[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are Australians so dominant at team sports?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4
File: sport.jpg (34 KB, 435x308) Image search: [Google]
sport.jpg
34 KB, 435x308
Shitposting aside, when you look at a country with a population of only 20 million, it's hard to find any other nation that is comparable with Australia in regards to team sports. They are so dominant in Rugby League, Cricket, Field Hockey and Netball. They do very well at Rugby Union, finishing runners up in the world cup this year, and they are surprisingly decent at soccer having won the Asian cup. Even in Basketball which America of course dominates at, they are still comparable with countries like Spain who are quite good.

Now bear in mind that the national sport is Australian Rules football, meaning half the population doesn't really care about the rest of these sports, putting them realistically at 10 million.

Another fact to consider is that unlike America and England, Australia didn't invent any of these sports. So is there any other nation that is on par with Australia in regards to team sports?
>>
>>64240616
>Rugby League

Literally the only country in the world that cares about this sport is australia

>cricket
top competition is DESIGNATED SHITTING STREETS - not impressed

>Rugby Union
Literally 4 other countries that take this sport seriously (UK, New Zealand, South Africa, France). Union fags will respond to this and say it's massive in italy, japan, argentina and ireland but that is simply not true.

>suprisingly decent at soccer
objectively false. they are ranked 57th which is terrible

>basketball

They have had some good players but they are not on the level of spain. international basketball is kind of an unorganized joke though so I wont knock points for this.
>>
File: 1440534061462.png (80 KB, 500x501) Image search: [Google]
1440534061462.png
80 KB, 500x501
>>64240616
>Shitposting aside
>>
>it's an Australian thread
>>
>>64240772
I hate rugby union, but it is huge in Ireland. I lived in Dublin, definitely one of the most popular sports and the nation went mad when they got the triple crown.
Their top competition for best cricketing nation isn't India, either. It's South Africa.
Don't use FIFA rankings as your metric for determining the value of a nation's soccer team. That's so shocking pleb that you should be embarrassed. They've made a decent show of themselves in the World Cups, minus Brazil.
You're right about basketball.

From my time spent in Australia, it is a very very athletically focused populace, more so than any other country I've been to. People were always running or playing sport, even in June, July and August. Their culture and climate make it a good place to produce athletes.
>>
>>64240616
>field hockey

a female sport. not relevant

>netball

another female sport nobody cares about.
>>
>>64240904
I know lot's about soccer. Australia can be safely filed under shit tier. They only qualify for world cups because their competition is awful and their route is the easiest in the world.
>>
>League

Literally only country in the world that cares about this

>Cricket

Gets played separate from the other sports so theres a lot of cross over fans. Also apart from England only third world countries care about it.

>Union

No argument there but theres so much crossover from league that its not too surprising. Also not many countries again so theres not as much competition.

>Football/Soccer

>Asia Cup
>Decent

They're pretty shit worldwide and would struggly to qualify for the world cup if they had to do it through Europe or South America.

>Basketball

>Implying this is at all relevant

>>64240772

I agree with you mostly except saying that union isn't big in Ireland. Potato niggers will deny this but they care about it a lot, especially at club level.
>>
>>64240904
Also when I was in ireland people were GAA fans and openly mocked rugby. Maybe that has changed now that they have improved.
>>
>>64240904

>Even in June, July and August.

Its their winter, why the fuck would it be surprising they're out and about then?
>>
>>64240973

Where in Ireland were you?
>>
>>64240951
>I know lot's about soccer.
> They only qualify for world cups because their competition is awful and their route is the easiest in the world.
Not even close. Asia and the last spot out of Africa are easier to attain than CONCACAF qualifications.
>>64240973
GAA fans are only out in the country, when I was there. Rugby was the city sport.
>>64240993
Not surprising, was only illustrating that they can play sports year round, which makes their talent production better. In the US, our states of Texas, California are such strong producers of athletic talent because they can play their respective sports year round.
>>
>>64240616
>shitposting aside
but this is shitposting.
>>
>>64241008
limerick (sp?)
>>
>>64240772
>League
You're right, quite a small sport, but Kiwis love it when we beat them because they're so into it kek
>cricket
Now hold on there, whitey, test cricket is one of the most elite sports in the world, but Aussie are certinly not #1 in the world atm. Again we love it when we beat the becuase they care so much lel.
>Union
Our national sport, so obviously we care a lot. That's why we insist BTFOing Ausshit every time we play. But yes, it's a small sport internationally, just ice hockey.
>soccer
Most popular sport in the world indeed.
>for impoverished hues and euro homosexuals.
>basketball
Actually matters. The NBL (Aus bball league) champs are NZ kkk. You can't make this shit up.
>>
>>64240969

>fare decently against the Netherlands who beat Spain 5-1

Australia outperformed England at the last world cup, you mong
>>
>>64240905
Field hockey is objectively more dangerous than ice hockey. They don't wear armour.
>>
File: 1442968875193.png (29 KB, 697x283) Image search: [Google]
1442968875193.png
29 KB, 697x283
>we are best sports with small population hurr

Pic related: this is always a good indicator. Olympic medals per capita. Oh shit look...

B T F O A G A I N

Based Scandinavia tßh
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (115 KB, 420x310) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
115 KB, 420x310
>>64241292
Sorry Reality Kek, shitposti8ng at 7am is tough, wrong pic
>>
>>64241178
>indonesia

does this country even play a sport other than kidnapping white children and getting butthurt when they are rescued?
>>
>>64241178
That's like saying modern day fencing is more dangerous than medieval combat because they don't wear armor. The rules in place in field hockey limit injuries a significant amount (ie, strict limitations on stick movement, physical contact). Were ice hockey to be played without padding in the modern game it would be a blood bath.

I've played both, Ice Hockey is way more dangerous.
>>
>>64240616
If you think Australia is impressive then Uruguay will blow your mind.
>>
>>64241314
I was referring to team sports, it's debatable whether 3/4 of Olympic events are even sports at all.
>>
>>64241382
Nice to see you didn't have an argument so you resorted to insulting another country.

Time for you to leaf.
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.