[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Have you noticed this pseudo-rigourous obsession with statistics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /sp/ - Sports

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8
File: 1-NE7EZCE37ZdiuWceLw6LwQ.jpg (49 KB, 650x366) Image search: [Google]
1-NE7EZCE37ZdiuWceLw6LwQ.jpg
49 KB, 650x366
Have you noticed this pseudo-rigourous obsession with statistics americans have? You can have a guy who does nothing but win but they'll still say he's shit if his index finger length to rushing yards ratio isn't good enough.

You see people like romo, dalton, matt ryan etc who have never won a single play off game in ten years each, but they've got a good qb rating (wtf is this lol) or something and people pretend they're good.

This is proof that the USA would be shit at football / soccer even if it only played that sport. Good players come from a good footballing culture, not an obsession with 40 yard dashes

>inb4 b-but muh 40 yard dash
>>
It's because of fantasy football, it's ruined being a fan.
>>
>>63875742
nope i havent noticed that
>>
>>63875742

Here's the thing retard, unlike your shit tier sport where 1 guy can win games by himself while jogging, it takes a whole team sprinting to win at ours

You guys play tic/tac/toe compared to our chessboxing
>>
>>63875742

Because some of them are idiots who don't actually know anything about their chosen sport?

In my experience in the UK, anybody who recites stats without any context does so because they don't actually understand the game. So they have to resort to inane comments like "player X made 10 tackles, therefore he is better than play Y who made 8 tackles".

It's a sporting false equivalence.
>>
Handegg is so boring that you have to focus on statistics.
>>
It gives Americans a sense of control over the sport. By using and claiming statistics, it makes the sport slightly more predictable.

It's all shit. Athletes shit the bed, have a bad day, and lose it all.
>>
good players put up good stats
good teams put up good wins
>>
>>63876557
I saw hundreds of threads where amerikucks discuss seriously how brady is not great because bill belichick is the real champion. Your sport is so shit that a fat guy not even at the field is the most important piece of the game.
>>
>>63876767
not the most important, all the coaching staff in the world dont mean dick if the players cant execute. and the head coach isnt the one in control most of the time, the coordinators on the sidelines and in the booths who are analyzing the opposition are just as important, its a true team effort
>>
>>63875742
Baseball lends itself to be stat driven, although cricket is the same way. Not much stat nonsense going on in hockey, tbf.
Basketball does have its stats overload, but basically American sports tend to have a stat bias, and Yuro sports dont

There's also a direct correlation between entertainment and relevancy of stats. The more relevant stats are to a sport, the shitter it is.
>>
>>63876767

>discuss seriously

People who argue this are dumb. Belicheat coached the Browns before the Patriots and they were a losing team. It's more likely Brady makes Belicheat look good than vice versa.
>>
>>63875742
lots of variables go into winning, so the "he just wins" crowd are actually easy to spot retards.
>>
>>63876995
18+
>>
What the fuck would you even keep track of in divegrass?

>goals scored
>assists
>clears
>centers

That's literally it. There's nothing else to track. You can watch a left back play for 45 minutes and all he'll have done is kick the ball downfield four times which hardly matters since the ball predictably comes back his way 2 minutes later.

It's because soccer is different. In freedom football, a pass is either complete or its not, a rush goes for a certain number of yards, a defender either blocks his assignment or not, a team has a certain third down completion percentage, it's all statistical. But in soccer there's no objective measure of progress because the only challenge in the game is trying again and again and again to get in a decent formation to score. In the NFL, if you've put a ball within 10 yards from the place where you score, you've done a hell of a good job. In soccer, if you've put a ball within 10 yards from the place where you score, it doesn't signify anything at all. You could have just kicked a little dribbler to the goalie and completely gave the ball away and it would still count in the stats. As far as stats are concerned, you've done nothing significant until you've actually scored or had a chance to score, or defended if you're on defense. It works the same for the NHL.
>>
>>63877232
you forgot %possession my friend, if you win the possession game, youve already won
>>
>>63877232

>What the fuck would you even keep track of in divegrass?

Interceptions? Distance ran? Shots? Shots on target? Crosses? Passes? Dribbles? Defenders beaten? Tackles made?

And so on.
>>
>>63877232
>What the fuck would you even keep track of in divegrass?

Only goals tb.h Everything else has so many variables tacked, you can't keep track of all of them, and even if you do, you ignore the most important things about soccer: positioning and movement.
>>
is there a soccer stat detailing how much time a player has spent on the ground after a foul

who leads the soccer league in this stat that we should refer to as 'ass on grass time'
>>
>>63875742
I agree. Winning trumps all.
Cam Newton is an example. He's really a top 5 QB, but not many agree because "muh stats"
>>
>>63876995
bro he took them to multiple playoff berths and even a superb owl where the would have beaten the buncos if their rb didn't fumble on the goal line, EDUCATE YOURSELF NIGGA
>>
There are stats which are generally indicative of how good a player is, and there are stats that are ultimately worthless. QBR is one such stat.

