[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>have great talent that would bring in tens of millions of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3
File: futurelaborhero.jpg (159 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
futurelaborhero.jpg
159 KB, 640x400
>have great talent that would bring in tens of millions of dollars on open market
>be beholden to negotiated labor agreement because federal government allows your employers to ignore anti-trust law
>CBA was negotiated by veteran players who don't have any incentive to care for your interests as a young player
>have team blatantly circumvent the spirit of the rules of the CBA by keeping you in the minors for 2 weeks even though you were the
best player on the team in spring training
>CBA now requires another whole year of service to an employer that you had no say in choosing

If I was Kris Bryant I would contribute NOTHING to the Cubs during my final year. I would show up to all team activities so that I would not have my payments suspended, but I would go up to the plate and keep the bat on my shoulder every time until they bench me. It is complete garbage that baseball is allowed to use young players as indentured servants.

Young players have no say in the CBA so it's stupid they they are bound to it's terms. If I had immense talent like Bryant does, I would see if any team would give me a non-union contract that pays my market value. If the union tries to stop it, go to a right-to-work state. If the league tries to blacklist you, sue them for collusion. Crash the system with no survivors.
>>
Fuck off, communist. Check these dubs, faggot.
>>
Lmao ass mad southside liberal
>>
>indentured servant
>he makes more a year than brain surgeons playing a game

Yeah, I don't really feel bad for him
>>
>>64076804
>muh soldiers and teachers deserve higher pay why do athletes get paid so much!!!!
>>
File: cl.png (108 KB, 228x221) Image search: [Google]
cl.png
108 KB, 228x221
>>64076612
>implying this wouldn't result in a salary cap.

if he's really that great, he should just handle his shit for a year, then go off and sign a 9 figure contract.
>>
Bryant wasn't even the Cubs best rookie last season.
>>
>>64077676
Honestly I'm not much of a baseball fan. But he hit 26 home runs last year. How many rookies do that?
>>
>>64077676
jake arrieta isn't a rookie senpai
bryant was arguably better than even rizzo
>>
>>64076612

Why would you literally spend a year not swinging at a pitch?

Do you even baseball?
>>
>>64077746

He was one fire for the first half of the season but seriously burnt out by the later half. On raw talent he is the best but he wasn't the most consistent.
>>
>>64077859
Why not? It's not like they'd keep playing you. You'd maybe go 0-10 and just get to chill the rest of the year collecting checks. It's called "spite"
>>
>>64077934

>being spiteful
>not wanting to get the most out of your career
>>
You sound like an idiot

I don't doubt that you aren't one either
>>
>>64077934
but he plays baseball because he likes it, probably
also he has too much pride to not be the best he can be
also he could raise his value by having a good year
>>
>>64077934
That's called entitled cunt stupidity

You'd lose countless sponsors, future pay, you're risking your own playing ability, and the entire baseball world virtually hates you no matter what side they're on
>>
>
If I was Kris Bryant I would contribute NOTHING to the Cubs during my final year. I would show up to all team activities so that I would not have my payments suspended, but I would go up to the plate and keep the bat on my shoulder every time until they bench me.
And thereby end your career because no team would ever sign your sorry ass again? That's not particularly wise.
>>
>sign contract
>be mad at contract

Fucking kids leave /sp/ now
>>
>>64078123
You say that as if he had any choice over the contract.
>>
>>64078178
He could have, you know, not signed it.
>>
>>64078059
>>64078081
>>64077998
Have none of you ever heard of the term "holding out"? It happens all the time. I just modified it so they still have to pay you while you hold out.
>>
>be GOAT high school baseball player
>move to some foreign country
>become an international free agent
>profit

no ???? required
>>
>>64078296

>holding out
>leaving after last year of contract

That is moronic. Typically a player holds out when they are discussing a new contract with their current team.
>>
>>64078296
>I just modified to a scenario where it makes no sense and you deliberately throw games
>>
>>64078256
but then he couldn't play baseball
>>
>>64078178
He could go to Japan or get a job bagging groceries if he doesn't want a charmed life getting paid to play a child's game
>>
>>64078384
Everyone else plays by the same rules and knows what they are if they want to play MLB why does he think he's so special?
>>
>>64078256
There is a standardized contract that rookies are forced to sign if they play in MLB, subject to the terms that the player's union bargained for. The problem is that player's union is all current players, so they have no incentive to not fuck over rookies. If they agree that rookies get paid shit, then teams have more money to spend on veterans. Rookies can't go outside of this system because MLB teams collude with each other. Normally this is illegal but baseball was granted a special exception decades ago.
>>
>>64077934
>Imblying paying you for nothing

He's not getting waived.
He plays just like many who aspire to get the the show - because they really like it.

