 100x less.
>>
We already had peak soccer in America during the Landon Donovan era. That was the group that played soccer leagues as kids. Yeah soccer is technically growing, but that was its peak in terms of cultural impact.

Overall passion for sport in the US is falling as it becomes more commercialized. Now it is being kept afloat by the huge gambling industry. We've seen this cycle before with boxing. Once it became solely about gambling, it's popularity nosedived.

There is absolutely 0 passion for MLS. It is entirely commercialized. There is no incentive for anyone to care about it and no history behind it to keep it afloat. It'll remain a niche league for hipsters.
>>
>>66581101
I never looked deeper than Google for those stats sorry...

I wasn't trying to prove that MLS getting more physical bodies at events is the be all end all proof that it's very popular. I was just pointing out that a fair amount of people go to games.

I agree with the TV viewer thing. You can tell no one watches MLS because the game I was watching last night was terrible in production quality.
>>
>>66581042
>$5 tickets
>40 games a season as opposed to more than 100 NBA games for each team
>basketball stadiums hold 20k people at most
>>
>>66581042
How many people know who Lebron is?
How many people know who the best MLS player is?
>>
>>66581205
David Beckham? A lot.
>>
>>66581185
I already added those counter points to my post..
>>
>>66581231
David Beckham ain't in the MLS anymore
>>
> What's stopping soccer from becoming popular in the US?

Not being able to run burger/tacos/pizza commercials every 2 minutes.
>>
>>66581292
Landon Donovan
>>
>>66581296

but latin america already has that figured out

>TIRO TIRO TIRO
>(short ad about furniture)
>POR QUE NO TIRO
>>
>>66581307
neither is he
>>
>>66581357
Well my point still stands.
>>
>>66580835
>>66580331
This is the only legit answers in this thread.

Its a game for children and poor people. I played it for 8 years.

And then I grew up.
>>
Hope solo made soccer pipuls for a while
>>
>>66558503

I guess they like to get brain damage

>brain damage from being bored watching baseball
>brain damage from spending time with tall dumb niggers
>brain damage from using your body as a wrecking ball in handegg and hockey
>>
that keith olberman bit when he blamed MLS for pandering to cringy euraboos rather than try and be like a normal american sport.

Half the teams are called football clubs and that just confuses normies
>>
>>66572974
MLB is regional because if you care about your team watching 170 games a year is a fucking lot.

In 1930 there were only 10 teams so people had to follow the dodgers or red sox rather than they local team
>>
>>66580991
yeah you have to be rich as fuck to play hockey but any poorfag kid can go to their minor league soccer game and play just like the pros do
>>
>>66581231

the average person can't name more than 2 MLS teams, their hometown team and the galaxy

meanwhile most people can name off all the nba teams no problem
>>
it panders to hipsters by pretending to be European

no relegation system

terrible quality of play
>>
>>66581748
come on bro people forget about the grizzlies and hornets, they still remember more nba teams though
>>
>>66581792
>relegate chicago
>bakersfield FC promoted
league dies to to lack of tv $

play is getting better and salary cap is on the rise unlike the NHL
>>
>>66580945
>ignoring the fact that there are 82 games per season in th NBA compared to 34 games in MLS. >Average arena in NBA seats 20K. Average MLS stadium seats 23K. NBA has more than twice as many games with nearly the same seating as MLS. Yet it trails MLS by over 2000 fans per game.

Math is a bitch isn't it?
>>
>>66578374
I played soccer in high school because I sucked at every other sport. That's the case for most kids who play soccer in the states. Or the parents are worried about little jimmy getting hurt.

Again, soccer will never be huge because we have too many sports ingrained in our culture that are 1000x more interesting to watch than soccer. When more people care to watch the NFL combine or even fucking HS basketball games than soccer, you know it doesn't have a chance. Stop trying to push that gay shit on us, world.
>>
>>66558503
infinity, soccer is a communist sport
>>
>>66558503
Soccer is stopping soccer from being popular.

It is THE faggiest team "sport" ever.

Run around....kick a ball....be careful not make too much contact or you'll get a penalty.....fucking pathetic.

Soccer is for faggots, women, and children.
>>
Bunch of slack jawed phaggots itt, can't we just enjoy all sports?
>>
>>66585595
Nothing to enjoy about soccer
>>
>>66585620

>confirmed for never watching the sport
>>
>>66580074
or how 86% of statistics are made up on the spot
>>
>>66558503
it's a fag sport
>>
Soccer is viewed as a kid's/girl's sport in the US. Once you get to high school you play literally anything else.
>>
>>66585930

Literally wrong, soccer is probably the third most popular sport where I live, and for good reason to

>It's exciting
>It's fast paced
>It's devoid of diveball like euro ball
>>
>>66587448
>exciting
Up in Warwick, NY thinks cross country is thrilling and exciting yet you don't here people screaming about it. Btw track meets in Warwick are pretty fucking sweet
>>
>>66587448
>and for good reason to

You don't live anywhere relevant like this guy >>66587756
Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.