[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So most people where I live have no idea who Ronaldo or Messi
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 8
File: yank-fan-dejection-jpg.jpg (35 KB, 635x453) Image search: [Google]
yank-fan-dejection-jpg.jpg
35 KB, 635x453
So most people where I live have no idea who Ronaldo or Messi are. And to be honest I didn't till I started coming to /sp/

Is it like that in other parts of America or am I alone?
>>
le born in the wrong region
>>
>>65813937
Most people I know think the NY Yankees caps are just New York caps, and not at all in relation to the Yankees
>>
>>65813968
I am legitimately curious why this stuff is. It's like some North Korea tier censorship propaganda
>>
The only soccer players most Americans know are Pele, Beckham, Hope Solo and Alex Morgan
>>
>>65813999
most people dont know what the Yankees is.
>>
>>65814170
Yes but the fact that they are multi billion dollar corporations is why I find it so strange

Like how Ronaldo has 200 million twitter followers yet is virtually unknown in the states

They say athletes in soccer like to vacation in America because they aren't harassed. Same with American athletes in Europe
Video related

https://youtu.be/n7NmaA79CHg
>>
>>65813999
I have two ny yankees caps and a few minutes ago I wouldn't have been able to tell you if it was a football or baseball team tbqh
>>
>>65814307
Than why wear it you filthy mediterranean
>>
a lot of people here know who they are
>>
>>65814363
Where is here?
>>
>>65814373
cleveland
>>
>>65813968
>>65814170
this is true
>>65813999
it just proves jay z was right t.bh
>>
>>65814401
Interesting
>>
>>65814342
I only wear them if I have to leave the house in an emergency and haven't showered yet. I call it 'doing an amerifat'
>>
I had no idea who Tom Brady was before I saw Ted 2 and I had no he's who the guy with the big forehead was but apparantly they're really big handegg players in the US. People here only know some basket ballers like Michael Jordan because of the shoes.
>>
well, I don't know any baseball, hockey and football player
>>
>>65814430
I just find it so strange. Guess it's all about advertising. My parents had no idea Beckham was a soccer player.
>>
>>65814373
Throw in Nebraska with that response as well. Soccer isn't popular here in omaha but that's just how it is in the US. However a lot of people here know the big names Messi, tsu, ibrahimovich, Neymar, Rooney, etc. But that's more due to the large Hispanic population here and foriegn exchange students who go to UNO and Creighton.
>>
people know the clubs like raiders, ny yankees and boston bruins, the red indians one, just because it is a brand.

Tom Brady is "Giselle's husband" and we only know about Anderson Varejão in NBA, and how Tiago Splitter was the first brazillian to the win the championship(is that how you guys call it?the finals i guess)
>>
>>65814446
Nobody is interested in handegg here, only hipsters. Same goes with soccah in the US. I hope it stays this way though.
>>
>>65814477
It's funny cause here David Beckham is Posh Spices husband. My ex gf legitimately would say she made him famous when I'd bring him up
>>
>>65814405
you should know i bleed blue
>>
>>65814477
>we
Speak for yourself, favelinho. The only place where people don't know basic sports culture and has Globo as their only source of information is the favela you live in.
>>
File: B0BCfo8IEAE5Whv.jpg (7 KB, 316x202) Image search: [Google]
B0BCfo8IEAE5Whv.jpg
7 KB, 316x202
>tfw lacrosse is more popular than soccer and basketball where I live

How do I fix this?
>>
Certain basketball teams (Dallas Mavericks, Chicago Bulls, LA Lakers) as well as players (Dirk Nowitzki, Kobe Bryant, Michael Jordan, Dennis Rodman) are generally known here, but the other three major American sports (handegg, ice hockey, baseball) are really obscure here.
For handegg you can at least say that people know the Super Bowl (but the few who actually watch it, are mainly doing it for the half-time show, at least that's what the news are here about the next day)

Also, this >>65813968 is also true here.
I myself had a Yankees cap when I was younger and always thought it would just stand for "New York"
Only years after I realized it was actually in relation to a baseball team.
>>
>>65813999
Because no one cares about your shit sports
>>
All I knew about American sports before visiting /sp/