Why would you quit doing something that you really like? You could get your pay suspended and could help to negotiate a better deal for the next CBA.

Not playing does not help his case.
>>
>>64078384
C'est la vie. Dreams come with a price, if you wanna live your dream of being a baseball pro, you have to accept the rules of the game.
>>
>>64078569

>Curt Flood
>>
also niggas still get paid like 500k minimum, which will go way up in a couple years with arbitration if you're really good
>>
>OP argues for anti-union pro-capitalist compensation
>these dumbasses call him a communist liberal:
>>64076661
>>64076683
No wonder this country is so fucking politically/economically retarded
>>
>>64078719
Doesnt capitalism encourage honoring your contracts?
>>
>>64078593
Played literally 13 games in total after his lawsuit. Changing the game also comes with a price, just ask Jean-Marc Bosman.
>>
>whole gimmick is we're building for the future
>centerpiece of the plan for the future just flat out said he's gone the second he's able
lel
>>
>>64078533
He would "play" though. He would just not help the team to win games. It accomplishes the same effect as holding out but prevents them from being able to suspend you.

Yes it's cheeky and working around the rules, but that's what the Cubs did to him to begin this.
>Contracts give control of player to a team based on years in the majors
>An official year is when you are in majors for 172 days or more
>Bryant plays better than anyone on the team in spring training, hitting 9 home runs, more than anyone else in majors
>Cubs hold him in minor leagues for first two weeks anyway, saying he "needs to work on his fielding"
>They call him up to the majors in April, leaving him 170 days to be with the team that season
They basically manipulated the system to get a full year of play from him while not having it count toward his years til freedom. Which is why it's be right for him to manipulate them back by giving them no benefit during the final year when he is supposed to be free anyway.
>>
>>64078795

No - there's nothing in micro-economics saying a rational actor has to honor a contract.
>>
>>64078797

True dat. Not sure if Kris wants to change the game though
>>
File: XMAN.jpg (19 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
XMAN.jpg
19 KB, 620x349
>>64078880

Then hold out and sign a MLB contract which forces teams to add you to the 40-man roster.

A number of players did that out of college.

Pic related.
>>
>>64078795
Most contracts require you to act in good faith on certain things. That's what the official arbitration appeal is about in this. Whether the Cubs intentionally held him in the minors to gain an advantage in contract negotiations later on.
>>
>>64078999
Didn't know that was a thing they were allowed to do. Thanks. I suddenly don't care about this Bryant guy at all now.
>>
>mfw they go back and use that time when the GM or Maddon or whoever lied through their teeth saying he wasn't ready yet (and then called him up literally the second the deadline passed) as proof that the Cubs dindu nuffin
>>
>>64079048
Yeah

If I remember correctly Jon Olerud also did that. It's pretty rare but it happens. A bunch of Cuban players have done that too - I think Kike Hernandez and Aroldis signed contracts that put them on the 40-man roster, but I could be absolutely wrong.
>>
>>64076612
>If I was Kris Bryant I would put up shit numbers in a contract year

NOW we see why you never made the majors.
>>
>Knowing the rules and the system
>Still choosing Scott Boras as your agent
>Still demanding overslot money and getting it
>Team knows you're all about the money
>Team decides to control your salary for an extra year, because it's allowed based on the current system
>Kris Bryant made his bed and he wants to eat it too

I'm a huge Cubs and Bryant fan, but when you make it clear you're all about the money, you have nobody to blame but yourself.
>>
There's plenty enough wrong with the current MLB system that you don't need to go compromising a team's ability to control their young players' tenures.
>>
>meme position players doing meme negotiations to acquire meme currency from their meme team
Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.