[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can anyone explain why handegg players are so bad at tackling
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11
File: 1706887-36136143-2560-1440.jpg (36 KB, 700x393) Image search: [Google]
1706887-36136143-2560-1440.jpg
36 KB, 700x393
Can anyone explain why handegg players are so bad at tackling compared to rugby players? Whenever I watch american football all defence players seem to tackle stupidly high which is such an ineffective way of stopping a player and a lot of the time takes several men to stop the ball carrier rather than in rugby where one well placed low tackle at the knees can completely stop any player of any size or strength. Anyone got a decent explanation of why this is?
>>
because the person they are trying to tackle is a far superior athlete to anyone a rugby player is trying to tackle.
>>
>>65429835

>amerilad memeball

>10 seconds of play

>40 seconds of chill

>superior rugby eggball idk fuck off

>80 minutes of sustained physical play
>>
Because American football is a game were every inch counts. They hit them high to try and stpp them dead.
>>
Because inches matter

Throwing yourself around like a cannonball might be horrible form but it's worth it if you can stop the other player from advancing the ball
>>
Because in rugby 90% of the time you are tackling someone running straight at you from a standing start

In handegg they are coming at you from different angles at full speed and have teammates blocking for them
>>
You're supposed to tackle around the waist and then slide down to the legs if needed.
Rugby player's generally play the sport from a young age and don't wear pads so good tackling form is taught to protect the tackler and to stop the ball carrier.
There are many laws around tackling in rugby so players have to be able to do it properly.
>>
File: WE.webm (2 MB, 718x404) Image search: [Google]
WE.webm
2 MB, 718x404
>>65429835
Lardasses aren't athletes

>>65429993
>>65430000
>>65430024
If they can hit them high, they can hit them low. It's much more effective. Retarded as fuck arguments.
>>
>>65430000
Fair enough still would've thought that combing sheer power with good technique would be more effective but I hardly watch football at all so the fuck do I know
>>
>>65430164
Hitting them low still gives them the opportunity to stretch out with the ball and make extra yards after contact
>>
TELL DE TROOF
>>
File: images-22.jpg (30 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
images-22.jpg
30 KB, 443x332
Based Ma'a
>>
>>65430164

What are you talking about, they do hit them low all the time. They don't wrap them up like in rugby because it simply would not be effective.
>>
>>65430164
If they hit a player low then the guy can use all of his forward momentum to fall forward for 1-2 extra yards, if not more. Such an argument isn't retarded.
>>
>>65429936
>physical play
>Hugging hugging and more hugging
>>
>>65430164
>be a rugby faggot
>try to go low
>get leapfrogged and turned into a meme
>>
>>65429936
>implying anyone can sustain maximum effort for 80 minutes.

yeah, nah. either they slack off for the first 78 minutes, or they wear themselves out in the first 2.

or (correct answer) they dog it the whole game.
>>
>>65430280
A correct rugby tackle, driving in with the shoulder, will stop the runner, and if the defender is strong enough, which he should be, drive him backwards. Next argument.
>>
Low tackles are becoming increasingly risky in rugby union with the amount of off loads occuring.
>>
>>65429727
The NFL and most top college teams are now filled with niggers more concerned with knocking the ever-loving fuck out of the ballcarrier with high hits, than actually learning how to form tackle. That way they can still celebrate after giving up like 13 yards on one play, and they maximize their chances of getting on SportsCenter and social media.
>>
There's a lot of rules about what a legal tackle is in football.
>>
>>65430403
>driving in with the shoulder
that's an arm tackle, you'd just bounce off the runner and right on into the end zone
>>
>>65430398
Modern rugby players run 10km+ per game. Know your stuff.
>>
>>65430403
>driving with the shoulder, at the knees
>imblig giganiggas won't easily jump over
>>
>>65430447
I bet (You) don't.
>>
>>65430403
What part of "They don't contact the upper body so the upper body momentum of the ball carrier will enable him to fall forward for extra yards" are you not understanding here? It's basic physics and inertia, all that shit. Hell I don't even know if yards are measured in rugby, but evidently American football places a much higher premium on preventing the ballcarrier from gaining extra yards.
>>
File: images-15.jpg (22 KB, 511x288) Image search: [Google]
images-15.jpg
22 KB, 511x288
The notorious exhibition Rubgy League match between Brisbane Broncos (Aus) and Denver Broncos (USA), in 1993, ended after just 32 minutes after some of the Denver players accused the Brisbane team of playing unnecessarily rough and refused to continue play. The accusations were labelled as "rubbish" by the Brisbane captain, Allan Langer, who went on to explain that "It was supposed to be an exhibition [match], but the Americans started making disrespectful comments, trying to say they were tougher - then it turned into a proper game".

