[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The great debate.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 20
File: english midfielders.jpg (152 KB, 803x640) Image search: [Google]
english midfielders.jpg
152 KB, 803x640
The great debate.
>>
only correct order:

le made up quotes man > slippy g > lamptard > dog poop > beckham
>>
Lampard > Scholes > Beckham > Stevie
>>
Alli
>>
All inferior to the goat premiership centre mids Vieira and Keane.
>>
>3 central midfielders and a winger
>>
>>65099175
>wide midfielders were wingers

worst meme
>>
File: Thanks Alli.png (206 KB, 573x341) Image search: [Google]
Thanks Alli.png
206 KB, 573x341
>>65098924
>Alli

https://vine.co/v/iMdHUDippZw
>>
Beckham is underrated
>>
>>65098831
this desu
>>
Actual GOAT midfielders like Xavi, Redondo, Rivaldo, Laudrup, Ronaldinho, Iniesta > Le Made Up Quotes man 2.0 00s > Le Made Up Quotes Man 90s > prime SlippyG > Manure Beckham > Lampard >> Halal Beckham > shit > PSG/My Little Soccer Beckham >>> JUST retire already 10s SlippyG >>>> irrelevant AND shit > MlelS Beckham > MlelS Frankie/Slippy G
>>
>>65098810
good post
>>
Scholes was cucked so hard in national team that he left it while being 29, and then played next ten years for club only
>>
>>65099394

Literally the worst meme on /sp/ by underage faggots.

Scholes played centre mid for England between 1997 and 2003. He only played on the left during the Euro 2004 qualifiers and tournament

The reality is that Scholes was always as disappointing for England as Gerrard and Lampard.
>>
>>65099316
horrible post
>>
>>65099316
I can't read this crap, temper the memespeak.
>>
>>65099442
The reality is, England are fucking shit and there's no way that one man can save that massive steaming pile of shit, not Scholes and therefore CERTAINLY NOT Lampard, Gerrard, Rooney or whoever the fuck.

It'd take a genuinely top class manager, with top class support from the under 10s all the way up to the first team and hands-on interaction between all of these factions for a period of at least 10 years.
>>
Scholes > Slippy > Beckham > Lampard
>>
>>65099514
>hands on interaction with 10 year olds

fucking paedo cunt hope u die
>>
>>65098767
>'midfielders'

By that logic, Zidane and Mascherano played the same position.

As did Bergkamp and Makelele.
>>
File: BsDaP7zIgAAd8E2.jpg-orig.jpg (13 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
BsDaP7zIgAAd8E2.jpg-orig.jpg
13 KB, 300x300
>>65099514

Mou could do it. But you keep hiring people like Hodgson instead.
>>
>>65099514

I don't dispute that, the coaching in this country and priorities in terms of development are all wrong.

But Scholes wasn't wronged by England. He got his go, he wasn't good enough and Gerrard and Lampard were on the up. It was the right thing to do. That was my counter to Russian anon.
>>
Scholes >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Lampard > Gerrard

Beckham wasn't a central midfielder f.a.m.
>>
File: 5Pmxv.jpg (665 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
5Pmxv.jpg
665 KB, 2048x1536
>Scholes was underrated
>>
Scholes > Gerrard > Lampard > Beckham

You have to be a blinkered ABU crybaby to deny that Scholes is one of the GOAT English players and definitely the best of the past 20 or so years. I'm not even a United fan but the fact that Messi, Xavi and Iniesta actually had an argument over who got to swap shirts with him in the Champions League final in 2011 speaks volumes. Then there's Pirlo and Zidane who have called him one of the best. I'd say they know more about what makes a good midfielder than most people.

Gerrard in his prime was undeniably an immense player and obviously world class, but not Scholes tier. Lampard was one of the best players in the Premier League about ten years ago but was never one of the all time greats. Beckham worked hard but was never world class. He had good looks and was in the press a lot due to marrying a world famous singer when Fergie's United were in their prime = brand name.
>>
>>65099560
>hiring English people for English jobs

Way it should be.
>>
File: Oscar_Tabarez_Uruguay_Coach.jpg (31 KB, 640x442) Image search: [Google]
Oscar_Tabarez_Uruguay_Coach.jpg
31 KB, 640x442
>>65099514
>It'd take a genuinely top class manager, with top class support from the under 10s all the way up to the first team and hands-on interaction between all of these factions for a period of at least 10 years.
That shit doesn't work if the clubs aren't in on it too.
If the clubs just do their own shit while developing players with no regards towards a standarized way of understanding and playing football then the youth NT coaches end up having to lose much more time fixing that and having less time to actually put it all into practice.
We've tried that shit here for a decade but clubs don't have enough money or their youth development management are shit tier cause the coaches haven't updated their shit to modern football.
>>
>>65099564
>He got his go
Where? On the wing?

