[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/curry/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2
I'd like to have a serious discussion with the Americans, and the other NBA fans that wonder how to stop Curry. It's fairly obvious he's a great player, is lethal from range, and is consistent; in other words he's hard to stop.

In football, using Leicester as an example, they automatically at the start of the game go in rough on the opposition players, the threats, Leicester vs Chelsea for example, no end of tackles went in on Hazard with the intention of harming his mentality and making him think twice about going in to 50/50s, (he went off after about 30 minutes) theres countless examples of football teams targeting players for the point of stopping them.

But in Basketball, high scoring games, quick possessions, big focus on offensive plays with little thought to how to stop individuals; is there something teams can do to exploit GSW especially Curry to prevent him scoring from deep, and making that many shots?

I'm not talking about double team, or tight marking, i'm talking about rough foul play on Curry, on his ankle, on his wrists, on his hand, anything that would in the first few possessions of him having the ball; make his night a misery.
>>
And is this any different than coaches intentionally targeting centres with poor FT percentages.
>>
basketball is a far less rough game than soccer, regardless of how much americans like to call soccer a sport "for pussies". Barely touching your opponent's hand is a foul.
>>
>>65876053
I mean, yeah. Picking him up at half court is a start, but slipping a foot under him while he shoots a jumper or killing him if he drives is a good way to get in his head a bit
>>
>>65876270
And not even touching your opponent is a foul in soccer with proper acting.
>>
>>65876297
Same in basketball desu
>>
>>65876281
>>65876270
I understand this, but coaches have one/two players they don't even use every game sitting on the bench.

Would putting them on for 2 minutes to tactically harm Curry not benefit them in the long run? bash him down on a drive, stand on his ankle, push him over. The technical fouls won't make a difference in high scoring games like the warriors, especially when they hit so well on their percentages.
>>
Trail Blazers proved how to beat the Warriors. Curry is the least important player to defend, the rest of the team is what needs to be shut down. Curry is the GOAT shooter but he still only makes half of his shots, when his other threats (Klay, Dray, Iggy, Barnes, Bogut) are missing their shots, Curry is not enough to carry the team. When the Blazers btfo the Warriors a week ago, Curry still scored like 40 points, but the rest of his shooters combined for like 15 points on 30% shooting.

tl;dr let Curry take his shots and focus locking down the rest of the team
>>
The punishment for fouling in basketball is more severe than in football. 98% of free kicks amount to nothing and if you foul smart you will rarely get booked.

In basketball, you're pretty much giving him a free 2/3 points when you foul him. And if you want to get really rough you're risking flagrants, extra free throws and instant ejections.
>>
>>65876363
>tl;dr let Curry take his shots and focus locking down the rest of the team
t. Steph Curry wanting to obliterate the single game 3s record
>>
>>65876363
Same thing happened last year iirc vs the Jazz, Curry still scored 30+, the rest stuttered and the Jazz won. Defence triumphed over offence.
>>
>>65876379
The two points + possession is nothing in basketball though. Most games are won or lost in the final 7 minutes of play.
>>
>>65876281
Westbrook tried this during the last game. Curry had to go ice his ankle for like 5 min. Didn't work though, in fact it only just pissed him off... He came back and dropped like 20 points afterward including the game winner.
>>
>>65876053

stopping curry is actually quite simple, but you need the right personal to do it

look at the teams that beaten them, portland, detroit, mil, dallas

all tough teams with long good shooting sf/pfs who spread the floor on offensive, and a dynamic guard who makes curry work on the other end. in addition, each of these teams have a bruiser who's sole purpose is to knock curry to the ground if he steps inside the 3 point line

then it's up to the guy guarding curry to pick him up 3/4 the whole game, play him tight, he'll be afraid to drive if he knows he's going to get clobbered

tldr; knock this little faggot to the ground until he pussys out
>>
Hard fouls without being flagrant. Curry is glass and he'll break.
>>
>>65876467

thunder barely lost, and if it weren't for that phantom call at the end of regulation (when has that EVER been called? I have never seen a foul called so late except in this game, rigged as fuck), they would have had a win

fuck silver and his cronies
>>
>>65876379
This is the best option, but it won't always be like this. Very rarely do the rest of the Warriors play that badly. As a dubs fan who has watched them almost every game the rest of the team can be just as deadly. Green and Klay can each drop 25 on you if you focus too much on Steph.

