[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
so what's it like for Euros to never have any real connection
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8
File: 6_3764585.jpg (64 KB, 620x320) Image search: [Google]
6_3764585.jpg
64 KB, 620x320
so what's it like for Euros to never have any real connection to their "team" and in turn never be able to show real passion? How does it feel to never have watched a game inside a stadium with over 100,000 screaming fans? A lot of us went to schools that have enormous sports programs with teams that play in a league that rivals many of the professional leagues around the World. We have a personal connection because we went to the school and the athletes are our peers. For Euros it seems that you just pick a team because of your proximity to a stadium and then you cheer for these mostly foreign players that you'll never know or be able to relate to on any personal level. Is there any envy or have you been "supporting" for so long that you've become ok with having no real connection to the team and players you worship?
>>
do other americans agree?
>>
mi dad took mi 2 game wen i woz 6 n i prefer cheer of foreign playter than blacks dominate of hte sport :)!
>>
>>66178347
>school sports
>>
Can OP be more of a faggot
>>
>>66178347
>we went to the school

duke/ohio state/alabama alum here
>>
>>66178347
i understand where euros are coming from if they support lower league teams, but i honestly chuckle to myself when fans of big clubs make fun of americans for lacking a connection. I fucking lived, ate and hung out with players on my college's team regularly. Those faggots have severely limited access to foreign millionaire mercenaries.
>>
>>66178516
Lets hope not. All those schools suck.

But regardless
>i paid to be a part of this
>>
>>66178347
Aren't most colleges who have good teams garbage schools in general?
>>
>getting excited about watching future accountants play sports poorly

lmao
>>
>>66178347
>connection to the team and players you worship
>worship

fucking beta

Congratulations for being able to park your fat ass onto a bench with 100,000 other people, you must be so proud of other people's accomplishments that you could never reach even if you tried.
>>
Is diz nigga serious?
>>
>>66178347
2/10
>>
File: athlete.jpg (112 KB, 634x462) Image search: [Google]
athlete.jpg
112 KB, 634x462
Yuros always go with >amateur sports, but if you think about it, its the same thing as playing in the shitty teams of the lower leagues. The Heisman candidates and Wooden watch players are just as important in their respective sports as when Neymar was with Santos or Ronaldo at Sporting. Because they're just waiting for the big splash move, to move to united and barcelona, as top prospects await to be drafted to the lakers and the giants.

Also, college teams can never be relocated, which is something yuroshits also argue. There is always backlash when a college's team schedule is threatened like when UAB canceled football, OSU sat out the postseason or Missouri vowed not to play because protests. Towns like these revolve around college sports. Its a holiday when these teams play in places like Tuscaloosa or Clemson.

Last thing, they're obsessed with 'you're rewarded for being bad'. That may be true in some pro sports, but not in college. There's something on the line when you play your rival on the final weekend, or vying for a conference title even though you're nowhere near the college football playoffs. Winning the Ivy League tournament for Yale this year is huge, and they get a ticket to the dance. Being bad means losing out on money, prospects, attendance for the school overall, boosters and postseason invitations.

I love college. Best decision I ever made.
>>
>>66178347
What is Camp Nou?
What is Wembley Stadium?
What is Westfalenstadion?
>>
>>66178347
>never show real passion
You will literally get banned from any American stadium for having tifo banners or smoke or anything that shows passion.

I'm studying here at Cal from Ireland. I went to an MLelS game last season and their supporters group literally had to remove their tifo because it has the word 'slave' on it. IIRC it was a quote from the constitution lol.

Then i went to an MLB game. The SF giants. For a packed stadium there was NOTHING in terms of atmosphere, just people wearing overpriced jerseys and half assedly going "whooo!" and clapping when something good happened. Absolutely pathetic, and this is the team that had just won the WORLD SERIES.

