[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
British goat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 15
File: steven-gerrard-001.jpg (24 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
steven-gerrard-001.jpg
24 KB, 460x276
>yfw brits think he's not the best british player of the last 30 years
>yfw they bring stupid stats trying to prove it

Why does a nation that live in an endless delusion can't realize that he's far above any other player they've produced?
How can they judge a player for a mistake and just forget his whole career?

I don't think I'll see in my life a british player with half of his talent.
>>
>>64619681
Because ABL is a mental illness, familia. Watch 100 obsessed faggots post "BUT HE LE SLIPPED ON HIS FUCKING ARSE TO LOSE THE TITLE xDDDDD" because they started watching football in 2012 and jumped on the cool and trendy Liverpool hatred bandwagon when they discovered /sp/.
>>
Maybe he should've gone to Real to prove himself, but as it is he'll be remembered as Liverpool legend more than a football legend.
>>
>>96
>>
>>64619819
What british player proved himself outside UK? Lineker? Beckham?
Maybe the first one, but none of both had half the quality that Gerrard had.
>>
What's that thing everyone calls him? Slipped from my memory at the moment
>>
>>64619928

Gazza, Ince, Hargreaves from my lifetime. Owen was ok. Not enough go abroad.
>>
>>64619681
>that flag trying to talk about english football

I know you've only ever seen gerrard play in the 2005 final and when liverpool beat real madrid
>>
never got to see him truly in his prime, i started watching him the year they finished 2nd after united and i didnt know enough about the sport at that time to realize how good or bad he was. after that i only got to see him in his meme years atter some injuries and some shitty management at liverslip
>>
>>64620076
No
>>
>>64619928

McManaman
>>
Bale is literally the best British player ever to have played the game.
Sad but true.
>>
Average player.

Roy of the Rovers killed football, people too obsessed with 'running the game' that it takes away from the team.

That's the reason he never won a league, or did anything of note outside of diving in the Champions League. B player, nothing more.

Ashley Cole is the best English player of the last 30 years, and that's a fact. The only player that was actually the best in the world at his position for a period.
>>
>>64620247
McManaman didn't prove shit. He had a good semifinals against Barcelona and anything else.

>>64620250
A monkey that can't pass the ball or understand the game, that needs endless spaces to produce something, and when I say produce I mean kicking the ball from anywhere he can
>>
>>64620250
>British
>>
>>64620250
>>64620341
>Bale is literally the best British player ever to have played the game.
>Ashley Cole is the best English player of the last 30 years, and that's a fact.

/sp/ is so stupid
>>
>>64619681
Poor man's Paul Scholes
>>
>>64620341

This so much.

>MUH HOLLYWOOD BALL

This is why England are so terrible. Too many wannabe match winners with zero team ethic lacking the technical ability and patience to keep hold of the ball for extended periods of time.
>>
>>64620414
I don't even get this one.
>>
I miss him and I miss Benitez's Liverpool, and I don't give a flying shit about the lack of titles. I loved that brand of football and those players.

There was a time when this beast was in the same team as Alonso, prime Mascherano and prime Torres, just think about that.
>>
File: ruhroh.jpg (59 KB, 693x663) Image search: [Google]
ruhroh.jpg
59 KB, 693x663
good english players:
>Beckman
>Slippard
>Ginger midfield manlet
good spanish players
>Pass to messi guy 1
>Pass to messi guy 2
>Fernandont Scorres
ok england won :D
>>
>>64620418
Name a better player in their position than Ashley Cole. He was THE LB of the 2000s.
>>
>>64620585

They probably weren't the goats of their position at the time but Campbell and Ferdinand were indisputably world class.

England do great defenders and not much else.
>>
>>64620585
It said best English player though, not best English defender or left back. Cole was fucking sublime but don't change the argument.
>>
>>64620403

This is either a terrible bait or you actually watch 8 games a year and highlight reels. Should've guessed from your first post desu like >>64620076 did.
>>
shearer was by far the best english player
>>
File: another cross comes to nothing.gif (3 MB, 500x485) Image search: [Google]
another cross comes to nothing.gif
3 MB, 500x485
>>64620554
I do. Every damn day

>tfw none of them are at the club anymore
>all still active

JUST
>>
>>64620729
I don't think you understand.

