[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible for someone who never played baseball or football
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5
File: basebow.jpg (35 KB, 500x666) Image search: [Google]
basebow.jpg
35 KB, 500x666
Is it possible for someone who never played baseball or football in their childhood to go pro in mlb or nfl?
>>
euros go pro in the nfl as kickers occasionally
>>
Sure, it's just extremely difficult. Think of US players before academies and such started popping up in the states.

Youth development is a huge part of pro leagues these days, missing out on early motor and skill fundamentals puts you way behind curve. I think it's possible to find a gifted athlete who can be a mediocre crossover though.
>>
Inb4 hayne
>>
Baseball no, football yes, provided you have the size for it
>>
File: image.jpg (34 KB, 640x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34 KB, 640x426
He's pretty good too
>>
>>64588001
Why not baseball? Shoulder development or something?
>>
>>64587995
inb4 Rinku and Dinesh
bros played cricket all their childhood
>>
>>64588043
Baseball stresses skills and mastery of technique more than most sports.

Football stress size and/or raw athleticism in a lot of positions so it's easier for a great athlete tompickmit up at a high level right off the bat than baseball would be for the same athlete.
>>
>>64588043
Swinging at 95+ MPH balls is not something you figure out in a year or two's training.

Also as dull as I find baseball to watch, baseball at the highest level is ridiculously complex to play.
>>
if you're black
>>
>>64588162
This
/thread
>>
>>64588160
*to pick it up
>>
>>64588082
Dinesh washed out quickly and Rinku hadn't fared too much better
>>
There are a few players in the NFL that didn't play football until they were in college. I believe Darren Fells on the Cardinals never even played until the pros.
>>
If you're a really gifted athlete you could walk on to a college football team and do well for yourself. Unless you're a freak of nature, you probably wouldn't win Heisman or conference player of the year awards, but you could still play at a good high level.
>>
>>64587961
Julius Thomas didn't play football until his last year in college.
>>
>>64588082
They weren't cricket players
>>
>>64588162
>Also as dull as I find baseball to watch, baseball at the highest level is ridiculously complex to play.
I think the reason some of us love baseball is that we played enough when we were in school to understand and appreciate the complexity. Being a catcher in baseball is as complicated as being a quarterback in football, possibly more so. Calling one wrong pitch can cost your team the game, and you're going to call 150-250 pitches a game. You can't call the right pitch if you don't know the batter's tendencies, the strengths and weaknesses of both the batter and your pitcher, and understand situational baseball.
>>
Football i'd say is the easier of the two. You never, ever hear of stories like 'he started playing his first year of college and became pro' stories. But there are a lot of basketball players who became tight ends, college track and field runners who became punt and kick returners, or natty bros who just lifted and became linebackers in college.
>>
>>64588466
Also, should be able squat about 2x your body weight and bench quite a bit more than your bw. Otherwise you'll likely get manhandled, no matter how gifted you are
>>
File: thestatetrooper.jpg (53 KB, 640x557) Image search: [Google]
thestatetrooper.jpg
53 KB, 640x557
yes, actually
>>
Le did you know he was a le basketball player
Give commentary salary now
>>
>>64591750
Yeah, that's basic weightlifting. But football players also have to throw the ball ridiculously fast, right? Not very different from baseball shoulder skills...

>>64591828
Who's that?
>>
>>64593763
The guy in the picture started playing baseball in high school
>>
>>64593851
Well, that's playing while a children. Does not count.
>>
>>64593763
>But football players also have to throw the ball ridiculously fast, right? Not very different from baseball shoulder skills...

Only the quarterback and maybe one or two gimmick players but they're usually players that were QBs at lower levels that changed position
>>
>>64596472

High school is ages 15-18/19 and for baseball that is a very late start to learn all the mechanics and nuances of the game.

Most kids who play baseball in highschool have been playing since they were 4 or 5 in t-ball.

Its an exception but, a valid one. Lorenzo Caine was the MVP of the ALCS championship in 2014 and started center field in the All Star game in 2015.
>>
>>64601595
Still doesn't count.
>>
>>64593851
Tom Brady didn't play football until HS
>>
If you are a fatass and relatively hard to move you can play football.
>>
Maybe hitting a fast moving ball with a bat is too specific of a skill to master later on, but surely if there's somebody who's real good at throwing shit they could attempt for a pitcher career as an adult?
>>
>>64601780
>Canada trying to make fun of football
>not realizing they have been a football nation longer than the US
>>
>>64587961
Antonio Gates off the top of my head didnt play college ball but may have played highschool so that doesn't count. I know Jason Pierre paul only played 2 seasons of higschool football and 3 college.
>>
File: christian-okoye[1].jpg (70 KB, 666x565) Image search: [Google]
christian-okoye[1].jpg
70 KB, 666x565
>>64601664
>Is it possible for someone who never played baseball or football in their childhood to go pro in mlb or nfl?
>Childhood
>Highschool

Pretty sure it counts.

That said more NFL players start in high school and become successful compared to MLB for the reasons >>64588160 stated.

