[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has any star athlete ever caused this much butthurt to older
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 5
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 284x177) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 284x177
Has any star athlete ever caused this much butthurt to older players? Why are retired NBA players obsessed with knocking down his accomplishments?
>>
because hes white

niggers cant stand the thought of a whitet being the GOAT of all time
>>
>>66062754
Guy named Michael Jordan.
>>
>>66062754
Because he could only play in today's era. Players like Steph would get knocked around and beat up in their era. But times change, and the league is more about finesse.
>>
>>66062782
What are you talking about? This era is the most difficult era of all time for volume scorers. Handchecking is basically irrelevant, the illegal defense rules have way more impact.
>>
I think they are misdirecting their ire. Its not Steph's fault the media is fellating him so much while he's only been relevant for ~2 years while being Michael Redd-tier for the others.
>>
>>66062840
this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YM_eCnTNt1Q
>>
>>66062948
The only thing you prove is that players today can't play defense. Zone is usually used by teams with shit defenders. Much easier to hide guys. Like Steve Smith said, back then if you couldn't play D, you didn't play. Which Curry himself isn't a very good defender. He would be but a one way player in any other era.
>>
>>66062840
Zone made it more of a team game desu.
That said, zone is by no means impenetrable and teams like the Warriors and Spurs have systems that really help circumvent a lot of the problems with zone, the Spurs especially
>>
>>66062948
Video is also not correct when it says Jordan didn't face zone since college. His last two years as a wizard, zone was in the nba. And at 39 and 40 years of age he still put up over 20 per night. Scorers find ways to score points. If a checker like Harden can score on zone, pretty damn sure Jordan in his prime would have little problem.
>>
>>66063107
People try to shit on MJs wizard years but he still averaged over 20, kek
>>
>>66063066
>Zone is usually used by teams with shit defenders.

What a stupid fucking thing to say, wow.
>>
>>66063066
What? Zone defense is very effective in the NBA. That's why it was banned for decades. It's the best defense possible. All of the leagues best defenses played zone or something like a zone (08-10 Celtics, Thibs era Bulls, '16 Spurs).

Curry is an average defender, not terrible by any means. He'd be even more effective offensively in the older era. It wouldn't be a total defensive disaster to have him guard the worse offensive player between an opposing teams PG/SG. Or if a team has a Tony Allen/Biyombo type total offensive disaster just put him there.
>>
>>66063117
i think it was more because he was on the wizards. Going from the best aesthetics in the NBA to some of the worst has a psychological effect
>>
>>66063160
Curry could easily guard Kerr or Ron Harper.
>>
Curry is a shooter, not a basketball player
>>
>>66063107
No one said Jordan would be shit in todays era. It's just the "muh handchecking" argument is pathetic. Players handcheck all the time still and it barely gets called. Chris Paul does it a lot.
>>
All dese old faggets have Michael Jordan's big fat dick so far up their mouths that they get offended when the true GOAT comes along
>>
>>66063188
>shooting and dribbling aren't the most important parts of playing offense in basketball
literally kill yourself
>>
>>66063188
He's the best scorer inside the paint in the entire NBA as well as an elite ball handler. He can isolate even against bigger guards because his release is so fast. The idea that Curry is one dimensional is a meme. Guys who are shooters not ballers are like Steve Novak or Matt Bonner
>>
>>66063117
Even as an old man, Jordan was a dominant scorer.
>>
>>66063240
Because people close out on him hard. Gives him a ton of easy layups. Wouldn't call Curry a top 5 slasher or rim attacker in the nba today.
>>
>>66063349
Sure, Golden State's offense is a big part of that. But so is Curry's ball handling ability and his elite touch. He regularly clowns defenders in the paint with his handle. Their last game against Oklahoma was a good example of how he can attack the basket. It's irrelevant though because he's still the greatest shooter ever. Saying "oh, he wouldnt be that good if he couldnt shoot" is just retarded and pointless.
>>
>>66062840
It's a lot easier to shoot out on the perimeter than it was in the past. The NBA has basically eliminated all contact out on the perimeter making it a lot hard to defend shooting. I do think that former players are being too butt hurt about though
>>
>>66063238