Ashley Cole as a LB was better than Gerrard as a CM.

There is no English midfielder or striker that is better than Cole was at LB.
>>
>>64620795
Harry Kane as a striker
>>
>>64620795
Lampard
>>
gerrard was certainly world class, but i'm not quite sure that he's up there with your xavis, your pirlos, your zidanes
>>
>>64620872
Xavi is incredibly overrated, he was only great in Guardiola's system and was nothing more than pretty before and after. People don't remember how rigid his system was and how comfortable it was for Xavi, the real GOAT was Iniesta.
Also Pirlo was always great but he's a class below Lampard, Scholes and Gerrard, he's just nice to watch.
>>
Gerrard is the same level as Zidane etc. ABLs will deny this.
>>
>>64620944

so are you saying that your lampards, your scholes', and your gerrards are better than your xavis, your pirlos, your zidanes?
>>
>>64621061
Not Zidane but Xavi and Pirlo, yes.
>>
>>64620795
Shearer
>>
It's easier to hate than love
>>
>>64619681
You're right Spain, average fan in Britain ranks players by who their "hard" mates thinks is good, statistics, and then memes.
They ignore the quality of the player's team mates, the match ups against other players in their position/era.
Midfield battles against players like Essien, Makelele, Roy Keane, Viera, Gattuso, Scholes, Emerson, Gilberto Silva.
Gerard was marked by by the opposition's best DM, and had HEAVY defensive responsiblities untill the Rafa Benitez era.
In his prime he had better stamina than any other "star" English player besides Rooney, and ashley cole. He had decent tackling abilty, and was a threat crossing or shooting with both feet. Above average set piece taker.

>In b4 lampard
He didnt have to mark best opposition CM, at any point in his career, and played with great defensive players.

Shearer was great but his era wnd position wasnt as competitve ei prem league defenders were crap for a while, rooney peaked early and had ronaldo and tevez, scholes ahd giggs, and doesnt defend.

Ashley cole is a good shout, but doesnt have atacking threat
>>
>>64619681
He's not even better than Batty
>>
ABLs are retarded, and a lot of sp is too young to remember gerrard in his prime

gerrard in 2004 and 2005 was literally top 3 midfielders in the world, would literally have got into any team he wanted

same can't be said about players like lampard and scholes, people who abls consider better

not to mention he was playing for fucking liverpool and did everything on his own
>>
>>64619681
>>64619928
>>64620151
>>64620403
Scouser in Benidorm detected.
>>
Lampard>>>Scholes>Gerrard>>Beckham
>>
>>64621870
But Mourinho was trying to take Gerrard to Chelsea to replace Lampard.
>>
>>64621810
He was thirdi n the Ballon di'Or at some point, can't remember when.
>>
>>64621870
Why do the English on /sp/ hate Beckham so much? Balloon Door runner up and one of if not the best set piece taker in modern football.
>>
>>64621899
I think he wanted to have them both at some point.
--------------------Makélélé
-------Lampard------------Gerrard
>>
Gerrard was named in the premier league team of the year more times than anyone else
>>
>>64621953
Too pretty
>>64621955
Fucking hell that's scary.
>>
>goat
>at
>last 30 years

>>64621921
lampard was second that year
>>
Scholes>Gerrard

lel
>>
It's hilarious that people compare scholes to gerrard

gerrard is fucking miles ahead of scholes

>b-but scholes was in a better team and won more stuff so that makes him better

nah thats not how it works
>>
>>64622083

Yeah I'm so sick of people proving their points with facts and irrefutable evidence. You go girl!
>>
>>64622083
It does work that way to an extent though, speaking as someone who thinks Gerrard was superior.
>>
>>64622077
Repeating digits confirm my statement
>>
>>64622135
>>64622121
Darren Fletcher is better than Le Tissier.
>>
>>64621921
Lampard came second.
Lampard is officially better than Gerrard
>>
>>64622135
i think its a really silly way to look at it

by that logic gerrard could have joined chelsea, performed like shit and scored 0 goals, but we'd be able to call him a better player because he'd have won more trophies
>>
>le penalty padding slipping man
>best british player in the last 30 years

