[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How good was he?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5
How good was he?
>>
overrated shit
>>
>>65118321
almost as good as scholes
>>
Somewhere in between Kane and Vardy.
>>
arguably the best of his era
>>
>>65118321
Better than me.
>>
>>65118321
5/7
>>
>>65118321
All his goals were in the shitty Brazilian league. Completely overrated.
>>
File: Clinton-Pele-Dance.jpg (392 KB, 1000x724) Image search: [Google]
Clinton-Pele-Dance.jpg
392 KB, 1000x724
>>65118321
The literal, non-ironic GOAT. All who disagree are just edgy teens.
>>
I didn't see him play,you didn't see him play,no one here saw him play.
My grandfather says he is the best player in history,though he thinks Maradona had more skills.
He also says Messi might pass both of them.
>>
Played in a babby era. Eusebio was just as good if not better, but he wasn't an attention whore.
>>
>>65118744
>>65118756
My grandfather also says he is a piece of shit of a person.
But Messi doesn't seem much better anyway,just has more people telling him how to behave,donating in his name.
>>
>>65118637
Well, except for all those goals he scored while winning three World Cups.
>>
>>65118321
bretty gud
>>
>>65118756
I'm 114 years old and Puskas was better than all of them pham
>>
>>65118744
>tfw those kids in the background are the current brazilian /sp/ shitposters
>>
>>65118321
Better than anything Europe can produce
>>
"My name is Ronald Reagan, I’m the President of the United States of America. But you don’t need to introduce yourself, because everyone knows who Pelé is."
>>
File: Pelé vs Beckenbauer.webm (374 KB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
Pelé vs Beckenbauer.webm
374 KB, 854x480
In relative terms, the most dominant player ever, playing in the best league of his era.

In absolute terms, greatest player from the invention of football until Maradona, with all the evolution in skills, preparation, fitness and training between them.
>>
Should have won 4 World Cups if they didn't beat the shit out of him and Feola didn't bring a has-been drunk and broken Garrincha in 1966.
>>
meme tier
>>
>>65119022
- detailed carreer statistics - 767 goals in 831 official matches - www.rsssf.com/players/prolific.html

- 15min-worth dribbling skills compilation - http://youtu.be/953rOfQ8Y0w

- 7min-worth dribbling and passing skills compilation - http://youtu.be/zReaS2M6zho

- pele's santos record against european teams of the time - http://forums.bigsoccer.com/threads/pele-s-santos-vs-european-clubs-statistical-overview.157423/

- pele vs messi - http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/messi-is-better-than-maradona-but-maybe-not-pele/

>“I can be a new Di Stefano, but I can’t be a new Pelé. He is the one that goes beyond the limits of logic.”
Cruyff

>"Pele is the greatest player of all time. He reigned supreme for 20 years. All the others - Diego Maradona, Johan Cruyff, Michel Platini - rank beneath him. There's no one to compare with Pele."
Beckenbauer

>"Pele was the most complete player I've ever seen, he had everything. Two good feet. Magic in the air. Quick. Powerful. Could beat people with skill. Could outrun people. Only 5 ft 8 in tall, yet he seemed a giant of an athlete on the pitch. Perfect balance and impossible vision. He was the greatest because he could do anything and everything on a football pitch. I remember Saldhana the coach being asked by a Brazilian journalist who was the best goalkeeper in his squad. He said Pele. The man could play in any position."
Moore

>"Question:-Best player you ever saw? -AF: Pelé, di Stefano, Maradona, Cruyff. -Q:In that order? -AF: Yes, I think so."
Sir Alex Ferguson:

>"There's Pele the man, and then Pele the player. And to play like Pele is to play like God."
Platini

>"Pele played in an era which had so many great players and in that atmosphere he stood out above the others. He was the complete player in every aspect as well as being a kind human being. Cristiano Ronaldo is young yet, and has many years ahead of himself. But as of now, I do not see anyone who can compare with Pele"
Eusebio
>>
>>65119189
Fuck off with these stats. Ronaldo has godly stats and everybody knows they don't means shit.
>>
>the black firmino

he was ok i guess

>>65112615
>>
File: 1453313425925.jpg (394 KB, 1024x1411) Image search: [Google]
1453313425925.jpg
394 KB, 1024x1411
20 years old
>>
>>65118815
>tfw they are all dead
>>
>ranking Pele
>>
shit

just like all pre-87-ish players really
>>
>>65119432

shut the fuck up
>>
>>65118637
The Brazilian league was the first league to have dietary regimes for its players etc, back then it wasn't a >literally hue league
>>
meme player
>>
He was the best after Zico and Maradona.
>>
>>65119022

west germany gets BLACKED.webm
>>
>>65118321

Your mum's thighs are still shaking. That's how good.
>>
>1958, lucky teenager goals
>1962, barely even played
>1970, carried by jairzinho and socrates

didn't even get a medal for 1962 until 30 years later when FIFA realized that a coke addict was becoming the GOAT.

literally the only reason Pele gets any recognition is because he went to play for the Cosmos, and new york was the center of all media at the time. Brilliant marketing move.
>>
>>65118744
this.
>>
>>65121781
>socrates
>1970

topkek amerilards
>>
>>65121781
So how the fuck do you explain all these legends >>65119232, you know, people that actually played with Pele, or saw him play, say he was the best?