passing? defending? who needs them!? just set illegal screens, travel, palm the ball, and chuck 3's! what a sport!
>>
>>66063326
Definitely, plus more than half the people he played watched him as a kid and probably were scared shitless or just excited to be on the court with him. And, personally, I think Jordan just did it for fun. Or whatever the equivalent of fun is to a hyper competitive millionaire psychopath.
>>
>>66063175
In a league with no zone?
Not a chance. Ron has 4 inches and like 20 lbs on him. Just isolated and post up all day. Curry would also be forced to chase Kerr around picks all day. Considering most of Curry's D is standing in a corner off the ball and doing nothing (zone D is used to hide him) I seriously doubt he could guard many pg's in today's nba or the last generation.
>imagine Steph in the 90's being forced to guard Gary Payton, Mark Jackson, Isiah Thomas, Kevin Johnson, John Starks etc all 1 on 1

Good luck with that.
>>
>>66063451
it's like he didn't read my post
OH he's one of those nigger ape hoop players who would prefer running into the paint and getting fouled
of COURSE he cant read!
>>
>>66063466
or, to be more charitable/conspiracy minded, he returned to the NBA to give America something to think about post-9/11 other than the end of the Republic. He did it for us.
>>
>>66063449
How so? Handchecking barely has anything to do with three point shooting and mostly prevents driving to the rim. Lmao, Curry would have dominated the Jordan era, he'd hit 3s off of clear outs like nothing and destroy hard doubles by creating 4 on 3s.
>>
>>66063480
Fucking Ron Harper scored six points a game, he can try all he wants to ''get his''
>>
>>66063217
And most young fags have Curry's. I fail to see the point you are trying to make. Old fags at least have the knowledge of watching several decades of basketball, in different era's. It is stupid when some kid (who probably just started watching basketball) claims an older player couldn't make it in today's much softer nba.
>>
Reminder that anyone who is a fan of Steph Curry has only been watching basketball for a few years.

Reminder that Golden State "fans" are just bandwagoners that used to be Laker "fans" when they were playing good

California basketball """""fans" """""" are pathetic casuals with no loyalty
>>
>>66063480
You know,double teams was allowed back then too. I'd imagine whatever Ron Harpers ppp would be from posting Curry would be nothing compared to how Steph could pick apart the weak 80s/90s defensive schemes
>>
>>66063480
And if we are playing no zone then the Warriors beat the Bulls almost every time. Rodman couldn't play offense, it would be 4 on 5.
>>
>>66063449
Just look at James Harden as proof. My god I hate watching him play!
>>
>>66063107
>Video is also not correct when it says Jordan didn't face zone since college
No, video specifically says Jordan faced zone again as a Wizard (around 2:09)
>>
>>66063566
>says a New York tripfag
>>
>>66063451
Yeah those things are way out of hand today. I mean no one sets legal screens anymore. Traveling is also at an all time high.
>>
>>66063566
sacramento.

sorry to have so completely eviscerated your argument with a single word.
>>
>>66063589
It also made it sound like he struggled against it. Mind you at 40 he put up around 22 points a game. Safe to say zone had little effect on Jordan.
>>
>>66063538
I'm not talking about handchecking.Im talking about how since the early 2000's physical play has been discouraged out on the perimeter. Its a lot easier to shoot the ball when the defender has to give you space
>>
>>66062754
He's an ucle tom not real nigga from da hood
You could even go as far as to say he's a whitey
>>
>>66063639
>ousting yourself as a bandwagoner anyway
lol k thanks for proving my point
>>66063618
>the city of you
>>
>>66063571
Players were generally better 1 on 1 defenders back then, you had to be. Also Warriors fans make it sound like Bogut and Eziel would be like 4 on 5 as well? Warriors would be to stay in small ball. Bulls would just insert Toni Kukoc who was a hell of a scorer and creator.
>>
>>66062948
Holy shit.
Why do Americans hate freedom?

>please don't defend this way, it hurts my feelings
>we should implement rules to take the free market away
>let's have a salary cap because communism is fun

The Jews completely run American sports and it's sickening
>>
>>66062774
Blake Griffin is whiter than him.

>>66062840
Go investigate how the end of shotgun barrel tastes like.

>>66062905
This, to be honest.

