[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people overrate him so much? He was never good like Buffon,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5
File: image.jpg (61 KB, 650x450) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61 KB, 650x450
Why do people overrate him so much? He was never good like Buffon, Cech, Khan, Van der Sar tier. He only had that good World Cup where Fifa literally helped them win it, and those two following seasons with mourinho where he was phenomenal. But besides that, he wasn't that good.
>>
reflexbabby, no technique

turned to shit when he got too old and lost said reflexes

but in his prime he was world-class, yes
>>
File: casillas.webm (601 KB, 936x524) Image search: [Google]
casillas.webm
601 KB, 936x524
>>64538035
Oh good now I can post this again.
>>
true tbqh
>>
Loads of keepers are overrated. It's a meme of the week position and sometimes the meme sticks.

Tim Howard is the perfect example. Mediocre keeper for his whole career but people rate him because of one or two good games.
>>
Time spent at Real Madrid. Diego Lopez actually played better than him.
>>
>>64539041
>reflexbabby

m8 pls
>>
>>64539139
Someone post that gif with him throwing away CL trophy instead of the ball pls
>>
Not the biggest Casillas fan, but anyone who remembers CL 02 final knows that Real Madrid owes that trophy to Casillas more than Zidane. He probably was the best in the wrold from 2006 to 2011, he saved face for Real Madrid in the worst post-Galactico years time and time again
>>
>>64539190

No one rates him besides americans.
>>
>>64545934
And Everton
>>
>>64541241
This
>>
>flag

>topic

I'm Irish-American btw, not American
>>
>>64545934
>>64545988
and americans who are everton fans because of tim howard
>>
File: 1431591399506.webm (390 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
1431591399506.webm
390 KB, 600x400
>>64539340
>>
>>64538035
Overrated? He was fairly considered the best in the World for a couple of years and was really important for his club for a decade, he's given the credit a goalkeeper like him deserves. But I don't think people would generally say he's better than Kahn or Buffon at their primes.
>>
>>64538035
He was rightfully considered to be one of the best in the world. Nowadays? Not so much.
>>
OP confirmed for post 2010 barca fan.

You literally have no experience in this field young blood if you can only bring up his World Cup win.

Just fucking YouTube the dude if you aren't a troll.
>>
>>64549151

Nah. People rated him as he was a god, like he bleed skill. He only had those great reflexes, that's about it. I mean this Casillas hate only started after he left Madrid. /sp/ loved to say Casillas was good before he left to porto, even though everyone with a decent brain knew he was shit after the last euro.
>>
Best GKs of the 21st century so far:

>2000 - 2003
Oliver Kahn
>2003 - 2006
Gianluigi Buffon
>2007 - 2010
Iker Casillas
>2011 - Present
Manuel Neuer
>>
>>64550511
>present
>Neuer
That's not De Gay
>>
>>64550511
Peter Schmeichel > everyone in that list.
>>
>>64548926
What is the story behind this?
>>
madrid defence has always been trash. he used to save them every week. genuine GOAT material.
>>
>>64550915
Juventus vs Halal Madrid in last CL 2nd leg, Casillas forgets how to do a throw in, wastes time in the last minutes of the game because he fucked up. It didn't mean anything, it was just stupid.
>>
>>64550926
Ah I see, thanks
>>
>>64550915
Nothing really happened. Iker was ok that CL and the whole "BBC", Chica, Hamez, and Isco forgot how to score
>>
OP confirmed for not watching divegrass before 2012
>>
>>64539190
He's only overrated by Americasuals. He's decent in world cup games but awful in a longer season
>>
>>64550511
>t. World cup babby
>>
WHat THE HELL ?! He's probably one of the best goalkeeper ever !? Are you a footix ?

The top 3 goalkeeper :
1. Chilavert
2. Buffon
3. Iker casillas

Please look at his palmares before say piece of shit like that :)
>>
>>64550994
tried_to_hard/10
Made me b8 tho
>>
>>64538035

>all time record number of appearances in CL
>all time record number of appearances for the strongest Spanish side in history
>literally won every single major trophy he could win with Madrid (as captain as well)
>literally won every single trophy he could win with Spain (also as captain)
>IFFHS world's best goalkeeper and UEFA team of the year six times in a row from 07-12
>FIFA world XI five times in a row from 08-12
>started matches regularly for the biggest club in the world with a notoriously capricious president since he was 18

""""""""""""Wasn't that good""""""""""""