Your "passion " is just 100k people showing up in jerseys and hollering. Your sports have no history, no identity, thus the lack of songs, organized supporter groups, etc. I truly don't get how you can compare literally any American sports event to something like this, which happens at every major football event
https://youtu.be/f4ipvQ87lKE
>>
>>66178778
BVB has the most overrated atmosphere in the League now with all the bandwagoners
>>
>>66178823
Yeah well at least they're putting in time and effort (for no compensation other than passion) to organize all that. Passion at every American sport game I've been to (mlb, nba, ncaa, mls), the "fan culture" is literally just buying a jersey and cheering for the team when they do well and fucking off to buy beer when they aren't. I haven't been to nfl game yet, maybe it's different
>>
>>66178347
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFlhhHP3CwA

>that song that starts at ~40
That's only like 500 fans coming off a train.
>>
>>66178778
got bad news for you mate, lots of MLS teams have pyro and tifo and its completely allowed. Best off deleting your post and apologizing for being an idiot.
>>
>>66178778
>your passion is literally 100k people showing up in jerseys and hollering

Replace hollering with singing and you've got soccer
>>
>>66178957
>but clearly having choreographed displays and fireworks means you are quantifiably more passionate!

don't bother with them. they are delusional.
>>
>>66178584
>implying 95% of "student athletes" dont "graduate" with worthless degrees
>>
>>66178940
https://www.reddit.com/r/MLS/comments/3bfdsk/san_jose_ultras_patriotic_tifo_at_the_california/

this is what i was talking about
>>
>>66178957
the point is that the club has a rich history of supporters who got together to create chants that continue for decades. that's a different level of passion entirely because its rooted in history. they are an organized unit.
>>66178975
it literally does though.
>>
>le college sport meme
>Americans.jpg
>>
>>66179188
the burger is correct though that the passion of college sports fan blows that of pro teams out of the water. it doesn't make any sense, but its the truth
>>
>>66179176
>it literally does

you tried to quantify passion, I don't know why you think anyone should do anything besides discard or mock your opinion.

moreover, are you implying colleges don't have songs and chants that are generated by students and last decades? If so, best stop posting. If not, I'm not sure what point you are trying to make.
>>
>>66179205
best guesses for the discrepancy:
1) there are too many regular season pro games in every sport except football, because the leagues are profit-seeking enterprises. This dilutes the importance of any single game, especially given the presence of playoffs.
2) college sports crowds are disproportionately young and rowdy. Here, it's seen as a bit immature to be a superfan here if you have a wife and kids.
3) college has a somewhat more local element to it, whereas pros generally represent a big city
4) the more hardcore pro sports fans tend to get priced out of live tickets, which can be very expensive, especially for huge games. Again due to the profit seeking nature of the leagues.
>>
>>66179222
my point was originally to refute the OP's claim that "Euros never have any real connection to their "team" and in turn never be able to show real passion?" with my own experiences going to sports games in the US as a visitor to the country. The fact that european supporters have a connection to their club as a symbol of their hometown and show this through tradition that oftentimes dates back to a century or more speaks for itself. the mere comparison of "passion" on the part of fucking college athletics and a club that has existed in a city for hundreds of years is absurd.
>because the leagues are profit-seeking enterprises
literally all discrepancies between european clubs and american teams boil down to this. Even PSG started off as normal dudes playing football for fun at one point.
>>
>>66179324
dude, my college's football team has existed for longer than most euro clubs. I'm not sure why you think that comparison is absurd. Fact is, most people on this board who are under 25 support a top-league club that's been full of mercenaries for most of their life.
>>
>>66179366
>I'm not sure why you think that comparison is absurd.
Because i have spent significant time in both sporting cultures and it just is. If you really think any American sports event compares to that dortmund video linked here >>66178778 please let me know because i would genuinely love to see it while im still in the states
>>
>>66179441
I've spent lots of time in both and latin america as well, and I'm saying that engaging in choreographed shit doesn't mean you are more passionate. THere are hipster faggots that support 8 year old MLS teams and do choreo and pyro and tifo, and I don't think it has anything to do with them having a deeper connection to their team than I do to my college where I lived with the players and joined a genuine community that has existed for 150 years.
>>
>>66179504
the time invested in the choreographed shit for little return other than recognition from the team does speak to being more passionate. Its on a case by case basis honestly. But even a League One tier team has noticeably more vocal support than even basically any NBA team for example (in my experience). I went to a warrior's game last season and it was just pathetic, over half of the stadium were on their phones.
>>
>>66179541
NBA atmosphere (with the possible exception of the playoffs) is complete ass. Its a corporate shit fest and most of the attendees are casual. I'll absolutely agree that American sporting events have a lot more casuals and people showing up just for entertainment.
>>
>an americuck talking about connection with a team

