[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yuros and other foreigners of /sp/ who are into the NFL, what
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3
File: 1422824274638.jpg (164 KB, 938x600) Image search: [Google]
1422824274638.jpg
164 KB, 938x600
Yuros and other foreigners of /sp/ who are into the NFL, what first got you into it?

Was there a specific play or moment where you thought "this is fucking awesome"?
Was it a game thread on /sp/?
What were your initial reactions to seeing/getting into the game?
What do you love about it compared to other sports?
What are your fellow countrymens reactions to you being into it?

Just curious as an americlap who enjoys the interesting perspectives in yuro NFL threads.
>>
>>65925762
Spent a year at Boise State, didn't care about football at all until I went to a viewing party for the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. Fucking ridiculously great experience I'll never forget, best in all sport I've ever had actually.

>tfw almost 10 years ago now ;_;
>>
>>65925762
>Play NFL Street 2
>Love it
>Watch NFL
>Hate it
You can't imagine how disappointed I was.
>>
>>65925762
>nfl
go fuck yourself wanker

>>65925902 (You)
you too
>>
NFL is almost impossible to follow, as it mostly happens between 1am and 6am here.
>>
>>65926516
>Early game kicks off 6pm
>Late game 10pm

Are you retarded frog?
>>
>>65926526
My dear Briteeth friend, most games start between 10pm and 11pm, and finish way after midnight. The late games start at 1 or 2am.

It's even worse for the NBA. I'd want to watch OKC vs Warriors tonight, but it'll start at fucking 4:30am
>>
>>65925762
>tried to get into it because I like rugby
>both sports share the same origins and have some similarities
>end up not finding what I liked in rugby in it
>stop watching
That said, I mentionned that there are more small teams being created arround here, and communicating more and more. Maybe it's going to become a niche thing.
>>
>>65926772
>My dear Briteeth friend, most games start between 10pm and 11pm, and finish way after midnight. The late games start at 1 or 2am.

No they don't. Most NFL games start at 1PM Eastern Time (6 PM GMT).
>>
>>65926772
This is literally wrong unless you get them on tape delay, in which case why the fuck aren't you streaming?
>>
File: didntread.webm (832 KB, 634x516) Image search: [Google]
didntread.webm
832 KB, 634x516
>>65925902
>>65926516
>>65926793
>I DON'T LIKE IT!!

>>65925762
>Yuros and other foreigners of /sp/ who are into the NFL, what first got you into it?
>who are into the NFL

>Yuropoors in charge of reading comprehension
>>
>>65926797
Being a UFC fan is suffering
>>
>>65926841
the low IQ really holds them down
>>
>>65925762

Dad has always watched it so I've followed it slightly, only started following it closely this year.

Initial reactions were that it was a bit boring but once I actually understood what was going on I realised its actually an incredibly entertaining sport. The potential for every single play being a big play is great compared to other sports.

Majority of friends think im being a hipster with it and that its shit, but they're jsut in the position i was before I got into it. I know a few tht also follow it.
>>
GF liked it
First game i watched(and didn't understand a think) was the Broncos(her team) getting BTFO in the owl(
Start watching next season
was open to liking a diferent team but it didn't happen
2 years later >i'm world champion
feels good
>>
A friend of mine introduced me to the NFL showing me footage of the uni years and first few NFL games highlights of Adrian Peterson. I've been following all vikes games ever since and became kind of a foreign fan. Needless to say it's been suffering, but at least I can't be tagged as a glory hunter.
Plus I actually have vikings ancestors so that helps.
>>
>>65925762
First I liked rugby more, but some of the great forward plays in NFL really started being appealing to me. Now I like Murican Football more.
>>
>>65926797
>>65926824

but France is GMT+1 or +2

just look at this: http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2015/10/2/9436801/nfl-schedule-2015-week-4-time-tv-coverage-radio-streaming

half the games start at 4:30pm or later, which means 10:30pm in GMT+1 (and will end around 1am)
2 games start at 8:30pm, which means 1:30am in GMT+1

OK, "most" was an overstatement, but still, approximately half of the games are scheduled at times that make them unwatchable in Europe.
>>
I watched the super bowl once, it was the Steelers vs Seahawks and I loved it. For me it's pure entertainment so I don't compare to other sports like most people do.