None of the keepers you listed except Buffon are even remotely close to him, and you only know them because they're from the last 15 years or so and have been massively overhyped
For me he is the GOAT and although people may not agree, the fact that he has been the best keeper for the last 20 odd years isn't up for debate
>>
File: 1441262604268.jpg (43 KB, 226x223) Image search: [Google]
1441262604268.jpg
43 KB, 226x223
>>64550953
>Casillas was ok that CL
Fuck off
>>
>>64538035
Because they don't like how Mourinho treated him and thus make him bigger than he actually was. Always was a reflexbabby who was insanely shit on corners because his spatial awareness is shit. Would've died if he went to England.
>>
>>64551091
>the fact that he has been the best keeper for the last 20 odd years isn't up for debate

One of the best, not THE best
>>
>>64551091
>the fact that he has been the best keeper for the last 20 odd years
b8
>>
>>64551175
>>64551182

Okay, name a keeper who's as good as him.
>>
>>64551301
I don't know if you mean now or in the past 20 years, but either way Buffon, who is and was better
>>
>>64550882
>muh Schmeichel
lel.
>>
>>64538035
hes been shit since about 2012 or 2013, sure. but hes been a huge part of almost every title that hes won. and hes won a lot of them. one of spain's all time greats and one of the best keepers ever.
>>
>>64551307

Casillas has won the Euros twice, Buffon made it to the final for the first time in 2012 and Casillas literally told the ref to stop the match because it got embarrassing for Italy

Casillas has five league titles compared to Buffon's six, despite competing against the strongest club side in history for the last 5 years while Juventus walked the Serie A because shit league

Casillas has won the CL three times, Buffon only got close last year

>b-b-but he only won those trophies because his team carried him!

Buffon has four IFFHS Best Goalkeeper awards while Iker has six
Buffon was selected in the FIFA world XI twice compared to Iker's five times
Buffon made it to UEFA team of the year three times, Iker made it six times

He has more trophies AND more individual accolades. The only individual prizes Buffon won pretty much came in the three, four years before Casillas won every single goalkeeping award there is to win, and that was because he's three, four years older
Buffon is better than the rest in the modern era by a fair distance but Iker is still superior
>>
great shot-stopper, but in the past years, lost his presence and 1on1 ability which he didn't have a lot of to begin with
>>
>>64551423
True, I forgot about the times when Italians actually had respectable teams

>>64551429
>lost his presence and 1on1 ability which he didn't have a lot of to begin with
This is surely a joke, the 2010 WC was literally won by Casillas stopping Robben 1v1
>>
>>64551458
meant his presence in the box, he did start losing his 1v1 abilities at around 2013 tho
>>
I think at his peak, Casillas was the best in the world. Right now though, Buffon still maintains a very great level overall like he's always had while Casillas has gone to absolute shit.
>>
>>64538035
>those two following seasons with mourinho where he was phenomenal
He stopped giving a fuck around 2010, he was nothing but above average during Mou's reign.
>>
>>64538035
he fact that real Madrid threw him away like a piece of trash infuriates me though, he deserved better than that, since he was a real club legend and should have had something like what xavi had in the nou. Yet another reason I hate halal madrid, fucking Arab money goatfucking bastards
>>
still jerking on this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v4Ckq0KHM0
>>
>>64551474
That's true, but players like Van Basten and Ronaldinho who in truth didn't produce for an extended period are still held in high regard
You have players like Friedel who can play until they're seventy, but in the end quality trumps longevity (plus Iker was elite for over 10 years, which isn't bad)
>>
>>64551543
this

Ronaldinho was only 3-4 years great
>>
casillas is the personification of everything that is wrong in spanish society
>>
>>64551746
explain
>>
>>64551420

How many times has Casillas finished in the top 3 for the ballon d'or?

Oh that's right, ZERO. Meanwhile actual GOAT tier keepers like Kahn, Buffon and Neuer have all finished in the top 3 at least once, with Buffon the only one to finish runner-up.

And lol at bringing up the FIFA XI, that shit is fan voted.
>>
>>64538035
He was the cancer that Raúl should have been. God bless him for screwing Madrid over during so many years
>>
>>64550994
>Are you a footix?

France is so cute
>>
>>64552124
To be fair, Buffon was a runner-up when the votes were not the joke they are today.
>>
>>64541241
Basically this.
There was a time in which Real Madrid was based in Casillas saves and Ronaldo's goals (the brazilian) and at that time Casillas was the best.
>>
File: image.png (821 KB, 1334x750) Image search: [Google]
image.png
821 KB, 1334x750
>>64551420

OH GOD LOL, 2/10 HERES YOUR REPLY
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.