[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>All the UFC threads Is boxing still even viable as a sport?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4
File: rocky_iv_original_k.jpg (67 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
rocky_iv_original_k.jpg
67 KB, 640x360
>All the UFC threads

Is boxing still even viable as a sport?
>>
File: image.jpg (165 KB, 634x634) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
165 KB, 634x634
>>65997375

I like boxing. We'll still see the sport turn out high quality fighters because of the fighters pay rate.

If any male UFC fighter could make it in boxing then trust me, they would be boxing right now. Trust me
>>
among real men yes, not the NEET shut-ins that populate this board
>>
File: Gayweather.jpg (281 KB, 878x754) Image search: [Google]
Gayweather.jpg
281 KB, 878x754
>All that "boxing is back" shitposting from before the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight

Lel. I've never seen a sport die on live television like that
>>
Why don't boxers make side cash in UFC if it's so easy? Why don't UFC guys try a little boxing on the side for kicks? Are contracts that complicated or what? There are athletes who play both baseball and football during the seasons, why not fight sports?
>>
The beat dont fight the best at boxing, they arent even champions. They do and are in ufc.
>>
And you have way too many different titles in the same weight division.
>>
Then there is the ridiculous level of corruption.
>>
>>65997466
>thinking all those IOUs to the federal reserve are actually worth anything
why do stupid americans just keep loads of cash rather than own assets?
>>
>>65997375
>Is boxing still even viable as a sport?
There are only three boxers interesting to watch: Kovalev, Golovkin and Lomachenko. The rest are pure shit.
>>
>>66000928
>>66001141
>>66001352
This.
>corrupt as fuck
>>
boxing or tippy toein
>>
>>65998615
>There are athletes who play both baseball and football during the seasons,

Name one.
>>
people have been saying "boxing is dying" "boxing is dead" for decades now. Yet it persists, and yet its elite athletes are still making millions just to show up.

Just a reminder that floyd has made $40 million in one night, multiple times over. Lesser talents have still made upwards of $10 million a fight. This is hardly the economy of a dead sport.

Part of it is that white americans and southern/western europeans have no concept of culture outside of their own. Boxing is HUGELY popular in black america, latin america and still quite popular in FSU countries. Its certainly not the household sport it once was, but its also been around for over a 100 years.

Its very possible MMA is the slow kiss of death for boxing, but its not going to "die" anytime soon. Any talk of its death will only be relevant when MMA fighters start making bank that rivals even B list fighters. Mcgregor is the highest paid athlete in the UFC (the only really relevant MMA organization) and he has made a fraction in his entire career thus far, of what floyd makes in one night.
>>
>>66007300
>people have been saying "boxing is dying" "boxing is dead" for decades now. Yet it persists
Only because of romanticists are clinging on to the hope that it will be relevant again
>>
>>65997375
More money in boxing
>>
>>66007300
i'm curious as tho where the money in boxing comes from? i never see the hype that UFC Fight nights get with boxing bouts, yet the turnover is so much more. Where the fuck does the money come from?
>>
>>66007433
Bribery, laundering etc. It's the same as how people can pay an "artist" £20,000,000 for a cup of shit or whatever
>>
>>66007488
what do you mean exactly by bribing? Who bribes who for what when it comes to a boxing bout?
>>
>>65997375
Isn't boxing plague by greed and corruption?
>>
Speaking as a massive boxing fan, the sport is in pretty sire straits right now. Not for any want of talent, but because of the increasingly obstructionist business interests that the sport has become mired in. I'm of the belief that boxing needs to die in order to rise again like a phoenix. It's too culturally ingrained and there is too much inherent appeal for it to truly die, but we need a complete overhaul of the economics if we want it to become a true sport in which the best consistently face the best again. Boxing fans make fun of UFC fighters for "only" needing ~$1m to risk their health and their status in the sport against true threats, but isn't it precisely because boxers get so horribly overpaid for relatively weak match-ups that they can't be bothered to challenge themselves any more? Mayweather and Pacquiao would've had no choice but to fight each other in 2009 under the UFC model. In reality, they were making tens of millions of dollars merely for dispatching fringe contenders like Ortiz and past-prime celebrity fighters like Margarito, so you can see why there was no urgency from either camp to put on a true 50-50 fight (on paper) with a strong potential for embarrassment.
>>
Both belong on /asp/
>>
>>66007676
trust me when something dies it is dead
>>
It's because most boxing fights are boring as fuck and always let people down
>>
>>66007433
>i never see the hype that UFC Fight nights get with boxing bouts
you mean /sp/? if you look at the real world then boxing generates way more hype, most people (at least in Germany) don't even know that UFC exists
>>
The whole idea that MMA will steal the show from boxing is stupid, what will happen is that both of them turn into obscurity together because the general public can't be assed to care about some random fighters that might fight 2 rounds after a year's wait.
>>
>>66007760
whoa there buddy, slow way down and take me through your process
>>
>>66007741
>Both belong on /asp/
At least MMA should go there. There are already a lot of Martial Arts and UFC threads on /asp/, why would they need two boards?
>>
>>66007760
All I mean is that it has to temporarily lose its place on primetime television, especially on the subscription channels like HBO and Showtime. That would squeeze most of the parasites out of the sport and leave it in prime position for someone to come and unify American boxing under one banner.
>>
>>65997375
Hasn't been since Lewis vs. Kitschko. Boxing lost what little legitimacy had after they called the fight for Lewis because of injury, despite Kitschko beating the absolute shit out of Lewis.
>>
>>66007914
Half of Klitscho's face was hanging off mate
>>
>>66007772
This.
>>
>>66007914

