[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/HOC/ casual here with a question. If we all agree 3V3 OT is
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (119 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
119 KB, 640x417
/HOC/ casual here with a question. If we all agree 3V3 OT is really fun to watch why don't they just make the entire game 3V3?
>>
Because that's not hockey.
>>
>>64405283
Hockey is obviously not winning in the ratings category. Ask anyone what the best part of an NHL game is and they'll say 3 on 3 OT.
>>
>>64405393
We don't really care about ratings. And I doubt having less players on the ice would have a tremendous impact on ratings. In fact, most people would probably stop watching at that point.
>>
>>64404738
I wouldn't really like 17-15 games. Too much scoring is as bad as too little.
>>
>>64407110
I agree it would be a different game. Would be cool if there was a 3 on 3 hockey league that competed with the NHL
>>
>>64404738
> NHL team has 23 total plus room for 3 healthy scratches
> Tough enough already for players to crack the top flight

I wish games were 3-on-3 but players unions would have a total fit over this (especially if they're fringe players that spend 50/50 between AHL and NHL).
>>
>>64407146
What if it's four 10 min quarters?

You could rotate all 20 guys, idk how it's so difficult.
>>
>>64408106
The game is 60 minutes as it is.
>>
>>64408623
I meant the 3 on 3 game could be cut to 40 mins of play time.
>>
>>64405393
It's one thing to have it be exciting for five minutes. Entire games of that might get a little tiresome.
>>
>>64404738
At the All-Star Night in January

There's gonna be a 3-v-3 tournament involving teams made up of players from: Pacific, Central, Metropolitan and Atlantic conferences
>>
One of the reasons (probably THE true reason) many people like 3v3 is that players have a lot more room to move with the puck, speed up and so on...

So basically you're looking at more ice (space) per player.

But it isn't hockey, which is 5v5 + goalies.

One option in the NHL would be to open up the size of the ice to the international spec, which is much larger. If you watch European leagues (Finnish, Swedish, Russian and Swiss) you'll see the players move faster and do more 'sick' moves with the puck and it's in part due to the amount of ice they have. They play on a much larger rink.

The problem with bringing that to North America however is three fold:
1. NA audiences probably wouldn't be used to seeing the players look smaller on the ice (on TV that is)
2. Larger ice = decreased high-priced seating in the stadium. Owners wouldn't want that.
3. Larger ice = less hitting, probably less fights in the long run. North American fans may not want that (even though that is generally the direction the NHL is headed in regards to fights)
>>
>>64404738
Because part of the hockey skill set is navigating your way through the sea of players and still somehow finding a way to score a goal.

I know casuals dont see this but it would be like asking why NBA doesnt just have a dunk contest instead of games or why NFL isnt just hail marys every play. I could see that being exciting for a 12 year old but it would get stale pretty quick.
>>
>>64405393
Only anus tier casuals think that though
>>
>>64405393
> facts I pulled out of my ass: the post
>>
Why do you faggots want to change hockey all the time? It's fine where it is.

No one wants a team with one good trio to be the best, it's a team sport. That's why shoot outs are shit.

Only casual fans like shoot outs, as only casual fans want more 3v3
>>
>>64413962
International is GOAT to watch. I love the NHL but that extra ice space really makes a difference.
>>
3v3 isn't even working anymore. The number of games ending in overtime is now back to where it was last year because slower teams have adjusted and are now just playing for the shootout rather than risking a bad break the other way.

Until they actually penalize shootout wins, NHL OT will be shit
>>
>>64413962
True hockey is 6x6 with goalies. I don't count any cups won without the rover
>>
>>64415829
This. Teams are rewarded for taking longer to lose so they keep doing it
>>
>>64404738

Should we play football 6 on 6? How about 3 on 3 basketball? How about baseball teams are allowed only 2 infielders and 2 outfielders?
>>
3pts: Win or OT win
2pts: Shootout Win
1pt: OT or SOL

Implement this and the number of games going to OT will crater and the shootout will be so rare that it will become a refreshing novelty again.
>>
>>64415934
What's wrong with the shootout? I like the system we have now. Only thing I would change is to remove the loser point.
>>
It will never happen but I would be alright with less games. Three games a week + traveling has to be rough especially later on in the season. Two games a week and I bet we have less injuries, more exciting hockey with fresher players, and every game would mean more since you would have less games.
>>
>>64415934
What's wrong with the shootout? I like the system we have now. Only thing I would change is to remove the loser point.
>>
>>64415680
>No one wants a team with one good trio to be the best
That's already happened with Kane, Toews, and Keith.
>>
>>64415934
Fucking based point system, plz tell gury buttman to use this
>>
don't need to change the rules anymore but having a 50 game regular season with 8 teams making the playoffs would fix EVERYTHING in terms of enjoyment for the fans.

only thing stopping that...fucking money and greed
>>
>>64418117
No I don't think so. The reason a 12 team playoff works for the NFL is because they only play 16 games during the regular season. Each game during the regular season is very important and a playoff in and of itself within that system. Unless the NHL does something similar an 8 team playoff would be pointless. I do agree that the current schedule is too long, though. Same with the NBA.
>>
>>64404738
They should go down to 4v4 for the entire game since the changes to overtime. 3v3 would be too chaotic for an entire 60 minute game.
>>
>>64405393
The nba ratings are suffering as well, they should switch to that trampoline shit that was on spike a few years ago
>>
>>64416972
>has to be rough

you think so?

I agree with your post.
Plus, tickets: you would get more fans if they only paid 2-4 times a month in their home arena
>>
>>64408691
Why would you want less play time
>>
I feel like the biggest issue right now isn't that we need to open up the ice so much as it is all the fucking shot blocking.

It feels like--more than ever before--I'll see one or two nice moves in a row where a player will find their way to a dangerous spot on the ice and then take a shot...

Only to have it pop off of some dipshit forward's skate/shin.

Teams just crowd the middle of the ice and negate almost any legitimate offensive maneuvering by just standing there.

You can open the game up a lot (I think) if you somehow making blocking shots with your body illegal.. or take away the protectors on the skates so it is almost guaranteed to be an injury if you choose to block a shot.
>>
>>64421619
There's no way you can make shot blocking illegal. The only thing I would do to increase the number of goals is increase the size of the goalposts by 1 inch all around. The difference is minimal but it should lead to more goals. We haven't changed the size of the goalposts in forever but goalie equipment has increased in size a fuckton.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.