[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Harvard Business School gives NFL a Failing Grade in Busines
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6
File: enforcer.jpg (235 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
enforcer.jpg
235 KB, 1200x900
Harvard Business School gives NFL a Failing Grade in Business Management/Analytics

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/why-the-nfl-gets-a-failing-grade-at-harvard-business-school-184219499.html
>>
>make billions of dollars in straight profits from TV deals and advertising
>failing grade
>>
>>64401997
>I didn't read the article!
Any company can make billions of dollars. But how the company is being managed is a factor in efficiency, which can makes billions more dollars
>>
Move the league to China and take advantage of cheaper player contracts
>>
>>64402031
You're right, I don't give clicks to useless click bait listicles.
>>
>>64402031

>Any company can make billions of dollars.

uhhhhhh what
>>
>>64402031
>literally double revenue from $10 to $20 billion in a decade under goodell
>this is considered a failing grade
I could understand some argument for how not all his decisions have been for the best and he wouldn't get an A but come on.
>>
>Harvard mad because the league exposed the Patriots

Salt is a delicacy in New England.
>>
>>64401982
this is bullshit

the league is built on the principle that rivals going out of business are bad for business, and that every team should have a chance to win the super bowl.

this is why there is revenue sharing between teams - 40% of sales of merchandise at one game is given to the visiting team. the draft is also set up to ensure bad teams have the chance to get great players. there is a cap on salaries which ensures that just because a team may have more money doesn't mean they can scoop up all the best players. the quality of each team being propped up by the system itself makes great coaches, players and coordinators more likely to go to teams that are not necessarily the patriots - it makes even mediocre teams attractive options. obviously some teams go through slumps, some of them for a long time (loins) but it's not nearly as bad as what you see in baseball.

they are not a business in the traditional sense. they are more community pillars (though owners of even the least profitable teams make bank). they use a lot of tax money from the city and i know from experience that when new teams get started up there's a lot of promises as far as jobs created in the area from the team to the city. they just want to make sure that the league stays strong and that football remains a more fair game based on skill of the coordinators, coaches and players, rather than on the money that a team makes. it's not perfect, but it's not really a business either.
>>
>>64402091
lgtss
>>
File: this.jpg (13 KB, 396x272) Image search: [Google]
this.jpg
13 KB, 396x272
>>64401982
>mfw
>>
File: 1416997912386.png (269 KB, 414x480) Image search: [Google]
1416997912386.png
269 KB, 414x480
>>64402031
>Any company can make billions of dollars
>>
>>64401997
not hard to turn a profit when you are allowed a government protected monopoly
>>
>>64401982
>>64401997

If you would of red the article, youd of understand why
>>
Did you guys even read the article? It's not even about profit.
>literally judging an article by its headline
>>
>>64404587
It's a shit article
>>
>>64401982
this is why nobody takes American college students seriously anymore
Besides, you know what they say; those who cant do, teach.
>>
>>64404603
Your a shit article
>>
>>64404603
I didn't like it either, I think they were blowing the deflated balls issue way out of proportion but it's totally not about Harvard saying the NFL is not turning a profit as they should, like some people here were saying.
>>
>>64403841
It is a huge business. Just because they distribute the costs/benefits of their operation across all the teams doesn't make the whole enterprise somehow not a business.
>>
>Harvard
>Relevant

The only 3 relevant Universities worldwide are Cambridge, Oxford and MIT
>>
>>64404636
The article is kind of dumb. The NFL doesn't know shit about their footballs for sure, and that part of their analytics is definitely flawed. But why do they give a shit about the footballs? The footballs make them no money. I guarantee you the NFL has perfect analytics of jersey sales.
>>
>>64402055
>2000+16
>not outsourcing outside runs to a call center in India
>making it

Shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>64404702

Kek. I'd rather go to fucking Berkeley than any school in Great Shitain. (except the university of Glasgow)
>>
>>64404772
Berkeley's a great school, but it would be incredibly dumb to go to Berkeley for most things instead of Oxford/Cambridge, if cost is equal or irrelevant.
>>
If this Harvard dweebs are so smart, why aren't they rich?
>>
>>64404772
>I go to Berkley
>Canadian flag

LMAO
>>
>>64402031
>Any company can make billions of dollars
Damn, I never realised that. On my way to start a company, I'll be back with my billions in an hour
>>
Did harvard miss the part where the nfl is a non profit?
>>
>failing grade because the public blew a nonissue out of proportion
literally wat
>>
NFL is not a non profit anymore.