You don't give Paul Scholes a 'go' lad, you put Scholes in the team WHEREVER the fuck he wants to play, which by the way is CM, then you ask him who he'd like to partner him. Then you do all you can to accommodate him. You suck his dick if that's what he asks for. Then you build the remaining 10 players AROUND him. You think what striker suits Scholes? What defenders suit Scholes? What sort of wide men would suit Scholes? etc. etc.

That's how you handle world class talent. You don't try to shoe-horn him in along with shit players like Slippy G and Fat Frank.

Scholes had every right to retire, why would he give a toss about England? He doesn't owe England anything. It's a privilege to have Scholes available for selection, not a fucking right.
>>
There is no debate really.

Beck was by far the best player they had in recent times. Compared to the rest of them he peaked early in career and he didn't last long, but he was rightfully in the top team of his era, the rest of the English were only riding the hype, never even close of being among the top.
>>
>>65099198
Beckham literally was a winger at united though
>dem crosses
>>
Keane/Scholes > Everyone else
>>
>>65099634
this

in the history of english football england have had

>sir bobby
>gazza
>scholes

and the rest has been utter shit, we laugh at scotland and wales but the reality is our players are barely better than what they've produced despite having 5-10 times the population and talent pool to pick from

england has had 3 genuine world beaters on the level of Messi, Zidane, Maradona et al.

just 3

pathetic, absolutely embarrassing for a country of this size and who takes the sport so seriously
>>
>>65099634

He played centre mid for the majority of his England career you fucking mong.
>>
>>65099643
Sorry, but Beckham was absolutely nowhere near Scholes as a footballer.

In fact, I'd say Nicky Butt was a greater footballer than Becks. If not then he was certainly close.
>>
>>65098767
I'd go with
Lampard > Scholes > Slippy G > Beckham
>>
>>65099634
Spot on lad.

If it were up to me I would never have picked Gerrard or Lampard for a single England cap and Carrick would have played every single game since around 2004/05.
>>
You're literally a mong if you don't think Scholes was BY FAR the best out of these 4.

Anyone saying otherwise should be banned automatically for trolling and/or being retarded.

It's like arguing that Kuyt was better than Cruyff, that's how wrong you are. It's literally that fucking stupid.
>>
File: 1452384333073.png (67 KB, 399x399) Image search: [Google]
1452384333073.png
67 KB, 399x399
>I don't rate Beckham

ABRMs are taking this too far
>>
>>65098831
well classified
>>
>"Scholes was the best player in the multiverse" - Xuhammed N'Smith-Miguel (Ballon d'Or winner 5100 AD)
>>
>>65099694
how do we know you're not welsh or a scot?
>>
>>65099774
Beckham has the combined hatred of ABEs, ABUs and ABRMs against him. He has no chance.
>>
>>65099774
peak Nani was better than peak Beckham

and that's coming from someone who only got into football as a 10 year old BECAUSE of David Beckham in 1997/98 and owned 5 of his shirts for both United and Madrid

great guy, great determination, a global icon, an incredible brand but as a footballer? never really in that 'world class' bracket, take away his striking of the ball and what have you got left? someone with less technique and ability than Gary Neville.

of course, if I were building a team for the future 5 years i'd rather have Beckham than Nani, but for a CL final? Nani everyday
>>
Scholes > all of those 3, easily.
>>
Scholes is the best dictator of the game out of all 3. He is irreplaceable.
>>
odd question, one of these things is not like the other three

but obviously the answer is scholes

replace scholes with carrick and replace beckham with someone like scott parker or gareth barry and you'd have a better discussion about england's 2nd best midfielder of the past 20 years or so.
>>
>>65099316
What kind of post is this?
Kill yourself, meme lord
>>
>>65099846
Because Beckham's ability to strike a ball never had any impact in a CL final...
>>
>>65099694
Those players you mentioned are so, so inferior to Messi, Maradona and Zidane (all players are to the first 2)

What a bad post.
>>
>>65099901

>scott parker

kill yourself now
>>
>>65099941
Is that you Slippy G?
>>
>>65099940
Scholes > Zidane
Charlton was close to Maradona.
Messi is just another level though, no shame in coming second to him.