Are you fucking serious? All your franchises are owned by rich jews, and college """"sports"""" are run by universities which leech money out of your youth. both euros and americans have no real connection with their teams

here in south america teams are run by it's own supporters, who elect its president and are allowed to use the facilities
>>
File: dalai lelma.jpg (6 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
dalai lelma.jpg
6 KB, 275x183
>>66179569
>talking about connection to a college team
>brings up franchises
>shows he doesn't understand college athletics, that typically produce a surplus for other sports, sports facilities and students
>thinks I didn't have access to my sports teams' facilities

thanks for trying, retard.
>>
>>66178778
you aren't really wrong however no one actually cares about baseball until the playoffs because there are 162 games/regular season
>>
>>66179616
this. baseball isn't meant to have intense atmosphere every game. It's not that type of game desu, and that's not part of the tradition at all.
>>
>90% of the disagreement are Americans
>/sp/ full of Euroboos and Revolutionary War apologists

f-for crown and country eh lads?
s-singing makes for the best a-atmosphere
>>
>>66179651
its one irish guy who is studying in america and thinks he's a global sports expert.
>>
>>66178778
>smoke

Fuck off, smelly
>>
>>66179666

I guess that's what Jameson and Potatoes can do to ones brain Heir Dark Lord
>>
>>66178584
You have no idea how this works do you?
>>
>>66179666
> thinks he's a global sports expert
i literally said three times that i went to matches for every big american sport besides NFL and that my opinion was based on my experiences. Fuck off.
>>
the less famous the players are, the more beta is to support a team. It seems very cuck-ish to worship a bunch of half time workers playing on a lower league just because you live near their stadium/field.
its not the same worshipping Brady or Messi than johny the plumber or billy the farmer.

same applies to College athletes.
>>
>>66179602
you do realize that college sports aren't actually serious sports, right?

also, i hope you also have that "passion" when you are working in McDonalds risking to get shot 24/7 to pay your student loans.
>>
>Americans pay more money to go to Uni so Chad can play handegg
>They actually cheer them
What a bunch of cucks
>>
>>66178347
>so what's it like for Euros to never have any real connection to their "team" and in turn never be able to show real passion?

surely this is the biggest bait ever seen on 4chan? no one can lack self-awareness THIS much
>>
>>66179541
>>66179560
I went to Heat game few years ago and even though the place was full there was absolutely no atmosphere. Same thing with baseball with the notable exception that baseball is probably the single most boring sport ever invented.

The hockey and football games I went to at least had some atmosphere. Though the hockey game was a game 7 in playoff series so that's not really a huge surprise.

>>66179820
>chad plays football really well
>chad literally does it >for free
>school takes in all the sports money
>chad's success subsidises your wife's beta son's college tuition
>not cheering for chad to do well
>>
File: bibi steinhaus.jpg (75 KB, 1024x576) Image search: [Google]
bibi steinhaus.jpg
75 KB, 1024x576
>>66179807
thanks for playing, friend
>>
>Franchises
>>
File: erection.jpg (40 KB, 460x454) Image search: [Google]
erection.jpg
40 KB, 460x454
>>66179998
>franchises
>having any relevance whatsoever in a discussion of college sports
>>
>>66178347
College sports are more akin to lower league euro football I think, I may not know many of the players personally, but the fans are my neighbours and we're all part of the same community.

