[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
weight classes in mma are bullshit. bigger guys just cut to
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2
File: buttato.jpg (147 KB, 1098x960) Image search: [Google]
buttato.jpg
147 KB, 1098x960
weight classes in mma are bullshit.

bigger guys just cut to make weight to fight a smaller guy.
>>
File: 1365209180102.gif (3 MB, 405x350) Image search: [Google]
1365209180102.gif
3 MB, 405x350
>>64236065
Upset meximanlet detected
>>
>>64236093

not even. connor was shit talking about it too because he knew he was a bigger guy. naturally 180 i hear at 5'9.

how does he cut 40 lbs its bullshit.
>>
>>64236065
yeah but then you can be stronger if you're smaller
>>
>>64236201

you can have more weight if that's what you mean. having more mass doesn't mean you're stronger.

GSP would fight Matt Hughes, and Matt Hughes had to use everything he had to beat GSP.

5'9 vs 5'11, with GSP at 5'11 and a rookie when he fought Matt Hughes, at the peak of his championship career.
>>
Weight classes exist to make money.

You want the best fighter? No weight classses.

You want free money? Oh there are 7 best fighters, pay us to watch all of them!!!
>>
>>64236221
muscle mass is directly related to strength m8
>>
>>64236225

ya. i realize not everyone is the same height but when a 5'9 180 lb guy can cut 40 lbs to fight someone that is 5'6 140 lbs it seems a little unbalanced.
>>
>>64236246

i get that but maybe someone who is naturally 180 lbs cutting to 140 lbs doesn't mean he lost 40 lbs worth of muscle strength, compared to someone who is naturally 140-150 or so lbs.
>>
what if Connor McGregor fought at 180lbs, his natural weight, versus some 6'3 guy who cut to 180 but is naturally 225 or so?

weight classes are pretty useless, and they only serve as a front to fool the public masses to the legitimacy of the match ups.
>>
There's a limit to how much you can cut. You absolutely need to have at least some weight classes. Imagine Klitschko fighting Mayweather. What's the point?
>>
just last weekend someone died from cutting weight

its not some simple and safe task

so it is a high risk thing for high reward
>>
>>64236262
What do you think weighs more muscle or fat? There's only so much fat you can cut, besides, what stops the smaller guy from being just as cut? Nothing, he always has the chance to pack on more muscle
>>
>>64236320
>>64236251
>>64236221
>>64236195
>>64236065
if it's really such bullshit and everyone knows the taller guy is going to win don't people just bet a million on the obvious win?
>>
>>64236246
not exactly such a simple thing as that...look at a guy like, cain velasquz taking down brock lesnar by overpowering him. he obviously has less muscle mass than brock. it's the quality of your muscle fibers and fat is also a source for power. look at any strongman competition most of the guys have a good amount of fat.
>>
>>64236428
Pleased to be explaining Frankie Edgar.

Or how George Roop or Stefan Struve aren't champions.

Or why you would say things without having any sort of idea what you are talking about.
>>
>>64236358
>Imagine Klitschko fighting Mayweather
I would pay to see that.
>>
>>64236534
no I admit i don't watch mma never have and never will. i don't know any of the people you referenced so your comment doesn't make any sense to me. I'm asking why don't people betting always bet on the obvious win and make millions off of it? why aren't you making money off of it if it's incredibly clear to you who is going to win?
>>
>>64236382
You know what weighs a lot? Water. That's what you shed when you cut. Not fat or muscle. You dehydrate the shit out of yourself, then hydrate yourself back up without having to give up muscle mass.
>>
The fuck are you talking about. Everyone cuts some amount of weight. You watched the Aldo McGregor fight and have no idea what you are taking about.
>>
>>64236549
Frankie Edgar is a former light weigh champ who is only 5'6". He has fought his entire (very successful) career against guys bigger than himself.

George Roop is a bantamweight fighter (135 lbs) that's 6'1". He's lost plenty of fights to guys 4-5 inches shorter than him.

Stefan Struve is literally 7 feet tall. He's a decent fighter, but has never won a championship and again loses fights to guys he's 6-8 inches taller than.

Height and reach are tools, but aren't even close to being the only determining factor when it comes to winning fights.
>>
>>64236065
Jokes on them. The smaller guys just cut down too, so they just end up fighting guys of a similar size anyway.
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.