[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
UK > USA
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6
File: 1.jpg (47 KB, 615x409) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
47 KB, 615x409
For the first time in history, the UK has more boxing titlists than the USA. We hold 12 proper belts while the USA only holds 8 (and that includes two for Mayweather, who may or may not be retired).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_world_boxing_champions

How come we are so strong and they are so weak? Seriously, what has changed?
>>
>a bunch of romani gypsies, irish travelers and blacks
>english athletes
>>
>>64382628
>Seriously, what has changed?
nobody watches boxing anymore so americans don't revere it and nobody trains in it
>>
File: irish fury.jpg (141 KB, 700x421) Image search: [Google]
irish fury.jpg
141 KB, 700x421
>>64382628
>Tyson Fury
>British
Top kek
>>
>>64382635
If we only count native whites from the UK and USA, then we have 7 and you have... none.
>>
>>64382674
He's a plastic Paddy. If he wasn't a world champion you'd laugh at some random cunt from Manchester claiming to be Irish.
>>
>>64382644
not a boxing or MMA fan and even I can tell this is true. boxing as a sport is all but dead here. unless there's a matching being billed as "the fight of all fights" or some shit, nobody cares. it's like horse racing, where nobody cares unless it's a triple crown race, and even then people stop caring when they lose the second race. boxing is not a sport here anymore, it's just an event that sometimes has some spotlight for all of one fight.

in order to really be a sport for us, it has to matter. all the matches are relevant. people argue on national television about which mid-tier fighters are better than others. there'd be casual participation everywhere and a strong nationwide system to train young promising boxers. that's not even close to the case anymore, so it's been dead a long time.
>>
>>64382698
McGregor-Aldo, supposedly the biggest non-heavyweight UFC fight ever, sold roughly the same amount of PPVs as Alvarez-Cotto, which was a big fight but nothing special (neither of them in the true #1 in their division, and both were soundly beaten by Mayweather recently).
>>
>>64382698
Also, you have the same amateur infrastructure you've always had. Maybe you just can't compete in a truly global sport?
>>
>>64382735
you're entirely missing the point of my post. maybe when boxing does matter briefly, it makes money hand over fist. that doesn't change the fact that boxing as a SPORT is dead here. all it is, is a once-in-a-while EVENT between big names. nobody cares about all the up and comers, nobody cares about the low ranked fighters. in order to be a real sport, you have to get attention all the time, not just during the championship matches. it's like how the NFL super bowl gets decent viewership internationally but those countries still don't care about the sport, it's just an event.

if it was really a sport that mattered, it would get media coverage all the time for any of the fights happening all year round, just like we get here for football, baseball, basketball, and hockey. but it doesn't, because it's just a niche thing that doesn't matter until the big fights, and then goes right back to not mattering again. even if you talked to most of the people that watch those big boxing fights, most of them can't tell you anything about fights other than what the media has told them about when hyping up the current fight, and can't name any mid-tier fighters. that's because it's not a sport anymore, and hasn't been for many years.
>>
>Pikeys
>Human
>>
>>64382832
Do you think that's a symptom of it being put behind a pay-wall (i.e. on HBO and Showtime)? The interest that the big events draw suggests that it has a huge potential audience, but there is just a problem of accessibility.
>>
The average Englishman would beat the shit out of the average American in fisticuffs t b h. That's why they love their guns so much.
>>
>>64382628
nobody cares about boxing anymore
>>
>>64382698
>>64382832
This. A far more interesting question than OP's is "why is boxing dead?" When there are major events like Mayweather v Pacqiao and boxing gets a little media coverage that's all the commentators talk about: "Why is boxing dead?" As an extremely casual fan I haven't seen a completely satisfactory answer but it seems like a feedback loop in way. A lot of commentators blame the PPV model for completely destroying viewership, which destroys the fanbase, which degrades the talent pool severely, which makes fights boring, which fucks up the PPV model even further, which destroys the fanbase, etc.

Nobody cares about boxing here even a little bit.
>>
>>64382832
tbf this has been said since the days of jack dempsey
>>
>>64382888
Because as usual Americans can't handle not being #1. Europeans, Hispanics and Asians chased you right out of the game and you had to invent a new sport so that you could pretend to be tough again.
>>
>>64382947
>Because as usual Americans can't handle not being #1. Europeans, Hispanics and Asians chased you right out of the game and you had to invent a new sport so that you could pretend to be tough again.
you're either shitposting or you just don't get it. We don't view boxing in terms of nationality at all. As some body else said, its an event, not a sport. 95% of white people and like 80% of Americans in general rooted for Pacquiao in the last fight. I couldn't tell you the numbers for any other fight in the last 10 years because literally not enough people care to even figure out the opinion of the public.
>>
>>64382871
possibly? I'm not that knowledgable about the inner workings of the sport itself to have a well-founded opinion there. all I can speak for is what I see as an american sports fan, and that is that boxing drives no interest in the day-to-day sports cycle 99% of the time, but the other 1% it blows up huge because there's tons of money in play.