>Handegg: pretty much nothing except the fact that the Superbowl is played and it's a massive event. Didn't know about the existence of Tom Brady, 18-1, the Patriots or anything handegg related until I visited this board.
>Baseball: Yankees, Red Sox (because of that shit film), Babe Ruth, "World" Series. That's about it. Don't know much more now either. In fact, just found out about the "you got a no-no going" LSD story yesterday by chance.
>Basket: Jordan, Magic Johnson, LeBron, Kobe Bryant, Tim Duncan, The Beard dude, Carmelo (?)... something?Chicago Bulls, LA Lakers, SA Spurs, Miami Heat, Argie players that play there (Ginobili, Scola etc). That's it.
>>
>>65814517
Why would you complain about not having to hear about the NBA?
>>
>tfw mexicans know about all sports but cricket and hockey
>tfw we are mediocre in all of them
>>
>>65814638
you guys even know prep stick aka lacrosse?
>>
>>65814593
Explain no one in America or Canada knows about soccer
>>
File: messi_american sports icon.jpg (71 KB, 451x461) Image search: [Google]
messi_american sports icon.jpg
71 KB, 451x461
>>65814660
If that's true, how do you explain this?
>>
>>65814700
>mfw i literally have no idea who the last person is

there's something about baseball uniforms that make them look all interchangeable
>>
>>65814724
It's Pedroia, and I have no idea why he was ever considered top-ten in American Sports
>>
>>65814750
AL MVP, multiple gold gloves, massive part of 2 world series winning teams
>>
>>65814363
Everybody in Toronto knows who Messi and Ronaldo are. Probably because of the makeup of the city. I'd be shocked if a 18-49 male didn't know who those two are.
>>
>>65814765
Top-ten in baseball probably, not in sports
>>
I knew ronaldo but had no idea who messi was before /sp/ was created. I dont even know why I knew who he was, I've never seen either of them play before.
>>
>>65814765
*most undeserved MVP in history
*Fenway babby
>>
>All of you casuals revealing your sports ignorance

Shameful. If you can't list 10 players in each major sport, you're a faggot and were raised wrong.
>>
>>65813937
A lot of Americans will probably say, "that name sounds really familiar aren't they a famous soccer player/painter?"

We've seen brief glimpses from general sports news but nothing in great detail unless you actually watch the game.
>>
>>65813937
who's this seaman deemom?
>>
>>65814866
--> >>65814700
>>
>>65814373
/sp/
>>
Not even kidding when I've seen plenty of hicks all around the country with messi shirts, when it's spread to that crowd you know it's strong
>>
>>65814879
Makes sense, I know soccer is huge on the West coast and with hipster faggots trying to emulate the Euro experience.

Lived on the East coast my entire life, there's a hardwired loathing of Europe installed at birth so that might explain why.
>>
>>65814700
mexicans
>>
>>65814700
>e!spn
comfirmed for shit
>>
I know Yankees, Red Sox and Mets since forever for some reason.Also Babe Ruth and A Rod.
>>
>>65814700
Mexicans
>>
>>65815021
when I hear A Rod I think about the tennis player first
>>
I live in the Toronto area and absolutely NO ONE who hasn't immigrated in the last five years could tell you who Messi is. Ronaldo had some ads, so maybe a few women could tell you who he was, but in general soccer is considered a pretty third-tier sport here.
>>
>>65814773
>>65815145
who's lying?
>>
File: image.jpg (224 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224 KB, 640x400
>>65813937

>New Jork
>doesn't know who messi is

Nice try troll ass OP. Messi is in every electronic section and game store in America. Right next to John Madden and NBA 2k
>>
>>65815362
Well, I dated a grill from Toronto who didn't know who either were. Couldn't name soccer play names. Could rattle off some hockey players but that's about it.
Not indicative of anything but just personal anecdote to add.
>>
>>65815362
There's a small, tightly-knit fanbase around Toronto's faggy MLS team that barely gets more than 15 seconds of coverage at the end of a highlights package. So the first guy was probably one of those scarf-wearing, Go-Train taking Nancies.