>>66063160
>Thibs Bulls
>'16 Spurs
>Zone defenses

Yeah, go fuck yourself. Even the most well known "zone" teams only used it a percentage of their possessions. Cuban said as much of his championship Mavs, possibly the most famous and successful recent zone in the NBA. They only used it as a way to mix things up and never relied totally on it because once you get used to it it's very easy to attack. Even Barkley and most of the NBA opencourt pannel agreed to that. The reason it was illegal for most of the NBA history was because it demoted great individual play by star players, which was what the NBA was selling on those era's. But that doen't mean those players couldn't attack or score on it, it would just mean that michael instead of having 5-10 spectacular isolation plays per game he'd have 1 to maybe two. But he'd score just as much if not more by other means.
>>
>>66063674
Same as football. They value more scorer and less defense. And yes this is fact. Both the nba and NFL clearly favors offense these days. Fans aren't interested in 70 -75 final scores in the nba anymore.
>>
>>66063644
Okay, keep in mind that Wizards Jordan was during an era where schemes were still adjusting to the new rules. It wasn't until the 08-10 Celtics that defense had really evolved to the new rules.

He also only scored .416 and .445 fg% per 100 possessions in his Washington seasons repectively. Those are his least efficient seasons by far. Again, no one said zone defense is impossible to score against. No one said Jordan would not be a great player in the modern era.
>>
>>66063716
Thibs Bulls and Celtics never played zone, he doesn't believe in it. If you are a shit defender, Thibs won't play you, period. Kind of why the Bulls front office fired him. He wouldn't play their young offensive players.
>>
>>66063741
I will never get why this is.

It's really entertaining to watch physical games where you can tell everyone came to kill the other team.
>>
>>66063716
Never said anyone really plays a full zone all the time, but those defenses were all successful because they adapted well to the illegal defense rules. Explain to me how handchecking makes it so much harder for three point shooters somehow, that doesnt make any fucking sense
>>
>>66062774
Isn't he like 3/4 black? Dude was much darker when he was drafted by the Warriros.
>>
>>66063754
What part of he was 40 fucking years old don't you get? Jordan was a good 5 years past his peak and still played well against zone. You telling me 28 year old Jordan, who was faster and more explosive than Lebron couldn't handle today's zone D?
>>
>>66063674
Isn't that because when teams trap or press on the perimiter it gives up easy 4 on 3s? I'd rather let Harden chuck threes for example all game than close out and give up more efficient opportunities to the offense
>>
>>66063785
Because they think points = entertainment.
I just want to see a good game. Low scoring or high doesn't matter as long as the game is good.
>>
>>66063792
>Explain to me how handchecking makes it so much harder for three point shooters somehow

wow, really. basically if a defender has his hand on your hip you can't even shoot it. how does that NOT make Curry vastly less valuable?
>>
>>66063814
No, I think Jordan would be a perennial MVP contender in the modern NBA. Literally my only point is that the illegal defense rules have impacted volume scorers more than handchecking did.

A 5 year past his prime Jordan scoring a lot of points on 27+ attempts a game right after the rule changes doesn't mean anything, it doesn't mean the illegal defense rules had no impact on volume scorers.
>>
>>66063838
Points are entertainment. And I say this as a Detroit Piston's fan whose favorite series ever was the Spurs-Pistons defensive slogfest where we lost in 7. I'm not mad at the NBA for wanting scores to be in the 100s, it's a business at the end of the day.
>>
>>66063862
Curry would just shake that nigga up and shoot with a sliver of daylight. Watch the games you fucking stupid piece of shit, jesus fucking christ faggot.
>>
>>66063880
But they aren't really. Are you really entertained by all-star games?
>>
>>66063709
And even then, their "zone defense" is still heavily restricted and far from a completely free defense.
>>
>>66063862
Curry is an elite shot creator with the fastest release in the NBA. His range is unparalleled, there is no distance he can't step back to. He could drag his defender to the logo if he wanted. Not to mention it doesn't stop him from coming off a screen. Also if you decide to trap and check him at half court or at the line he can usually beat his defender or make an easy score for Draymond.
>>
Steph is the best nba player ever, deal with it.
>>
>>66063864
Meanwhile chuckers like Melo and Harden score at will against D today.......Just sayian.
>>
>>66063776
they didn't play zone but they certainly took advantage of certain principles that the elimination of illegal defense created
>>
>>66063912
I'm not entertained by all-star games because there's no point, it's an exhibition. And yes they really are. A basketball game where nobody scores for fifteen minutes is not entertaining. Go watch women's basketball if you love it so much. You fucking faggot.
>>
>>66063934
Wrong. The best NBA player ever is a Serb, Petar Maravic.
>>
>>66063907
>Curry would just shake that nigga up and shoot with a sliver of daylight

What kind of narcotics are you on? How does Curry's semen taste like?