Great joke Juan
>>
>>64622166
Make as many exaggerations as you want, it won't make your rat eating shitlord any better than St Paul
>>
>>64622230
bin dipping manc detected
>>
>>64622175

manchester city legend desu
>>
>>64622221
186 goals
47 of them were penalties
>>
"Gerrard has become the most influential player in England, bar none. To me, Gerrard is Keane; he is now where Keane was when Roy came to us in 1994. I've watched him quite a lot, and everywhere the ball is, he seems to be there. He's got that unbelievable engine, desire, determination. Anyone would take Gerrard.

Not that Vieira lacks anything, but I think that Gerrard does more for his team than Vieira does. Vieira has done that job for Arsenal for two or three years. But you can see Gerrard rising and rising."

Alex Ferguson in May 2004
>>
>>64622359
You'd have been mental to take Gerrard over Vieira back when Vieira was tearing the league up. Absolutely mental.
>>
>>64622166
Gerrard literally never won the league. It adds an undeniable element of failure to his history, despite the other things he did win. You saying or thinking otherwise is cute, but it's not going to paper over that fact
>>
File: 1448213563016s.jpg (9 KB, 240x250) Image search: [Google]
1448213563016s.jpg
9 KB, 240x250
>>64622562
>a shit player who wins the league is better than an amazing player who doesnt win the league
>>
>>64622513
Would rather someone who actually did something, as opposed to viera who just stops other people doing things

professional foul committer, boring
>>
>>64622633
You could argue my actual point instead of changing it. Might be more constructive. Would require actual use of the brain, mind.
>>
>>64622670
>he started watching football in 2012
>>
>>64622752
>gerrard never won the league so all his other accomplishments are meaningless
>>
>>64622670
>Would rather
So it comes down to PERSONAL PREFERENCE, I see.

So when Liverpool fans say Gerrard LITERALLY was the best English player of all time, what they mean is that he is SUBJECTIVELY their favourite English player of all time.
>>
>>64622836
I literally said the opposite to that didn't I?

>It adds an undeniable element of failure to his history, despite the other things he did win.

Yes, yes I did. Okay next time use the brain, but also the eyes.
>>
>>64622670
literally all the games between the top sides these days are decided by who can get away with the most professional fouls without getting booked so I'm not sure how you can complain about Viera
>>
File: le messi meme.gif (24 KB, 242x249) Image search: [Google]
le messi meme.gif
24 KB, 242x249
>>64622859

“For two or three years, Steven Gerrard was the best midfield player in the world." - Zidane

“He has become the most influential player in England, bar none. Not that Vieira lacks anything, but Gerrard does more.” – Sir Alex Ferguson

“I can’t think of a striker in the world who has scored so many important goals, never mind a midfielder.” – Thierry Henry

“I heard what Alex Ferguson said about him being better than me. He’s probably right.” – Patrick Vieira

“Steven Gerrard would be the captain of my World XI dream team.” – Francesco Totti

“I tried to bring him to Chelsea, I tried to bring him to Inter, I tried to bring him to Real Madrid but he was always a dear enemy,” - Mourinho
>>
>>64620341
This tbqhwtf
>>
>>64621810
2007 Fletcher >>>> 2004 Slippy G
>>
File: 1448588783261.jpg (108 KB, 450x360) Image search: [Google]
1448588783261.jpg
108 KB, 450x360
>>64619681
0 (ZERO) PREMIER LEAGUE MEDALS
>>
File: helmut.jpg (31 KB, 376x347) Image search: [Google]
helmut.jpg
31 KB, 376x347
>>64623160
>2007 Fletcher >>>> 2004 Slippy G
>>
>>64623210
>muh titles