I came to like it more and more and now I have a league pass. Always had a thing for Detroit so I'm a lions fan. Only teams I dislike are the Cowboys and the other NFC North teams when it gets tight in the division. Other than that I don't like it when teams are too strong but the NFL has a way with balancing itself out so that's something I really like. Just look at the Chiefs or Panthers. Pretty soon I can even see the Jags make a good playoff run.

I also like the American-ness. They also show NFL matches on Dutch tv but I simply can't bare it that way. I want shitty nationwide adds and flamboyant ex-WRs screaming at me at half time. I want jets flying over. I want goofy ass dances when the defence pushes the other team back a yard or so. As long as the NFL has that I'll enjoy myself.
>>
>>65927074
>Out of 14 games, 2 (T W O) are the late prime time games

>10.30pm games are unwatchable

What sort of pussy are you?
>>
>>65927110
Just look at the last superbowl.
Cam Newton was a first round pick and Von Miller was a second.
There is no league like the NFL
>>
>>65927110
>The american-ness

I make a point of finding American streams over the Sky Sports streams
>>
I started watching it because I wanted to give it a try. Chose the Lions to support because someone said they always have rollercoaster seasons. During my first season I just read up on rules & postitions. During my second season I learned more about the history of the team and other teams, during my third season I finally understood what was going on and now, after my fourth season, I'm getting into tactics and the chess match behind it. Just finished 'Take your eye off the ball'. If only there was more all 22 camera angles on tv (stream).

Oh another good thing is that the Lions are generally terrible, so there are few prime time games, so as a Yuro I can watch them
>>
>>65927215
>I make a point of finding American streams over the Sky Sports streams

The full American feed shits all over the Sky Sports one.
>>
Couple of friends already were into it, I watched a few games, like it, got Madden, now I'm obsessed
>>
I had a contrarian friend in high school (2007) who hated everything popular just to be different (not a hipster though) so he picked up Egghand. I also started watching it just so we had something to talk about when we were in class together. Eventually I actually grew to like it but ive always had quite a few issues with the game. The pandering to the fans over competitive integrity and the complete lack of technical skill are the two big ones but its still worth watching.
>>
>>65927228
lol yeah this is true. Also I just love cracking open a beer on sunday evening and just watching redzone till im sleepy

hello fellow lionsbroer
>>
>>65927622

Mijn Leeuwenbroeder

I became a wageslave before last season started, so unfortunately it's just the early games for me now. Considering taking a couple Mondays off around the playoffs
>>
>>65925762
I like watching niggers run into others niggers
>when I was 8 in Florida (13 years ago) my dad said I should pick an nfl team to support and he would buy me their shirt. Picked the patriots because I thought the logo looked cool and have been bandwagoning ever since
>>
>>65927851
but that's not bandwagoning
being a kid and liking shiny colors is literally the most legit way to pick a team other than being born into a family team
>>
>>65927110
You honestly enjoy the NFL better than most Americans
>>
>>65927551
>the complete lack of technical skill

Mind explaining this one? Every position player has overly specific technical skills. Players routinely refine their footwork in their tenth year playing.
>>
>>65928074
Well complete lack of is major hyperbole. Its just that when you see a play everyone loses their shit over, im never in awe the same way I am when I see the equivalent in a soccer match because the skills demonstrated don't feel equal.