If a guy has his hand firmly on you, assuming he's a competent defender, the only way you can create space consistently is either with a screen or by driving. And good luck driving on Kawhi or Butler or Avery Bradley and guys like that.
>>
>>66063924
>responding to Portugal non-aggressively like she isn't a massive LeBron dickriding casual faggot
>>
>>66063934
Numbers would disagree with you. Longevity would also disagree with you. Steph has played at this level for a whole 2 years. Jordan put up similar numbers for over a decade. Same goes for guys like Lebron, Bird, Wilt etc. Steph isn't even top 50 all time as of yet. If he can keep this up for like 5-7 more years, then we can talk.
>>
>>66063974

literally who?
>>
>>66063943
Many NBA players on record have called Carmelo Anthony the hardest player to guard in the NBA and one of the most skilled offensive players in the game. Harden almost won MVP last year. If that's all because of "chucking", then whatever. Why even watch basketball at all?
>>
>>66063976
You're so fucking stupid, I fucking hate you.
>>
>>66063992

thanks croatian nba follower
>>
>>66063992
>Steph isn't even top 50 all time as of yet

lol he's already better than LeBron ever was
>>
>>66063976
Steph put Kawhi on skates. Also Curry could sprint backwards and start shooting from 30 ft and he'd probably hit 40% of them .
>>
lebron looks so old and washed up, drugs are eating his body, steph looks healthy
>>
>>66063924
> His range is unparalleled
> there s no distance he can't step back to.
> He could drag his defender to the logo if he wanted.

>This is what delusional Curry-fags believe

C'mon, let's not be dumbass casuals here.

>>66063963
Are they entertaining as Basketball contests? If you think so I guess that's cool for you, but I couldn't disagree more.

> A basketball game where nobody scores for fifteen minutes is not entertaining. Go watch women's basketball if you love it so much. You fucking faggot.

Yes, there's no difference between low scoring because the players suck, and low scoring because defenses are really really good.
>>
>>66064034
Now yes, over the course of Lebron's career, fuck no!
>>
>>66064054
He's never looked young, he's been on steroids for close to 20 years now.
>>
>>66064061
Nah, LeBron never impressed me. Karl Malone 2.0. If you removed the media surrounding him I'm not sure people would even notice LeBron.
>>
>>66064054
Always figured Lebron would crash hard when he did. Over the next 2-3 years he will decline sharply. All that bulk and size will catch up with him as he ages. Also a lot of his game was built around that size and speed. Once it goes, he will be in trouble.
>>
>>66064057
>C'mon, let's not be dumbass casuals here.
YOU FIRST FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD

I wish Napoleon had wiped your country from the face of the Earth
>>
>>66064086
Malone was a damn good player. Probably the greatest PF to ever play.

>Duncan was always more of a C imo
>>
>>66063985
I literally only even mention LeBron when people say retarded shit like he's a bad player, which he's just not, that's a simple fact, no matter how much you may or may not like him.

>>66064009
Jesus fucking Christ you guys are literal pnasies. You guys are worse than redditors. You can't take people who don't conform to your general hugbox and just get pissed off and don't ever realise you make statements just as ridiculous as what you think mine are.

If this is how it is just fucking filter me and don't answer.
>>
>>66064104
LeBron plays basketball like he's entitled to the shots going in. Watching him shoot his team out of the playoffs with arrogant three pointers is great fun. He's never gotten better at basketball.
>>
File: BANG BANG.webm (3 MB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
BANG BANG.webm
3 MB, 540x300
>>66064057
Do you realize that he's shooting, like, literally, 42% (5/12) from 35 feet and further this season?

