[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is computer an athlete?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5
File: alphago-logo.png (50 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
alphago-logo.png
50 KB, 1200x1200
Is computer an athlete?
>>
Go isn't a sport, so no.
>>
>>66122150
What about chess? It's always discussed here when some big tournament is going on.
>>
>>66122161
Chess also isn't, despite what the IOC might like to believe.
>>
>>66122161
butts are also discussed here
>>
>>66122176
Well you see, butt IS an athlete.
>>
>>66122176
butts are sports related
>>
>muh intelligent computers
Why don't people understand that there is always a human who designed the fucking algorithms?
>>
>>66122206
The important question is, when will a computer be smart enough to design another computer which is even smarter?
>>
Board games aren't sports, so neither are Go and Chess. A computer is only an athlete when it controls a robot.
>>
>>66122206
>implying humanity wasn't designed by the great computer in the sky
>>
>>66122161
Who said chess is a sport, Ahmed? Just report them norway niggas; it's not my fault they want to mix up with bros but they are too fat and virgin to watch actual sports.
>>
>>66122273

the "computer" isn't in the sky

the "computer" is in a higher plane,

In a book there might be a God character and a human character but the creator of both of them is the writer of the book.

Our creator isn't in the same creation as us, they are in a higher level.
>>
>>66122172
>despite what is basically the sports comission of the world has to say

Yeah no, i should take your dumb opinion right
>>
>a massive shitposting board cares about the mental gymnastics that defines a sport

lmao
>>
>muh intelligent humans
Why don't people understand that there is always a DNA who designed the fucking humans?
>>
>>66122206
Actually alphago is more like people designed some kind of learning algorithm which they showed go games to. They wouldn't be capable of just straight writing an algorithm to beat lee sedol at go.
>>
If Go isn't a sport, then neither is Snooker.
>>
>>66128451
Snooker takes physical technique and control in order to manipulate the cue in a skillfull manner, the same can't be said for Go or Chess, there is no physical aspect to those games whatsoever.
>>
>>66124352
For it to be a sport according to the IOC all it needs is a federation, and to be played in enough countries, by enough people. That's a retarded as fuck way of doing things. If there's no physical strain on the body, it's not a sport.
>>
i didnt really know what go was before this desu but ive had a little look into it and a dabble and i reckon it might be more interesting than chess, definitely a lot more variability
>>
>>66128521
That's a retarded definition of a sport

And regardless you're putting some sort of physical strain in almost everything you do

Mental side of sport is just as important as physical
>>
>>66128583
>Mental side of sport is just as important as physical
And yet if the physical side is practically zero, it's not a sport.
>>
>>66128556
It depends much less on memorization than chess.
>>
>>66128596
Thats stupid, and you can play sports with basically no physical strain just fine
>>
File: CdLRdnyUAAAZ6T5.jpg-orig.jpg (54 KB, 598x850) Image search: [Google]
CdLRdnyUAAAZ6T5.jpg-orig.jpg
54 KB, 598x850
Would you a AlphaGo-chan?
>>
>>66128703
until the computers optimize fuseki 30 moves deep
>>
>>66129273
It doesn't matter because humans wouldn't play the optimal fuseki. Also, humans would not be able to punish the other player for deviating from this fuseki, because we simply couldn't remember all the variations.
>>
>>66129354
memorization will still get pushed to whatever point humans can handle it, same as chess
>>
Game 4 has just begun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCALyQRN3hw
>>
I really don't know shit about GO, so I just imagine the board is a city and the game is between hipsters and blacks trying to take over neighborhoods. GOntrification. Which shows how stupid I am. No subtlety.
>>
you are now aware that one day sporting leagues will have to allow half human half robots compete

youre now aware we'll eventually just watch robots battling each other and it'll be about "who owns the robot" as a form of national pride

you're now aware that man is going to obsolete in less than 3 generations
>>
>>66135065
Think of it as a race war. White and black factions fighting over territory.
>>
>>66135090
Kind of what I mean, but with housing. Maybe it's an American thing because whites and blacks have been doing it for a century or so. Whites have a nice neighborhood, then Blacks move in and ruin it, but lower the prices, so Whites move back in and push them out.
>>
>tfw robots will take over in your lifetime

i am actually okay with this
>>
>these people are wasting their time designing AI for games rather than more important shit
>>
>>66135532

such a dumb comment
>>
>>66135542
There are many better things to practise AI on
>>
>>66135558
its not practice, its application

and theres nothing better than a simple game with defined variables to begin with

then when you master that you can increase the problems and create an AI that can beat the 'game' of financial markets etc.
>>
>>66122176
Ass thread? Ass thread.
>>
>there are more permutations in Go than there are atoms in the universe
Literally w-what?
>>
>>66128703
That's what makes me like Go more. Chess is fantastic, but memorizing these fucking openings is really boring. At high level chess, top GMs memorize every single variation and can play literally by the book the first 15, 20, even 30 moves. Go is more flexible and "intuitional".

"I really believe that Go is destined to take the place of Chess as the leading intellectual game of the Ocident" (Edward Lasker)
>>
>>66135988
>"I really believe that Go is destined to take the place of Chess as the leading intellectual game of the Ocident" (Edward Lasker)

too bad it just got solved
>>
>>66136036
You have no idea what "solved game" means.
>>
>>66122206
Do you even slightly understand AI? I took one 400 level AI course for my BS and can tell you that there's way more to it than
>muh algorithms
>>
>>66136074
a game that is beaten by AI 100% of the time is solved

'hurr we don't know HOW the AI solved it'

yes we do, it solved it by observing a fuckload of games. it's a shame a human can't learn that skill, but it's no less solved because of HOW it's solved.
>>
>>66136247
Jesus Christ... You really don't know what it means. Let me help you:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solved_game
>>
>>66136398
oh ok we're using autistic definitions of 'solved games' instead of the literal definiton of 'solved' and 'games'

how would you define a game that has been 'solved' so that there is no way to win?

whatever that term is to you, use that term, then get treated for autism
>>
File: 68689686896986869868.png (11 KB, 211x246) Image search: [Google]
68689686896986869868.png
11 KB, 211x246
>>66136422
>>
>>66136467
>>66136422
you two are being stupidly silly. you should marry.
>>
3-1

Yay, Lee Sedol!

Game NOT "solved" (no matter how you define it.)
>>
File: image.gif (460 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
460 KB, 320x180
>>66128596
>Mental and intellectual effort for 4 hours during a go party isn't physically demanding.
>>
ITT: salty nerds who should go back to /v/ or /tg/
>>
>>66128451
If you can play it on a computer with someone not playing it on a computer, it's not a sport. That applies to both Chess and Go, but not billiards, darts and bowling
>>
>>66137235
/g/ BTFO

go back to installing gentoo on your toasters you fucking nerds
>>
>>66122161
There's literally one Norwegian guy who posts about chess. Nobody else gives a fuck.
Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.