I swear to God sometimes I think 4chan is the dumbest place on the internet
>>
Best of his generation. I think it's silly to compare players across era's, and to call Pele shit because he's not up to the standards of 50 years after his time is retarded.
>>
>>65118362

Good post
>>
>>65122299

Yeah but this is utter bullshit. IF he was around now he'd be conditioned and coached to today's standards and would still, by logical extension, be as good now as he was then.
>>
>>65122125
What came before is always better than what came after.
Schumacher was a better driver than Senna, but faggots will defend Senna to death just because he came early.
>>
>>65122125

BECAUSE PEOPLE OPEN THEIR FUCKING MOUTHS ABOUT ANYONE

DO YOU WANT ME TO PULL OUT SOME QUOTES ABOUT ADU OR OODERGAARD OR ANYTHING OTHER PIECE OF SHIT PLAYER? BECAUSE I PROMISE I CAN FIND SOME "LEGEND" SAY SOMETHING NICE ABOUT SOMEONE WITHOUT MUCH TROUBLE.

HOW ABOUT ALL THE PEOPLE DICKSUCKING BOJAN AFTER HE BROKE MESSI'S YOUTH RECORD? WHAT IS HE DOING NOW?

>Sir Isaac Newton: " George Best is the most dominant player I have ever seen"

must be true

jesus christ you guys got cucked by the media so fucking hard.
not even informed brazilians think pele is the best. even garrincha has more praise for that kiddy fucker.
>>
Overrated hack who played against sunday league-tier players and lost his virginity to a boy.
>>
>>65122484
>this mad
>>
>>65122484
Not only everything about your post is wrong

>not even informed brazilians think pele is the best. even garrincha has more praise for that kiddy fucker.
Untrue.

The only brazilians who rate Garrincha higher are Botafogo supporters and the ones who can only see the flashy, fancy dribbles and miss how much more complete and efficient Pelé was - the same kind of people who rate Denílson, Robinho, Ganso, Kerlon and the likes. Garrincha was very, very good, top 5 of his era, but not anywhere close to Pelé.

Also
>falling for argentine media bait
>>
File: 1453142482572.png (664 KB, 1208x723) Image search: [Google]
1453142482572.png
664 KB, 1208x723
>mfw Pele went to Spain to play against Real Madrid and Di Stefano blew him the fuck out with 5 goals to 3
>>
>>65122484

Pelé's Santos cucked Garrincha's Botafogo for a decade.
>>
>>65122621
>yfw even DiStefano and other Real Madrid players won't deny Pelé was the better player

>"The best player ever? Pele. Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo are both great players with specific qualities, but Pele was better,"
Alfredo DiStefano

>"The greatest player in history was Di Stefano. I refuse to classify Pele as a player. He was above that.”
Ferenc Puskas
>>
>>65122680
>r-really g-guys, players were way better back when I used to play hehe, I could have been more successful but they were just so good, yeah...
>>
>>65118793
first world cup he was young as fuck and didnt play much and his last world cup he was injured and old as fuck. he had a team that carried him to two world cups and he was only a legitimate player in one of them
>>
>>65122813
>didnt play much

he didn't play the group stage, which was 2 games.
>>
>>65122813
>>65122484
>>65121781

mentally impaired samefag
seriously, if you know fuckall about history, just don't post.
>>
Considering all the legends of the game rated him immensely, you have to give him high praise.
Never seen him play outside of clips and a few games though, so I'm not in any position to judge
>>
>>65122813
>amerikeks
You literaly know nothing.

Brazil played poorly in the first 2 games in 58 EXACTLY because Pele and Garrincha didn't play since the coach decided they were too young. You can watch the Final vs Sweden and see for yourself that not only Pelé scored 3 world-class goals, he was also the best player on the pitch as far as movements, passing and skills go. Pelé was already the best player in the world by 59-60.

And in 70 he was literally chosen the best player of the tournament. Jairzinho won the golden boot by feeding off Pelé's assists and defense-sponge. He played so well 45 years later even the chances he MISSED are famous.

Not that you'd know, you're just a memelord spouting opinions you've been told, but who hasn't watched a single full game of an old WC.
>>
>>65118637
Brazilian league was one the best leagues in the world up until the 80s.
>>
>>65122926
did you watch a single game of the world up in 1958?
>>
>>65122488
>salty Mestizo detected
>>
>>65122980
They're all easily available in torrents and even youtube. 58, 62, 70, 82, I watched them all, and so should anybody.

>you haven't
Hahaha oh wow.
>>
>>65123017
That's bullshit. They weren't all filmed or distributed nationally.
>ITT: a bunch of bullshitters talking about a Subway spokesman none of them were around to watch in the context in which he should be evaluated
>>
>>65119340

fantastic image.
>>
>>65124279
>damage control

>literally admitting that you have no clue what you're talking about
>>
>>65118637
The best leagues have historically been the argie and the hue leagues. That is before europeans started buying all of our players.
>>
>>65124279
I posted earlier,my grandpa saw him play.
He says Pele is the best ever,Messi might be challenging him and Maradona had more skills.
>>
>>65118321
noone knows
>>
>>65122680
Ocasional reminder that Di Stefano was mental when he said those things, about to marry a gold-digger, in a wheel-chair. with his family proving that he was medically almost braind-dead and, what is worst, affiliated to Halal
>>
>>65124279
>amerikeks pt. III

Every single match of the 58 world cup is fully available on the internet.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about.
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.