Vlad won like three rounds. By the end Lewis was kicking his ass.
>>
>>66007433
Most people outside the US only have a fleeting interest in UFC. I much prefer boxing personally. Although i see the draw in UFC i find it sometimes a bit boring. Just my opinion though
>>
>>66007778
i mean in general, atleast on social media amongst casuals. the last boxing match that received any kind of hype on social media (atleast from what i saw) was floyd vs pacqiao and that was like a year ago with the two GOATs of the current game (admittedly both past their prime - but the name is still there)
>>
>>66007914
lol literally nobody cared about that fight, boxing was ''dead'' before that. Try Tyson-Douglas
>>
>>66008268

This
>>
File: image.jpg (313 KB, 1203x1241) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
313 KB, 1203x1241
>All these other sport at threads

Is golf even a viable sport?
>>
>>66008378
True boxing fans would not just look toward the "big" fights as they tend to be overhyped. Joshua/Whyte was a great fight that probably never caused much more than a ripple in the states. Quigg/ Frampton was another
>>
>>66008439
fair enough. i assume the true boxing fans are also the ones that actually pay to watch the fights and don't just stream it. so if there are a lot more true boxing fans than i can see why boxing would generate more revenue
>>
>>66008439
Those are both big fights, QvF was not that great.
>>
>>66008604
Yeah maybe over here in the uk but you wouldnt get much publicity worldwide i meant. Just trying to point out you dont need to wait around for the greatest fighters to lock horns to see a great fight. Even though thats what most people do and assume all boxing is shit when it turns into a let down. I mean mcgregors last fight was over in less than 10 seconds was it not? Pretty dull in my eyes but just thinking out loud
>>
Boxing title belts are useless and usually made out of fake leather and spray-painted copper. Individual belts mean jackshit, you gotta collect them all to be the true champ but you know those motherfuckers will dodge you until the end of time and organizations are afraid their chump champs get exposed.

The UFC belt is made out of gold and pure angus beef leather. Having the belt actually means something, you're the undisputed best in the world.

STOCKTON MOTHERFUCKERS
>>
>>66007099
Bo Jackson and Deion
>>
>>65997375

Whats with the gloves in Rocky movies. They look like hard plastic, or that they're like 4oz
>>
>>66001141
This, holy shit.
I'm not even sure what the "Big One" in boxing is, can anyone tell me?
>>
Neither are a viable sport.
>>
it's fairly easy to "fix" boxing by keeping just the WBA and WBC belt. Even better, just WBC. And settle the whole sham with Al Haymon/HBO/Showtime/all that shit. It's gotten too complicated. Monopoly could in fact fix boxing.

The fighters and fights themselves aren't bad, people are just stupid and don't recognize skill for what it is or don't watch the right fights.
The problem lies in the business side of boxing, it's always been the biggest problem. Just make one belt and make all the idiots try to fight for it and force defenses without any ducks etc. And leave the fucking promotion to some TV channel and internet websites to just hype it up with highlights videos etc instead of doing this WWE shit
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.