Kind of a dumb way to decide how good a player is desu. By that logic, Julian Green is better than Marco Reus and Mario Chalmers is better than Russell Westbrook.
>>
File: stevie gerrard best bits.webm (3 MB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
stevie gerrard best bits.webm
3 MB, 640x480
In the end he was a failure, he rightfully gained the respect of his peers and was an upstanding individual off the pitch but from around 2010 onwards it fell apart, he achieved nothing for the national team, captained them whilst failing to qualify for the euros in 2008 and completely imploded for both Liverplop and England in 2014. Stat wise Lampard will go down as the better player, Gerrard as a Liverpool legend(in the grand scheme fuck all)

Maybe it couldve been quite different easily but he wont be missed much
>>
>>64623491
Nobody gives a fuck about lampard
>>
>>64619681
literally a player that will forever be overshadowed by his mistakes and failures, forever to be remembered as a cuck. I would kill myself desu.
>>
>>64623586
thats half my point pal

Lamps > 1x Champo League, 3x Prem & 4x FA Cup, 2x League Cup
Gerrid > 1x Champo League, 2x FA Cup, 3x League Cup
>>
>>64623733
Difference is people actually give a fuck about gerrard
>>
>>64621953
He wasn't very good outside of set-pieces.

He was a bang average winger with A+ marketability.
>>
>>64622670
Viera was so good, Arsenal are still missing a replacement 10 years later.
>>
>>64623733

Lampard played for a much, much better team for most of his career.
>>
Gerrard has the English trait of 'almost' being great.

He will be remembered more for his mistakes and his lack of a Premier League title than his positives.
>>
>>64623937
he was a main part of that team, he wasnt a passenger by any stretch.
add to that liverpool spent millions year after year and it still went to shit, and gerrard was a the main component, I'd call that slightly defective
>>
>>64623922
Will literally be the same for Liverpool. You don't come across these players too often
>>
>>64623992
>he was a main part of that team, he wasnt a passenger by any stretch.

Definitely. Lampard was a great player, but I think if Gerrard grew up in London and Lampard in Liverpool then Gerrard would be the one with all the trophies and Lampard probably would have never won the Premier League.

>add to that liverpool spent millions year after year and it still went to shit

But Chelsea, United, and (later on) City spent millions more. And it didn't exactly go to shit, Liverpool was a great team from 2005 to 2009.
>>
>>64624056
your first point is completely hypothetical

second one though, liverpool did have a great team back then, the likes of Xabi Alonso, Mascherano, Kewell, J A Risse - They won a Champions League and an FA Cup or two, millions were poured into them and they were competitve. After Rafa left they fell apart and recruitment didnt help, for every Torres and Suarez there were ten Albert Reira / David N'gog / Robbie Keanes; They didnt gel and didnt click. It took new ownership and management to straighten them out and they still completely collapsed with Gerry as their talisman. He was a part of their failure as much as their earlyer success
>>
>>64624477
true, the slippy season was just truly sad by gerrard, what a terrible season

13 goals and 13 assists

11 wins in a row
>>
Arrigo Sacchi kind of sums it up for me
“When I was director of football at Real Madrid I had to evaluate the players coming through the youth ranks. We had some who were very good footballers. They had technique, they had athleticism, they had drive, they were hungry.

"But they lacked what I call knowing-how-to-play-football. They lacked decision making. They lacked positioning. They didn't have the subtle sensitivity of football: how a player should move within the collective. And for many, I wasn't sure they were going to learn".

“You see, strength, passion, technique, athleticism, all of these are very important. But they are a means to an end, not an end in itself. They help you reach your goal, which is putting your talent at the service of the team and, by doing this, making both of you and the team greater.

"In situations like that, I just have to say, Gerrard's a great footballer, but perhaps not a great player."
>>
>>64623980
Yeah because these Sky generation idiots only care about tearing people down in the media and shitty maymays. Gerrard is an all time great.
>>
>>64624534
that isnt what that season is remembered for though. Suarez was on fire, Sterling thrived and Gerrard slipped.