I think your post is bad.
>>
>>65099818
>implying feminists don't take over the world and cuck men into extinction
>>
>>65099709

Scholes was at best a role player. No superstar near him and the team was shit.
>>
>>65099941

>“There had been a lot of talk about who would be captain under Pearce and, when I arrived at the hotel, I thought that might have been his moment to say, ‘Can I have a word outside? or, ‘Could you come to my room for a chat?’

>“The following morning, just before the squad left for training, Pearce pulled me into a toilet at The Grove. He said, ‘I just wanted to tell you face to face that I’m going to be picking Scott Parker to be my captain.'

>“Scott Parker is a good player and honest; I’ve got a lot of respect for Scott as a player and a person. But to pick Scott Parker as England captain ahead of ME!?"

Fuck off.
>>
>>65100003
No idea what you're trying to say.

The team was shit so Scholes carried them?
Scholes didn't have superstars around him and if he did he'd have been even better?
Scholes played his 'role' well?

Going to have to be clearer m8.
>>
>>65099971
I'm not a JF, I won't fall for these posts.

It's sad ManU fans are these days though, their team in the Europa League and in 6th or 7th in the league so all they have is bait posts on /sp/ on a friday night
>>
>>65100004

>le headless chicken man

everything that is wrong with english football
>>
>>65099941
Lampard > Carrick > Parker > Slippy G = Barry

t.b.h
>>
>You now remember Gerrard on the left for England
>>
>>65100018
I'm a Spurs fan m8, I can just appreciate quality when I see it. Absolutely have no loyalty towards Man United whatsoever. Still pissed off about the way they dealt with the Berbatov deal t.b.h.
>>
File: 1367515454439.jpg (47 KB, 400x398) Image search: [Google]
1367515454439.jpg
47 KB, 400x398
Why didn't England just play a diamond?
>>
>>65100065

Sven tried to in Euro 2004. The midfielders told him they didn't want to.
>>
I'm going to deduce the exact reason why there is such polarisation around the whole 'Scholes' thing.
The reason why he is often overlooked is because his style of play was non-descript. Somewhat flawless. Simple.

The people who realise that this might lead to people overlooking his talent then compensate this by launching into the POLAR OPPOSITE and genuinely psychologically conditioning themselves to believe him to be a god when he simply, objectively, never reached the same peak that Gerrard did in his career.
>>
>>65099720
Only right answer
>>
>>65098767
>I don't rate Beckham

condecending fedoraman.jpg
>>
>>65099818
this

Scholes was really good at being good. A bit unmemorable though,
>>
>>65100083
>Scholes
>never reached the same peak that Gerrard did in his career
Except that's objectively wrong, you fucking tard. Scholes was about 3-4 levels ahead of Gerrard at all times.

In fact, Gerrard wasn't even Liverpool's best midfielder. That accolade goes to Xabi Alonso. 2nd would be Mascherano. Gerrard would limp in at 3rd.
>>
>>65100106
Sorry m8. Sorry that your attention span is that short that you can't watch a game without step-overs and blooters.

I bet you fall asleep during movies that don't have explosions and car chases every 10 minutes too, right?

Fifa Street and Fast and the Furious, am I right?

I'm just messing with you lad. It's okay. I remember when I was at that stage too. You soon grow out of it. By the time you're 18 you'll look back and wonder what the fuck you were thinking.
>>
>>65100014

It's as clear as possible. Learn some comprehension.

If manu had no superstar they were shit. Scholes was always there, so he could never be god-tier if teams with him could be shit.
>>
>>65100107
>you fucking tard
Leave the pub mate, sleep it off.

