[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sports radio
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (42 KB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
42 KB, 300x225
Just a thread to talk about some sports radio memories you might have.....

Were you a sports talk radio junkie? I was with WFAN for several years in the 90s.

Did you ever have any rituals in terms of the way you listened to it?
>>
When I lived in Indianapolis in 1999, I used to listen to Jim Rome during the day and "ESPN Radio Up All Night" at night. I'd usually go park in some fast food joint parking lot around 11pm and listen.
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 1119x597) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 1119x597
Pic related

In order to understand this photo, you'd have to know obscure comedies and sports talk radio addiction........
>>
>>64058328
Honestly who fucking cares senpai
>>
>>64058484
sports talk radio was the precursor to this /sp/ culture you value
>>
>>64058328
B&C in the morning, pope in the evening used to get me through commutes tbhonest
>>
>>64058328
Not sorts radio, but /sp/ calling into c2cAM during the rapture was a cozy night
>>
File: image.jpg (47 KB, 600x511) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
47 KB, 600x511
>>64058328
When the big O got demoted

Now its felger and mazz

Who took over wbcn

>who boston radio?
>>
I used to listen to WIP a bit
back when it was 610, to give you an idea of how long ago that was

Never the morning show, though. That shit was unlistenable.

Ray Didinger on the weekends was super comfy
>>
One memory I have from college....I went to Purdue.....was the night that McGwire hit number 62 and there was a huge celebration was also a night where KMOX Radio came in clearly from St. Louis, so it was nice to experience that then.
>>
>>64058484
Seriously fuck off

/sp/ is sports radio with less trip fags or famous callers
>>
>>64058533
Jim Rome in 1999 had everything we know - memes, trash talk, salient discussion
>>
>>64058608

tripfags are the callers. anons are the people who tweet and email the show
>>
>>64058539
One of my best friends still can't get to bed without having heard either C2C, Bell or John batchelor on the radio.....he has a 15 year habit of that.
>>
>>64058593
I grew up in Nj, but we get both NYC and philly stations
When I was a kid, I watched Mike schmidts phillies teams a lot and Howard eskin was the pre game show host.......I found it funny that eventually he became known as a troll
>>
What are some good overnight sports shows that I can listen to live online? Local and/ or national

I only know the ESPN show.
>>
Jay mohr's show is pretty good
>>
I listened to one on one sports with dudes like papa joe chevalier and arnie spanier back in the 90s. shit was comfy

>tfw you fapped to the fabulous sports babe before you discovered that she was a butterham
>>
>>64059217
MOHRRIORS LET'S RIDE!

When I delivered pizza in college all I did was listen to sports talk. Even now I enjoy the radio threads on spee. Chiefs losing to the Broncos in 2013 was great.
>>
File: TheVoiceoftheVols.jpg (55 KB, 500x347) Image search: [Google]
TheVoiceoftheVols.jpg
55 KB, 500x347
He's at the 45 to the 40... 35, 30, 25, 20,15, 10 to the 5.... GIVE HIM SIX! TOUCHDOWN TENNESSEE!!!!!!
>I will be fucking devastated when he dies.
>>
File: ragonk2.jpg (152 KB, 576x1024) Image search: [Google]
ragonk2.jpg
152 KB, 576x1024
Who /ragonk/ here?
>>
Steve Somers here
and you there.

Ed Scozzare on the other side of the glass....
>>
If your radio sounds funny in the morning you're listening to Imus in the morning
>>
File: SOMERS-superJumbo-v2.jpg (389 KB, 2048x1365) Image search: [Google]
SOMERS-superJumbo-v2.jpg
389 KB, 2048x1365
>>64059651
".....Schmooozing....."

but Steve's greatest contribution to radio might not even be his well-written monologues....it's his trademark trolling move where he talks and talks and talks and builds up your attention, and then presses a button and you get THIS*:
https://youtu.be/18caPNisP2U?t=4s

