[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm an mma noob and watching the ufc I've noticed that
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3
File: d0gx2.jpg (252 KB, 822x462) Image search: [Google]
d0gx2.jpg
252 KB, 822x462
I'm an mma noob and watching the ufc I've noticed that the striking, understandably, is different from boxing.

First, the hammerfist is often used against downed opponents that have a hard time defending themselves, is this to limit the damage to the opponent or is it simply a more efficient/powerfulstrike in these situations?

The other thing I've seen is wide swings towards the opponent. Is this to increase the potential that the punch will hit? To me it just seems like swinging your arms like pendulums seems inefficent when the gloves are so much smaller compared to boxing gloves and straight jabs and/or uppercuts would be the better alterative.

Perhaps this is explained by the requirement to keep your distance if you're a striker or something. Like I said, I know nothing about mma.
>>
nobody in mma can box for shit
>>
>>64260511
You're spot on. Holly Holm/Crocop showed how to strike in MMA while not getting taken down. Anderson Silva/BJ Penn also had some decent boxing skills. Most MMA fighters throw punches like retards.
>>
If a smart boxer stepped into an MMA fight and followed MMA rules, he would easily out fight any top MMA fighter.

Boxers understand the science of fighting, MMA is more about showing off and getting lucky strikes.
>>
>>64260511
I can say that a level change combined with a strike is dangerous because you can feint a takedown or a strike and keep your opponent guessing. That's partly why the big overhand right is popular. If you can get your opponent sprawling there's a huge window, and if they don't you can kick or double leg. Remember that takedowns change the striking distance and that entering and exiting striking range is dangerous in mma.
>>
>>64260913
MMA is about nullifying your opponents strengths. That's why boxers would get wrestled to fucking hell. Holly only managed because Ronda's grappling is ridiculously one dimensional, and she's roiled up. Holly ain't shit.
>>
File: timthumb.php.jpg (70 KB, 668x400) Image search: [Google]
timthumb.php.jpg
70 KB, 668x400
>>64260913
Pro boxers have no ground game. They are done in the first round. They would be lucky to make it one minute without tapping out or getting KO'd. Silly boxing fans.

> muh ko power tho

Boxers don't fight to KO. They fight for points. If you say otherwise then you just prove MMA is doing combat sports better than boxing ever could.
>>
>>64260913
Then why is Tyson Fury asking for rules against being taken down so he can fight cain velasquez? I don't know why I'm feeding the troll desu.
>>
>>64261106
no big gloves also means no more retarded earmuffs defense etc etc. All the slips and weaves are impossible when there's kicks.
>>
>>64260913
Boxers don't train to fight grapplers and would get killed in the first round by an average grappler.
>>
>mfw mma fags seriously think a boxer wouldnt one hit KO that wide open chin as soon as somebody shot for a takedown
>>
>>64261167
They don't train to fight grapplers when their opponent is a boxer. I can't help but think they train based on their competition, and if they happen to be an MMA fighter, they must study tape and practice to counter the style.

Boxers understand the science of fighting. MMA fighters understand the celebrity status of being a star in a sport so unrefined.

If more professional boxers jumped ship and joined MMA it'd be precision fighting like never before seen.
>>
File: couturex-large.jpg (36 KB, 490x354) Image search: [Google]
couturex-large.jpg
36 KB, 490x354
>>64261178
>wide open chin
>while going for a double/single

kek
>>
>>64261196
>boxers can catch up with wrestlers and jiu-jitsu practitioners who have been competeing in multiple disciplines for years in a matter of months because they're so damn special

Get the fuck out of here, their precision largely comes from footwork that is only possible when there's no chance of being taken down. I'm not saying MMA fighters are better athletes, but the idea that boxers could step into an MMA ring and dominate at the levels they did in their own sport is ridiculous.
>>
>>64261196
You mean they understand the science of fighting an extremely limited one dimensional fight.

Sure they could learn, but any boxer is at least a few years of training away from becoming a competent mma fighter.
>>
>>64261196
>implying people wouldn't just start with muay thai coupled with deep doubles again. You'd see huge leg kick KOs and so on.
>>
>>64260511
hammer fists mean you hit with almost no padding since the gloves are mostly protecting the knuckles. No padding = more damage

Most fighters transition from wrestling, where a wide open stance and arm swings are common ways to initiate a clinch and grappling scenario. When you wrestle for 10-15 years since you were a little kid, you have to adapt your fighting to your wrestling and do what comes natural.

In boxing if you throw wide looping punches like those, you get punished by a double jab before your punch lands. In MMA it is harder to jab consistently, since the distance between two fighters changes constantly from kicking range to punching range to grappling/clinching. A good jab requires many years of training and dedication. Boxing is an art of perfecting a specific type of striking (to score points and maintain a solid defence whereby you will not be scored against). MMA is just fighting, the things you see fighters do work in the scenario they are in, so they keep doing them.

A pure boxer will almost always outscore an MMA fighter if they were to just agree to box each other. But he or she would be completely clueless if they just had to fight, short of landing a devastating one punch ko very quickly into the fight, their chances of winning quickly diminish.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.