[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've never watched sports, but I want to get into motorsports.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3
File: dw12.jpg (250 KB, 1000x667) Image search: [Google]
dw12.jpg
250 KB, 1000x667
I've never watched sports, but I want to get into motorsports. Should I start with NASCAR, Formula 1, IndyCar, WEC, or WRC?
>>
Well this seasons opener for F1 has been fantastic so I would start there
>>
>>66295032

F1, Indy, and Nascar, since they are easier to follow then WEC or WRC and you won't get as frustrated.

Really though just put a good effort into following F1 to start with to get used to how everything works; and watch some historic races, read about it, etc. to get a full feel.
>>
>>66295032
Just watch everything. Sooner or later you find something you like
>>
F1, Moto GP, Indy, Le Mans, WRC
I don't care for nascar at all but you might
>>
>>66295146

this, I am primarily a Nascar fan but I love all forms of motorsport

the fighting and supremacy of one motorsport over another needs to stop here and on other forums
>>
>>66295032
I just started watching F1 yesterday

fucking great fun so far

I'm sure HAMROSVET will eventually drain me of that
>>
>>66295106
>easier to follow then WEC or WRC
Not OP but what do you mean by this, the lack of widespread available coverage compared to the others?
>>
>>66295427
>I'm sure HAMROSVET will eventually drain me of that

Man, you would have hated how shitty it was in the 2000's

>Schumiwinslol
>>
>>66295452
It's funny reading all the whining when Hamilton wins but they suck off schumacher when that was the worst
>>
>>66295525
The 2005 USGP was a travesty, and fuck Jordan for screwing Minardi in the whole ordeal.
>>
WEC is hard to follow since the races go for a while but good to watch, especially Le Mans
>>
>>66295401
This.

Here's something else to check out...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpORZdXRGig
>>
>>66295032
watch F1 and WEC to start

F1 is pretty shit these past few years but it is still the avant guard of motor vehicle racing whether you like it or not. Otherwise WEC provides some very entertaining races especially when they encounter LE MANS and SPA. Last year nico hulkenburg (a F1 driver) won the le mans with his team on his first attempt at the race. Many consider le mans 24 hours to be the most prestigious race in all of motorsports.
>>
>>66295525
at the time though, people considered schumacher a legendary talent, people don't really see hamilton the same way so it feels a lot less deserved
>>
>>66296065
hamilton>michele
>>
Check out if the formula e full races on youtube are available in your country. The races are pretty entertaining.
>>
>>66296132
in an absolute sense, every driver is better than their predecessors, same as any other sport. only dinguses will argue otherwise, but because he isn't as dominant relative to his contemporaries there isn't the same sense that we had when schumacher was winning in that we were seeing history being made. especially after seeing the alonso & vettel years now, it doesn't feel as special - keep in mind that before schumacher repeat championships were extremely rare, let alone getting five in a row and having could have gotten seven, eight, or nine in a row with a bit more luck
>>
>>66296171

Were you even old enough to watch Schumacher dominate? I always wonder how old >HAMROSVET memers are, claiming that it was better before.

What Vettel did = hamrosvet
What Alonso did = hamrosvet

And then there was Schumi.
>>
>>66296221

oh yeah i forgot my point. everybody knew that schumacher was writing history but nobody considered that exciting.
>>
>>66296221
i guess it depends on what part of sport you get the entertainment from. nobody is arguing that it was "exciting" to see schumacher win from pole, but i still got a ton of entertainment value out of seeing that sort of dominance. like i said, it felt like history was being made, so even if it was predictable it still (to me at least) had a sort of romantic magic to it

i have thought about it actually, and i think a lot of the people who now watch formula one started watching in 2005-2012ish, which was an era uncharacteristically competitive at the front with the odd dominant car thrown in, whereas now its gone back to its sort of natural state and its sort of alienated a huge segment of the demographic

i'm 39 by the way, and the first seasons i watched that initially got me sold on f1 were just as predictable at the front as the early 2000s and now (1992&93), so maybe i'm just unrepresentatively tolerant of dominance

tbf though, about schumi, his dominance wouldn't have been as total if he wasn't as good a driver, with hamilton or vettel its debatable (or at least debated), the schumi era was coming off of hakkinen's years, which felt more similar at the time to now/alonso/vettel than it did to schumi's years
>>
WEC, WTSCC, PWC, Blancpain. Anything else that is not Sports Car Racing is, literally, nigger tier.
>>
Watch last season's MotoGP if you want real excitement
>>
>>66296221
I am, it was the best car by light years so in hindsight SWL was shit
>>
v8 supercars
>>
WRC m8. It's the most entertaining and also the patrician choice
>>
>>66295032
Rally is one of the more entertaining as they drive like maniacs through some pretty crazy terrain.

Indy is like F1 but more competitive, which means you'll see a lot of different drivers win races rather than the same 3 dudes.

NASCAR is pretty competitive, and even though the same 25% of the drivers win all the races, you never really know who it's going to be because they are just as likely to win from the pole, or starting way in the back of the field.

F1 isn't very competitive due to the fact that one team won all but like 3 races last season, and that's the way it almost always goes. The cars are fast, and sometimes you can get some decent action from the back markers, but the winner is going to be the car that starts at pole 60% of the time, or the car that starts in 2nd or 3rd if the pole doesn't win.

Motorsports is just one of those things that people either "get" or they don't, really.
>>
>>66295525
Hamilton looks, acts, and presents himself as a ghetto nigger that should be WASHING cars, not driving them.

Get rid of the ghetto culture and people would respect him the same way they did Schumi.
>>
>>66295032
Nascar is way more better than current F1.
Now F1 race is literally at the Qualification.

MotoGP or SuperBike is good start.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>66295032
If you're into the machines then get into F1. Everybody is absolutely right about it being boring as shit nowadays but the cars, strategy, technology, and logistics of the GP is really something special. Take some time to read about the crazy shit that makes an F1 car tick. If you want exciting driving though go with WRC.
>>
Just watch MotoGP
>>
All of them. Don't get involved in the stupid "which is better' bickering. There's no reason not to watch them all. You'll naturally see which you like best.
>>
Honestly if you're going to watch F1, I'd watch IndyCar first. More passing/variation. Opens you up to the prestige of F1 once you can stomach it, at first glance it's a complete bore.
>>
File: 4L_Tt41lvGH.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
4L_Tt41lvGH.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>66295032
Depends on what you think is cool. Indycar is a spec open wheel series meaning the cars use the same engines and chassis in their case honda and chevy. Formula one is more about building the best car within regulations. I would say a thinking mans racing. But there is still so much more. Personally i am an open wheel fan. I have been going to indycar races since i was 5. Pic related an indycar with it's specified wing for ovals
>>
>>66295032
>I want to get into motorsports
Can you say more about why, and what you'd want your experience of getting into motorsports to be?

Some people like the technology of a series, others the drivers, some want close racing, some want a series that they can go see live, some just want a convenient thing to watch - so depending on what you want the answer to your question can be very different.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.