They had it and lost it, just look at their turnover of players since. Good ones sold off (i.e not happy in team) and others got rid of or improvements(?) bought in. It failed, he failed; accept it
>>
>>64624672
Oh so you're just a revisionist.
>>
Scholes > Zidane > Keane > Gerrard > Xavi > Carrick > Pirlo > Seedorf > Lampard

Objectively speaking
>>
>>64624885
I respectably disagree family.
>>
File: porpoise.jpg (20 KB, 460x276) Image search: [Google]
porpoise.jpg
20 KB, 460x276
>>64624885
> carrick

m8y are you doin this on purpose
>>
File: 1447586183917.jpg (43 KB, 872x701) Image search: [Google]
1447586183917.jpg
43 KB, 872x701
>>64624547
that is so painfully wrong its hilarious
>>
>>64624885
pretty accurate desu, but you're overrating Carrick and underrating Xavi imo
>>
>>64624547
The partnership gerrard had with torres completely shits all over that retards opinion

gerrard lacked decision making skills and position sense but still managed to be a top 3 midfielder in the world, okie dokie m8
>>
File: image.gif (1 MB, 260x204) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
1 MB, 260x204
>>64624885
>Gerrard > Xavi

Fuck you, whopper. Gerrard was always shit and a very stupid selfish footballer. Xavi was actually intelligent, probably a higher IQ than all of Liverpool put together.
>>
>>64619681
Gerrard was world class, but I wouldn't say "the best British player of the last 30 years".
>>
>>64623121
It's hilarious you got so mad that you had to dig all these up but I never disputed how good Gerrard was, and in fact happen to think he was fantastic (and have said so in other posts in this thread), but that one person said Gerrard>Vieira because of his personal feelings which is a moronic justification in a reasoned debate.
>>
>>64622670
confirmed for literally never seeing Vieira play

>muh big black must be a DM meme
>>
>>64625942
and you said you'd have to be mental to pick gerrard over viera

well fergie disagreed, stay buttmad

or was that just fregies moron personal feelings
>>
File: stevie.jpg (35 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
stevie.jpg
35 KB, 480x360
Bump for the GOAT
>>
>>64625192
>2 European cups
>runner up World Cup
>that retards opinion
Name a more successful English manager in the last 30 years than sacchi, oh that's right you can't because their coaching is stuck in the dark ages
>>
>>64624477

They didn't collapse because of bad recruitment, they collapsed because the owners destroyed the club financially.
>>
Gerrard was a good player. Not world class, and probably not quite as good as Lampard.

>muh passion
>muh leadership
>muh spirit

Sure, those things matter. But them alone don't make you a world class footballer. His technical ability was good but not superb.

>muh long shots

Yeah he scored quite a few, and had a powerful strike. Still doesn't make him technically gifted. He was just capable of hitting a ball really hard, and given how much he shot from outside the box his stats aren't actually that great for long shots. The FA Cup final goal was class but the law of averages dictates that he had to score a couple like that in an entire career of hitting balls as hard as he could.

>le Lampard was surrounded by better players meme

This one I really don't understand. Sure, Lampard naturally had better players around him to help him play well, but on the other hand it was easier for Gerrard to stand out in such an average team for so long. It doesn't make Gerrard world class, because you only had to be pretty decent to look great in some of those Liverpool squads.

Oh also, he slipped.
>>
Gerrard was shit, and he came around at exactly the right time to fuck Lampard out of the England squad.

Remember the Brazil 2014 where Lampard and Gerrard appeared for the last time?

Gerrard was shit, and kept Lampard on the bench. Probably to keep Scousers happy because if "MUH STEVIE G" wasn't played we'd never hear the end of it.

Then we got knocked out, and our last game didn't even matter anymore. So Hodge benched Gerrard and played Lampard because his last world cup etc.

Lampard played fucking better than Gerrard ever did in Brazil. That was his big England send off.

MUH STEVIE G
>>
File: images.duckduckgo.com.jpg (15 KB, 300x245) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com.jpg
15 KB, 300x245
>>64619681
>I don't think I'll see in my life a british player with half of his talent.

Left or right, take your pic.

Or Gazza maybe.

And that's just in midfield
>>
>>64628327
>he was the captain
>shit
>>
File: celebration.gif (3 MB, 300x177) Image search: [Google]
celebration.gif
3 MB, 300x177
>>64628327
>He was shit, that's why he was England's captain and was chosen to play over Lampard
Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.