Also, Sean Livingston plays knockout off the bench making Kobe like jumpers all the time.

I'm also kind of glad we lost that game. The boys needed some humility and a reminder that anyone can beat anyone on a good/bad night. Also Kerr probably studied that game looking for a solution.
>>
>>65876363
>let curry take his shots

GENIUS
E
N
I
U
S
>>
>>65876522
That was playing at their absolute best though, and they still barely held on despite leading the whole game. Most of the other warriors weren't playing that well so it gave Steph a unique opportunity to shine.

Also, really rigged? Iggy never makes the clutch free throws... Luck man.
>>
>>65876352
Because the league can't let that happen. Teams would just draft random goons to kill superstars and superstars are what brings in fans. First game of the season, every star would die, then the rest of the year would suck
>>
>>65876467
And if Westbrook fucked his ankle again?

Warriors would have lost
>>
>>65876053
Play physical defense, but the league really doesn't allow that anymore. If a player hacks the shit out of him (which would have been a common occurrence in the past) they're likely to get tossed from the game.
>>
>>65876053
So what you're saying is. Theres no way to actually beat him. Instead admit to yourself that you wont ever be as skilled as him and just proceed to physically damage him as much as possible. Basically act like the punk bitch that you are.
>>
>>65877080
Outside shooters aren't even allowed to be touched now. It makes defense impossible. Basketball used to have some physicality, but it's been bastardized. It'd be like hockey removing checking, makes it only fit for women.
>>
Test m8
>>
You can't stop him, the man solved basketball.

The only thing you can do now is hope Silver removes the 3-point line, i.e. enjoy watching Curry winning 7 straight championships.
>>
>>65877164
This meme makes no fucking sense. You're telling me that despite being possibly the best shooter of all time, being an extremely charismatic figure for his team, and having excellent game sense and handles that Curry's success is the result of the NBA getting "soft"?

Re-tar-ded
>>
>>65876616

???

and the warriors were playing at their best too, think curry's going to hit 11 three pointers or whatever he did again next time they play????
>>
>>65879087
If everyone else is not playing well yea. You should really read the fivethirtyeight article on Steph that came out in December. I would link but I'm mobilefag right now. Also, the recent article that describes the ex-Cav coming to the Warriors and describing just how different they play. Teammates are willing to pass up good shots for great shots.

Ok here:
http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/stephen-curry-is-the-revolution/

http://www.businessinsider.com/anderson-varejao-cant-stop-gushing-over-golden-state-warriors-2016-2
>>
>>65876363
This, the pistons shrekt them the same way
>>
>>65879029
>You're telling me
No, it sounds like you have reading comprehension issues, because I didn't say any of that. The question was how do you stop Curry. The answer is, with today's rules, you can't, but if you really believe actually, you know, being able to guard him physically on the perimeter wouldn't be more successful than not being able to touch him or do anything to him, then you're re-tar-ded.
>>
File: image.png (2 MB, 750x1334) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2 MB, 750x1334
Don't mind me, just admiring the GOAT.
>>
>>65876053
Only way to stop Curry is to pay some hood nigga to knee cap him. If he embarrasses the Cavs in the finals again, I wouldn't put it past Lebron to hire someone to do it.
>>
>>65876053
The Warriors have two weaknesses: size and field goal attempts.

>need guys that can post up and hit free throws to avoid "hack a shaq"
>need to convert missed shots in fast break
>>
>>65876270
bullshit
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uajKYDrb5rM
>>
>>65882603

why is adams so smug?
>>
>>65876352
I've thought about this a lot actually and would 100% employ this tactic. The Miami Heat have done this with Udonis Haslem in the past, and I'd love to see them do it to Lebron in the playoffs
>>
>>65876506
If Curry is glass, he must be a crystal glass harder than diamond because those ankles don't break. :D
>>
>>65876363
>when his other threats (Klay, Dray, Iggy, Barnes, Bogut) are missing their shots, Curry is not enough to carry the team
>literally just hit 12 threes against a superior team and BTFO /nba/
>>
Didn't based Dellevadova do this in the finals series
Just roughed the fuck out of him

Only problem was he used up all his energy and then Curry just destroyed them the nxt few games
>>
>>65885806
CAN'T BELLY THE DELLY
>>
>It's like the entire 09-11 Saints team got together in one thread and thought about how it could apply in basketball.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.