35 feet is webm related distance
>>
>>66064129
Stockton baby. A huge roided out idiot, like LeBum. I know he's good, so is LeBron, but that doesn't translate to impressive or great play.
>>
>>66064131
You're literally bringing the most casual, media approved ignorant basketball opinions into every NBA thread and complaining about other people's hugboxes? Think for yourself you amazing piece of shit.
>>
>>66064105
I'm gonna take you seriously for the sake of argument.

You think that with a defender literally on his jersey, Steph could step back from him 40+ft from the basket and make more than 15% of those shots?
>>
>>66064151
There's just too many butthurt people trying to deny that this kid is changing the way basketball is being played.
>>
File: steph_curry_28_.0.jpg (49 KB, 730x434) Image search: [Google]
steph_curry_28_.0.jpg
49 KB, 730x434
>>66064057
>>
>>66064189
We shall see in 10 years if this is a good thing.

>next generation of players will do nothing but jack up 35 ft threes
>Most will shoot like shit because Steph is a rare shooter

Can't wait to see this horrible new era.
>>
>>66064185
He can shoot from 28 to 40 but if you were retarded enough to press him at 40 he wouldn't pull up. It would just turn into an easy bucket for one of his teammates. For the handful of defenders good enough to deal with Curry at that range the fact still remains that pressing doesn't work in the NBA.
>>
>>66064253
FUCK. OFF.
People said the same things about Jordan. About Shaq. About AI. So unless you want to say that the NBA has been in decline since 1984 or some shit, shut up.
>>
>>66064179
I'm not even gonna argue that my opinions are casual-tier, fine, let's assume they are. If that's the case, if that's really the case how is it not a response as simple as proving me wrong instead of calling me a faggot? which doesn't even affect me by the way, you're just wasting your time doing that.

ITT thread for example. Most of you are arguing hand-checking wouldn't affect Curry for ecample, and using as arguments ridiculous shit like "HURR he'd step back form the logo and hit a 3 in yo face DURR". I mean, c'mon, It doesn't get more casual than that. That's beyond dumb.
>>
>>66064185
Fucking Spain! If Napoleon had known how to conduct and fight a Guerrilla war against Spanish peasants he would have subdued your pitiful country, slain your ancestors, said on the UK and liberated Europe. I fucking hate you and your complete lack of basketball knowledge and the fact you don't have a job and post here all the time. You make my life worse.

My name is Ben and I hate you portugal.
>>
>>66064189
Well, he's the only one who can do this, so it's not like he'll change the game by himself. If the other teams don't get the own Curries, they won't be able to do any shit.

Today's trend put more importance on long range shooting, but the Spurs did it before the Warriors did. As far as I remember, it's still the Spurs who scored the most 3 pointers in a finals in 2014, and Green is still the one who scored the most 3 pointers in a finals as well.
>>
>>66064320
Okay
>>66064191

What is your point anyway? Where do you rank Curry as of now and if handchecking were legal again where do you think he'd rank after that?
>>
>>66064320
Why would it effect you? You're a faggot and know it. Be proud.
>>
>>66064283
You probably weren't old enough to recall Jordan, but it was a bad thing. The nba saw a bunch of young and super athletic guys join the league. Most could run and jump like jordan. Too bad almost all of them sucked, simply because they didn't pay attention to Jordan's fundamentals. Kobe was literally the only one that became something. Too bad we had like a dozen Harlod Miners.
>>
>>66064344
Sailed, not said.

He would have installed one of his idiot brothers to run your country.
>>
>>66064151
>>66064191
I knew this would get posted.

Yes he's really good from deep range, but he would never shoot consistenly from there while being reasonably contested, if that were the case he'd just shoot from there every possession 'cause no player or team has ever shot 68% from any 3pt range.
>>
>>66064376
Have they installed computers on bobility scooters already.

Damn technology moves fast.
>>
>>66064379
Im without a doubt older than you and remember the Jordan Era clearly. Every single decent player in the last 20 years idolized Jordan and used him as a barometer of greatness. Be they white or black, American or ''other''. The players in the NBA today are more skilled, aggressive, athletic and competitive than the NBA before Jordan.

This is a good thing.

Yeah, there were a lot of pretenders, but that's sports. People copy success. In the end it wasn't a good thing, it was a GREAT thing.
>>
>>66062754
He's not a "star".