Lets take the aaron rodgers last minute hail mary as an example, sure it was incredibly entertaining but it still didn't feel all that impressive because all hes really done is thrown an ergonomic egg into a wide open field covered by 2 people.
>>
wanker go fuck yourself
>>
Good friend of mine went to study a year in the US. Started watching with him once he returned and still do every Sunday.
>>
>>65925762
>what first got you into it?
Im a homosexual cuckold fetishist who loves adverts.
>>
>>65928797
calm down mohammad
>>
I played it for a year at uni, and thought it was pretty fun. I'm not massively into the NFL though
>>
File: handegg-playing-time.png (59 KB, 600x339) Image search: [Google]
handegg-playing-time.png
59 KB, 600x339
>>65925762
I've watched a couple of NFL games since I played rugby for a while

Pic related, which is not a meme btw, makes it physically impossible for me to get into it.

I like your Ice Hockey though
>>
Madden and Tom Brady
>>
Yuro immigrant here, it was Madden and the occassional playoff game on German TV back in the 90s.
>>
Madden 2003

I can't watch the games live though, it's too insufferable, see >>65930681

If I watch them (basically only superball/playoffs) I just record them and watch them later.

Fewer sports have a worse viewing experience than egghand but I still like the concept of the game and appreciate the tactics and strategy involved which is why I watch it.
>>
>>65930681
It is a meme. There's always at least 5 minutes of actual playtime per quarter, and that's a massive undersell.
>>
>>65930681
It's a meme when you consider the fact that presnap alignments are part of game action as well. I know football isn't for everyone though and completely understand why certain people find it unappealing.
>>
>>65930979
I've always felt like the total playing time doesn't reach 20 minutes from the games I've watched. I wouldn't say 11 or 13 minutes though by anyway, it's just not there.

I wouldn't mind seeing a NFL game edited to be 50% playing time and 50% shots of interesting replay angles and tactical views + a few ads, for a total of a 50 minute experience.
>>
>>65931038
This. The game isn't just between the snap and the whistle.
>>
>>65931095
NFL network airs condensed games during the week after they air. They're 20 some minutes minus commercials. Great way to keep an eye on all the teams.
>>
Even when you cut all of the commercials the total air time is around 2 and a half hours. See this for example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5roQ31EnO8

>inb4 replays, introductions, etc

Those exist in other sports as well.
>>
>>65931095

thats how i watch nfl games

i dont watch live because i too hate commercials

no problem with shots of players standing around though, because i played football and i know that time is quite eventful, you are thinking about the play before and the play that is about to occur, going over likely strategies, etc
>>
>>65928706
Hail Mary's aren't suposed to be a show of skill.
And they aren't.
Only normies really like hail marys.
They are the equivalent of a team having to cross the ball over and over into the box trying to get a lucky header.
>>
>>65925762
/sp/, watched and shitposted on the superbowl thread a couple of seasons ago.
>>
>>65930681
It's pretty easy to do that for soccer too.
50% ball off the field
30% "pointless" laterals
10% failed attempt of action
10% action
Its just that the pre snap is basically the equivalent of the laterals.
>>
>>65931311
Pretty much. Hail Mary is by definition 50% arm strength and 50% pure luck.
>>
>>65930681

>muh action

90 percent of the average dive grass game is just aimlessly batting the ball back and forth
>>
>>65930681
I'm pretty sure that graph is based on the super bowl alone. regular season games are packed full of action
>>
>>65931347
Yeah this, I watched rugby a bit and I expected a lot more action from how badly American football looks when compared to it. There was stuff happening but really exciting stuff was few and far between. I get the mechanics of it but it really just seemed like football without formations and bigger guys all around.
>>
>>65932561
I dont talk about rugby because i watched like 1 game from the world cup.
It seems the slower of the 3.
>scrum
>ball out of scrum
>get 1 yard
>scrum
>repeat 5 times
>10 yard run
to put the cherry on top the underdog lost because of a questionable call from the refs.
I think it was a semifinal,All blacks against Argentina,maybe ?
>>
The Tebow meme.