As for harvard buisness school...they just do not like that the nfl profit shares and still makes billions.

This is the same department that is teaching thaf shiping a couple thousand jobs out of country to save a couple percent us a good investment......
>>
>>64404729
>DESIGNATED SHITTING ENDZONE
>>
>>64402031
The owners run the league & they like it just fine.
>>
>>64403917
I feel like a better way to put it would be
>any company that has a monopoly on professional football can make billions

The NFL really fucked up royally with this concussion non sense. I'm about 80% sure the NFL won't exist in 50 years, unless they find a way to make concussions and other life-altering injuries a non-issue.
>>
>>64404992
>NFL is not a non profit anymore.
I thought they gave up that tag a few months ago?
>>
>>64405061
What do you mean fucked up royally? What could they have done?
>>
>>64405061
Boxing and UFC are still going to exist in 50 years, there's no reason why the NFL wouldnt
>>
>>64403917
I feel like a better way to put it would be
>any company that has a monopoly on professional football can make billions

The NFL really fucked up royally with this concussion non sense. I'm about 80% sure the NFL won't exist in 50 years, unless they find a way to make concussions and other life-altering injuries a non-issue.
>>
>>64404992
Spotted the libfag. The NFL isn't the same thing as a regular company who can lose millions on bloated salaries for unskilled workers, high taxes, and shit unions.
>>
>>64405182
That makes me think, is the NFL players union the only decent union since the fucking 40s?
>>
>>64405082
Look at the hit boxing took. Mayweather pacqioao (or whatever the fuck) has supposed to be this generations Ali v Frazier, and it was a fucking snoozefest. Maybe the NFL will exist, but football as as we know it today won't be around for long. It's going to become much more two-handed touch leaning.

I say the NFL fucked up because if they would've admitted it concussions were a seriously problem as soon as they knew it was, maybe just MAYBE we would have helmets or other devices that make concussions a non-issue. Even still today they're pulling funding for a CTE study just because the leading Doctor "has been critical of the league in the past."
>>
File: 1343864535346.gif (2 MB, 236x224) Image search: [Google]
1343864535346.gif
2 MB, 236x224
The NFL did a great job of maximizing profits.
>no shits given about player health so all expenses land on the players and not their balance sheet
>(almost) no guaranteed contracts so they can fire underperformers at will
>bully their way into insane licensing and media deals because they know people can't live without muh handegg
>force cities to publicly finance stadiums and privatize all of the profits
>in the case of the Packers, literally getting people to donate money for 1 cent pieces of paper to support a highly profitable, private company
>>
>>64405353
Everything you described has more to do with individual owners than the league.

All NFL players have health insurance paid for by the players union

Most players CHOOSE not to have guaranteed contracts because incentive contracts have a bigger potential payout. The flip side is if you perform like shit you get the boot

That's the smart thing to do if you know you have a product with large demand

That's on the owners, the League forces no one to build a stadium, not only that, but team owners are required to maintain the stadium and have to pay the city for it's use. I wouldn't want to use a shitty stadium if I have shell out millions to use it.

Those cucks have no one to blame but themselves
>>
>Harvard
>Located in Cambridge, Massachusetts
No bias at all there right?
>>
>>64405353
>no shits given about player health
I know where this is going

Good thing I didn't read the rest
>>
>>64404702

>I only went to university to get a 2:1 and get an average wage job

Probably went to some oxbridge reject uni too.
>>
>>64404475
The NFL isn't really a government protected monopoly like the Wall Street Banks, they just have a ownership structure of individual team ownership that requires an exemption. The XFL and USFL just didn't make a profit.
>>
>>64405204
The NFL players union is fucking terrible for the players.
>>
>>64405032
poo in the loo
>>
>>64405204
the NBA union is probably the best in the world
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.