Let me know when he becomes at least as successful as KD and then we'll start talking
>>
It's so retarded to say "But if they changed the rules he wouldn't be so good!!!!". Well, of course. Specially since he's being playing under these rules his whole basketball career.

But it's also retarded to underestimate the ability of a talented player to adapt. Curry could have bulked up a bit in college and his first years if there was handchecking and more importantly, he'd simply adapt to playing against that. LeBron, Durant, Westbrook, Paul, Davis, all elite players would do that.
>>
>>66064546

He's much more successful than K "the servant lmao'' D
>>
>>66064476
>more skilled
Most players today can't set proper screens, box out, or shoot fucking free throws. They aren't more skilled. Skill doesn't mean running and jumping higher. Most players today actually lack skill. Imagine if D'andre Jordan actually had a post game. Most places coast through their nba careers today off their atheltism, and never actually improve their skill level. Even Lebron as talented as he is, still can't fucking shoot after 12 years in the nba!

>older than me

I doubt that dude, I will be 40 in May. Not even joking.
>>
>>66064596
How many times has Curry made the playoffs?

How many times has KD made the playoffs?

how many times was Curry an all-star?
how many times was KD an all-star?

Thank you
>>
File: laugh5.jpg (6 KB, 180x174) Image search: [Google]
laugh5.jpg
6 KB, 180x174
>>66064546
>>
>>66064344
>You make my life worse.

Finally made an impact somewhere. Thank you, I needed that.
>>
>>66064642
lyl
>>
>>66064624
The random super athletes have existed since sports began, they are outliers. And I would argue that NBA players ARE more skilled. The average sixth man in 1986 would be blown the fuck out by the average sixth man in 2016.

>Not even joking.

Nobody would joke about that.
>>
>>66064662
>Finally made an impact somewhere.

Check your sofa springs Guilherme
>>
>>66064546
>at least as successful as KD
uh, he is more successful
>>
>>66064405
Okay, but contesting shots past 28 ft leaves your defense wide open, especially for a gifted ball handler and passer like Curry. That's why Curry is so deadly. He puts defenses in a difficult position. There was a stretch where he was scoring better than someone who makes 100% of their 2s.
>>
>>66064642
Meaningless nonsense. Curry is the acknowledged best in the game and better at everything KD is good at, while being more popular and more likeable and also never transformed into the avatar of cursed failures by a talentless meme rapper.

KD is honestly very close to falling off completely, he was SO popular and SO good at one point it's kinda crazy how far he's fallen. The future looked so good and now it's pretty clear he might never see the Finals again.
>>
File: shrug.jpg (38 KB, 540x381) Image search: [Google]
shrug.jpg
38 KB, 540x381
>>66064747
I don't even know what that means. :D
>>
>>66064777
How is he more successful than Curry?

KD has done more with less than Curry has, and even brought his team to the NBA finals at 23.

At 23, Curry was Anthony Bennett tier
>>
>>66064807
He means you're fat
>>
>>66064807
youre fat or he fucked yur mamacita on your couch
>>
>>66064822
>Anthony Bennett tier

Fuck off. At 23 Curry was shooting .490 from two and .455 from three for 18.8/4.3/6.8 per 36. Those are well above average numbers.
>>
>>66064797
>it's kinda crazy how far he's fallen.

>Second best scorer in the league
>Best player on a top 5 team
>top 5 in the MVP race

Can't really be THAT much of a fall.

>>66064781
That's true. And no one's arguing against his talents and that he woulnd't still be a great player. Handchacking would affect his effectiveness though, and you'd most likely see his shooting % come down a bit. THat's all I'm saying.
>>
>>66064902
He also lead the NCAA in scoring while in college. He's always been great. KD was a choke artist in college.
>>
>>66064797
KD: 73 playoff games, won 40 of them
Curry: Only has appeared in 40 playoff games TOTAL, only winning a scant 25 of them

>>66064902
In 2012, it was a legitimate question whether or not Curry was better than Monta Ellis

Or his contemporary in the draft, Ricky Rubio

KD never had a floor like that
>>
>>66064822
>becoming the best shooter of all time
>not as successful as a lanky african nigger that can't beat lelbron
>>
>>66064926
There is no MVP race you moron. Holy Shit. And yes I was calling you fat and/or your sofa cheap.
>>
>>66064851
>>66064894
But I'm skinny because I'm too poor to buy enough food.