Some even later. Person in picture related started in College and played professionally just because of his size and athleticism. He did track and field first and got recruited to football
>>
File: 0430leif_larsen.jpg (19 KB, 250x315) Image search: [Google]
0430leif_larsen.jpg
19 KB, 250x315
Leif Olve Dolonen Larsen, some Norwegian literally who played for the Buffalo Bills for a little while.
>He was chosen 5 picks ahead of Pro Bowl quarterback Tom Brady in the 2000 NFL Draft.
>At the 2000 NFL Combine, Larsen bench pressed 225 lb (102 kg) 45 times, one of the best marks of all-time.
He's also a decent pro boxer, apparently.

There's also Jan Stenerud, who was a kicker on several teams in the 60s/70s. One of only three kickers in the Hall of Fame I believe.
>>
>>64602021
>>64602207
We're saying it doesn't count for a BASEBALL player who started in high school. High school is still pretty much considered "childhood".

Football absolutely is possible.

I can't tell if you're a dumbass or you didn't read the posts.
>>
>>64602249
op says football or baseball
just supplying information
relax
>>
That Margus Hunt guy is from somewhere in the Baltic buttfucks, he played his first game in Div 1 college I believe
>>
>>64602249

Yeah, and I'm saying highschool doesn't count as childhood.

Childhood ages 1-9 then comes adolescence 10-13 to the teenage years 14-19.

In terms of physical development it largely starts in the teenage years for males at 14-19 they go through puberty, growth spurts, and muscular development into adulthood.

The distinction is important because children learn and pick up on things easier as a child so learning baseball from that age is almost necessary for development into a professional player or even a competent college player.

Anyone that starts in highschool is very much behind the curb in comparison since all they can rely on is their athletic ability while trying to pick up the basics and more advanced nuances before getting to a larger stage.
>>
>>64602319
The post I responded to initally was talking about a baseball player.

You can't respond to a topic trying to prove someone wrong without even talking about the subject they were discussing.
>>
>>64602368
wut are you even talking about
i'm just saying it's possible to become pro in the nfl even though you didn't play football in childhood.
>>
>>64602363
Coach in baseball and football drastically climb in high school. Their time in high school mean the most. Ages 1-9 practically mean nothing in athletics.

Also you can't use success in football to explain something about baseball.
>>
>>64602402
I wasn't talking about football in my post.

Your response was without value or relevance to that portion of the thread.
>>
>>64602436
i don't care what you were talking about in your post, because i was talking about football in my post, and wasn't responding to you at all. i think you replied to the wrong poster 2bh.
>>
>>64602410

I wasn't using football to explain baseball. I was giving an example of someone who started later than highschool in another sport.

If you really think ages 1-9 mean nothing you should really reconsider what you know about development. Kids learn fundamentals through those ages and muscle memory. I played on a team of kids in high school who only played in highschool or maybe a few years in middle school and we would regularly get trounced by kids who played their whole lives.

Hitting, fielding, throwing mechanics, and pitching along with learning what position you are right for are things you learn while playing as a kid. Waltzing into highschool and learning all those things at the same time and then going into college is rare for a reason and downplaying the impact early development of skills like that is fairly unreasonable.
>>
>>64602492
I see you bro. I thought the post above yours was yours as well.

I agree, it is possible in football. Not baseball.
>>
>>64602581
So responding to a post about baseball with a post about football isn't using football to explain baseball? Oke
>>
>>64602624

You're getting pretty hung up on something that was extremely minor.

You said high school counts as childhood and I said it doesn't. I brushed it aside with greentext and went to explain a different sport and someone who started playing in college.

I can't really explain any better than that and you haven't refuted anything I said about highschool not being childhood either.
>>
>>64587961
Let me tell you something, I've been watching this game for 30 years, and no rookie has ever impressed me as much as Hayne has. I've seen all the greatest. I've seen 30 superbowls. I've seen it all man. Hayne has that something special that I've only seen in very few players. Players that are sitting in the Hall of Fame right now. Players that kids and men aspire to be. Hayne is special let me tell ya.
>>
>>64602848
Fine I'll bite.

Basically anytime with development and growth can be considered "childhood" the majority of physical development occurs at the 13-19 time period in a persons life. Training and coaching during that time period is more valuable than any other. All of the mental aspects of football and baseball can come with time. That's why the more experienced high school teams beat the less experienced ones. They have had more time to learn. Soon enough the other kids will catch up and it will be all good.

Football is FAR easier to learn at a shorter period of time. This is mostly due to the specialization of positions. If you fit the physical needs of a position you already have the first half.

But if you absolutely have to believe that childhood can only consist of 1-9 then sure. It isn't much of a challenge. Plently of people have.
>>
>>64602943
Can't tell if bait or doesn't know we can see his flag
>>
>>64601805
Well I think that's just the other way... pitching is too damn hard. I started training baseball at 21 and I can barely hit 83mph with my fastball... that's like highschool junior level.
Batting is way too easier, I believe.
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.