Been watching since.
>>
>>65930681
Those 11 minutes of action are x100 more entertaining than dive grass and rugby combined
>>
>>65928706
The real skill is in positions and things that casuals don't notice namely; offensive and defensive line, defensive secondary, every part of receiving other than catching the ball
>>
Bump for interest in foreigners
>>
>>65932634
Reminded me of an old classic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqIrm4H9-7I
>>
I'm interested in this
>>
>>65925762
I wouldn't discover this awesome sport if it weren't for /sp/. I just kept seeing all the handegg threads while browsing /sp/ in the morning, the way murricans were talking about it (discussing epic plays, intra-division banter, etc) made me want to try and get into it. The summer before that I tried the same with baseball and didn't like it one bit, so I wasn't sure if it's worth the time at first, but then went through with it. Watched a whole series of videos explaining the rules of the game, then, when I had a good idea of what the sport is about, watched a Steelers-Bengals game and realised that this cola-slurping sport is totally for me. Now I almost like it more than soccer, a sport that I grew up watching and playing. I liked the Steelers initially (and I still kind of do), but now I'm a Browns fan, so can't root for a rival.
>>
How are niggers so good at football? It's complex as fuck. Just thinking about all the different plays that pre-snap movement XY could indicate (unless they're faking it) makes my head hurt.

Sawker is more straightforward but of course there's something very enjoyable about watching a Peterson run or Megatron catch.
>>
>>65930681
I was annoyed by them too at first, but then I realised that you can use commercial breaks to shitpost on spee, check out the other scores if it's a 1PM EST game, grab something from the fridge, take a shit without missing any gameplay. In soccerball you may miss a goal or a crucial moment if you get too caught up in 4chins or sit on the shitter for too long.
However, watching NFL on the phone is a living hell: you either have to go to 4chan on commercials, reload the player every single time you return and possible miss something imporant, or don't go to 4chan and sit hrough all the fucking ads.
>>
I became interested with madden. Chose > Busc as my team and they went to win the Owl not long after

After that, I started to really follow the game in all of its facets (strategies, draft, free agency, economic aspects like the salary cap etc.)
>>
>>65940872
Maybe you have been spending too much time at /pol/. Of course there have been some idiot hood trash gangbangers in the league, but they never stay for too long (Michael Vick's brother, Rae Carruth etc). Most black players aren't stupider than white ones.
>>
>>65940872
For the most part football defines these people. Also, only a select few really completely understand the tactics. Often times you Will see MLBs tell other players what's about to happen or and communicating blocks. A lot of that complication is taken out by a few players leading the team and calling out where they want audibles, pressure or coverage respectively.
>>
>>65925762
Started watching it in like 2010 to fill the NRL offseason , had watched the owl in previous years but didn't understand what the fuck was going on. Is now my second favourite sport and I wake up at 4am every Monday and sit on my NEET ass and watch from then until about 2pm. The ads are still a bit of a drag, but watching the games live is worth that detriment. Particularly enjoy the amount of upsets that happen every week and teams coming out of nowhere (like last years Panthers). There aren't really many certainties other than the Patriots winning and the Jaguars and Titans being shit.
>>
>>65926965
SKOL
>>
Growing up I was a huge sports fan in general, so i knew some of the rules (points, downs etc), and the sport had a good amount of exposure due to Morten Andersen getting the record. But i had never watched a game until one night in 07 when i tuned in to a monday night game between Cowboys-Bills. There was 5 minutes left to go and I was absolutely clueless because it had 2-point conversion, onside kick recovered and an iced kick. Anyway, I found the sport much more interesting because each team has much more of an identity than in Europe and the playoff system is much better than a round-robin type season.
2007 was a pretty good year in general to start watching because of 16-0, AP's single game record, Vick going to jail, Favres all time records and Giants playoff run
>>
>>65940814
This shit brought a tear to my eye
>>
>>65925762

Tom Bradt
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.