>he fucked yur mamacita on your couch
>mamacita
>Portuguese
>>
>>66064926
Not as much as people think. And handchecking would affect anyone else just as much. Curry is more than just a three point shooter. The players who would really be hurt by that are Jared Dudley, Steve Novak, Mirza Teletovic, Channing Frye, etc.
>>
>>66064966
And now KD doesn't have a ceiling as high as Curry. Crazy how the world works.
>>
>>66064999
>There is no MVP race you moron.

Fine, whatever you want to call it, he's the 2nd/5th most valuable player in the league. I don't know how that made what I said any less true but there you go.

> and/or your sofa cheap.

Ouch? I guess?
>>
>>66064966
2012-13 per 36 numbers.

Curry: 21.6 pt/3.8 reb/6.5 ast/1.5 stl/ and 2.9 turnovers on .451/.453/.900 shooting

Ellis: 18.5/3.7/5.8/2.0 and 3 turnovers on .416/.287/.773 shooting

I don't need to look up Rubio's numbers to know how horrible his offense was
>>
>>66065013
>Not as much as people think

The degree to which he'd be affected is debatable. This is all hypothetical anyway.

> And handchecking would affect anyone else just as much.

That's not totally true. It probably wouldn't affect Cousins or DJ that much to be honest.

> Curry is more than just a three point shooter.

That's true, but I think the post I originally was answering to made a point that handchecking isn't as imprtant as Xone. And particularly in Curry's case that's really not true. His talents are much more useful against a zone than handchecking. This is kind of a tangent but anyway.

> The players who would really be hurt by that are Jared Dudley, Steve Novak, Mirza Teletovic, Channing Frye, etc.

I disagree on this, hand-checking wouldn't really affect spot-ups that much because they aren't shooting contested jumpers anyway. Now if you say Reddick or Kyle Korver might be more affected I'd probably agree with you.
>>
>>66065178
This is a bad argument, Monta Ellis wasn't a known commodity like he is nowadays. People thought he could be a first option guy.
>>
>>66064797
He's arguably the second best player in the league. Curry has just set the bar so high this year that plus Durant was coasting a little bit in the beginning of the season so it seems like he's fallen off
>>
>>66065270
Arguably being the key word here.
>>
>>66064966

>extrapolating those numbers out, if Curry were to play 73 playoff games he'd win 45.5 playoff games, above KD's clip.

lmao
>>
>>66065317
haha Durant Truthers BTFO
>>
>>66065230
I didn't think that. Who was saying that? Barkley? Jalen? Lol.

>>66065220
Yeah, good point about the spot up shooters. But idk, we're used to seeing Curry against switches and soft double teams and all the stuff defenses do now since the rule change. Those things mostly make it hard to drive to the basket and we know that Curry is extremely efficient there and is an effective driver (in the vein of Nash or Parker rather than Wade or DeRozan or Westbrook).

Don't the rule changes make it easier for teams to handle screens? Or are you envisioning Curry running off a screen directly into a check? Most defenders can't chase him.
>>
>>66065317
But extrapolating like that is retarded. You can't say that Curry could keep that pace up over a much larger sample size. Not to mention a lot of the playoff games he's played so far were against clearly subpar opponents thanks to injuries and lucky scheduling
>>
>>66065312
My point is just because Steph Curry is having a historically great season, doesn't mean guys like Durant and Chris Paul aren't having very good seasons themselves.
>>
>>66065438
of course they are having good seasons, their teams are built entirely around them and their whims.
>>
>>66065230
Also people were down on Curry at the time for being injury prone
>>
>>66064926
>THat's all I'm saying.
>>66063862
>This backpedaling
>>
>>66062754
Because he doesn't drive the lane for a hard foul
>>
>>66065437

It's not if used to prove a point to the guy who referenced the numbers. He said it was a "scant" total of 25 wins out of 40 playoff games and compared it to KDs playoff record, which implies he feels that Curry was not at a decent rate.
>>
>>66065434
The effectiveness of his screen stuff would be impacted depending on the context. If, for example the defender was alreasy on him before the screen comes, handchecking can make it really tough to use that screen efectively and would give more time for the big defender to hedge better. On the faster offense stuff and double dragg screens, elevator plays, etc, it probably wouldn't change much.

