[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has there ever been a soccer player that's gone from an
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (103 KB, 589x720) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
103 KB, 589x720
Has there ever been a soccer player that's gone from an elite defender to a good to elite offensive player or vice versa? The only player that comes to mind that almost fits that description is >Gerrard
>>
Bale was a FB at first, no?
>>
>>66187976
Memebauer
>>
>>66187976
About a million fullbacks started off as wingers. like the dude above said, Bale for the vice versa
>>
He's not elite, but Schlupp or whatever his name is started off a striker and is now leftback for LESTAH
>>
If you acccept Gerrard you have to accept Yaya Touré.
>>
Bale was originally a left back.
Puyol was originally either a centre forward or right winger.
>>
Cafu started as a forward
>>
Gullit
Matthaus
>>
Rio Ferdinand started out as a number 10, but I don't think you could call him elite in that role.
>>
Fernando Hierro
>>
Zé Roberto probably went back and forth from elite/good defender to elite/good offensive player multiple times during his carrer.
>>
I'm pretty new to soccer/football.

What do you consoder the most important position? Outside of goalkeeper.
>>
>>66189117
Centre forward. If you don't score you can't win.
>>
>>66187960
First of all its football you uncultured swine.

Bonucci used to be centre forward and now hes elite centre back so yeah..
Thats why his finishing skills in front of goal is striker-like
>>
>>66189117

winger
>>
>>66189164
>>66189170
What about a middle guy?
>>
>>66189117
For a shit team: Goal scoring centre forward/winger e.g. Vardy/Mahrez this season (These players will most likely be poached by bigger clubs and the small club will have to search for another gem to score goals for them)

For a team that wants to win a lot of shit (Barcelona, Real, Bayern): Defensive midfielder

There are no unimportant positions in football (like a Kicker in Am. Football which could easily be a job for another player in the team like QB or RB or some shit), but Fullback is definitely in my opinion the least important position.
>>
>>66189221
They're all important but especially the midfield and forwards, just look.at barca when busquets doesn't play
>>
>>66189221

I was just fucking with you, Mr BSA. Wingers are a meme.

"the middle guy" is pretty ambiguous, most teams have three of them all performing different roles. But yeah the creative playmaker on any team is just about the most important player.

If you actually want to learn the sport, play Football Manager. That game will force you to learn different player roles, tactics and rules.
>>
>>66187960
is pic related pls tell me shes an athlete
>>
>>66189117

Playmaker/No.10

Look at any GOAT list and it will be made up of mostly no.10s
>>
>>66189221
actually, CM is really important without Iniesta or Xavi Messi wouldn't have been the goat

so its (to me):
CM(or CAM)
GK
Striker
>>66189311
>>66189268
This... except about the Football Manager shit wtf m8
>>
>>66189304
She's an instagram whore, probably been shat on in Dubai by now
>>
Google John Charles OP

old school, but was an elite level central defender and center forward

played for Juventus for many years.
>>
>>66189117

depends on the team, but generally elite attacking players (strikers, no.10s) are the most valued

personally i'd say GK, CB, CM and ST are broadly of roughly equal importance
>>
>>66189393
William John Charles, CBE was a Welsh international footballer who played for Leeds United and Juventus. Rated by many as the greatest all-round footballer ever to come from Britain, he was equally adept at centre-forward or centre-back.
>>
>>66189246

Even for a 'shit team' like Leicester the defensive midfielder was the key to success. Kante is the main reason they are at the top of the league. Mahrez and Vardy get most of the credit because of the goals though.
>>
>>66187976
yeah, as a great man once said (some sky pundit) "fullbacks are failed centrebacks or failed wingers" then big baley proved that wrong
>>
Matthäus started as an AM and played as a sweeper later in his career
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 960x649) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 960x649
>>66189117
Nr. 10 / CAM
>>
cruyff was an elite player in defence midfield and attack all in the same game
>>
Pirlo started out as a trequartista

>>66192971
this guy gets it
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_Crane
>>
>>66187960
Lots of players uses to be able to play striker and centre back, you don't see it much anymore though
>>
>>66187976
He wasn't an elite defender though.
Liberos of old were supposed to be that.
I guess someone like Hierro had top seasons as center back as well as a midfielder, I think he scored 22 goals once.
>>
>>66189393
Came here to post this. Charles was voted the best foreign player ever at Juve, too.
>>
drogba
>>
>>66189246
>like a Kicker in Am. Football which could easily be a job for another player in the team like QB or RB or some shit

>this flag
>this subject

Stick to what you know
>>
Pirlo started as a trequartista/n10
>>
Van Nistelrooy started as a CB.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.