[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Regular fans owning shares of teams, being members
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (124 KB, 660x438) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
124 KB, 660x438
I was reading about Real Madrid and how it's 85,000 members ("socios") have the right to vote for team president every four years, as well as use club facilities.

Then I thought about how the Packers sell shares for stadium upgrades every few decades.

Can you imagine anyone bringing this plan to college football? Of course, you'd need very strict rules, but I can imagine University presidents signing off, since it is exactly the kind of thing that might lead to programs being more financially solvent.
>>
The Packers "shares" are worthless though. They don't get any dividends or voting rights.
>>
>>64270289
Right, the NFL is too lucrative to do this.

But oddly, I can imagine it working in college football. Do you know how many rednecks we ld put their life savings into being "owners" or "members" of Alabama Crimson Tide football? And get some use of a team Facility?

It would make the current fundraising system irrelevant.
>>
It's called boosting m8 they already do it
>>
>>64270319
its also illegal since all schools and universities are non profits, which means they cant issue shares of the school and raise public money.
>>
>>64270336
I'm aware of boosters, but giving a formal title of owner would be quite powerful.
>>
>>64270356
/thread
>>
>>64270360
No it wouldn't
It might even lessen it
>>
Technically the people already own part of their state school system. That's why in state tuition is cheaper.
>>
>>64270430
they dont "own" it, but they do pay into it with tax dollars. Where to you think state property tax money goes?
>>
>>64270473
It goes to pay for the childrens' elementary education and libraries of course ;^)
>>
>>64270503
>education
>in america
>>
>>64270275
>college football
>you'd need very strict rules
Yeah, I am sure that would work great
>>
>>64270275
>Can you imagine anyone bringing this plan to college football?

They have this it is called being a member of the alumni donor fund. The more you give the more they listen to you proportionally.
>>
>>64270587
Depends on the state desu. Alabama kids certainly aren't learning anything, but the same can't be said for Massachusetts or Minnesota kids.
>>
>>64270275

The Packers "shares" don't mean anything though, it's just a way for fans to give the club extra money in exchange for merchandise discounts.
>>
>>64270275
>sell shares

Or as most people would say, sucker retards out of a few hundred dollars
>>
Real Oviedo did this a few years back, still annoyed I didn't buy a few shares
>>
>>64270289
Correct on the dividends but there are minor and periodic voting rights.
>>
>>64270275
Real Madrid is a non-profit organization. If they were for-profit those 85k "shareholders" (not quite) would have to be paid dividends.
>>
>>64272124
It keeps the team in one place though. They have the smallest market but perennially one of the largest fan bases.

I bet it would suck to be a LA Rams or Baltimore Colts fan.
>>
>>64270289
They vote for the board of directors who elects the president.
>>
>>64270356
instead people just bribe their way to get into the booster club and be cunts there
>>
I get to tour Lambeau and have a shareholders meeting every year
>>
>>64270275
>Real Madrid and how it's 85,000 members ("socios") have the right to vote for team president every four years
That's the theory. In practice they can't vote for shit since Florentino changed the candidate requirements, making it almost impossible for any credible opposition to run for presidency. He was the only candidate during the last campaign
>as well as use club facilities.
mmm, they can get a seat depending on competition played. Access to some competitions like copa (and maybe CL?) have to be paid on top of regular membership
>>
>>64270864
Depends where you live desu, just like every state. The best schools in Birmingham are on par or above a lot of schools in Massachusetts.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.