In general Canadians only enjoy soccer as a way of advertising their meaningless and distant European heritage.
>>
It actually surprises me when I meet people who literally don't know anything or care about soccer at all.

Obviously since I like soccer the majority of my friends at least know a little, but I'd say the majority of guys in the 21-27 age range know little or nothing about soccer.

Also most American soccer knowledge comes from FIFA or the WC every 4 years, so it's always way outdated lel
>>
File: G6Z6-pqT.jpg (18 KB, 277x277) Image search: [Google]
G6Z6-pqT.jpg
18 KB, 277x277
>>65813937
I thought Messi was a hocky player about 2 weeks ago. Read a whole thread about him and I guess his wife...thought he was a hockyfag the whole time.
>>
File: downloadfile.png (76 KB, 297x317) Image search: [Google]
downloadfile.png
76 KB, 297x317
Does anyone outside of australia know who this is?
>>
>>65815404
I dont know anyone who owns fifa

Why do yuros get so booty flustered when Americans say that their athletes are literal whos in America. We dont care that you don't know our athletes
>>
>>65815526
No, desu. The only rugby player I know is Jared Hayne(?), the washout from the 49rs.
>>
I live ina a major city so messi and ronaldo would be recognized more than anonymous nigger number 3 from the giants or jets
>>
>>65815526
Looks like that meme gay guy from that gay meme where the guy says he tears his weiner when jerking
>>
>>65815561
Transplant scum. Manhattan and Brooklyn are filled with disgusting transplants. If you weren't born in NYC you cant rep it
>>
>>65815584
>>65815535
please watch our sports
>>
>>65815604
>from New Jersey
>le transplant scum!

yeah, ok
>>
>>65815606
Australia Office of Tourism and Culture intern pls go
>>
>>65815606
How should I start?
>>
>>65815604
The fuck are you talking about, i used giants/jets cause lord knows no one gives a fuck about the knicks these days
>>
>>65815526
oh, Download File, yeah I've heard of him
>>
>>65815633
Jesus man, have you ever even been within 100 miles of New Jersey? It's nothing but immigrants and transplants too pathetic to afford NYC rent.
>>
>>65815633
>the swamp dweller thinks hes a new yorker

Lel
>>
>>65815705
You've probably only been to north jersey.

We keep the immigrants in sections. The white towns are 100% white here but there are 100% Mexican or Indian towns the town over
>>
>>65813937
No, literally all of my friends know who Messi and Ronaldo is, be insecure about american sports relevance elsewhere
>>
>>65815532

Too busy sucking Lebron James cock I bet.

Nobody cares about Clevelands opinion on anything. Or Ohio for that matter.

If you don't know who messi is then you're a caged animal
>>
>>65815753
Ya and all my friends know who the death grips are but we dont speak for the whole of America who is obviously not into soccer or the death grips
>>
>>65814265
How do you yuroboo Americans explain this video
>>
>>65813937
I think 2 of my friends know who they are. That reminds me, i need to rsvp to their gay wedding.
>>
>>65815972
Lel
>>
>>65814265
why is this video so great
>>
never heard of either until I came to /sp/ and saw walls of text that said MESSI
>>
>>65815972
He he
>>
>>65813968
dated a british girl. She owned a yankee's cap and didn't even know that there were letters in the logo. She just thought it was a popular symbol or something.
>>
>>65816905
Yuros are so obsessed with looking like Americans that they will wear things we wear even if they have no idea what it mean.

Pretty funny
>>
What soccer team is it with the logo of the two girls sitting back to back? I see mexicans wearing it all the time
>>
>>65814068
>Hope Solo and Alex Morgan

you'd best be trolling, Jezebel
>>
File: messi.jpg (128 KB, 1600x893) Image search: [Google]
messi.jpg
128 KB, 1600x893
>>65813999
It's a completely different country far across the sea, and it doesn't play, follow, or care about baseball. Why would they know who the Yankees are? Especially those old enough to have grown up mainly without internet?
You know how hard it would have been for an Englishman to follow baseball pre-Internet?