The referee for the match, Greg McCallum, said afterwards that "Although a few tackles were a bit thunderous, there was nothing illegal", and went on to say that "..Both sides were giving as good as they got so I was surprised when the visitors [Denver Broncos] refused to play on, it was a real shame".

The score before the match was abandoned was Brisbane 34 - 3 Denver.
>>
>>65430541
He's not getting paid with a free full scholarship or tens of millions of dollars per year. "Next argument."
>>
>>65430398
This just shows how fat you are.
I was blow away by how much and how hard the effort is required in rugby after trying it.

Handegg doesnt even qualify as a sport when compared.
>>
>>65430514
Shoulder in at waist actually. Again, know your stuff.
>>
>>65430769
Are all New Zealanders this cucked by the much more relevant country of Australia?
>>
>>65429727
Uhh, downfield blocking? Something rugby players know fuckall about. Dodging a lead-block and making an open field tackle is not easy, especially when you wear pads that enable you to run full speed the entire time, and not really worry about shattering your collarbone on every carry.
>>
File: nothing.jpg (9 KB, 220x180) Image search: [Google]
nothing.jpg
9 KB, 220x180
>>65430769
>>
>>65430778
The fuck you on about.
>>
File: cl.png (108 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108 KB, 228x221
>>65430398
>10 km
>80 min
>7.5 kph
>being impressed by jogging

and you claim american are fat and lazy
>>
>>65430832
With pads you stand just as good a chance of simply bouncing off the tackler than getting driven into the ground. Just the way it is.
>>
>>65430832
oh, what the FUCK, then
because nfl players tackle like that all the time
wut r u on abt m8
>>
>>65430945
meant for >>65430480
>>
>>65430164

The lardasses arent the one carrying the ball.
>>
>all these (You)s from ass-ravaged apoplectic Americans
Truly glorious.
>>
>>65430769
>professional rugby players are beating professional football players by a wide margin
>would never suit up and play football players at their own game
>wouldn't bitch about things being illegal when they weren't, because they don't fucking know the rules
>would quit as well if shit got that bad
>lol, dumb pussy football players, not knowing they were being penalized for high hits, as opposed to hard hits
>dumb americans, not playing rugby your whole life and not knowing the rules
>>
>>65430902
>presents a scenario between two trained American football players which usually happens multiple times per game
>w-w-w-well I m-mean (You) personally c-couldn't do it so I win the argument hahahahahahaha
Yeah, no shit. You being Captain Obvious doesn't win any points for your favorite sport which is actually quite different from American football, despite what you might think.
>>
>>65430972
First valid point. Kudos.
>>
>>65431125
Holy shit calm down mate.
>>
>>65430480

Modern rugby players are the size of division 2 college football payers and would be carted off the field on stretchers trying to play in the nfl. Let's be real, if they had crazy physical power they would go to the nfl and make tens of milions.l vs their niche sport. Note the number of Samoans going into the nfl...they bolt as soon as they are good enough.
>>
File: cymru.jpg (327 KB, 1936x1227) Image search: [Google]
cymru.jpg
327 KB, 1936x1227
Who is the best northern hemisphere team at the moment, and why is it Wales?
>>
>>65431253
>fighting for world #5 spot
>>
>>65431202
Perfectly calm. You, on the other hand, don't seem to know how to argue things, and would rather lob personal insults at other people making valid points. Learn a thing or two about this sport you don't understand, and then maybe you can start trying to troll people about it.
>>
>>65431358
You're not perfectly calm. The tone of your posts makes that perfectly obvious. Some random porkchop questioned your favourite sport and by default, your masculinity and you're all mad about it. Its OK man, happens here all the time.
>doesn't know anything about NFL
No shit Sherlock.
>>
>>65429727
>example of good rugby tackling
>posts Nonu and not based Conrad
>>
>>65431312
4th right now on World Rugby. So we are officially the best northern hemisphere team. Okay that doesn't mean very much to a Kiwi but for us it's pretty cool

Cymru am byth and all that.
>>
>>65429727

because our sport is stupid and we are unathletic

that's what you were looking for right? now go away
>>
>>65431358
This.

