[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /sp/. What snowboard would you recommend to a 185cm newb
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (12 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12 KB, 275x183
Hey /sp/. What snowboard would you recommend to a 185cm newb who has never snowboarded in his life?
>>
>>64537334

I would recommend you find another hobby tbphwy

Snowboarding is for 14 year olds

Unless you are 14, in which case just ask mommy to buy the dankest one she can find
>>
>>64537497
Good point, but you can also go and hang yourself
>>
>>64537334
Any rocked board that isnt too expensive. No use in buying expensive equipment if you dont even know what kind of snowboarding you like.
>>
File: ` whistler abma.jpg (41 KB, 1020x480) Image search: [Google]
` whistler abma.jpg
41 KB, 1020x480
>>64537334
>Hey /sp/. What snowboard would you recommend to a 185cm newb who has never snowboarded in his life?

Skis.
Skiing is a vastly superior sport.
New snowboards will dedicate 50% of their first few days to "ass-time".
Enjoy the pain.
At least with skis you die instantly.
>>
Well. First of all. There isn't snow nor mountains in Estonia.
>>
What is 185cm in freedom units? How much do you weigh? I'll give you a real answer
>>
>>64538047
A little under 6'1 fellow Ameribro
>>
>>64538047
6 foot something in vietnam units
>>
>>64537953
Hey dad, it's not 1970 anymore. I went to the mountains last week and saw maybe a total of 3 people on skis.
>>
>>64537334
I know nothing about brands/types of snowboards, but you want the board to go up to your chin.
>>
snowboarding is for faggots but ski boots are fucking retarded, you can't win

also too high a chance of dying with either desu
>>
>>64538077
>>64538083
Could be anywhere between 157 and 163. How much you whey OP?
>>
File: whistler pettit.jpg (56 KB, 676x450) Image search: [Google]
whistler pettit.jpg
56 KB, 676x450
>>64538166
I see snowboarders all the time at Whistler.
Not saying it's not fun once you get it, but it's slower, no good in moguls, no good in tight steep trees, sucks on flats and in dust on crust is just a snow removal machine which sucks for everybody.
And you either like the park rat-like snowboard culture or not.
Personal decision, but no one will argue that skiing is a faster and more precision sport, from racing to free-skiing.

>>64538226
>ski boots are fucking retarded, you can't win

You win by going to a professional bootfitter and getting your boots custom fit.
Then everything is great -- it's not cheap, but if you're on a tight budget neither snowboarding nor sking is a great idea: If you don't have a pass, you'll be paying around $100/day just to get on the mountain, whether you snowboard or ski.
>>
>>64537334

Arbor Foundation. Fantastic board for the price (299.99) and it will last you until you're almost advanced. Even then, it rides like a fucking dream.

http://arborcollective.com/snowboards/products/foundation/
>>
File: Ian McIntosh.jpg (28 KB, 450x300) Image search: [Google]
Ian McIntosh.jpg
28 KB, 450x300
Why is there so little ski and snowboard banter on /sp/?
>>
>>64543226
i believe its more prevalent on the wrestling board

are you hype for the 4th Phase, or are you too patrician?
>>
>>64543324
I've been weaning myself from vids these last couple of years...but it does look good.
Paradise Waits, too, and Fade to Winter in 4k which should be nice.
>>
>>64537334
Buy a pair of skis instead, snowboarding is for kids and EXTREME sports enthusiasts. I suggest carving your own skis out of redwood cedar, and strapping them to your bare feet with rope made from the tendons of a deer. Or you could just buy some from your local sports store, most likely someone there could help you find the pair that suits you best.
>>
>>64538047
>Dislikes the superior metric system
>Is fine with imprecise measurements of height

Just just yourself America and get it over with.
>>
>>64538166
Must have been them uh'merica mountains. I'm actually surprised there were three smart people there.
>>
Serious question here: as you probably know, Brazil isnt known as a snowy place. But I'm thinking about taking a vacation to a snow resort and I was originally thinking about snowboarding, but reading the thread, you guys made it look like skiing would be the better option .

I Feel like I'd enjoy snowboarding more (skating culture and such), but I'm not sure if I'd be interested if it would be close tô impossible to learn in 1-2 weeks
>>
File: 9331.jpg (90 KB, 760x428) Image search: [Google]
9331.jpg
90 KB, 760x428
>>64537497
>confirmed for black or poorfag
>>
File: seth morrison .jpg (2 MB, 3430x2287) Image search: [Google]
seth morrison .jpg
2 MB, 3430x2287
>>64543870
Skier here --- in 1-2 weeks you'd be fine. The first two days is a lot of falling on your ass, but a couple of weeks would be more than enough.
Go out of bounds ONLY if you have an avalanche beacon, shovel, and probe and know how to use them -- and no one who just took up either snowboarding or skiing should be going out-of-bounds at all.
Ski with someone, too -- we have a lot of people die around here (Vancouver/Whistler) out-of-bounds, but also die in-bounds not just from avalanches but from falling into tree wells. It's a horrible way to die, and being with a friend and knowing what your routes will be is VERY important.
DO NOT underestimate the dangers of sliding down a snowy mountain on one board or two.
It is a highly dangerous sport, as should be obvious.
Don't assume that just because you are at a resort that you won't end up dead or paralyzed or in a coma like Michael Schumacher - people are always hitting trees, rocks, flying off cliffs, etc.
The list of super-accomplished skiers and boarders who die each year is looong. And these people are light years ahead of you in ability and safety awareness.
Keep that in mind and have fun.
>>
>>64544256
>>confirmed for black or poorfag
get your racism and phony classism the fuck out of here. not that kind of sport; quite the opposite.
>>
>>64537334
How much do you weigh? Board sizes are determined by the weight of the rider and the type of riding that they do.
>>
>>64543870

If you have skated or surfed before, you'll be able to pick up snowboarding in a day or two so long as you stay away from the kids slopes.

Snowboarding is harder when you are moving slowly over a basically flat slope. Which is exactly what the beginner slope is. I almost gave up on the sport entirely the first day because of it. I feel bad for all the sorry bastards on those slopes now when I am over them on the lift.

Fortunately the second day I said 'fuck it', went to the intermediate slope, started to do the 'falling leaf', and was carving the black runs by the end of the day. Snowboarding is the easiest of the board sports IMO.
>>
is hangoverslide a sport?
>>
>>64537953
>>64538965
>>64543226
>>64543577
>>64543680
>>64543766
>>64546573

jesus christ canada
>>
>>64538965
This canuck knows what he's talking about.

I really want to switch from snowboarding to skiing but too much of a bitch to learn something new and go back to sucking.
>>
>>64544256
>>64537334
I thought skiing was for old fags and snowboarding for for young adults
>>
>>64548527
Nah it's a pretty even mixture from like 40 downwards.
>>
>>64548545
just like your moms sexual partners
>>
>Not one >>>/asp/

Has mandrama really killed /asp/?
>>
>>64537539
>being this edgy
>>
>>64548604
thats not funny dude dont talk about my mom, it pisses me off.
>>
>>64548760
Your mom seems to like it when I piss on her
>>
>>64548769
fuck you, asshole. you dont even know me or my mom.
>>
>>64548789
Nah m8 I fuck your mum's asshole
>>
>>64547052
Falling leaf is straight speed and then heel stopping to cut speed off and turn right?
>>
ITT: sucide squad

Srsly if you want to die just hang yourself or jump off a building.

Skiing is a thousand times superior and safer for beginners than snowboarding.
Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.