I think Taxerano is the most overrated player of all time. If you think he has been a superior player to el slippo then I don't know what to tell you. There's a reason he's playing CB for barcelona.
>>
>>65100107

'peak gerrard' was called, - by zidane - 'the best footballer in the world'

You have to have so much inhtrinsic ABLism to jump those mental gymnastics in your head to not even entertain the possibility that in the height of Gerrards career he was unplayable, and inspirational. Nobody ever remembers 'that scholes game' because there were none of them.
>>
>>65100137
>this entire post
Painful.
>>
>>65100137
you're getting mad on the internet
>>
rooney
>>
>Beckham top 3 ballon d'or finishes
>Gerrard top 3 ballon d'or finishes
>Lampard top 3 ballon d'or finishes
>Scholes top 3 ballon d'or finishes

Scholes wasn't on their level. Those 3 were all match winners on their day, players who you could rely on to produce a bit of magic when you're team is in need of a goal. Scholes was basically a poor mans Xavi.
>>
>>65100184
This is another reason why the scholes fedoras hype him so much
>>
>>65100144
Still absolutely no clue what your'e trying to say.

>If manu had no superstar
Robson?
Cantona?
Beckham?
Scholes?
Giggs?
Stam?
Irwin?
Schmikes?
G. Nev?
C. Ronaldo?
Keane?
Rooney?
Vidic?
Ferdinand?
van Der Sar?
van Nistelrooy?
Berbatov?
van Persie?
de Gea?

>they were shit
No they weren't. They're literally the most successful football club of the past 25 years. Scholes won the CL twice in his time including the treble. Once more than Zidane.

>Scholes was always there
Exactly. Consistently class. Consistently successful. No matter who came and left, Scholes was always there and always won.

>so he could never be god-tier if teams with him could be shit.
YOU FUCKING WOT M8!?

Absolutely no sense whatsoever. I've really tried to follow your reasoning but it's not possible.
>>
Is anybody else observing the trend with the Scholes-team and the embarrassing and oblivious displays of autism?
>>
>>65100231
It's a side-effect of the mentality that is being implanted into people in other settings.

I call it the reddit-mentality. This guy probably has a user on reddit and takes part in politically correct discussions to ensure maximum upvotes.
God forbit you say what you actually think. I swear this guy doesn't remember one game where Scholes made the difference.
>>
Gerrard>Lampard>Scholes>>>>>>>Beckham
>>
>>65100208
>they're literally the most successful football club of the past 25 years
That's Barca
>>
Becks > Gerrard > Lamps > Scholes
>>
OP, is the Beckham bit a joke?

I understand some people actually think he was really good so I have to make sure.
>>
>>65100431
>fuckin southerners
>>
>>65099901
>Scott Parker
>Gareth Barry

Obvious bait. Carrick, Milner and J. Cole have all been better players
>>
File: _78611166_robbie-gu.jpg (34 KB, 624x351) Image search: [Google]
_78611166_robbie-gu.jpg
34 KB, 624x351
Let's be clear.

Scholes was the best football player.
Beckham was the best Footballer.
Lampard is the greatest striker that never played as a striker.
Gerrard had the most heart.

By these powers combined, I am Exiting At The Quarter Final Stage
>>
Scholes>Lampard>Beckham>Gerrard

Scholes was a genuinely great player for Man Utd
>>
>>65100412
25 years ago is 1991

League:
>Barcelona
>Man United

Cup:
>Barcelona
>Man United

European Cup:
>Barcelona
>Manchester United

What about off the pitch success though? Stadium expansions, training facilities, global fanbase, revenue increases, sponsorship deals, TV deals etc.

I think a case could be made for either.

Not that it has anything to do with the actual point I was making though...
>>
>>65100613
It's widely reported that Laporte, along with Begiristain and Soriano, analyzed and began to adapt/copy United's business model during his presidency – one that started Barcelona's most successful decade
>>
>>65098767

OFFICIAL ENGLISH MIDFIELDER POWER RANKINGS

1=. Scholes
1=. Lampard

POWER GAP

9001. Steven "Slippy" Gerrard

POWER GAP

90000000001. David "Meme-tastic marketing machine" Beckham
>>
File: FplTbNZb[1].jpg (24 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
FplTbNZb[1].jpg
24 KB, 400x400
THIS
>>
>>65099514
The Premer league is too powerful. They block any kind of reform that would help the national team or would jeopardise their growth in revenue. You need people in the FA with balls honestly and not just there for a cheap boys club corporate job
>>
>>65099514
>a super-manager is the solution
>>
Beckham>Scholes>slippty>Lampard

Anything different from this shows the poster is football illiterate.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 497x352) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 497x352
Atleast Beckham took England to a World Cup Final. What did these other nobodies do? Slip?
>>
>>65099673
>right sided midfielder is the same as winger
>>
>>65098810
Was Benitez the only one that realized that slippy G was the inferior of the bunch?
>>
Not the same position, why are english cunts so retarded
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 615x923) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 615x923
YOU SEE THIS ENGLISH SHiRT? BECKHAM HAS BLEAD FOR THIS SHIT!
>>
>>65098767
Gerrard > Scholes > Lampard > Beckham