>>65814265
>Like how Ronaldo has 200 million twitter followers yet is virtually unknown in the states
>virtually unknown in the states

That's completely ridiculous...I thought. Then I googled:

FORBES:
"Messi was known by less than 20% of U.S. consumers as of March 2012, according to the Marketing Arm. His awareness scores are on par with Texas Rangers’ pitcher Yu Darvish, Dallas Mavericks guard O.J. Mayo and ESPN personality Trey Wingo.

Ronaldo is at 30% and similar to college football’s Steve Spurrier, retired golfer Gary Player and soccer star Abby Wambach."

LOLOLOL OMG
MFW you guys are really in a world of your own, I guess.
>>
>>65817624
Soccer is considered a womans sport here and the USAs womens team are like the best in the world. They are very well known here. They are the only female athletes most people know
>>
>>65815526
that's the cut inside man
>>
Post You didnt know

> I didnt know what xgames was before this year since it is held in Oslo.
> I didnt know that New York Rangers existed before our media started reporting on Zuccarello.
> I dindt know what superbowl was untill 3 years ago. At first I thought it was a super special bowling event since americans like bowling so much.
> I didnt know KHL existed until high school
> I didnt know who Kevin Durant was before lil b dissed him
> I didnt know who Curry was before my lebron bandwagoner friend hated on him.
> I didnt know the World Cup in football for women existed before i came to /sp/
>>
>>65817788

>I never knew the Tennessee Titans were a real NFL team until this Superbowl
>I never knew Jason Kidd actually won a ring until 2 months ago
>I never knew that Australians played any other sports than water polo until i visited /sp/
>I never knew that England was relevant in soccer until I watched Flushed Away
>>
>>65818035
>I never knew that England was relevant in soccer until I watched Flushed Away

You thought it was a mexican sport?
>>
>>65818058
yeah
>>
>>65817788
>never knew any soccer players besides Pele until I learned David Beckham played soccer like 4 years ago
>the the the "Beckham" in "Bend it like Beckham" was some Indian god (never watched the movie)
>never knew the EPL or any of these other leagues existed before /sp/
>didn't know how soccer worked at all
>didn't know that cricket was a British sport till like 5 years ago thought it was an Indian sport

I like soccer now. Fan of Swansea
>>
>>65818070
I find this funny that alot of americans probably think that mexico is some football powerhouse. I mean a country with 120 million people and they have never been past the quarter finals in the WC. And it is their primary sport also.

Even >we have won against them in the world cup (1994).
>>
>>65817788
I still don't know anything about Australian sports. Whats NRL? What AFL? How are they different than rugby
>>
>>65814265
>be messi
>be autistic
>go to Disney
>no one tries to talk to you or touch you

An autist dream vacation
>>
>>65813963
underrated
>>
>>65818285

Messi married his childhood sweetheart, have you ever even held a girl's hand who wasn't your cashier?
>>
>>65818455
My mom's
>>
>>65818489
NICE

You fucking REKT that faggot
>>
I have never heard anyone ever talk about divegrass here (aside from a token section on the news), it's beautiful
>>
>>65814517
Move out of Maryland
>>
>>65818564
I always just figured soccer was your guys main sport.
>>
>>65814517
that doesn't sound like a very bad thing really
>>
>>65818618
lol no
it's only practically the wog and arab population
>>
>>65818644
Poor brown people love soccer everywhere I guess
>>
>>65813937
Who gives a fuck about soccer? And I mean people that matter and aren't a melanistic drain on the planet living in a favela.
>>
Don't international soccer stars deliberately vacation here just because nobody knows them, and they can just be anonymous and relax?
>>
>>65814517
You're telling me lacrosse is actually relevant to people who aren't currently playing it in high school/college?
>>
>>65813937

Yes, it's like that in most of the US. Only about 1/3 of Americans actually know who Ronaldo is,even fewer know about Messi. Even in areas like Miami, where half the people speak Spanish and Barca/Real shirts are everywhere, a lot of people don't know who they are. The most famous soccer player in America by far is David Beckham, but only for his underwear commercials.
>>
>>65818751

Yes. Messi was just walking around Blizzard Beach (at Disney) a few years ago, and nobody bothered him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7NmaA79CHg