you may have a point though. if people aren't talking about the sport top to bottom all the time, it's not going to drive enough interest to create a strong national commitment to it with great young athletes choosing to box instead of some other sport.

maybe the best approach would be to treat it like an up-and-coming minor niche sport like MLS and NASCAR have done in the past 20 years, but with more of a guarantee of late-game success because the market is there. make it super cheap to watch, widely accessible, with matches happening all the time, and tons of people will check it out. keep that up and you'll naturally drive interest in it, maybe enough to restore the sport.

one thing I can guarantee that will have to happen though as someone who follows american sports in general, is that people hate the governing body system. this multiple federation nonsense has to go, and put in a strict league-driven system with actual scheduled systems in play. don't have fighters choose their fights, don't have arbitrary times between them, make it a real unified modern league. if you don't do that, not enough disillusioned people will come back and be committed to the sport again, even if you make it cheap and widely accessible.
>>
>>64382884
>The average Englishman would beat the shit out of the average American in fisticuffs t b h. That's why they love their guns so much.
you're like the 3rd most cured nation in earth m8. we beat you in a war, and the average englishman is a MASSIVE pussy.
>>
File: image.jpg (63 KB, 1024x1024) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
63 KB, 1024x1024
>>64382947
really the decline started after the 70s. football&basketball started picking up as major sports and people saw how boxers ended up after their careers finished. every 'big guy' is now in either of those two sports.

without all beaners in America boxing would be dead. even in the sense that with all their interest in certain events interests the public in general. that's why they sing the Mex national anthem at fights when there isn't even a Mexican fighting.
>>
1215: Barons of King John draw up the Magna Carta, and invent democracy

1687: England's Brave Issac Newton invents gravity. Everyone stops floating around.

1707: England and Scotland, the two greatest nations on Earth, unite to form Ubernation Great Britain. The world looks on in awe.

1781: Great Britain starts the Industrial Revolution by building the world's first iron bridge. The world thanks Britain for dragging them out of the stone age.

1859: England's Brave Charles Darwin invents evolution. Will be used to troll Americans for centuries to come.

1928: Sir Alexander Fleming single handily kicks death in the balls by inventing antibiotics, saving billions worldwide

1942: Alan Turing invents the computer. The British government call him a fag.

1953: Watson and Crick invent DNA. No one else understands.

1972: David Bowie releases the seminal The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars.

1989: Sir Tim invents the World Wide Web, the internet, WIMP, email, wi-fi and 4chan, all in one afternoon.

2012: Great Britain hosts the Greatest Olympics of All Time. The world bows down in amazement. England's Brave Andy Murray cements GB's reputation by becoming the Greatest Sportsman Ever.

2015: Sir Tysonious Furington defeats the evil communist Russian boxer Wladimir Bitchko freeing the world and boxing from his tyrannical reign and once again proving English warriors are the greatest the world has ever seen. Less than 24 hours later England's Protector of the Realm Andrew 'England' Murray removes the skin and soul of the Belgian Chocolate Munching Paedophile David 'Shit' Goffan and his Belgian Chocolate Munching Paedophile pals
>>
>>64382884

the average Englishman is a limp-wristed fag who's afraid of swiss army knives. Any fat bully could beat them up.
>>
>>64383143
Oh look fatty made a funny
>>
>>64382628
Not one nigger among them. I may take an interest in boxing yet.
>>
>>64382635
>>64382677

Fucking REKT lol
>>
>>64383095
>invents evolution
>invents dna

The English don't even speak the language they invented, Jesus.

Also, for more bants, while Shakespeare was alive English sounded most like English spoken in the Midwest of the United States today.

And >terrible food
>>
>>64390587
>while Shakespeare was alive English sounded most like English spoken in the Midwest of the United States today.
>America refuses to accept evolution even in language
>>
>>64390587
>invents evolution
>invents dna
So you have a problem with these.
>1687: England's Brave Issac Newton invents gravity. Everyone stops floating around.
But you accept this?

I know you're new here but at least try to not let it show so badly.
>>
File: brit cops.gif (4 MB, 400x224) Image search: [Google]
brit cops.gif
4 MB, 400x224
>>64390172
>>
lol america btfo again

Is there any global sport they are good at?
>>
>>64390817

women's soccer and war
>>
>>64390817
I would say mass shootings but ISIS kind of beat them at their own game in the european championships in paris the other month
>>
>>64382635
>Americans having a go at others over the usage of blacks in sports

my sides
>>
>>64390696
>I miss a brit's shitty mistake
>it's now my mistake

Typical meme for someone who doesn't want to be held accountable for anything.
Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.