There is no question that Gerrard is the best of all. He's certainly much better than Scholes anyway. Just look at the individual records of Scholes and Gerrard. Gerrard has been in the team of the season 8 times keeping Scholes out on most of those occasions. Scholes has only been on that team twice. Gerrard dragged a Liverpool team to the champions league final twice winning once. Although Scholes has won more champions leagues than Gerrard, Gerrard has beaten much higher opposition in the final. Steven Gerrard beat the best Milan team ever while being a part of a team that included Milan Baros and Djimi Traore. Gerrard has a Ballon d'or bronze medal for his work in a season that wasn't even his best. Scholes hasn't come close. Gerrard arguably should have beaten Lampard to silver. Gerrard has been the Uefa club footballer of the year and a champions league man of the match winner. Not to mention Gerrard has more goals in fewer games playing for a much lesser team. Not only this but he kept Scholes out of his favoured position for England. The other two I think it's clear they aren't as good as Gerrard and Scholes but there is a clear gap between Gerrard and Scholes. The only thing that Scholes probably is better than Gerrard at is his passing ability, although both are beautiful passers of the ball. Gerrard is the better all round player and leader most importantly. Scholes can't tackle, Gerrard can. Scholes can't run. Gerrard can. Gerrard has much better aerial ability.
>>
>>65101002
Scholes can stand on his feet.
>>
>>65101106
>>65101002
Gerrard has also been much more versatile. He's played multiple positions throughout his career. He's had success at right back, in the centre of midfield in a 4-4-2, a second striker, a more defensive role as a deep midfielder in the role Xabi Alonso used to play alongside Mascherano, the anchor in a diamond where he sat between central defenders (he had success despite the fact that that's the position he slipped), part of a midfield three, and a simple attacking midfielder.
>>
File: 1330870328286.jpg (39 KB, 630x381) Image search: [Google]
1330870328286.jpg
39 KB, 630x381
>>65101181
>he had success
>>
>>65101225
He's played the role well is what I mean. It's not his fault the team around him couldn't win the trophies for him.
>>
>>65101002

Comprehensive
>>
"The best trophy I won was the UEFA Championship 2012, but not because we won, but because I could see the best midfield player in the world, Paul Schauls" - Leonel Messi
>>
The most worrying configuration i'm seeing is the
Beckham>scholes>slippyg<lampard one.

Like I get that putting beckham as first is funny haha and stuff, but then following the trend of the thread's net opinion afterwards almost makes it seem as if the Beckham first thing isn't a joke.

If Scholes and Gerrard are effectively on similar levels (accounting for the subjectivity element due to their different strengths), then Lampard should be JUST below that level, and Beckham should not even be entertained as even a concept of a level.
>>
File: 1442504844627.jpg (60 KB, 428x705) Image search: [Google]
1442504844627.jpg
60 KB, 428x705
>>65101366
>If Scholes and Gerrard are effectively on similar levels

Mate, seriously. Seriously and honestly. Genuinely and unironically. Fletcher is closer to Gerrard than Gerrard is to Scholes and that's the truth.
>>
>>65101423

mate... no
>>
>>65101423
you're way too harsh on scholes. He's loads better than fletcher
>>
>>65101423
>uses analogy to Manchester United player because it is the only team he watches play football and has heavily rooted psychological biases of which he actually can not ever be aware of by the the definition itself.
>>
>>65101366
Lampard is better than Gerrard

Gerrard was a meme player who's only notable because he stayed at a shit club for fear he'd be murdered otherwise

Lampard was part of the rock which built Chelsea into one of the biggest clubs in the world.
>>
>>65101549
do you mean rock because he's fat? lmao
>>
Scholes>Lamps>Becks>>>>>Gerrard
>not including Carrick
Becks gets points for successfully converting from a right mid to a holding midfielder.

>>65101002
If he was so great why couldn't he hold down his favoured position when Liverpool where at their best? In term of skill Gerrard is probably the best but his 'heart' takes over too much and makes the rest of his game suffer badly.