This is why big club bangwagoners and foreign fans often don't get what it is to follow a team with passion.
>>
File: 1456206001226.png (660 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1456206001226.png
660 KB, 640x640
>>66178778
>Yuros need to wave little sparkly sticks to show they have """passion"""
>>
>>66180029

>American discussing sports

Literally more irrelevant.
>>
>>66180188
>sitting on your phone all game, stuffing your face and taking selfies = "passion" as long as you bought the $90 jersey like a good goyim
>>
>>66180164
this is a very fair analogy. And there's a very important characteristic that runs through big soccer clubs and american pro sport franchises.
>>
File: Untitled.png (506 KB, 850x434) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
506 KB, 850x434
>amerifranchies will never feel this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibM3d9F9sCY
>>
File: alexatheses.jpg (25 KB, 284x287) Image search: [Google]
alexatheses.jpg
25 KB, 284x287
>>66180248
>24 minutes
>>
>>66180344
>ameriADHD'S

I thought mommy picked up the ritalin from mr Shlomo's drug store already
>>
>literally watching amateurs
>>
>>66180374

>literally watching athletes 20x better than you'll ever be where the top 1% go on to the highest level
>get to seem them before they get destroyed by money
>>
>>66178347
This is the worst post i have ever read on 4chan
>>
>>66178533
S C H O O L S P O R T S

Nobodygivesashitm8.png
>>
>thinking college sports is passionate
I'm not a cuck for Euros or anything, but that idea is fucking laughable. Colleges crack the fuck down on anything going on outside of the student section that isn't the least bit tame and family friendly because it's the upper-middle class families that buy the tickets and the stodgy ultra-wealthy graduates who give the donations that keep the entire collegiate athletics scam afloat. They couldn't give less of a shit about the average fan.

And I don't the lack of that passion is necessarily a bad thing, either. There's never been an American game where, say, 40 spectators were killed after being pelted with stadium debris by opposing fans.
>>
>>66180213
>not liking a comfy environment
>burning the stadium down is "passion"
>being covered by a banner is "passion
>being crushed to death is "passion"

Do Yuros need to torture themselves in the stadiums cause their kickball sports are so godawfully boring?
>>
>>66178574
Usually not. The school in OP's pic is really good, along with most other big ten schools
>>
>>66180548

be quiet and go back to your "safe space" college-boy and hope that maybe you can marry that girl in your class after your beloved team runs a train on her.
>>
>>66180424

>pays money to watch literal amateurs
>>
>>66178347
>amateur sports
>>
>>66180624
Look at this cuck over here.
>>66180515
>bring killed for a sport is passion

This is why no one takes soccer seriously other than mexicans.
>>
>>66180658
>This is why no one takes soccer seriously other than mexicans.

I hope you're not paying much for that degree, junior.
>>
>>66180548
that only happens in the supporter sections, no one forces you to sit near there.
>>
>college """"""""""""""" sports"""""""""""""""
>>
>>66178778
>studying at Cal
>doesn't go to a Cal bears game
Jesus fucking christ
>>
>>66184671
it hasn't started yet retard
>>
>>66178549
>duke
>suck
u wot m8
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmIH3xeWsL8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KR9KKAC_Jk
>implying muricans will ever live something like this
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWA3aWdKNKY
>>
Friendly reminder more people attended an Ohio State football practice than the """Champions*""" """""League**""""" Final

*4th place teams allowed to compete as well
**Actually a knockout competition
>>
>>66186528
Second looks like any teams championship parade through the downtown. Nothing close to special.
>>
>so what's it like for Euros to never have any real connection to their "team"
Sorry, can't take anything else you say after that seriously when your 'sports' let owners up sticks and move thousands of miles just to earn a few more shekels
>>
>>66186704
except it wasnt a parade; it was before a match
>>
>>66178606
Sports fans power rankings

>International Football
I don't even have to explain this
>1. Latin American Club Football
Nothing, and I mean nothing can match this level of passion, and for teams that are not the best even. Hispanics know how the fuck to be Sports fans.
http://bolavip.com/184725/pasion-que-late-las-hinchadas-de-la-semana-02-03-2016
>2. American College Football
This is the closest thing that I've ever seen to the amount of unalienable passion shown by Latin American Football fans. Nothing in american sports comes close to this. Not NFL, not MLS, not MLB, and I don't even have to mention how shit NBA "fans" are
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CYzJG35F-g

>[Power Gap]

>International Rugby
It's meh but it isn't shit, everyone else is, including Yuropoor football "fans"
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.