ESPN rolled out QBR several years ago and touted it as the be all, end all measurement of quarterback strength, but have kept the formula secret from the public for whatever asinine reason. Just check the top QBR games of all time to see how ridiculous it is, it's a stat that should never be taken seriously in any context.
>>
File: gender5.jpg (10 KB, 352x234) Image search: [Google]
gender5.jpg
10 KB, 352x234
this man right here has it right
>I know a player is good just by looking at him
>I don't care about what stats say

players like romo are hot garbage. the only people that have faith in him are JJ, skip and cowboy nation. everyone else knows he's a supreme choker that won't ever sniff the NFC title game.

QBR get fucked.
>>
>>63876995
greatest coach since lambaeu and you think this?

wew lad
>>
>>63878669
That was schottenheimer. Bellichick did get them in the playoffs once though, and they were getting owl buzz when they dropped the hammer and moved the team.
>>
>tfw youre not 5-0 when down by six points with 5:30 left in the 3rd quarter on a sunday evening when its roughly under 40 degrees out with a little bit of humidity

kill urself my man
>>
File: chicken parm throws ints.jpg (329 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
chicken parm throws ints.jpg
329 KB, 1920x1080
>>63875742
>All he does is win
>Teboq

You can't fluxom my fanny, OP.

But, somewhere in that massive shitpost is a kernel of truth: Stats hardly tell the whole story. If statbabies were right, Peyton Manning would be a better QB than Tom Brady, and anyone with eyes can see that's not the case
>>
>>63875742
Americans are in general smarter than British people. Americans are therefore better at collecting various statistics and applying those statistics in a way that helps them make informed descisions on coaching. The less intelligent Brits are instead forced to rely on "muh footballing culture" due to their inability to comprehend complex statistics.
>>
>>63879776
It's well known that Peyton is better than Brady. Only people who struggle crossing the street think otherwise.
>>
>>63875742

americans try and lend empirical credibility to their bullshit with more than just sports anon. fat neckbeard families sit around the dinner table, settling arguments 'rationally' from stats about who should pass the salt because they have the best salt completion percentage.
>>
>>63880246
>Americans passing the salt
>not carrying around personal salt packets in their fanny packs
>>
File: chicken parm is all i got.jpg (43 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
chicken parm is all i got.jpg
43 KB, 500x281
>>63880219
>I like losing superbowls
>I like throwing INTs
>My career is in the trash
>Tendons in my feet explode
>I lost to my former team
>Liked it so much I did it twice
>>
>anti stats people
This is why Europeans are and will always be second class. This kind of anti intellectual bullshit is trendy here on 8th grade 4chan, but in the real world you need things like measurements to determine what is most efficient and best at anything

>muh winning magic
Stay ignorant. Americans are looking deeper
>>
File: image.jpg (82 KB, 750x336) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82 KB, 750x336
>>63880219
>peyton
>>
Weak foreigner banter itt
>>
File: 213325467.jpg (19 KB, 197x228) Image search: [Google]
213325467.jpg
19 KB, 197x228
>>63875742

Your right OP

don't listen to these other patsfags OP they are just the bandwagon from last years SB

Real pats fans love Tebow
>>
>>63880278
Can confirm, I got my first fanny pack for my fifth birthday and I always keep it full of salt packets like my mom taught me.
>>
File: 5x5Janitor.jpg (53 KB, 1183x778) Image search: [Google]
5x5Janitor.jpg
53 KB, 1183x778
>mfw stats fags try to tell me that Cam Newton isn't having that good of a year.
>>
>>63877365
Go away pep
>>
>>63877365
fuck off Pep
>>
>>63877365
desu, possession is an underrated stat in American Football.
>>
>>63875742
The problem with Tebow is regardless of his stats, he isn't a very good QB. I'm sure there are soccer players who scored goals in big games and didn't stick around very long either.
>>
>>63878059
Positioning and movement aren't tracked though.
>>
>>63882007
>wins everywhere he goes
>takes team with shit record to a playoff win
>Peyton comes in
>they go one and done with a better team.
>>
File: Yedlin-Heat-Map.png (95 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Yedlin-Heat-Map.png
95 KB, 1024x768
>>63877232
whats this then?
>>
>>63875742
>all he does is win
that means the defense is carrying him

see Wilson, Kap, Eli, ect
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.