Also Scholes' football sense was leagues ahead of Gerrard's. He was more subtle because he knew that the loooooong diagonal pass or blooter from miles out were not the best options every. single. time. Gerrard could tackle better but was forever chasing the game.
>>
File: scholes.jpg (422 KB, 1600x992) Image search: [Google]
scholes.jpg
422 KB, 1600x992
Paul Scholes is one of the best Premier League midfielders of all time. Steven Gerrard has never won the Premier League.
>>
>>65101900
your description of your opinion is ok, (i actually disagree that gerrard is the most skilled, that would be either scholes or becks), but that does not match up at all with the number of greater than signs you have used at all and it angers me.

Also I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHY BECKHAM IS BEING TALKED ABOUT
>>
>>65099442
Wilshere can
>>
>>65102064
>number of greater than signs you have used... angers me.
then they worked ;^)

What I meant by Gerrard being the most skillful is that he could do every isolated action you could ever ask of a footballer at an elite level. Technically and physically he's better than the other three but like Sacchi said he lacks the know how to play football.

>Why is Becks being talked about?
He was awesome that's why. He knew his limitations and adapted his game to get the most out of his ability. How many elite wide midfielders do you know who had really average pace and no fancy tricks? When he played for RM he adapted again to a new style and position and was among the best in Europe in that role.
>>
>>65102335
Both Scholes and Beckham have a hugely apparent better passing/range and accuracy than Gerrard? Gerrard wasn't any more technically gifted than them at all. That was never Gerrard's strong point. The reason why he was so effective was because of an amalgamation of his athleticism and his willpower. He might not have been as technically gifted or methodical as Scholes, and might not have had the same innate football talent, but he influenced games much more dramatically - often in bad ways, but some times having such profound results as to literally alter the cultural chemistry of football.
Gerrard became iconic, and he is a symbollic leader. His presence, and his energy affected his team psychologically into states where you had poor liverpool sides not only competing with the most stacked team in the world EVER, but scoring 3 goals against them in a frenzy. Gerrard's impact penetrates so much more deeply than the direction the football goes.
>>
>>65102545

mate plebs will never understand this,
scholes fedoras already think they're running against the mainstream crowd-think, and hence have some insight too difficult to grasp for others, so the chance of them reevaluating their opinion is literally nil.
>>
>Set Pieces
Becks
>Short Passing
Scholes
>Long Passing
Scholes and Becks tied
>Crossing
Becks
>Scoring
Lampard
>Positioning
Lampard
>Technique
Scholes
>Tackling
Gerrard
>Blooters
Gerrard
>Work Rate
Becks
>Stamina
Becks
>Pace
Gerrard
>First Touch
Scholes
>Dribbling
Gerrard
>Vision
Scholes
>>
>>65102690
Mostly agree with all of those except the particularly baffling workrate + stamina beckham accolades

I'm from the team Gerrard camp but more importantly I feel much strongly invested in the team Beckham should not be involved in this debate camp.
>>
Scholes > Lampard > Stevie > Becks
>>
>>65099316
top kek

underrated post

my favorite bit was this part: >>>> JUST retire already 10s SlippyG >>>>
>>
>>65102545
That reads like a think-piece from the Guardian. GJ

I still think Gerrard is the most skillful. Of course you're right in saying that the others were better at this or that particular skill. However, if you made a checklist of every skill and gave each player a tick for the ones that they were elite at, Gerrard would have the most.
>>
>>65099510

>using temper as a verb

i'm very impressed if you're actually brazilian and not an ex-pat
>>
>>65100184
Being the poor man's xavi is probably a bigger compliment than some meaningless third place finish in a competition for naming the most popular footballer of the year. Honestly, have you seen who actually votes for the ballon d'or? It's a fucking joke.
>>
I can straight up
hands down
GUARANTEE YOU ALL
everybody who ranks david beckham above ste gee or scholesey is a fuckin southern fairy nonce tory scum
>>
>>65099846
peak nani should have won player of the year over Bale

Shit wasn't even close
>>
TO SUMMARISE:

There are two trains of thought.

1: Those who recognise that Scholes' influence on a game of football is easy to miss, understate, and even be unable to comprehend as his strengths lay in the smallest details of his game - (i.e his decision making and instantaneous spacial awareness and comprehension of the game); nevertheless he was always in a great football team - and therefore perhaps he was why.

2. Those who recognise that Gerrard could influence games hugely in ways that were obviously his own doing because they have seen it happen and the magnitude of it can not be disputed.

