[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm looking to get into soccer and start watching it. I'm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4
File: soccer.jpg (8 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
soccer.jpg
8 KB, 275x183
I'm looking to get into soccer and start watching it. I'm leaning toward liking Aston Villa, even though they are dog shit they got lots of history. I'm a Yank by the way so i'm looking to learn more about it all. Most of my teams are mediocre btw like the Bears for example.
>>
subscribed.
>>
Aston Villa are worse than mediocre m8
>>
>>63936187
i know i looked and they are total shit, but i'm used to it with the bears usually sucking and the cubs being horrendous.
>>
If you want to follow a mediocre team with bunch of history you can choose Manchester United too.
>>
If you want mediocre, watch everything because soccer as a whole is vastly overrated and actually shit.
>>
spurs mate

big american following
>>
>>63936215
way way too overrated, i'm not liking the cowboys of soccer.

>>63936224
tottenham right?
>>
There's not much point in choosing Vila, they're going to get relegated which means you won't even get to see them on TV most weekends.

Pick a team that's safe from getting relegated like Everton if you don't want to be a bandwagoner.
>>
If you want a team you can watch on TV regularly in the US then Villa would be a bad choice because they're about to get relegated this season.

Southampton might be a good team if you want mediocre. Good team and play good football but will probably finish 7th or 8th if they're lucky.
>>
>>63936176
>my teams are mediocre btw like the Bears

Pick Tottenham. Their comical inability to do better than their rivals is so much like the Bears with the Packers. Plus, their team is getting better fast. You can watch some of the most exciting young players in the league before they all get sold off to Manchester United or Real Madrid in a few years.
>>
>>63936241
aw shit, hmm may have to think then.

>>63936245
Yeah i prefer starting with a mediocre team and watching them grow over the years.
>>
>>63936211
>I like to feel pain
Why
>>
Pick Everton. Solid mid-upper table team most years and has Tim Howard on the team. Landon Donovan played there too
>>
>>63936176
Try westham or maybe Cristal palace
>>
>>63936229
Spurs is a good choice because it's not a total fuccboi thing like Chelsea or neckbeard thing like Arsenal and it's in a city that you might actually one day go to. This would also include West Ham and Crystal Palace, but their fans are thugs and jihadis respectively.
>>
File: actually.png (531 KB, 754x1228) Image search: [Google]
actually.png
531 KB, 754x1228
>>63936176
you dont need to follow a team to get into a sport

Just watch the ESPN soccer resume, use google for the parts you didnt get and when you are contextualized watch the match you think you would like

If dont work, repeat the process with specific players

If you really want to get into following a team, first watch some matches from the current greats teams, then get mad about what your underdog team cant fucking do right
>>
Spurs/Liverpool are a good bandwagon choice since they're good enough for you to enjoy the games but not good enough to win all the time and make you look like a faggot for supporting them
>>
>>63943963
Leyton Orient tb...h
>>
>>63936176
don't choose a team. Watch a bunch of games, listen to podcasts, read message boards, and you'll find yourself gravitating to a certain team/fanbase
>>
>>63936211

The difference is that Aston Villa are probably getting relegated this season so you might not be able to follow them next season.

Try Southampton, Swansea or Everton if being decent enough is your thing. Spurs and Liverpool are good shouts too.
>>
#pray4guzan
>>
support wet spam like I do

they are a big club with lots of support because London club and they sign decently good players but are midtable eternally so no chance of bandwagonning
>>
Why do americans do this? Choosing a mediocre team to support so you can look good with your internet friends in a mongolian puppet forum.
Support your local club or fuck off.
An american newcastle fan is as pathetic as an arab Barcelona fan, except the sandnigger actually has fun watching a good team playing, Instead of the hipster faggots going >muh suffering when the shitty team they chosed plays like shit.
>>
I don't understand why you don't just watch as much as you can where you will naturally gravitate towards a club
>Caring what retards on the internet think
>>
>>63944548
>>
United fan here. In no order here's my opinion on a few teams with no reasoning and a little bit of bias.
>Villa are shit. Like really shit so i'd avoid.
>Chelsea are just really easy to fucking hate.
>Arsenal are OK. Good team. Calm manager nothing much to dislike.
>Liverpool are cool. Fans are very passionate. Lot of history. Hate united but w/e
>Everton fans are hard to listen to. They hate Liverpool (far superior team) and won't stfu about it.
>Man city are a good team but never really liked them
>Newcastle are shit. Fans are OK like
>Crystal palace are a bit shit. Rough crowd (I live local to them but never thought of supporting them)
>Southampton are average with good supporters
>Spurs are cool. Fairly good team but boring supporters.
>Swansea are cool. Good team with fucking great supporters. Upset team as well, they pull off a lot of random wins against teams they wouldn't normally beat.

Don't have much opinion on any other teams. You could support united but you'll forever be accused of jumping on the bandwagon or supporting them because they're the best. I've supported them my whole life (because my dad does) and this is the one thing that I dislike about being a fan.
>>
>>63936176
Here's my #2cents, anon.

I was like you a few years back and I watched some games for a couple of months and ended up with Aston Villa myself. At the time they were -- for Villa's standards at least, in form. They were winning some games against some of the better teams and were generally exciting to watch. It also helped that they had a couple of games broadcasted in a row in the states. However, you see where they are at now, and I unfortunately feel stuck with them.

So here is my advice if I could go back:

You are trying to get into the sport right now. There is no reason to pick a team right away. Watch the whole season, and get as wide a breadth of the teams and their respective play styles, philosophies, and even transfer policies as you can. Watch them in the various competitions and make an informed decision. You will be called a bandwagoner no matter who you choose, so there is really no point in feeling sorry for yourself and picking the shittiest team in the league at the moment. It won't win you any credit. And if you really want like you said here:
> i prefer starting with a mediocre team and watching them grow over the years.
Then simply choose a promoted team next season and stick with them.

Aston Villa have a PL record this year of 1-2-11. There is no reason outside of self-flagellation that you would want to watch them. You are trying to get into the sport right now, and watching the shittiest teams play is not going to help you want to continue watching. And if it's history you want there are plenty of teams with just as decent of a history as Villa that you could choose from and who aren't playing like absolute shit at the moment.
>>
>>63944548
not him but,
Would you want to watch the fucking Chicago Fire? To be tied to them for the rest of your soccer watching life?
>>
>>63945505
>United fan
>lives in London

What a fucking surprise.
>>
>>63936259
Spurs is the perfect choice for you. Not champion-level good, but good enough where it's fun watching. Also it helps that the current group of players are young have a lot of potential to grow.
>>
File: Seattle_Sounders_FC.jpg (243 KB, 1365x1024) Image search: [Google]
Seattle_Sounders_FC.jpg
243 KB, 1365x1024
>>63936176
Why don't you try rooting for the Seattle Sounders? We have a ton of history and we are on our way to becoming one of the top teams in the world. Also, they're American so you don't have to watch English divegrass.
>>
I suggest you watch some games for at least a month or two and then you can decide which team you like based on how they play, their story, the stadium and other factors. Don't pick a team you don't know.
Remember, if you want to pick a team, you only get to pick once. Once you pick a team there's no turning back and you can't ever change to another one. You can stop watching them, you can stop watching the sport but you can't ever support another team.
Take your time. Choose wisely.
>>
>>63946467
/thread
>>
Villa are right on course to beat the lowest points record fwiw
>>
>>63936176
Watch NBA you faggot...
>>
File: image_8.jpg (95 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image_8.jpg
95 KB, 800x600
>yfw da bears win da fifa world Cup
>>
Support real Madrid like me la
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.