The biggest change would be his off-the dribble stuff and he'd be considerably worse on driving situations.

He'd still be an elite offensive player, ultimately.
>>
>>66065509
>>66065588

It's not my fault you take statements as either for a player being the best ever or trash.
>>
>>66063690
>ousting
outing.

and i'm not a bandwagoner, but nothing i say to you can prove it, so why bother. believe whatever you need to believe.

the nba has always had fans that support a player > a team, all leagues have fans who'd rather watch the best teams as entertainment than suffer some sort of birthright. none of them have any impact on my life, so i don't care. why do you care.

really, ask yourself why you care.
>>
>>66065617
You literally said he'd be vastly less valuable, then that the only thing that would happen is his percentage would go down a little bit.

Also, Curry uses screens like no other, specially because of how fast his release is. Even with handchecking he'd still get the space turning the corner on a screen and the defense would still have to throw another man at him, setting the Draymond Green+3 x 3 vortex.

Off the dribble, if players are so glued to him, he'd dribble past them and drive, like he does nowadays. He can stepback as well to create space. Why do you think he'd be worse at driving this way?

And why are we even talking about this? Different rules hypotheticals are beyond retarded.
>>
>>66065817
I agree with almost everything you said, except the driving stuff.

A player with his level of explosiveness, or lack thereof couldn't drive on a handchecking defender as easily as he does now. You don't even have to play at the NBA level to test it yourself. Ifyou ever play BBall competitively you can tell it's much easier to defend a drive if you can control the offensive player with your hand (ie, fouling him under current rules). This is especially true if you put bigger, stronger guys on him. One of the reasons CP is so effective defensively is because the refs almost always let him get physical, sometimes beyond what you could say is legal.

The other thing it does is if a defender handchecks you, you have to turnyour back on him, which makes all the other tricky dribble stuff a lot harder 'cause even turning again to face the defender is a risk 'cause they can mess up your dribble really easily, like what Kobe used to do when he'd basically lock your right arm once you switched your dribble to the off hand (i.e fouling under any rules) so when they changed back it would be a guaranteed steal/TO

these changes might not seem too big, and like you said most of his points don't come from those situations. The thing is, these smaller options, just by being there make everything easier for him because defenses have to account for them. That's the point. For an elite offensive player, taking away one or two plays from him can vastly affect their game.

I might have been hyperbolic using "vastly" in the first place, but his game would see considerable changes I think.

>And why are we even talking about this? Different rules hypotheticals are beyond retarded.

They are, but they can be fun.
>>
>>66064057
Are you watching the games? He does thia regularly im not even the guy your replying to
>>
>>66062754
Because he's changing the game and shits all over how they feel basketball should be played. Back then, it was all about driving to the lane. Now everybody want to shoot 3's.
>>
>>66068689
You mean the range stuff?

Yes, GS is probably one of the teams I follow the most, and those are not even close to amounting to the bulk of his points. He is the rangiest player in the league probably ever but he couldn't realistically shoot 3's off-the-dribble from 40+ with enough consistency to be a viable offense. That's ridiculous.
>>
>>66062948

This is the sole reason for the "Pace and Space" you see in the NBA. Fill the 1 through 5 positions (if you can) with players that can hit 3s at a decent % and you invalidate a zone. The reason the Warriors are so dominating is that they take Pace and Space to a whole new level by extending defenses way beyond the arc. When you have to meet a player at the 28-32 ft mark zone is absolutely worthless and it totally goes against what every team plays against day to day.

To me it shows the power of ingenuity, where people will always find a way to exploit a rule set. As the amount of 3 point attempts continues to skyrocket the NBA will adjust the rules accordingly. I have heard people talk about extending the 3 point "arc" which imo wouldn't change much at all. IMO making zone illegal would be somewhere near the top making athletic scorers around the rim dominate again.
>>
>>66062774

>Because he's white

So is Obama eh Thiago?
>>
there's no way Steph Curry would be shooting 52% from the field, 45% 3pt against Michael or Scottie
Thread replies: 159
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.