The only guy who seemed to recognize him was the Arab tourist who took this video. It's kind of amazing.
>>
>>65814517
tell them MLS has better attendance than the NHL or NBA.

inb4 ticket prices, I actually checked it out and MLS tickets on average are not cheaper than NBA and NHL.
>>
>>65814659
>prep stick
fuck off with your hipster terms for our national sport.
>>
>>65817715
spurrier is only 30 percent? he's quite the meme here in the south
>>
>>65818841

MLS plays in bigger stadiums. The biggest NBA arena has a capacity of 21,000, while the biggest MLS stadium has a capacity of 40,000 (67,000, technically, but they usually close off the upper deck).
>>
>>65818832
that must be nice for him
>>
>>65817715
>>65818865

Is Spurrier a freshman or something? I've never heard of him.
>>
>>65815442
>>65815362
Nah, I don't follow MLS, and barely follow soccer other than the Euros and WC. Almost all males 18-49 in the GTA know who they are I'd guess. White trash hicks from Barrie, Oshawa, Sarnia, and all those other irrelevant shitholes probably only follow the Leafs, but they don't count.
>>
>>65817788
>Post You didnt know

Well, I don't know what I don't know, so... I don't know.

Seriously, I'm middle-aged so I haven't learned anything new about sports in a long time.
>>
>>65818151
>the the the

Spit it out

>I like soccer now. Fan of Swansea

Fucking hipwagoners
>>
>>65818564
That surprises me actually, I thought you faggots went nuts for that shit.

>>65818618
Me too.
>>
>>65818841
They are nowhere near as popular as the NHL or NBA here, not even close. NFL, even though we don't have a team, is still way more popular.
>>
>>65815606
please shitpost more i miss it
>>
>>65813968
The first time I saw Sox caps I read sex on them and was disgusted at how degenerated society has become.
>>
>>65815526
nigger I'm from queensland and I barely know who he is
>>
>>65813937
Not at all fampai. I've lived all over the US of A and the majority of people don't follow soccer, especially the international game. I can only guess this is because we have so much other shit competing for our attention.

I would watch/follow/play all of the following before soccer

Hockey
Basketball
Football
Baseball
Ping pong
Tennis
Track and Field
Strongman

I'm not saying I think all these thing are better than soccer, I'm just trying to point out how much shit I'd have to get through before I even considered soccer. And even after all that, I'd probably try watching the Impact or some other MLS club before looking at international stuff
>>
>>65813968
This is true. I always had known because I'm autistic enough to know more about these little details about American sports than 99% percent of the country, but it was obvious not everybody knew about the Yankees.

In fact, some people who did knew about the Yankees, didn't even realize that the Yankees was a sports team. They just thought it was like some kind of slogan. Or they didn't know what sport the Yankees were active in.

It's just as bad with the Chicago Bulls and Jordans. I've had people tell me they thought the Bulls as a sports team was either owned by Jordan, the basketballer, or a subsidiary clothling line that falls under the Jordan-umbrella. As in, they didn't even know about Michael Jordan and his career, they thought Jordan was just a sports company. And that's it.
>>
>>65814265
It's like Bollywood. You know how they always say that Bollywood is in a way bigger than Hollywood, because so many people are interested in it, or something of that nature, but none of us know a damn thing about it, because we aren't Steph Curry? Well, they're big in their own world only, but it has a shit load of people in it. The reach they have is obviously non-existent though.
>>
I always knew a lot about soccer cause I played it instead of one of the big 4
>>
Who are the Londoners who go to the NFL games there? Hipsters?
>>
File: Kappa.jpg (78 KB, 900x688) Image search: [Google]
Kappa.jpg
78 KB, 900x688
>>65817608
Do you mean this?
It's an Italian sportswear brand, relatively popular in Europe and Central/South America; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kappa_(company)#Sponsorships.
>>
>>65824371
Ya that's it. Always wondered what that was. Never knew how to Google it
>>
>>65813937
I knew who is was from seeing segments about him while waiting for espn to show NFL scores. Don't really care for him because meh don't like soccer.
Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.