You want to mock handegg? Don't mock the pads, the rest periods, and the commercialization. Mock the bullshit rules like the rest of us. Defenseless receiver? The faggot shouldn't be allowed to put himself in such a compromising position to make a catch with impunity.

Or the protected QB rule. Fucking trash.

But uselessly throwing out tired arguments for "the sake of bantz" is fucking gay.
>>
>>65431553
>posts retarded shit
>gets told
>l-lol u m-mad fush n chups brew

>some random porkchop
Stop pretending there's another retarded Kiwi in here, thanks
>>
>>65431715
Just joshing m8, we always support Wales and Scotland.
>>
>>65431211
>rugby players train and bulk themselves for the needs of the sport they play, ie. not overloading on the bulk because you don't get to rest every 10 seconds and need the endurance to potentially keep running for 5-10 minutes while also tackling

NFLel athletes (sans the small ones built solely for running) would similarly struggle to keep up with rugby players

Any argument attempting to compare the athletes of two different sports with different specific physical requirements is automatically shithouse. NFL players aren't massive because of magical american powers, they're massive because they tried to become massive. If rugby players needed to become massive just for the sake of being big guys they would do it just as easily. Case in point, all the south african rugby players who aren't backs
>>
>>65431211
Well to be fair both sports demand different things. Most nfl players couldn't keep up endurance wise with the pace of a rugby game
>>
>>65431715
> ranked 4th
> can't make the final 4 in the World Cup
>>
>>65429727
i'm sure someone already answered. but in rugby you have to bind to the guy, and you're responsible for the guy you're tackling. In ameriacn football you just take the fucker out using all available force.
>>
>>65431914
We were massacred by injuries. I bet we would have done much better with our key players fit.
>>
File: 1370706986734.gif (2 MB, 235x240) Image search: [Google]
1370706986734.gif
2 MB, 235x240
>>65431865
>>65431880
>>
>>65431810
Seriously mate, settledown, you're wasting your time when upu should be watching the buildup. Porkschop is Portuguese. You can't tell others to learn something and keep posting ignorant drivel. Its embarrassing. Enjoy the game.
>>
>>65431880
based valid points guy
>>
>>65431996
Probably not, your best players are overrated.
>>
>>65431865
/thread
>>
File: Conrad+Smith+XZouj7H7BJVm.jpg (18 KB, 360x240) Image search: [Google]
Conrad+Smith+XZouj7H7BJVm.jpg
18 KB, 360x240
Suprisingly good thread senpai
>>
>>65431996
Strewth m8 he's just taking the piss
Everyone knows Wales did well considering they were down to using le seizure man
No northern hemisphere team really had any chance of making it to the finals, thanks to good old Jewbear
>>
This the first thread i've ever made, I should do this more often
>>
>>65432552
TYBJ
>>
>>65430164
Nervegrass?
>>
>>65432648
She's a beaut.

So lads, I'm watching Super bowl right now, how much actual football will I see before the cricket starts at 2?
>>
>>65430000
>because inches matter
What your mum told me la.
>>
>tfw the Hayne train completely crashes the 2016-17 NFL season with no survivors
>>
>>65432156
Got nothing? Cool. What's embarrassing is you having to samefag this much.
>>
>in 2012, Australian Rules Footballer Jonathan Brown made jokes on Australian radio that NFL players were 'girly' for wearing excessive padding during games
>Members of the NFL community challenged Browns claims, inviting him to test his strength against real NFL players
>Brown managed to clear an entire NFL field on his own with no injuries despite being up against an entire defensive line-up
>Brown had injured 4 players, and despite wanting to go again, was denied the chance because NFL insurers feared more of their players would be injured
>>
>>65432885
>he's still going
kek KEK
>>
>>65430649
Literally the yards thing, there's no chains to move just 6 tackles in league and men fucking each others arse in union, we only aim to push back on the goal line in league because the yard makes a huge difference, whereas it's more efficient and harder to break through a tackle round the legs compared to trying to hit the upper body
>>
>>65432778
Still have to do the anthem, start a war, inject manning and pray.
>>
>>65432552
I do fucking hate seizure man, I was so happy when he was taken off today against Ireland