*THIS = not necessarily that moment, but moments like that that troll a particular fan base, usually the New York team who the listeners are butthurt about.
>>
File: rome.jpg (7 KB, 239x115) Image search: [Google]
rome.jpg
7 KB, 239x115
admit it, he was what you needed at the time.
>>
Why is Amy Lawrence on the radio? Such a vapid cunt.
>>
File: mike dog.jpg (171 KB, 640x996) Image search: [Google]
mike dog.jpg
171 KB, 640x996
>>64059832
probably primarily because she can get a rise out of people. That's really a sports talk host's primary job.
>>
>>64058484

Religious Boers and Bernstein listener from 2007-2012 before Bernstein got too full of himself. I know they've been around since the 90's but I only started getting interested in radio mid 2000's.
>>
>>64058404
is that outside Wrigley?
>>
File: Ba9uwdC.png (457 KB, 315x567) Image search: [Google]
Ba9uwdC.png
457 KB, 315x567
Sports talk radio saved my life. I had a well paying job that made me commute 40 minutes into the fucking sticks on boring ass country roads that would be a straight line for 16 miles or so.

Music would get boring and I would almost fall asleep. But with sports talk I could always get mad and argue with whatever the guy on the radio was saying and it kept me super alert
>>
>>64059881
Shes not good at that, she very PC and cautious on what she says anyways. She stumbles over herself constantly when trying to talk about anything.
>>
>>64058404
>>64059912
yes, it's from "I Want Someone to Eat Cheese With" a movie where the guy has no life and he spends his nights parking near Wrigley and eating junk food and listening to sports talk.
>>
File: bigfan.jpg (153 KB, 576x864) Image search: [Google]
bigfan.jpg
153 KB, 576x864
I don't know about you, but I fucking loved this movie.

The guy who wrote it also wrote The Wrestler. he was co-founder of The Onion.
>>
File: theticket.jpg (2 MB, 2556x1834) Image search: [Google]
theticket.jpg
2 MB, 2556x1834
Grew up in Dallas, The Ticket will forever be GOAT
>>
>>64060135
was it all local coverage?
>>
>>64059928
which shows or hosts were you listening to?

what station
>>
>>64059824
>every year told myself I was going to try and get in the smack off
>every time i would get the ring i would hang up because i knew i was gonna get run

I miss college.
>>
>>64060201
In my mind, it was Rome's show that first really used "Epic" in the way that the internet is quite fond of.
>>
>>64060170
Majority? Yes. All? No. They definitely cover the Cowboys more than anything else but aren't exclusive to Dallas sports or even sports really. It's more a guys radio with a heavy focus on sports but they do segments on other things to like this http://www.theunticket.com/fun-with-country-music-2-12-14/
>>
>>64060291
what would you say is the breakdown of College football team coverage on that station? just wondering

UT/TAMU/Baylor/SMU
>>
>>64060291
They have a deal with SMU and broadcast their games so they talk about them more than anybody else in the country does but I would still say more UT than anything else
>>
>>64060230
It was a lot of fun while I was into it. Last show I listened to in full was the 11/11/11 episode, then bits and pieces of the 12/13/14 because personal appearance smack was always great.
>>
File: bakerslut.jpg (113 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
bakerslut.jpg
113 KB, 640x640
>>64060195
Fox Sports 970
I would get though the 2nd hour of the jim rome show driving to work. I would catch the Petros and Money show on my way back home.Occasionally I would shift over to ESPN 1230 bakersfield to catch my alma mater playing baseball or basketball games sometimes too

I am a hockey fag so I would also download podcasts of Hockey Central at noon to listen to if Jim Rome was taking the day off and had a faggy guest.

My first week driving out I feel asleep and lunged my car 3 lanes to the right and slammed on the brakes. desu I could have killed somebody or gotten paralyzed if I had not been lucky and not had any traffic that day.
>>
>>64060403
is bakersfield anything like that movie The Best of Times?
>>
>>64060427
>The Best of Times
I guess it might have been like that a few generations back. The town has had 100,000 people move in since 2000 and people dont want to pay all the cash it takes to live in LA.

When I talk to old fags they make it seem like the city was nothing more than a truck stop back in the 60's and 70's
>>
Proof of The Ticket's legendary status https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPJowXgH3YU
>>
>>64060595
wtf is happening here?
>>
>>64060595
what the fuck
>>
>>64060595
>>64060619
ah, I see...this guy's good....one of the only times I've ever seen anyone keep up with Zach
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.