[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why can't the English recognize great players when they see them?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3
File: michael carrick.jpg (48 KB, 620x413) Image search: [Google]
michael carrick.jpg
48 KB, 620x413
Why can't the English recognize great players when they see them?
>>
>english toni kroos
>good
>>
>>65927544
This comparison makes 0 sense
>>
>>65927544
>english busquets
>not good
>>
because muh gerrard and muh lampard
>>
>>65927520
age old problem t b h. in his heyday glenn hoddle was one of the most technically gifted players england ever produced, riquelme tier, but barely got a look in for england cos he didn't run around enough. we prefer effort over ability.
>>
carrick is easily in muh top 10 fav players
>>
That's not Drinkwater
>>
I've been reading Inverting the Pyramid and it seems that since the beginning of the game, the English have always believed that hard work, physicality and passion will defeat skill and tactics. This is why they are so far behind continental football.
>>
>le epic classy class man
>>
>>65927576
>americans
>>
>>65936841
he's right. Kroos and Carrick are very different players, only plebs who meme >le pass sideways men don't see it.

Carrick is much more like Busquets than Kroos. Kroos looks absolutely lost as a defensive midfielder at Madrid and that was Carrick's best position.
>>
>>65936841
He's right and you're retarded
>>
>>65927544
lol, I agree with >>65927576 but also Kroos is by far superior to any current English midfielder
>>
>>65936869
>Kroos looks absolutely lost as a defensive midfielder

that's the fuckin point though

kroos is equally, if not more lost on offense

just because he performed a meme role in the world cup is enough for madrid to buy him?

christ /sp/ is literally as clueless as them
>>
>>65927520
Carrick's a good player but he isn't great. As a defensive mid, he's too passive and is too much of a pussycat. Doesn't attack the ball well or ever get close enough to the ball carrier. So he's a bit shit if you want to press high up the pitch.

As a passer, again is good but not great. Doesn't have the range of say Xabi Alonso. But most importantly, he gets easily flustered and shits his pants when pressed. Nowhere near as good as Busquets in this aspect.
>>
Hoddle is massively underrated
>>
honestly never heard of this guy
>>
>>65927520

Because we're still upset that Hargreaves was forever broken and that Scholes quit international football, meaning we had to put up with Gerrard and Lampard for 10 years.

>English Goalkeeping
>A.Cole
>Terry
>Ferdinand
>Neville
>J.Cole
>Hargreaves
>Scholes
>Beckham
>Rooney
>Crouch/Owen

Smdhtbhf, still would've been btfo by Italy mind.
>>
>>65936869
>>65937726

>tf
>tt
>>
>Carrick is a DM
no. Hes just a watered down Scholes who can go missing. His defensive qualities aren't very good
>>
Busquets - great

Carrick - glib facsimile
>>
>>65941213
but he literally is a defensive midfielder, just not the angry, brutal Roy Keane type.

He's more of a Xabi Alonso type of DM with good positioning and anticipation skills and the ability to distribute the ball (although Carrick's passing range is nothing like Alonso's)
>>
>>65941276
>le square pass man

i cant recall carrick ever making a key tackle or pass in the past 4-5 years

he's never had it and certainly been past it for a long time
>>
>>65941220
you're a glib facsimile
>>
>>65939550
But Carrick is the best (proper) midfielder England has produced in the last ten years, other than Scholes.

That's the point.

England managers shoehorned Gerrard and Lampard into positions they had no business playing in.
>>
>>65941332
>le passing sideways is bad meme
literally the easiest way to spot a casual

>i cant recall carrick ever making a key tackle or pass in the past 4-5 years
He had the 7th most interceptions per game in the EPL just 2 years ago in 13/14. He was never a tackler (neither are Busquets/Alonso), he always relied on positioning and reading the game rather than energy and power. And players who play that deep in midfield don't play many "key passes", if you're going to judge the deepest midfield player on the amount of key passes he makes then you simply do not understand their role.