Camp one will believe it has some sort of deeper insight in to the nature of the problem, that it has the more considered and complex vision to be able to appreciate the large contribution of the subtle nuances in football. - as opposed to the other camp who are just a bit too simple to see it in the same way, they probably like the avengers 2 (but would have preferred more explosions), probably like pubs, clubs and tv.

Camp 2 will characterise camp 1 as being contrarian for the sake of being contrarian, arrogant and ultimately wrong

and then Camp 3 will formulate an entirely new perspective on the matter of which it believes it is the only occupant, so that he can feel as if he has a greater insight on the problem than either camp does and is therefore superior. But will eventually realise that his train of thought is self-circularly erroneous, and then refer to himself in a meta way and then read through his comment a few times to admire how clever her probably sounds
>>
File: 1453502956224.png (121 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
1453502956224.png
121 KB, 400x400
>mfw I actually got 30+ Brits to debate about Scholes & co for hours on Friday night
>>
Man, remember that legendary scholes game, where he made that amazing sideways pass? Or that one time where hetook the ball on the miedfield and passed to a defender? All those legendary moments, I mean, who else could've aced that irrelevant pass at stoke?
>>
>>65103302
the absolute madman
>>
Lampard is really underrated here. The guy was definitely a big game player for Chelsea and saved their asses so often it was ridiculous. His passing and technique are underrated too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpRaMTmH-Y0

I believe he has the most assists in Premier League history too.
>>
>>65098973
This is true. Patrick Vieira was the single most dominant player in the BPL.
>>
File: 1451670101373.jpg (16 KB, 500x599) Image search: [Google]
1451670101373.jpg
16 KB, 500x599
>britkeks unironically rate Scholes
>>
>>65101549
You mean the rock that is billions of shekels?
>>
>>65099316
KKKKKKKKKKK Q MERDA EH ESSA
>>
>>65103468
Remember all the blooter volleys
>>
>>65100544
Underrated post
>>
Keano > Scholes > Giggs > Beckham > Anderson > Lampard > Park > Slippy G
>>
>>65099587
>the best of the past 20 or so years

>Scholes is better than Gazza

Terrible. Utterly utterly terrible.
>>
>>65099694
No they didn't. Nobody in England has ever been at the level of Messi, Zidane or Maradona. Gazza was the closest.

The reason England is shit, is that players would COULD play for England, don't, and opt for playing for NI, Scotland or Wales because their Grand Mother was half-X.

If England had, say, Giggs, in it's team, it would have been far superior than without him. If England had Ramsey and Bale instead of whatever meme of the week (Barkley and Townsend for example) it'd be superior. But they're playing for Wales. If England had Best in the team, it would have been superior than without him.

See the point? It's completely fucked because the UK's FA's are all shit scared of combining into one country that could curb stomp others. Look at Olympics, we should have taken Beckham, the last hurrah, for his services in getting the Olympics. Instead we took Giggs (though he was in form, so rightly), Gary Speed and somebody else I forget.

That took shit loads of begging and pleading to get done. Scotland is the biggest problem. Wales is fine with uniting with England and I don't see why we can't do a UK team for Olympics without Scotland.
>>
>>65108758
>american manure bandwagoners

could there be a more plastic 'fanbase' in existance?
>>
>people rate Paul "I'm a MC and I can't tackle for shit as I'm a ginger midget" Scholes

Do you fucks even watch United/England or do you read blog posts?
>>
>>65108910
>I'm a MC and I can't tackle for shit as I'm a ginger midget
shit rap t b h
>>
In their prime

Gerrard > Beckham > Lampard > Scholes
>>
>Beckham in this equation at all

Nowhere near on the same level as any of them. He made a name because of his meme crosses, GOAT free kicks and great looks. He was never an outstanding footballer
>>
>>65108879
Giggs, Bale and Ramsey were all born in Cardiff you clown.

Your argument is literally 'if better players were English and not X then we'd have a good team'. A GB team, on the other hand, you might have a case for
>>
>>65100208
>all those world class players then
>Berbaton
>>
>>65111891

Bullshit.