He missed like all of his kicks, then they brought on Rhys Priestland and he starts bossing it straight away

If they kept Biggar on we probably would have lost t.b.h.
>>
>>65432885
>got nothing?
Holy fuck I didn't know BSAs got this aggro. Hilarious stuff.
>>
>>65432914

>>65432914

>>65432914
>>
I wouldn't say bad, but it does have a different aim.

In football the aim is to stop the player dead.
In rugby you're trying to get the ball back and stop an offload (lateral pass out of contact). You do see the Football style tackles, but they're risky because players are getting increasingly better at offloading out of the tackle.
>>
>>65433006
Yeah none of that made sense. This Americans vs. Yuros bullshit regarding American football is unbelievably tiresome and shit, they are different sports entirely so I wish you would all just get the fuck over it.

Actually watch some American football once and see for yourself why tackling low doesn't work if you want to minimize extra yards being gained.
>>
>>65433528
We're LITERALLY trying to watch it now buy its just guys chewing gum and military staff marching around.
>>
>>65433528
>getting this mad on the biggest day of your entire year
>>
>>65433507
Finally somebody gets it. What's funny is if you had been posting under an American proxy you'd be getting memed to death.

>>65433714
>what is youtube
>>
oh my god rugby is so boring. I tried but it's the soccer of contact sports.
>hug, lateral, fall down, repeat
also how can you even have favorite rugby players? each team has 20 players so no one even can stand out.
>>
>>65434598
>each team has 20 players so no one even can stand out
>literally 80 people on your average NFL team
>>
>>65434766
yeah but you have actual different roles you can tell the difference. rugby everyone has the same exact role. people might not notice a center or tackle but WR, QB, RB, TE, etc...
>>
File: kPSwO6Z.png (365 KB, 546x618) Image search: [Google]
kPSwO6Z.png
365 KB, 546x618
>>65435020
>rugby everyone has the same exact role
>>
>>65429727
in american football there is a thing called blocking. this is most effective against the first line of defense thereby giving the ball carrier more time and room to accelerate and make the defender take a bad angle. also nfl players are faster and more agile in general. in both rugby and football it's easy to take down a ball carrier that is going sideways. it's called momentum or lack thereof.
>>
>>65435020
Rugby's player roles seem more defined than footballs by far
>>
>>65434081
>>65434598
>>65435020
Top effing lel.
Cheers lads.
>>
chop blocks are against the rules OP
>>
>>65431865

Oh I absolutely agree different physical requirements lead to different athlete types. But reading the LOL PADS stuff is pretty hilarious considering the world's best rugby athlete would get murdered playing in the nfl. Lack of pads and doing gang tackles doesn't mean those guys are supermen. They play a totally different sport. Again, if there was any chance of cross sport skills they would bolt in a heartbeat to go make mega bux playing in the nfl.
>>
>>65430398
Kek. Shut your fucking mouth before I rip your tongue out kid. You don't have a clue of what you're talking about.

Maybe if you actually watched the game instead of being a cocksucking motherfucking butthugging worthless ignorant fat tub of lard AMERICUNT, you wouldn't post something this stupid. Who the fuck do you think you are posting this drivel?

>b-b-b-b-but le athletic superiority

Shut the fuck up you fucking cunt and don't you ever share this opinion near me. NFL will NEVER be on the same level as rugby, and if you think otherwise, reddit is >>>/that/ way
>>
File: 585453-jonathan-brown.jpg (32 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
585453-jonathan-brown.jpg
32 KB, 650x366
>>65432887

Come on dude, do you really believe this shit? Then why would he not go to the nfl and make 10m a year as a receiver or rb? Oh wait, because he's as athletic as an nfl kicker. Hahah wtf
>>
>>65435020
This is bait.

Do NOT respond to it.
>>
Why don't rugby players ever just leap over the gain line like that?
Thread replies: 99
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.