>he's never had it
objectively wrong, he was a fantastic midfielder in late 00s

>certainly been past it for a long time
well no shit, he's almost 35
>>
>>65941332
>i cant recall carrick ever making a key tackle or pass in the past 4-5 years
probably because you haven't watched football long then. You certainly dont seem to have a clue what youre talking about here
>>
>>65941332
Spotted the retard

https://youtu.be/Oc9uCI4mAEY
>>
>>65941332
3 years ago he had the most forward passes of any player in the top 5 leagues of Europe you knob.
>>
>>65941332
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOePbJgnjQo
>>
The only people who don't rate Carrick are total plebs who think a good midfielder is like Gerrard - running around like a headless chicken, trying to dribble past 3 players and scoring a random blooter from time to time
>>
>>65941562
So anyone who rates Gerrard is a pleb?
>>
>>65935389
How many world cups have you won familio?
>>
>>65941436
>>65941437
>>65941468
>>65941475
>>65941494

>le occasional hollywood pass man
>>
>>65939433
Kroos is closer to Xabi Alonso and neither of them are close to what Carrick you braindead tard.
>>
>>65939550
He doesn't need to always close down the ball, he closes down angles
>>
Carrick is liteally one of the memeiest overrated players ever. It's like everyone keeps trying to be contrarian but don't realise how silly they're looking.
>>
>>65941190
name 1 or more current english cms that are better than kroos

this will be laughable
>>
>kroos
If he was English no one would rate that overrated shitter
>>
>>65941855
But he's right. The EPL is a bully league, no wonder so few all time greats (if any) played there in their prime.
>>
File: muh carrick.png (471 KB, 540x485) Image search: [Google]
muh carrick.png
471 KB, 540x485
>>65941436
>7th
Mikel fucking Arteta beat him out in interceptions, tackles, touches, total passes and completion % that year.

Carrick is underrated but he's one of those underrated players with a rabid cult following who praise him way too highly.
>>
>>65943650
This proves that Arteta was the best midfielder in the Prem in 12-13
>>
>>65927544
>English Pogba
>>
Why is someone like Shawcross never used?
>>
>>65943558
That's why he was a Fergie favorite and has won everything under the sun.
>>
>>65943650
Arteta was great that year.
>>
>>65943823
I think the one time he played for England was the game Zlatan embarrassed the country.
>>
>>65943793
>>65943846
never said otherwise. Try telling it someone outside this thread though
>>
>>65943989
Short term memory is a problem on the internet
>>
File: 2172425038_0ee8560043.jpg (15 KB, 221x246) Image search: [Google]
2172425038_0ee8560043.jpg
15 KB, 221x246
>tfw played football with Kroos back in school
>he is a super star that most likely doesnt even remember me. I shitpost on a japanese image board
where did it all went wrong?
>>
>>65944047
You should've hung on to that coattail m8
>>
>>65944047
What was he like?
>>
>>65943558
Man United seemed to win an awful lot with 'meme' players.
>>
>>65944047
No talent, it's your parents fault.
>>
>>65944426
Carrick isn't a meme player but Fergie got more out of average players than any manager ever did. I don't know how he did it but he did. United won the league plenty of times despite only having the second or third best squad in the country.
>>
>>65944476
Yeah I'd agree.

He inspired a confidence in players and motivated them like no one else.
>>
>>65943572
Wilshere
Alli
Barkley
>>
>>65943017
are you illiterate?
>>
>>65943650
Check the stats for the year after. Most forward passes in the whole of Europe.
>>
>>65943650
what's that supposed to prove? Arteta was great a couple year ago
>>
>>65945455
They're not as good as Kroos but they're good players
>>
>>65946338
>They're not as good as Kroos

Kroos is trash though
>>
>>65946226
Carrick is not a playmaker nor is he a swashbuckling DM. His best defensive skills are off the ball and he rarely plays penetrating hollywood passes. He doesn't need to. So no, he is not like Xabi or Kroos
>>
>>65944047
You passed it forwards too much mate
>>
>>65946367
because he's played out of position
>>
>>65946367
Yea we're done.
>>
>>65946382
Right.. the only point on making is that Kroos is equally shit offensively and defensively. People say he's not Carrick because he's not nearly as competent defensively, but he's failed as an attacking mid as well.

He's literal shit and just another terrible World Cup meme purchase. Madrid has made too many of those of late.
>>
>>65944047
was he good as a kid?
>>
>>65946449
Kroos was the heart of the team that won the World Cup. If you think that is some how a fluke because of the way he's """""playing"""" in that """"""team"""""" known as real madrid that's on you.

My original concern was your comparing Carrick to either Kroos or Xabi. Carrick's primary job is to choke the opponent's midfield.
>>
>>65946449
>kroos was not good for Bayern/NT before the world cup
wew lad
>>
>>65946367
How is he trash? He doesn't even play badly. He's not used the way he should be (aka when they one the CL or when Jogi uses him). Just because modric outshines him doesn't mean he's trash.
Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.