Beckham at his peak was a 15 goal/20+ assists a season player, providing many big goals in many big games at the highest level. This whole 'he was never that good' mentality that has come about in recent years is pure bollocks. Just because he didn't have fancy dribbling skills or electric pace doesn't mean he wasn't a great player. It's like saying Van Nistelrooy was never an outstanding striker because he was only good inside the box. Beckham's job was to provide goals for the forwards, and he did it as good as anyone in world football.
>>
>>65108379
Cheers
>>
File: scholes.jpg (82 KB, 720x446) Image search: [Google]
scholes.jpg
82 KB, 720x446
88s confirms the cheeky ginger wizard is goat
>>
>>65113688
Wtf
>>
>>65098767
Giggs
>>
File: lsivzPZ.jpg (78 KB, 640x390) Image search: [Google]
lsivzPZ.jpg
78 KB, 640x390
>>65113688
>>
>>65100065
this desu

Young Rooney Owen

Gerrard

Lampard Scholes

Hargreaves

Cole Terry Ferdinand Neville

Some shit goalkeeper

May have actually won something
>>
>>65114154
Btw that's "young rooney" not ashley young
>>
>>65098767
They all have good cases to be honest

Peak gerrard (08/09), who played as a number 10, was probably better than any of the others at any point in their careers, and was one of the best players in the world. However, he was overrated as a centre mid (especially being found out when playing in 442) and wasn't as consistent as the others.

Scholes would be the best in terms of consistency, playing at a top level for at least a decade, however he was never the best in the world in his position, whereas I feel at various points the other 3 were (08/09 gerrard, 04/05 lampard, early noughties/late 90s becks). Also I feel he stands out just because he was an english bloke actually playing a technical passing game rather than cos he was one of the best at it, xavi and pirlo were always a few notches ahead of him in that position.

Becks has a case as he was the only one who really turned it on at international level consistently, Gerrard and Lampard have one good tournament each and Scholes wasn't used properly for england.

Lamps also has the consistency thing and a better goals ratio than all of them
>>
>>65099846
>of course, if I were building a team for the future 5 years i'd rather have Beckham than Nani, but for a CL final? Nani everyday

You're a clown. Nani had 3 CL finals during his peak for United, and didn't start a single one. Beckham on the other hand was the reason United won the 99 CL, setting up both last minute goals.
>>
>>65098767
>implying Beckham wasn't by FAR the best out of them.

But on the other hand, how could you know? Most of you probably started watching football when they were high enough to reach tv remote from the table, which means 3 years ago at most.
>>
>>65108879
What the fuck are you talking about? Best was Northern Irish and Bale, Ramsey and Giggs are Welsh. They weren't English at all, not in the slightest. They weren't English with Welsh or Irish heritage, they were fully Welsh and Irish.

Jesus, you could say if England had Messi, they'd be a better team.
>>
>>65100184
>popularity contest
why of course
>>
>>65098831
THIS
>>
>>65099316
where is didi you fucking twat
>>
>>65108879
Jamie Vardy, mate
>>
>>65098767

Beckham number 1. The others never played in a real league.
>>
Lampard> Beckham > Gerrard > Scholes
>>
>>65098767
Scholes>Lampard>Beckham>Slippy G

As a neutral
>>
>>65098767
Gerrard carried Liverpool to success. The other 3 played in teams that dominated.

You figure it out who the best was.
>>
>>65116548
>calls the other 3 by their names
>calls Gerrard "Slippy G"
>claims to be neutral
lol try again m8
>>
>>65116512
This, really.

People keep falling for the memes of 'le ginger hidden genius of made-up quotes' and 'le win UCL by miracle then slip in front of Dembaba'.
>>
>>65108948
>scholes can't tackle meme
He knew exactly what he was doing with every horror tackle he ever made
>>
File: image.jpg (27 KB, 469x393) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
27 KB, 469x393
>>65099316
I can actually read that but I wish I couldn't desu
>>
I think Gerrard was a better player out of the four of them. No one on /sp/ will admit because he and Liverpool are a laughing stock, but prime Gerrard was an incredible player.
Its just a shame that he played for a much worse team than the other 3 did and had his family get death threats when he wanted to leave and join a better club.

My ranking would Gerrard > Scholes > Lampard > Beckham.
>>
Becks, Scholes, Terry

The other guy is absolute trash
>>
>>65116803
>>
>>65116588
But Slippy Gi s his name...
>>
Dele Ali>Schole>Lampard>Gerrard>Beckham
>>
"forget messi, forget ronaldo, Gerrard is the world's best player" - Zinedine Zidane ~ 2009
Thread replies: 181
Thread images: 20

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.