[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Which one of the three players currently leading the Candidates
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: 1391550270379.jpg (65 KB, 960x644) Image search: [Google]
1391550270379.jpg
65 KB, 960x644
Which one of the three players currently leading the Candidates Tournament would you rather see play a match for the World Chess Championship against Magnus Carlsen later this year?

Pic related, the three players leading the Candidates Tournament, and Magnus Carlsen.
>>
>Implying current leadership is relevant.

I'm starting to be really affraid of Karjakin winning the candidates. He can be really good sometimes but in a match against Carlsen it will be the most boring match of all time.

Anand same as every year but if he wins again the candidates he'll prove to those who made fun of him two years ago that he's, with no doubt, one of the best players to ever play the game.

And Aronian, maybe the most complicated but then it will all be draws, he'll loose some game blundering a piece and he'll laugh at the press conference because he has milk instead of blood.
>>
>>66166927
Caruana, Giri or Svidler could potentially catch up with the leaders as early as the next round, but a good start is very important. Given that there are three players on +1, it's fairly unlikely that all of them will collapse.
>>
>>66167047
>Giri
Don't make me laugh. He'll shit himself the first time he offers a draw to Carlsen and he declines it going for an 80 move game.

Caruana might be the biggest and more dangerous challenger, maybe the one we're all expecting to see, but it depends on his shape now and in november.

Svidler has the plus of being a veteran and really experienced on playing candidates with no reason. I highly doubt he can hold a 7 hours game against Magnus without speaking. He can't be two minutes without speaking. And if he doesn't win it he'll be broadcasting with Sopiko, wich is a better price.
>muh plus record against Carlsen
Every challenger that used that argument lost the WC match if I'm not wrong.

You don't consider Naka as a serious option then? Just because of Nxg3?
>>
>>66167229
I consider Giri the most dangerous player head-to-head against Carlsen, for several reasons, but Giri's main problem would be winning enough games to win the Candidates. Caruana could also be a contender, but he will have to start winning games soon, unless he goes for what Kramnik did in 2013. Speaking of the 2013 tournament, did you notice what Svidler did in the last round? He has beaten Carlsen before and could very well do it again. Also, I think Nakamura has played pretty badly in general in this tournament. He almost lost against Svidler yesterday, and an early minus score will be very tough to recover from.
>>
one dane and one spaniard like chess
>>
>>66167367
I don't agree with you on Giris point. I recognize I have a strong repulsion for him, but I don't see him reaching the necessary level and performing well once Magnus starts to get out of theory.

And Caruana is just 1 point behind, one decisive result in a full round draws isn't that hard and it is what we had for the first three days.

And I'm sorry but I don't buy the plus record of Svidler against Carlsen. A WC match just with the preparation to face each other I think would benefit Magnus.
>>
>>66168678
It's not as much Giri's strenght and record that makes him a formidable opponent for Carlsen, but rather his excessively cautious style. Giri is also not as intimidated by Carlsen as many other players are.
Caruana is only half a point behind, and he could very well catch up with the other leaders, but half a point means very much when the draw percentage is as high as it has been so far.
As for Svidler, I agree with you. Before the tournament, he was the only player I didn't consider a likely winner, and even if he won, he would be a huge underdog in a match against Carlsen. However, I expect him to win some games and influence the standings.
>>
Caruana or Vishy i think, although Svidler has an outside chance.
>>
File: Round 4.png (54 KB, 1257x530) Image search: [Google]
Round 4.png
54 KB, 1257x530
Round 4 begins shortly.

The game of today is arguably Karjakin - Anand, in which two of the three leaders meet.
Another game of interest is Caruana - Topalov, as the American will have good chances to score against an out-of-form Topalov.
>>
What the actual fuck

Saged for not sports
>>
The games have begun, and Caruana decided to play the Italian instead of inviting to the Berlin. How amusing.
>>
>>66175712
Norway could play against Australia without our top three players and would still be higher rated on every board. Be ashamed.
>>
>>66166778
None. They're all shit compared to Carlshit. Atleast if it was Giri or Caruana they'd give Carlsen a good fight. It'd be good to see Nakamura too because of the shit talking, and it would be funny to see him get destroyed.
>>
>>66175910
Why do you insist on using the term "Carlshit"?
>>
>>66175932
Because Wei Yi is coming for him
>>
>>66176554
Wei Yi will have to qualify for the Candidates first.
>>
funniest WC match rankings:
Nakamura = Giri > Anand > whatever i don't give a fuck.

Nakamura and Giri would bring some trashtalk and Giri might even win a game or two. Anand would be hilarious as Carlsen would blow him away once again and the qt commentator would ask Anand what he will eat for dinner.

Everyone else is boring.

inb4 redditfags suckings svidlers dick.
>>
>>66176709
ah i forgot: Aronian may be okay also.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.